Start by marking “Only Ashes Remain (Market of Monsters, #2)” as Want to Read:
Only Ashes Remain (Market of Monsters, #2)

Only Ashes Remain

(Market of Monsters #2)

After escaping her kidnappers and destroying the black market where she was held captive, all Nita wants is to find a way to live her life without looking over her shoulder. But with a video of her ability to self-heal all over the dark web, Nita knows she’s still a prime target on the black market.

There’s only one way to keep herself safe.

Nita must make herself so feared
Hardcover
Published September 3rd 2019 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Only Ashes Remain, please sign up.
Rebecca Schaeffer Kovit is in this book a lot! He's in the whole trilogy, but of the books, this one is very much *his* book of the three
Rebecca Schaeffer Fall 2019. A specific date will probably be announced in early 2019 :)

Start your review of Only Ashes Remain (Market of Monsters, #2)
Lola
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you thought the first book was a cold knife to the spine, you don’t know what’s waiting for you here, because this sequel is twice as intense and deceptive as its predecessor. After the cruel cliff-hanger at the end of book one, I was DYING to get my hands on this one. Even now, I can’t keep my hands to myself. I love this messy story and its disturbing characters so damn much.

Nita is not prisoner of the black market anymore. She’s at the organization that protects unnaturals, in the company
Nenia ⚜️ Author of Filthy Trash and Unhinged Psychos ⚜️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

NOT EVEN BONES was one of the more disturbing YA books I've ever read, but I really enjoyed the tight storyline and strong female heroine. Even though there were parts that made me straight-up cringe, I couldn't help but applaud it for being daring and taking risks in a genre that's basically stagnated, with everyone trying to outrace each other to write the next over-hyped Sarah J. Maas clone. If you like SJM, that's on you, but I can't
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Nita really found out the world would try to kill her for money and decided the best solution was to become so scary no one would try… icon

This series is so interesting and new and revels so hard in being over the top and... occasionally kind of brutal? But it is so engaging. Schaeffer quickly gets you to root for people who are, on an objective level, awful; neither Nita nor any other character are particularly good, but almost all of the characters are strangely likable.

Something I absolutely
Rebecca Schaeffer
Mar 24, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Here it is, the sequel to a book I never thought would sell. It's surreal to see this book on goodreads, with a cover and release date.

I hope you enjoy my terrible children who are not all bad and not all good, and justify their terribleness to themselves with paper thin excuses and pleasant delusions as they embark on the second instalment of their adventure
Erika Sarutobi
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.75 stars.

This was so gooood!

This was much darker than the first book, especially so since Nita's actions are what made the book darker more than the situations she was thrust in. There was more of Kovit too! I love this cute monster, though as with Nita, his actions do freak me out at times too. I'm really glad with both of their growths and with the improvement of Nita's relationship with her mom.

The book focuses a lot on their personal growth, dealing with their inner demons and the
Anti
-Not Even Bones: (million stars)
-Only Ashes Remain: (million stars)
-Untitled: ???

All the bloody limbs… I mean, stars in the universe

If the first book was dark, bloody and gruesome, this one was worse.

description

Books like this are the ones that make me doubt where is the line between YA and ADULT. There’s really a line?

The age of the characters? Not really, lots of teen characters in adults book and vice-versa.

Sex? I’ve seen teen books with more on-page sex than adult ones.

Blood? Depends of the
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

Okay, so if you’ve been following my reviews for any length of time, you know that I basically NEVER give out 5-star ratings. Like, genuinely almost never. Especially to YA books.

But this book and its predecessor, Not Even Bones, are the exception. They are absolutely brilliant.

QUICK PLOT SUMMARY

The series stars Nita, a 17-year-old ‘unnatural’ with the power to manipulate her own body. Having been captured in the previous book to be
♠️ TABI ♠️
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, favorites
'Sometimes she could see the monster inside him. And sometimes he made her see the monster inside herself.'

description

I haven't been this emotionally gutted by a book in forever and I love this wonderful devastation. This was everything amazing from the stunning first book . . . only a thousand times better!! My love for this dark story about a messy, beautiful world is DRASTIC, okay?? I am catastrophically in love, to quote one of my first YA crushes. Also, it is most unfair that I have to wait until
Jaye Berry
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, 2019, fantasy
Stop making me ship murderers, smh. This series is so weird for me because I like it I guess?? But then characters are so dumb sometimes that I just want to throw it.

Only Ashes Remain begins right after the last book, with everyone at the black market that held Nita captive dead. Proof of her abilities leaked on the darknet and now bounty hunters of all sorts are after her, to sell her body for parts. Nita teams up with master torturer Kovit again as she tries to kill enough people to make her
Ishmeen
Dec 12, 2018 marked it as to-read
So pumped for this ...more
Ashley
Solid 4 star read! RTC

CANT FREAKIN WAIT! BOOM!
Stacy Fetters
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The first time she and Kovit had killed someone, Nita had felt like a monster for laughing over the dead body a few minutes later. How times have changed."

This was gruesome in all the best ways. I can’t get enough of this series!!

After escaping her kidnappers, burning down an entire market, and having her abilities being shown for the dark web to see, she seeks the help of INHUP to get her life back on track. They travel to Toronto and she seeks solace in an old friend.

Nita is back and she is
Beatrice in Bookland
"Sometimes she could see the monster inside him.
And sometimes he made her see the monster inside herself."

1. Not even bones

4.5

And the award for most underrated trilogy goes to...
Julia Ember
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not Even Bones was one of my favorite reads last year, and its sequel did not disappoint. Witty and fast-paced, full of truly devious characters. Nita is even more murderous than before, and I was here for it.
Queen Cronut
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, arcs
This book was darker than my soul...

