Start by marking “The Whole Life Adoption Book: Realistic Advice for Building a Healthy Adoptive Family” as Want to Read:

Authors Jayne E. Schooler and Thomas C. Atwood share insights into every aspect of adoption. This powerful resource addresses the needs and concerns facing adoptive parents while offering encouragement for the journey ahead.
Published April 7th 2008 by NavPress (first published March 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Whole Life Adoption Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whole Life Adoption Book

Jenny (Reading Envy)
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adoption, read2019, own
One of the better books on adoption that I've read, but fair warning: it comes from a Christian perspective. Most of the time this is tolerable, as it's in the background and the intro but near the end the author just gets LAZY and pulls stuff like talking about how to love your child unconditionally, and I kid you not, says, "Well, the Bible really puts it best" and quotes I Corinthians in place of writing any of her own words. But if you can put up with that occasional misstep it takes a good ...more
Rachel N
A 3-star resource for adoption in general. It was a good "starter" book as we began our adoption process. I particularly gleaned insights from the chapter on transcultural adoption, a well as a few additional nuggets throughout. However, I find myself wanting more depth. I'm looking forward to reading more books specific to toddler adoption and transcultural adoption.
Bob Bellamy
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This a very good introduction to almost all aspects of adoption, from deciding to adopt to issues that may arise with adopted children through their adulthood. It is a great resource that I will keep on the shelf and reference from time to time as my wife and I continue to go through this process!
Erin
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Maybe more of a 1.5. I would not recommend b/c of broad brush with which they paint situations or individuals--"unwed mothers" and the "tragedy" of some of their "lifestyles," how some behaviors can "rip away at the beauty and foundation of this unique relationship of promise." The bothersome language and underlying judgments put me off to the point that it was difficult to focus on the info being presented.
Willow
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very resourceful. A comprehensive read for anyone contemplating adoption.
Dakotah Gumm
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A bit short for a "whole life" overview of the adoption, but it's a good jumping off point for adoptive families who want a resource to help them begin dealing with the difficulties of adoption.
Jessica
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jessica by: Our home study social worker
This was recommended by the social worker who did our home study, and overall it was a good recommendation. Unlike some other adoption books I've read, which either focused on the logistics of adopting a child or glossed over the challenges to try to sell the reader on adoption, this book is fairly comprehensive in its information on choosing between the different adoption processes, talking about adoption with your child at different stages of their life, and dealing with potential issues uniqu ...more
Sep 22, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is considering adoption
Another required book on our reading list, but very informative. It has a few good chapters for dealing with things later on in life that I'm sure we'll use as our child grows. It's more of a "text-book" read, so make sure you're in the mood to learn and not be "caught up" in a story.
Ashli
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I felt like this gave me a broader picture of the mindset of an adopted child and also how to parent and create connections with said child, by offering up a clearly idea of what they are experiencing. Also loaded with practical advice.
Mawdawgie
May 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Healthy book for those who are considering adoption, have adopted and or are friends and family associated to adoptive children.
Monica Garcia
Nov 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must for anyone adopting.
Elsa
Feb 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, adoption
This is a great starter book or maybe a book to pass down to a friend/family member who wants to learn more about adoption. I didn't read anything new or that I had not heard or read before.
Eva Bridges
Really helpful and thorough. I'm glad it was required reading for our particular agency. I would recommend it to anyone considering adoption.
Regina
Jun 24, 2017
Janet
Dec 08, 2011
Cara
rated it did not like it
May 19, 2011
Jun 11, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Attaching in Adoption: Practical Tools for Today's Parents
  • Toddler Adoption: The Weaver's Craft
  • Raising Adopted Children: Practical Reassuring Advice for Every Adoptive Parent
  • Being Adopted: The Lifelong Search for Self
  • Lost  Found: The Adoption Experience
  • In on It: What Adoptive Parents Would Like You to Know about Adoption: A Guide for Relatives and Friends
  • Adoption Nation How The Adoption Revolution Is Transforming America