Start by marking “Only Ashes Remain (Market of Monsters, #2)” as Want to Read:
Only Ashes Remain (Market of Monsters, #2)

Only Ashes Remain

(Market of Monsters #2)

After escaping her kidnappers and destroying the black market where she was held captive, all Nita wants is to find a way to live her life without looking over her shoulder. But with a video of her ability to self-heal all over the dark web, Nita knows she’s still a prime target on the black market.

There’s only one way to keep herself safe.

Nita must make herself so feared
Published September 3rd 2019 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Only Ashes Remain, please sign up.
Rebecca Schaeffer Kovit is in this book a lot! He's in the whole trilogy, but of the books, this one is very much *his* book of the three…moreKovit is in this book a lot! He's in the whole trilogy, but of the books, this one is very much *his* book of the three(less)
Rebecca Schaeffer If your library doesn't have it, usually you can request it! Often they have an online form you can request it through, or you can talk to your local …moreIf your library doesn't have it, usually you can request it! Often they have an online form you can request it through, or you can talk to your local librarians.(less)

Start your review of Only Ashes Remain (Market of Monsters, #2)
Rebecca Schaeffer
Mar 24, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Here it is, the sequel to a book I never thought would sell. It's surreal to see this book on goodreads, with a cover and release date.

I hope you enjoy my terrible children who are not all bad and not all good, and justify their terribleness to themselves with paper thin excuses and pleasant delusions as they embark on the second instalment of their adventure
Elle (ellexamines)
Nita really found out the world would try to kill her for money and decided the best solution was to become so scary no one would try… icon

This series is so interesting and new and revels so hard in being over the top and... occasionally kind of brutal? But it is so engaging. Schaeffer quickly gets you to root for people who are, on an objective level, awful; neither Nita nor any other character are particularly good, but almost all of the characters are strangely likable.

Something I absolutely
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

NOT EVEN BONES was one of the more disturbing YA books I've ever read, but I really enjoyed the tight storyline and strong female heroine. Even though there were parts that made me straight-up cringe, I couldn't help but applaud it for being daring and taking risks in a genre that's basically stagnated, with everyone trying to outrace each other to write the next over-hyped Sarah J. Maas clone. If you like SJM, that's on you, but I can'
Ishmeen
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: quarantine-tbr
This was wayyyy more interesting than the first one! Also somebody protect my bby Kovit please ❤️
Xia ✻.
#1 Not Even Bones 5 million stars
#2 Only Ashes Remain 5 million stars
#3 When Villains Rise ???

All the bloody limbs… I mean, stars in the universe

If the first book was dark, bloody and gruesome, this one was worse.

description

Books like this are the ones that make me doubt where is the line between YA and ADULT. There’s really a line?

The age of the characters? Not really, lots of teen characters in adults book and vice-versa.

Sex? I’ve seen teen books with more on-page sex than adult ones.

Blood?
Erika Sarutobi
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.75 stars.

This was so gooood! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

This was much darker than the first book, especially so since Nita's actions are what made the book darker more than the situations she was thrust in. There was more of Kovit too! I love this cute monster, though as with Nita, his actions do freak me out at times too. I'm really glad with both of their growths and with the improvement of Nita's relationship with her mom.

The book focuses a lot on their personal growth, dealing with their inner demons and the
Cori
I have divided feelings on this book.

Pros: Schaeffer is a good writer in many aspects. I ripped through the pages of this book, and haven't caught myself staying up so late to read in a while. The plot is original, and this is one of the better urban fantasy series I've ever read. The characters have distinct voices, and they're morally grey, leaning to black which makes for a great change.

Cons: Does this woman preach politically though. The first book had its issues; this one was ten times wo
Jaye Berry
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Stop making me ship murderers, smh. This series is so weird for me because I like it I guess?? But then characters are so dumb sometimes that I just want to throw it.