*RTC
Amber (The Book Bratz)
The full review + more can be found at The Book Bratz

Thank you so much HMH Teen and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review ONLY ASHES REMAIN!

I really enjoyed Not Even Bones so I was super excited when HMH Teen approved me on NetGalley for Only Ashes Remain. After the end of Not Even Bones I was eager to see where Nita's story was going next. She destroyed the black market. She's "safe." But she is now in protective custody with Fabricio, the boy who sold her to the black market. Let
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

This series is such fun! Delightfully messed up, wildly entertaining fun. I was super excited to get back into the world ofMarket of Monsters(such a clever series name, by the by) after loving Not Even Bones , and this one definitely didn't disappoint!

What I Loved:

• How does the author make me adore such an antihero? By all accounts, we should positively loathe this character who
Livia
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love morally grey characters. And black market body dissection!! I wonder what that says about me?
OutlawPoet
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I rarely read the acknowledgements section of a book, but I did in this one. In it, the author admits that she struggled a bit with this book. So much, in fact, that she practically scrapped everything and started over. I want to start with a message to her: You did it!

This 2nd book is so good!

You do really need to read book 1 first. This opens up soon after that one and brings us rushing back into Nita's dark and scary world.

In book 2, NIta struggles to embrace her inner monster as she
Stacey Trombley
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ZOMG GUYS! Remember that deliciously violent YA book Not Even Bones? Yeah book 2 is better.

Just. You. Wait.

*dies*
Lex
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love love love it. Fangirling Review to follow.
Austine (NovelKnight)
Check out the original review and more on NovelKnight!
This book was provided by the publisher (via NetGalley). This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Let me start by saying thatNot Even Boneswas one of my top reads of 2018, so I had fairly high expectations forOnly Ashes Remain. Schaeffer doesn't shy away from the dark and gritty aspects of our modern world (though she puts a monstrous twist on it all), and it's something I appreciated in the first book and
Christina
Jul 12, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The second installment of the Market of Monsters trilogy is finally here, and it was so worth the wait. This is another fast-paced, blood-drenched installment that lives up to the promise of the first book in all categories. The characters continue their development in new and interesting directions, the action remains consistent and fairly constant, and the larger themes of monstrousness deepen in unexpected ways.

I loved Nita and her cold, analytical mind before, and another book spending time
The Nerd Daily
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Laura Erne

Only Ashes Remain by Rebecca Schaeffer was such a great sequel to her debut novel, Not Even Bones. It continued to be gory and gritty, you know the typical aspects to any story involving black markets and body parts. It had a great story, new supporting characters that showcased even more of the unnatural population, and a small dash of romance that was both unrushed and unconventionally sweet. This series is so different from all
Dylan
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
3 stars.

I'm definitely in the minority (at least, thus far), when I say that I didn't like this one as much as the first. The "romance" seemed pretty cringy and forced to me and nothing really happened throughout the entire book, to the point that a series didn't feel warranted.

I may read the third if this is going to only have three books, but I don't feel like getting invested in a longer series. blah.
Ri
Dec 10, 2018 is currently reading it
Shelves: 2019-books
I'M SO HYPEEEEEEEE
Amanda
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
You can also read my review here:https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....
Quickly after starting Only Ashes Remain I remembered how much I loved Not Even Bones and all the characters. This series has some of the best morally grey characters that I have ever read. I was so psyched to not only get a copy of the sequel, but to get a physical copy. Only Ashes Remain was one of my most anticipated releases of the second half of the year and I had forgotten just how much I liked the first installment.
Katie Steele
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Check out the original review and more on NovelKnight!

When I readNot Even Boneslast year, I was impressed by how unique it was. I loved the vibe, the many different monsters, the black market setting, the morally gray characters. Going into the sequel,Only Ashes Remain,I was expecting to love more of the same. And while yes, I did love it for a couple of the same
Jackie
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads, horror
I’ve never read anything quite like this series before and I doubt I ever will.

“Only Ashes Remain” finds Nita and Kovit coming back together to clean up the mess from book 1 as they both find themselves being hunted by old friends and new enemies as their price on the black market soars and with danger around every corner they must figure out what it means to truly be a monster.

This series is so dark and twisted and I can’t read it fast enough. I’ve never went in to a series where both leads
Anna 'Bookbuyer'
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Beyond the Black Door
  • The Bone Houses
  • The Lady Rogue
  • Realm of Knights (Knights of the Realm, #1)
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • Tiger Queen
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • A Treason of Thorns
  • I Hope You Get This Message
  • Rules for Vanishing
  • Song of the Abyss (Tower of Winds, #2)
  • The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
  • Missing, Presumed Dead
  • Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)
  • The Tenth Girl
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
Rebecca Schaeffer was born and raised in the Canadian prairies. Her itchy feet took her far from home when she turned eighteen, and she hasn't returned for more than a few months here or there since. You can find her sitting in a cafe on the other side of the world, writing about villains, antiheroes and morally ambiguous characters.

*******

I read a lot of books and have a lot of opinions, so the

Market of Monsters (3 books)
  • Not Even Bones (Market of Monsters, #1)
  • When Villains Rise (Market of Monsters, #3)
“I think, more than anything, people like to feel superior to others. Canadians like to feel that they’re better than Americans. Americans love to feel they’re better than the whole world. And when people feel superior, it makes it harder for them to see the problems just beneath the surface. They don’t want to believe them, to face them, because if they did, can they really claim to be superior anymore?” 2 likes