Start by marking “Simple Taoism: A Guide to Living in Balance” as Want to Read:
Simple Taoism: A Guide to Living in Balance

Simple Taoism: A Guide to Living in Balance

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  126 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Simple Taoism is designed to help the reader understand what Taoism is about and to help apply its best aspects to everyday living. Divided into three parts, the book outlines:
A clear explanation of Taoism and how to apply its best aspects to your daily life.
Simple instructions for exercises to lead a fuller life—meditation, breathing, chi kung, and tai chi chuan.
An inform
Published May 15th 1999 by Tuttle Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Simple Taoism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simple Taoism

Jessica
May 27, 2011 rated it liked it
I hate it when writers add their own original poems (and almost always, not very good ones) to a book about something else entirely. Ancient Chinese poets' work in a book about Taoism--yes. C. Alexander Simpkins' self-promoting verses--no thank you.
Evan
Aug 31, 2012 rated it liked it
The history of Taoism was fascinating but the book kind of sputtered out in its discussion of exercises, meditation etc
Karen
Aug 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book reads like a text book. It is very boring and not even that good of information. It takes a long time to say very little, which is kind of the opposite of what Tao is.
Margaret
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A perfect little book (6x6 and 150 pages) that gives you the history of Tao (interesting), themes of Taos (inspiring), and the practicality of Tao (actions and life benefits). I loved how it presented non doing, non being, yet how it fits into a career and real life. It helped me with free will and destiny issues, self control and letting go, and hopefully has me on the best path for me to fully develop and become all that I hope to be. I believe it is quite a different thought process from my p ...more
JAKe Hatmacher
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
My first book on Tao and its ism. Nice short and rather succinct read. Interesting to see relationships with other belief systems although the book did not attempt to do that. I think if you have spiritual beliefs, you are likely to compare Tao to your current or evolving beliefs.
I enjoyed reading it and even passed along some tid bits on FB. I tried some of the simple exercises and breathing recommended, too. Don't try the exercises combined with the deep breathing with your eyes closed though.
Eli Brooke
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
I've had this book for years, but never really got around to reading it straight through. I picked it up the other night because I had run out of anything new to read, and because I'm interested in delving into Tao and Zen right now.
I'm getting a lot better sense of the history of Taoism, from the classic texts and masters to the transformation into multiple religious sects, but the writing style leaves a lot to be desired. It's a very short book but I seem to have already abandoned it again in
Rachelle
Dec 06, 2011 rated it liked it
This book has a lot of good information. I am glad I own it, so I can use it as a reference for different meditations and tai chi exercises. I think the book was good at giving you small summaries of different parts of taoism (tai chi, feng shui, meditations) It made me want to read more on those topics, but didn't really give you enough information on any one thing. It was a little scattered.
Joseph “Millennium Man”
I read up to the third section and skimmed through the rest. Maybe I was disappointed because I was expecting the content to be more spiritual. It was not a fault of the author.
Paul
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I appreciate the time out of mind learned from this book. I can now sit for hours in the dark undisturbed by my thoughts.
Jacqueline
Apr 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
A quick read with a few interesting things here and there, but a lot of it was boring. Great topic, but the writing and flow didn't make it all that interesting.
Anthony
Sep 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
A good overview, with practical applications for daily life.
Melissa Falgier
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Very informational. There wasn't much philosophy in it till the end. The book physically smelled spicy which is nothing like I ever experienced before lol.
Ty
Jul 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
It was ok. Stuff I already knew from other books. More worried about the history of the religion than in actually exploring its practical daily uses, despite title.
Mike Simpson
Apr 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love books about eastern religeon, so this was up my alley.
Eve
Apr 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I have ever read. It's a guide to living life more enlightening than any "religious" text I have ever read. I highly recommend this book.
Dominik Nowak
Douglas Donaldson
Jan 24, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Tales from the Tao: The Wisdom of the Taoist Masters
  • I'm Fine with God... It's Christians I Can't Stand: Getting Past the Religious Garbage in the Search for Spiritual Truth
  • Coffee with The Buddha (Coffee with...Series)
  • Barefoot Doctor's Guide to the Tao: A Spiritual Handbook for the Urban Warrior
  • Chronicles of Tao: The Secret Life of a Taoist Master
  • Aikido and the Harmony of Nature
  • Survival Tips for Women with AD/HD: Beyond Piles, Palms,  Post-its
  • The Book of Chuang Tzu
  • The Essential Mystics: Selections from the World's Great Wisdom Traditions
  • The Scalpel and the Silver Bear: The First Navajo Woman Surgeon Combines Western Medicine and Traditional Healing
  • The Tao of Daily Life: The Mysteries of the Orient Revealed The Joys of Inner Harmony Found The Path to  Enlightenment Illuminated
  • Saffron Dreams
  • The Chakras (Quest Book)
  • Forty Days (Neima's Ark, #1)

Nonfiction Deals

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99