Start by marking “The Best Time of Day” as Want to Read:
The Best Time of Day

The Best Time of Day

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  69 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
On this busy little farm, day begins with a loud crow at sunup, and then there are flapjacks to be flipped, cows to be milked, piggies to feed . . . and in the blink of an eye, it's nighttime. This joyful rhyming celebration of everyday life is just right for bedtime.
Published May 1st 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Time of Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Time of Day

Kelly
Very sweet and simple. Various members of a farm family have different favorite times of the day.
Danette
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute
2/28/17 Read with Naomi and Julia.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
The best time of day is different for people as well as animals. Spinelli shares one farm families day of bests. It's a fun book full of rhyming phrases. I trimmed the story for my young listeners. I only used the top two lines out of the four during storytime except the first and last couple pages. The paragraphs switched off between an actual time (2pm) and a reference to time (midmorning). It's a great book for an introduction to time. When a number would be apart of the story we could also t ...more
Alice
Jul 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-75-stars
3.75 stars The best time of day is right before I go to bed...all my tasks accomplished and ready to sleep.

I like the pictures and the different aspect of the farm and neighborhood. Some people are early risers, some are night owls, another great one by Eileen Spinelli. I think I know who is going to be my next author spotlight!!
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Told in rhyme, "The Best Time of Day" is a lighthearted children's book that chronicles the favorite time of day of each member of a farm family--including the animals, of course--progressing from morning to night. The color illustrations are nice but not spectacular. Overall, this makes a good bedtime story.
Sandy McDowell
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute twist at the end.

The best time of day for everyone is when they make a connection with someone, somehow--even if it's with your parakeet while singing in the shower. Except for the marmalade cat, of course, her best time of day is not connecting with anyone!
Maeghan Librarian
Cute rhyming book about farm life routines.
Kim
Apr 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Would be a good book for teaching kids time of day, but it's lengthy so I don't think it would be good for a storytime.
Cassandra
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Cute book. Another book my son brought home from school. Not one I would buy, but definitely one I enjoyed reading to him.
Kristy
Oct 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The best time of day is reading this book to my little guy! We both love it. It reminds me of growing up on my grandparents' farm. Ah, memories!
Kristin
Jun 05, 2008 rated it did not like it
not a good book. too many gender stereotypes
Sara K
Kristi
Mar 11, 2014
Courtney
Nov 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Thanks for the recommendation Kristy.
Melinda
Jun 22, 2009
Emily
Jun 29, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Eileen Spinelli, wife of famed children's author Jerry Spinelli, is an award winning children's book author from southeastern Pennsylvania.
More about Eileen Spinelli...