Start by marking “Ravens of Avalon: Avalon Book 3” as Want to Read:
Ravens of Avalon: Avalon Book 3

Ravens of Avalon: Avalon Book 3

(Avalon #6)

Marion Zimmer Bradleys beloved Avalon saga continues in a fine tribute to Bradley and the real-world triumphs and tragedy of Boudica.(Publishers Weekly)

Epic in its sweep and peopled by the remarkable women who have always inhabited Avalon, Marion Zimmer Bradleys Ravens of Avalon expands the legendary saga that has enchanted millions of readers over the years and is sure to
Published August 5th 2008 by Roc Trade (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Ravens of Avalon, please sign up.
mirabilos The books are numbered in the order they came out. However, the stories in them are not chronologically  this is called a prequel, a sequel that plays…moreThe books are numbered in the order they came out. However, the stories in them are not chronologically — this is called a “prequel”, a sequel that plays earlier instead of later than its antecestor.

I’d personally recommend reading them in the order they came out.(less)

Start your review of Ravens of Avalon: Avalon Book 3
Ronda  Tutt
I wasn't sure about this book in the beginning but I am so glad I kept reading after I understood who all the tribes were and figured out how the time era was related to Avalon.

Personally I thought the story wasn't focused around Avalon itself as in being in the location upon Tor. This story is more wrapped in Romes Conquest of Britannia and the rebellion by Queen Boudica.

This was my first time to read anything about Queen Boudica and I have to say I loved her as a hero even though her last war
Donna LaValley
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was eager to read a novel that followed up on The Mists of Avalon, a 5-star book if ever there was one, and took this up for a cozy winter read. Well, cozy it was not!

First, this was not written by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It is among the prequels and sequels (of The Mists of Avalon) written mostly by Diana Paxson, some of which were with Marion ZB.

I was happy to read it and also happy to finish it. It covers the period of time when Romans conquered and occupied Briton. There are very many
Jayme(the ghost reader)
This is the first story I have read about Boudica. I have been a fan of hers for awhile. I enjoyed the story. The beginning was slow and therefore hard to get into the story at first. It did pick up and I am glad I stuck it out. It took me awhile to get through this book.
Sherwood Smith
This is a prequel to Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Forest House. Paxson worked closely on the Avalon stories with Bradley, carrying on the tales with Bradley's blessing, and as she'd envisioned. I think that that showsPaxson's version fits seamlessly with the others. The truth (for me) is, though Bradley was a pioneer, and her Darkover novels gave me a lot of reading zip when I was in my twenties, I prefer Paxson's writing style, and also her characters: they show more subtlety, depth, and ...more
Andrea
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi, american, epic
This is an amazing story of the legendary figure Boudica, a Celtic princess and her mentor Lhiannon, a priestess on the Druid's Isle. This is a tale of passion and war. The war is for the rule of Britain, between the Romans and the people who inhabit the Isle. The great Boudica rouses the British tribes and fight valiantly to drive the Romans out. A well written and passionate account, the author stays true to the stories and the legends created in the brilliant imagination of Marion Zimmer ...more
Rachel
Nov 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Jules
Jun 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
MY TAKE: I really enjoyed this book and read it fairly quickly. I always knew about Boudica being a Celtic heroine, but had never read much more than that. The author(s) wove historical facts in seamlessly with the story of Avalon. I really want to learn even more about Boudica now.

This book veered a bit off the path from focusing on the story of the Isle of Avalon. It was primarily the story of Boudica and Lhiannon (both very strong women) and their life-long connection. I liked that the
Chris
Dec 22, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
MZB is one of my all time favorite writers. I like both her Avalon series and the Darkover stories and the common thread of strong women. It's not often that people keep writing books after they die, but MZB started to collaborate w/ Diane Paxton prior to her death, and Paxton has continued writing based on the stories that MZB created. With this novel though I was highly dissappointed. First of all what I have always liked about the Avalon stories was that is was all about the women, and not ...more
Emily
Jul 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Paxon is a really good writer, but like other people have said, she lacks atmosphere. She needs to describe the air and sky more. Also, as with a few other of the Avalon books, the pacing is really jarring -- Years go by when it really doesn't feel like years. The timeline keeps leaping forward. People are suddenly in their thirties when they were seemingly just twelve years old. About sixteen years goes by in the novel, but it only feels to the reader like five years. Technically I ...more
Connie
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a compelling story. Of course I cared about Boudica and Llianon, but I fell in love with Prasutigos. I especially liked what Boudica did on her wedding day! *G* And my heart went out to Ardanos as well as to Llianon when they discovered their mistake.

