Start by marking “Femei în știință. 50 de femei temerare care au schimbat lumea” as Want to Read:
Femei în știință. 50 de femei temerare care au schimbat lumea

Femei în știință. 50 de femei temerare care au schimbat lumea

„Femei în știință surprinde bucuria din spatele atâtor descoperiri fundamentale, sărbătorind în același timp viețile extraordinare ale femeilor care le-au făcut.“
Rachel Swaby, autoarea cărții Headstrong: 52 Women Who Changed Science—and the World

„Mi-aș dori să am o fetiță ca să îi dau cartea asta. Rachel Ignotofsky le oferă tinerelor femei curajul și încrederea să urmeze c
Published September 14th 2018 by Editura Nemira (first published July 26th 2016)

Susana González This book can perfectly be read by a child, because there is only four or five paragraphs for every scientist, with many drawings and summary sentence…moreThis book can perfectly be read by a child, because there is only four or five paragraphs for every scientist, with many drawings and summary sentences inserted in it. The language, though there are scientific words (usually explain in the same paragraph) is very simple, for everybody, and up-to-date.
When a was 9, I liked the science and read all that I could about it, but there weren’t this kind of books for every age. I would have loved it.
I hope she enjoy it.(less)

Start your review of Femei în știință. 50 de femei temerare care au schimbat lumea
shakespeareandspice
Bury me with this book.
Book Riot Community
I love books that can be enjoyed by children and adults alike, and Rachel Ignotofsky’s Women in Science fits the bill perfectly. It’s an illustrated collection of short biographies on fifty female pioneers in the STEM field. The stories of these inspiring innovators are accompanied by stunning illustrations. This book is an absolute joy to read. Buy one for every girl and woman in your life!

–Kate Scott

from The Best Books We Read In July 2016: http://bookriot.com/2016/08/01/riot-r...
Theresa Alan
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book for my niece’s sixth birthday and we read it together along with her mom. I loved the illustrations and learned a lot about women I’ve never even heard of, such as physicist Lise Meitner, who was driven out of Germany during WWII because she was Jewish—and was thus denied her half of the Nobel Prize for her findings in nuclear fusion. I also learned more about women I have heard of, such as Jane Goodall, Marie Curie, and Rachel Carson.

The obstacles these women faced are appal
Kate
Please read this book. Buy a copy for your niece and your little brother and your obnoxious uncle who thinks he understands the world because he majored in history 40 years ago. Buy one for your local elementary school. Buy one for friends who haven't even had babies yet, because they're going to want their kids to have this. ...more
etherealfire
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This gorgeously illustrated, easy and fun to read, slim little volume full of fun facts is a must-read for girls of all ages (including mine)! I am so in love with this gorgeously packaged, inspirational little gem that I am going have to invest in a permanent copy for my bookshelf. This is a keeper!
Amanda
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, comics
I found this quite readable for the way it was published, which necessarily throws a lot of information and names at you one after another. I learned quite a few scientific tidbits whilst reading about these noteworthy women. The infographics and illustrations were really wonderful. The information provided was a perfect blend of biography, fun facts and scientific explanations. I highly recommend this, especially as a gift for anyone interested in science, women, history, art and pretty books!
Lata
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: auth-f, x2018-read
Quirky, whimsical illustrations accompany 1-page biographies of each female scientist. Each woman profiled worked incredibly hard, and was subjected to all sorts of resistance since women were either believed to be unable to learn, or forbidden to learn, or had a variety of obstacles thrown in their way, both at school and at work. And yet the amazing things each of the featured women did, contributing equations, methodologies, techniques and approaches still in use, or that became critical step ...more
Britt / Basically Britt
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Such an interesting and inspiring read!!
Also LOVED the illustrations!
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Perfect for what it is: a vibrantly illustrated series of snapshots of influential, inspirational women in science, aimed at younger readers. It's beautiful to look at, and the casual, peppy style just made me happy while reading it. The bios are short, but tantalizing. I want very badly to know more about some of these scientists.

