Start by marking “Only Ashes Remain (Market of Monsters, #2)” as Want to Read:
Only Ashes Remain (Market of Monsters, #2)

Only Ashes Remain

(Market of Monsters #2)

After escaping her kidnappers and destroying the black market where she was held captive, all Nita wants is to find a way to live her life without looking over her shoulder. But with a video of her ability to self-heal all over the dark web, Nita knows she’s still a prime target on the black market.

There’s only one way to keep herself safe.

Nita must make herself so feared
Published September 3rd 2019 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Only Ashes Remain, please sign up.
Rebecca Schaeffer Kovit is in this book a lot! He's in the whole trilogy, but of the books, this one is very much *his* book of the three
Rebecca Schaeffer If your library doesn't have it, usually you can request it! Often they have an online form you can request it through, or you can talk to your local …moreIf your library doesn't have it, usually you can request it! Often they have an online form you can request it through, or you can talk to your local librarians.(less)

Start your review of Only Ashes Remain (Market of Monsters, #2)
Cristina Monica
If you thought the first book was a cold knife to the spine, you don’t know what’s waiting for you here, because this sequel is twice as intense and deceptive as its predecessor. After the cruel cliff-hanger at the end of book one, I was DYING to get my hands on this one. Even now, I can’t keep my hands to myself. I love this messy story and its disturbing characters so damn much.

Nita is not prisoner of the black market anymore. She’s at the organization that protects unnaturals, in the company
Rebecca Schaeffer
Mar 24, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Here it is, the sequel to a book I never thought would sell. It's surreal to see this book on goodreads, with a cover and release date.

I hope you enjoy my terrible children who are not all bad and not all good, and justify their terribleness to themselves with paper thin excuses and pleasant delusions as they embark on the second instalment of their adventure
Elle (ellexamines)
Nita really found out the world would try to kill her for money and decided the best solution was to become so scary no one would try… icon

This series is so interesting and new and revels so hard in being over the top and... occasionally kind of brutal? But it is so engaging. Schaeffer quickly gets you to root for people who are, on an objective level, awful; neither Nita nor any other character are particularly good, but almost all of the characters are strangely likable.

Something I absolutely
Nenia ✨️ The Trash Empress ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

NOT EVEN BONES was one of the more disturbing YA books I've ever read, but I really enjoyed the tight storyline and strong female heroine. Even though there were parts that made me straight-up cringe, I couldn't help but applaud it for being daring and taking risks in a genre that's basically stagnated, with everyone trying to outrace each other to write the next over-hyped Sarah J. Maas clone. If you like SJM, that's on you, but I can'
Xia ✻.
#1 Not Even Bones 5 million stars
#2 Only Ashes Remain 5 million stars
#3 When Villains Rise ???

All the bloody limbs… I mean, stars in the universe

If the first book was dark, bloody and gruesome, this one was worse.

description

Books like this are the ones that make me doubt where is the line between YA and ADULT. There’s really a line?

The age of the characters? Not really, lots of teen characters in adults book and vice-versa.

Sex? I’ve seen teen books with more on-page sex than adult ones.

Blood?
Erika Sarutobi
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.75 stars.

This was so gooood! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

This was much darker than the first book, especially so since Nita's actions are what made the book darker more than the situations she was thrust in. There was more of Kovit too! I love this cute monster, though as with Nita, his actions do freak me out at times too. I'm really glad with both of their growths and with the improvement of Nita's relationship with her mom.

The book focuses a lot on their personal growth, dealing with their inner demons and the
Ishmeen
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: quarantine-tbr
This was wayyyy more interesting than the first one! Also somebody protect my bby Kovit please ❤️
Jessica
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2019
This book balances an interesting and unique concept with real-world commentary in such a clever and unique way. These characters are so fucked up but they're also incredibly complex and human. This book outdid the first and I'm so excited for more in this series and from this author.
Jaye Berry
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Stop making me ship murderers, smh. This series is so weird for me because I like it I guess?? But then characters are so dumb sometimes that I just want to throw it.

Only Ashes Remain begins right after the last book, with everyone at the black market that held Nita captive dead. Proof of her abilities leaked on the darknet and now bounty hunters of all sorts are after her, to sell her body for parts. Nita teams up with master torturer Kovit again as she tries to kill enough people to make her r
Tabi⁷ (ᕗツ)ᕗ
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, favorites
'Sometimes she could see the monster inside him. And sometimes he made her see the monster inside herself.'

description

I haven't been this emotionally gutted by a book in forever and I love this wonderful devastation. This was everything amazing from the stunning first book . . . only a thousand times better!! My love for this dark story about a messy, beautiful world is DRASTIC, okay?? I am catastrophically in love, to quote one of my first YA crushes. Also, it is most unfair that I have to wait until
Maggie ☘
Only Ashes Remain was a good addition to a unique YA urban fantasy series. My favourite was definitely Not Even Bones by miles, but this was a wothy sequel and brought a lot of new to the table.