Also very moving were the battles on Mona and Boudica's final battle. The sacking of Colonia, Londinium, and Verlamion were wrenching. I could well understand Boudica's ambivalence matched my own. The writing brought everything to life, or
Anna
This telling of the story of Boudica weaves the warrior queen's life into the mythology of Bradley's Avalon. It's an interesting tale, but the fast pace of the book leaves little room for character development. The characters and their relationships rely heavily archetypes based of Bradley's other works, so if you haven't read Mists of Avalon the lack of the character development in this novel might leave you feeling uninvested in the people or their plight. If you have been a fan of the Avalon ...more
Barbara
This was a bit of a disappointment. Both as an installment in the Avalon series as a book about Boudica. I have come to expect strong women in the Avalon series and I find them lacking here. They are driven by circumstances like sheep instead of being strong and fight. The only times Boudica fights is when she is taken over by the Goddess and that is not strength. Also I have come to expect another kind of woman for Boudica. I know not much is known about her but I can't imagine her being on the ...more
Paul
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story based on the history of the Roman occupation of Britain and Queen Boudicca's resistance. Interweaved beautifully, though, I appreciated the authoritative illustration of ancient Druid lore and rituals which resonated at some level in my Celtic bones.
Guin
Dec 01, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one!
Marion Zimmer Bradley she's not. It doesn't help that we already know the outcome of this story, obviously - or the world would be a very different place.
Cyndy
Aug 16, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Avalon series. I rented this at the library, but I may have to buy it one of these days. It's one I would like to have in my collection.
Katy Wilmotte
This was my first foray into the world of the Avalon novels, and I must say, I enjoyed it and will be coming back for more. Without having the benefit Marion Zimmer Bradley's framework, however, I must judge Ravens of Avalon solely on its own merits.

First of all, I listened to this on audiobook, which was a mistake. The reader's voice is grating, and all the Celtic names and places are impossible to keep separate while you're also trying to get into the far left lane and not get your car
Maja Helena
Actual Rating: 2.5 Stars

Ravens of Avalon as better than the previous 2 book. It still wasnt what I would call a good book, but it wasnt bad I guess we can call it decent.

In this installment of the Avalon Saga we follow a new character, celtic princess/warrior queen Boudica and the younger versions of characters we have met in a previous installment. This book mainly served the purpose of showing what happened at Mona, which it did a decent job of.

Paxsons writing was fine, but it is completely
Margaret
This book based on Marion Zimmer Bradley's "Avalon" series moves into true historical territory with one of the principals of the story being Boudica.

There's less of Avalon in this one. More on how Avalon became the successor to Mona after the dreadful massacre of the Druids.

The main thrust of the story is the Roman conquest of Britain and the Iceni lead uprising that destroyed three towns and created a legend.