Even though I've read quite a few popular science books, I was only familiar with a handful of these 50 women (even enough to recognize names), which is a shame.
BookNightOwl
What a great fast read on remarkable women who made a change in this world. Women who risked their lives and made their dreams come true to discover things that we use and know today.
Pam
This book irritated the heck out of me. I am a scientist and a children's book writer (and a woman). I was super excited to read it. But there were so many factual misrepresentations and errors in the introduction alone that I didn't know if I could trust anything in the book. It wasn't until I got to the profile of Lise Meitner that I wanted to throw the book across the room, though.

First off, Meitner came from a well-educated, well-off family. Though it was, in general, less common for women t
Jason Koivu
One of the drawbacks of listening to audiobooks is that you don't see the book. Had I seen this I would have realized it wasn't made for a nearly 50-year-old reader. This is, however, a solid primer designed for young readers. I figured it out when the narrator used "poop" when "feces" could have been used. Oh well, I still enjoyed the book and learned a little bit about a few of the lesser known women in the STEM fields.

I bought my 10-year-old niece a book very much like this for Christmas. In
Kelly
I hate the description of this being "charming" because that's so diminutive, but this book is damn charming. The illustrations are excellent and the scientists that Ignotofsky highlights feature those whose names we know (like Marie Curie) and those who we don't. It's inclusive, and it's just the right amount of information written out to intrigue readers to want to know more. The design, which features short facts about the women featured, does a huge service so that it's not information overl ...more
Anna
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic
great book and a great gift suggestion to any girl/woman interested in or doing science! I love the illustration and all texts are as informed as needed for such a book... Totally suggested
Merewyn
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
:D Inspiring! Now I feel like I can take on the world after reading about all of these phenomenal extraordinary people who faced all manner of set backs and challenges in their lives! :)

I would most DEFINITELY Recommend this to anyone who has young daughters, or just to anyone who wants to learn about women's contributions to science and the STEM fields as a whole!

Most of these women I had Never heard of in my life! I didn't know that Jocelyn Bell Burnell discovered the pulsar, or that Vera R
Eva
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is such a delight, well-researched but accessible, fun but encouraging and educational. It acknowledges in full how hard it was and still is for women to have the same access to education, funding and resources as men have but doesn't leave a bitter aftertaste and finishes with a positive outlook into the future. I really hope this book will find accompany whole new generations of girls in science, and that it will be soon translated into as many languages as possible. ...more
Amanda  Dana
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I almost cried when I started to look through Women in Science. I wish someone had told me that it was okay to think that math was hard, but that I would get through it. That science was difficult at times, but since I loved it, I would be able to make it. It's hard not to get upset when so few women have pushed their way through a man's field. In this day and age, when girls have more access to tools that will help them get the help they need to go into a STEM profession, these women did it all ...more
Alankrita
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Happy International Women's Day!
This book features 50 women who have made invaluable contributions to science - ranging from the ancient Hypatia of Alexandria, to Maryam Mirzakhani, a winner of the 2014 Fields Medal. I got to learn about the trailblazing work of a lot of women in STEM I didn't know of previously, thanks to the well written short biographies complemented by the excellent illustrations. Truly an inspiring read. In our society where gender stereotypes are still very prevalent, I w
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
I bought this book yesterday and it's so beautiful! There is even a card box: 100 postcards of the illustrations of this book!

I read most of the part yesterday and was happily surprised to know some of the women and getting introduced to many.

I just was so sad that there are no Arab women in the list, and I know I met many friends and teachers who loved science; it's sad none of them made her mark yet or if she did she was unknown.

Kris
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-star-books
I learned a ton from this book. So many female scientists that I knew absolutely nothing about. I really liked the set-up, with the artistic renderings of the scientist, a quote from or about them at the bottom of their portrait, and little interesting facts sprinkled around the text. So much great information in this.
Alice Lippart
A strikingly illustrated and wonderful little book.
Camille ☼
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another book my children will read.
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)

description

An inspiring reading about women who have been an eminence in the science field, honestly having decided to read this short but significant book has been one of the best decisions, right now I think it will be INCREDIBLE to own the author's complete collection, and perhaps, in the future, I can read it to my children.