Only Ashes Remain begins right after the last book, with everyone at the black market that held Nita captive dead. Proof of her abilities leaked on the darknet and now bounty hunters of all sorts are after her, to sell her body for parts. Nita teams up with master torturer Kovit again as she tries to kill enough people to make her r
Jessica
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2019
This book balances an interesting and unique concept with real-world commentary in such a clever and unique way. These characters are so fucked up but they're also incredibly complex and human. This book outdid the first and I'm so excited for more in this series and from this author. ...more
♠ TABI⁷ ♠
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, netgalley
'Sometimes she could see the monster inside him. And sometimes he made her see the monster inside herself.'

description

I haven't been this emotionally gutted by a book in forever and I love this wonderful devastation. This was everything amazing from the stunning first book . . . only a thousand times better!! My love for this dark story about a messy, beautiful world is DRASTIC, okay?? I am catastrophically in love, to quote one of my first YA crushes. Also, it is most unfair that I have to wait until
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

Okay, so if you’ve been following my reviews for any length of time, you know that I basically NEVER give out 5-star ratings. Like, genuinely almost never. Especially to YA books.

But this book and its predecessor, Not Even Bones, are the exception. They are absolutely brilliant.

QUICK PLOT SUMMARY

The series stars Nita, a 17-year-old ‘unnatural’ with the power to manipulate her own body. Having been captured in the previous book to b
Dylan
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
3 stars.

I'm definitely in the minority (at least, thus far), when I say that I didn't like this one as much as the first. The "romance" seemed pretty cringy and forced to me and nothing really happened throughout the entire book, to the point that a series didn't feel warranted.

I may read the third if this is going to only have three books, but I don't feel like getting invested in a longer series. blah.
Tara ☽
I love Kovit a lot but all I can think about is the fact that his name sounds like Covid
Cortney LaScola Hornyak -  The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
Great follow up! I love this series. Fantastic characters, unique and well-written story. It was pretty repetitive at times, but overall, I really enjoyed it.

4.5 stars rounded up
Maggie ☘
Only Ashes Remain was a good addition to a unique YA urban fantasy series. My favourite was definitely Not Even Bones by miles, but this was a wothy sequel and brought a lot of new to the table.

If you thought book one was dark, this one got, in my opinion, even darker. While not necessarily in terms of plot, I think it did in terms of the man character. Nita, the MC, sometimes (or often) seemed well set on the 'villain' side of the morally grey. The series is really making me question where her
Chelsey Nixon
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
There is the one Nita, who has accepted who she has become and what she is going to have to do to survive. She is the Nita that dissects people. Who watched her mother murder people for years without this inner turmoil. Who blows up buildings and makes snap decisions. She’s an idiot, but a cohesive one.

And there is the other Nita, who still describes Kovit as a monster even though she is the exact same. Who is constantly blanching at his need to eat when she is just murdering people for funsies.
Alaina
Soooooooo freaking good. I am beyond excited for the next book to come out. Thankfully, I don't have to wait long.

Only Ashes Remain was so easy to dive into and devour. I loved all the darkness within this book and all the twists and turns throughout it as well. Nita was just adorable and dark. I loved it. Then there's Kovit and all his monster-ness. These two grew so much throughout the book. Even if they did freak me out sometimes. I still loved them.

Then there's the black market and they are
Virginja ↢ 99% imp
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
“I’m here, Kovit. I’ve already seen your monster.” She met his eyes. “And I’m not leaving.”

1. Not even bones: 3.5🌟
2. Only ashes remain: 3.75🌟
3. When villains rise: ???

I found OAR more mature than it’s predecessor and, if possible, even more unusual compared to the average YA urban fantasy. OAR opens right after the events of the first installment: Nita and Kovit managed to flee Mercado de la Muerte, but the price they had to pay was dire. Now tainted by the stains of murder and betra
alex (hiatus)
Feb 14, 2021 rated it it was ok
so i started this book and got to 50% but then Nita got super like blood thirsty? she just like wanted to kill everyone who was in her way and i really didn’t like where it was going so i decided to stop.
Stay Fetters
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The first time she and Kovit had killed someone, Nita had felt like a monster for laughing over the dead body a few minutes later. How times have changed."