As you would expect with a title like "Ravens of Avalon" The Morrigan plays a large
Kelly
Sep 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first time I read this book was when it was brand new, so about 11-12 years ago. I loved it back then. I still like stories about Boudica and Celts in general, but as it turns out, I'm not such a fan of the writing style anymore. It comes across as a bit old fashioned now, which makes total sense since it has been written so many years ago. It was great back then, though.
Feathzzz
There's certain charm to this story in the whispering, eerie power of the voice at times. At other times it falls into a cheap cliche with too much "embrace the goddess"! When the voice does come through it gives me shivers. Over all the plot is well paced, enough to keep interest. There's interesting elements that drive the story and the character development was well done.
Jacqueline
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy this book because it gave some good background info on the legendary warrior, Boudica. I loved Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon and several others. Not sure if it was because this writer is not Marion Zimmer Bradley or if it wasn't "new" regarding the Druid and Priestess practices but the character relationships were very good.
Keso Shengelia
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ravens of Avalon fits well in Marion Zimmer Bradley's history of Avalon. Diana Paxson continues the story with well developed characters and a very believable story line. Queen Boudica's storyline was good and impressive but to my mind this is the weakest part from the series of Avalon.
Literarian Shawty
Even thought this book is of a similar written quality as the rest of the trilogy, I have found it the most difficult read. A lot of focus was on the battles and politics which were exceedingly boring for me as I was more interested to see the way of life as it was highlighted in previous books.
Sadie
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe because of the well known characters, but this book is one of my favorites of the Avalon series, bringing the story of Boudicca to startlingly vivid color!
Kirundo
Jul 23, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-finished
I just couldn't get into the story this time. I do barely remember having read it once but this time I just couldn't finish it.
Tim
This was another disappointment. Paxson is no Bradley, and the story never really picks up.
Linnea Tanner
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Avalon Series and Historical Fantasy
"The Ravens of Avalon" by Diana L. Paxson is a sweeping blend of legend, history, and magic of the Roman conquest of Britannia. The story expands on Marion Zimmer Bradley's Avalon series. The story is told from the perspective of two women. Lliannon is a serene and powerful priestess trained on the isle of Mona. Boudica is a strong-willed and defiant Celtic princess sent to the isle of Mona to learn the ways of the Druids. The story spans almost two decades from when Emperor Claudius invades ...more
Melissa
Apr 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Despite being a part of the "Mists of Avalon" series, this book was not actually written by Marion Zimmer Bradley. However, it was written by a woman who did co-author several books with her, and the similarity of their voices make it seem as if they are one and the same.

Ravens of Avalon tells the story of Boudica. Boudica was actually a real life queen who waged war against the Romans. This fictional telling of her story has her start life as a young royal who is sent to train with the druids
Kristen
Jte argent
May 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Hey, I just finished reading Raven's of Avalon by Diana L. Paxson. It's an expansion/back story to Marion Zimmer Bradley's Avalon series ... and wow! I could not put this down. I kept reading very late into the night/early in the am.

It's the life of Boudica, the Celtic Queen, from youth through motherhood and on as she transforms into the Red-Warrior Queen of the British tribes.

This is a really fabulous piece of storytelling, weaving legend, magick and history. Ms. Paxson's attention to the
« previous 1 3 4 next »
history 1 8 Aug 23, 2008 04:28AM

• The Fall of Atlantis (The Fall of Atlantis, #1-2)
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
  • Web of Darkness (The Fall of Atlantis, #2)
  • Web of Light (The Fall of Atlantis, #1)
  • The Firebrand
  • The Stone Angel
  • Ride Every Stride
  • The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard)
  • Le Morte D'Arthur - Volume I
  • Ecclesiastical History of the English People
  • Wicca for Beginners: Fundamentals of Philosophy & Practice
  • Dragon's Blood (Pit Dragon Chronicles, #1)
  • A Ilha de Melquisedech . Mnemon
  • Killing Pythagoras
  • El asesinato de Sócrates
  • Horses Of The Rain (The Outback Riders Book 4)
  • Horses of the Fire (Outback Riders #3)
  • Não Te Deixarei Morrer, David Crockett
Diana L. Paxson (born 1943) is a novelist and author of nonfiction, primarily in the fields of Paganism and Heathenism. Her published works include fantasy and historical fiction novels, as well as numerous short stories. More recently she has also published nonfiction books about Pagan and Heathen religions and practices.

In addition to her multiple novels and collaborations, she has written over

Avalon (7 books)
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
  • The Forest House (Avalon, #2)
  • Lady of Avalon (Avalon, #3)
  • Priestess of Avalon (Avalon, #4)
  • Marion Zimmer Bradley's Ancestors of Avalon (Avalon, #5)
  • Sword of Avalon (Avalon #7)