5/5 Stars

I think that, besides, the way in which the book is written and created is unique, super interactive and entertaining, the illustrations are BEAUTIFUL, I'm absolutely in
Gio Listmaker
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short Tidbits Of BadAss Women Of Science

Purchased For My Nieces

Almost Kept It For Myself =))
Amy
This is such a fantastic book! Unique, interesting and perfectly put together! The book itself is literally a work of art. The illustrations are fantastic! This book features 50 amazing women from the world of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. It covers everything from ancient items to the present! I learned so much about trailblazing women - many of whom I had never heard of! I learned so much with this book! Each scientist gets a spread in the book - one full of detailed writi ...more
Pallavi Kamat
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely brilliant book which details the stories of 50 women who excelled in different STEM fields across astrophysics, psychiatry, genetics, mathematics, etc. Some of the women were known to me like Jane Goodall, Vera Rubin, and of course Marie Curie. But a lot of the women were unknown, their stories made fascinating reading.

It's depressing to read how so many universities didn't admit women to their Masters programs or employ women in full-time positions. Also, most of the women scienti
Sookie
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I wanted this book to go on forever. Fifty women who contributed great deal to the world and still don't get the recognition they deserve.

A fantastic gift to a young girl or a boy who can find inspiration even in the direst of the circumstances.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 4.5 STARS
(Review Not on Blog)

A great book for for anyone interested in the pioneers of science and the faces that don't always get taught in school. I loved the illustrations in this book.
Batool
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feminism
BEAUTIFUL. Really beautiful book, the illustrations and the way it’s written.
Alexandra
cute little picture book showcasing women in the STEM fields (science, technology, engineering & math). the illustrations were plentiful and added a really nice touch to the descriptions.

at times it sort of felt like the author was adding her own opinions instead of stating pure facts, saying things like so and so "should have won the nobel prize" or so and so was the smartest in her class of all boys. it's like we get it you're a feminist but tone it down a notch.

it was nice learning a bit abou

• Women Who Dared: 52 Stories of Fearless Daredevils, Adventurers, and Rebels
  • Niños raros
  • Is This Normal (Revised): More Girls' Questions, Answered by the Editors of the Care & Keeping of You
  • Rad Women Worldwide: Artists and Athletes, Pirates and Punks, and Other Revolutionaries Who Shaped History
  • Girls Think of Everything: Stories of Ingenious Inventions by Women
  • Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls: 100 Tales of Extraordinary Women
  • Bad Girls Throughout History: 100 Remarkable Women Who Changed the World (Women in History Book, Book of Women Who Changed the World)
  • Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History
  • The Invincible Summer of Juniper Jones
  • Fantastically Great Women Who Changed the World
  • The Mysteries of the Universe: Discover the Best-Kept Secrets of Space
  • Five Things About Ava Andrews
  • All About Feelings
  • Atlas of Animal Adventures: A collection of nature's most unmissable events, epic migrations and extraordinary behaviours
  • Death by Halloween (Adventures You Choose Book 1)
  • Rad American Women A-Z: Rebels, Trailblazers, and Visionaries who Shaped Our History . . . and Our Future!
  • A Galaxy of Her Own: Amazing Stories of Women in Space
  • The Care and Keeping of You 2: The Body Book for Older Girls
Rachel Ignotofsky grew up in New Jersey on a healthy diet of cartoons and pudding. She graduated with honors from Tyler School of Art’s graphic design program in 2011. Now she lives in beautiful Kansas City, Missouri, where she spends all day drawing and learning as much as she can. She has a passion for taking dense information and making it fun and accessible and is dedicated to creating educati ...more

Articles featuring this book

“The main stumbling block in the way of any progress is and always has been unimpeachable tradition. (Chien-Shiung Wu)” 2 likes