This was gruesome in all the best ways. I can’t get enough of this series!!

After escaping her kidnappers, burning down an entire market, and having her abilities being shown for the dark web to see, she seeks the help of INHUP to get her life back on track. They travel to Toronto and she seeks solace in an old friend.

Nita is back and she is
Ashley
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid 4 star read! RTC

CANT FREAKIN WAIT! BOOM!
Beatrice in Bookland
"Sometimes she could see the monster inside him.
And sometimes he made her see the monster inside herself."

1. Not even bones ★★★★★
v *✲゚*。★
Oct 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
i want to change the last book to a 4.5 and this to a 4. now there wasn’t a drastic decrease in quality there were just some minor issues with pacing and it lacked the flair and uniqueness

HOWEVER character arcs were so lovely i cld drown in them (in adair’s basement perhaps) ! writing was still fresh and easy to read. 4-5 hour read (finishing this book at 3 am fml)

nita on my knees for her, love adair, kovit is ofc a favourite <3

idk i just love the blurred lines of morality and not knowing who
Julia Ember
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not Even Bones was one of my favorite reads last year, and its sequel did not disappoint. Witty and fast-paced, full of truly devious characters. Nita is even more murderous than before, and I was here for it.
Queen Cronut
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, 2019
This book was darker than my soul...

*RTC
Stacie
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kovit carried this book.
Amber (The Book Bratz)
The full review + more can be found at The Book Bratz

Thank you so much HMH Teen and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review ONLY ASHES REMAIN!

I really enjoyed Not Even Bones so I was super excited when HMH Teen approved me on NetGalley for Only Ashes Remain. After the end of Not Even Bones I was eager to see where Nita's story was going next. She destroyed the black market. She's "safe." But she is now in protective custody with Fabricio, the boy who sold her to the black market. Let
Sara Jovanovic
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love-it
Completely different than the first book, darker in its own twisted way, and I can't even explain how much I adored this book and how much it means to me. I still can't believe it's actually over.

This book mainly focused on Nita building her reputation in order to survive. After the video showing her unnatural abilities was posted online, the whole black market is after her, so she wanted to be someone people are scared of. With Kovit by her side, they end up involved in numerous murders and yet
Stacey Trombley
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ZOMG GUYS! Remember that deliciously violent YA book Not Even Bones? Yeah book 2 is better.

Just. You. Wait.

*dies*
Lex
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love love love it. Fangirling Review to follow.
Play Book Tag: Only Ashes Remain by Rebecca Schaeffer - 3.5 stars 1 8 Aug 26, 2021 10:15AM

• War of the Bastards (Royal Bastards, #3)
  • Echo North (Echo North, #1)
  • How We Became Wicked
  • Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3)
  • Mind Games
  • Stranger Rituals (Stranger Rituals, #1)
  • A Thousand Fires
  • Swipe Right for Murder
  • Eight Will Fall
  • Six Goodbyes We Never Said
  • Toxic
  • The Evil Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #1)
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
  • Bright Star
  • War Girls (War Girls, #1)
  • The Waking Forest
  • The How and the Why
  • Riot Baby
See top shelves…
Rebecca Schaeffer is the critically acclaimed author of Not Even Bones, Only Ashes Remain, and When Villains Rise. The Webtoon adaptation of the trilogy has garnered over a hundred million reads and nearly 2 million subscribers. Her next book, City of Nightmares, comes out in January 2023.

*******

I read a lot of books and have a lot of opinions, so the only books I put up and rate on Goodreads are

Market of Monsters (3 books)
  • Not Even Bones (Market of Monsters, #1)
  • When Villains Rise (Market of Monsters, #3)