If you thought book one was dark, this one got, in my opinion, even darker. While not necessarily in terms of plot, I think it did in terms of the man character. Nita, the MC, sometimes (or often) seemed well set on the 'villain' side of the morally grey. The series is really making me question where her
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

Okay, so if you’ve been following my reviews for any length of time, you know that I basically NEVER give out 5-star ratings. Like, genuinely almost never. Especially to YA books.

But this book and its predecessor, Not Even Bones, are the exception. They are absolutely brilliant.

QUICK PLOT SUMMARY

The series stars Nita, a 17-year-old ‘unnatural’ with the power to manipulate her own body. Having been captured in the previous book to b
Alaina
Soooooooo freaking good. I am beyond excited for the next book to come out. Thankfully, I don't have to wait long.

Only Ashes Remain was so easy to dive into and devour. I loved all the darkness within this book and all the twists and turns throughout it as well. Nita was just adorable and dark. I loved it. Then there's Kovit and all his monster-ness. These two grew so much throughout the book. Even if they did freak me out sometimes. I still loved them.

Then there's the black market and they are
Dylan
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
3 stars.

I'm definitely in the minority (at least, thus far), when I say that I didn't like this one as much as the first. The "romance" seemed pretty cringy and forced to me and nothing really happened throughout the entire book, to the point that a series didn't feel warranted.

I may read the third if this is going to only have three books, but I don't feel like getting invested in a longer series. blah.
Ashley
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid 4 star read! RTC

CANT FREAKIN WAIT! BOOM!
Beatrice in Bookland
"Sometimes she could see the monster inside him.
And sometimes he made her see the monster inside herself."

1. Not even bones ★★★★★
Stacy Fetters
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The first time she and Kovit had killed someone, Nita had felt like a monster for laughing over the dead body a few minutes later. How times have changed."

This was gruesome in all the best ways. I can’t get enough of this series!!

After escaping her kidnappers, burning down an entire market, and having her abilities being shown for the dark web to see, she seeks the help of INHUP to get her life back on track. They travel to Toronto and she seeks solace in an old friend.

Nita is back and she is
Julia Ember
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not Even Bones was one of my favorite reads last year, and its sequel did not disappoint. Witty and fast-paced, full of truly devious characters. Nita is even more murderous than before, and I was here for it.
Queen Cronut
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, arcs
This book was darker than my soul...

*RTC
Amber (The Book Bratz)
The full review + more can be found at The Book Bratz

Thank you so much HMH Teen and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review ONLY ASHES REMAIN!

I really enjoyed Not Even Bones so I was super excited when HMH Teen approved me on NetGalley for Only Ashes Remain. After the end of Not Even Bones I was eager to see where Nita's story was going next. She destroyed the black market. She's "safe." But she is now in protective custody with Fabricio, the boy who sold her to the black market. Let
Chelsey Nixon
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
There is the one Nita, who has accepted who she has become and what she is going to have to do to survive. She is the Nita that dissects people. Who watched her mother murder people for years without this inner turmoil. Who blows up buildings and makes snap decisions. She’s an idiot, but a cohesive one.

And there is the other Nita, who still describes Kovit as a monster even though she is the exact same. Who is constantly blanching at his need to eat when she is just murdering people for funsies.
Sara Jovanovic
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love-it
Completely different than the first book, darker in its own twisted way, and I can't even explain how much I adored this book and how much it means to me. I still can't believe it's actually over.

This book mainly focused on Nita building her reputation in order to survive. After the video showing her unnatural abilities was posted online, the whole black market is after her, so she wanted to be someone people are scared of. With Kovit by her side, they end up involved in numerous murders and yet
Livia
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love morally grey characters. And black market body dissection!! I wonder what that says about me?
Sabrina
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, read-2020
I don't have any words except Wow and holy shit but I think these are the only words you'd really need to write a review for this book.

Wow.
Holy Shit.

OutlawPoet
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I rarely read the acknowledgements section of a book, but I did in this one. In it, the author admits that she struggled a bit with this book. So much, in fact, that she practically scrapped everything and started over. I want to start with a message to her: You did it!

This 2nd book is so good!

You do really need to read book 1 first. This opens up soon after that one and brings us rushing back into Nita's dark and scary world.

In book 2, NIta struggles to embrace her inner monster as she encounte
Stacie
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kovit carried this book.
Stacey Trombley
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ZOMG GUYS! Remember that deliciously violent YA book Not Even Bones? Yeah book 2 is better.

Just. You. Wait.

⤏ REALISTIC, SOMEWHAT HORROR-IF-IC MIXED WITH THE SUPERNATURAL
⤏ MORALLY GRAY CHARACTERS
⤏ TINY SPLASH OF OKAYISHLY AWKWARD ROMANCE
⤏ DARK VIOLENT THEMES WITH SOME BRUTAL DEATHS
⤏ LET'S NOT FORGET MOMMY DEAREST...SERIOUSLY, WTF IS UP WITH HER MOTHER?
⤏ LENGTH OF AUDIO - 12 HOURS, 16 MINUTES
⤏ I LISTENED ON AUDIBLE

MY THOUGHTS⇣

The setting has completely changed for this second book...the first book took place in South America, and most of the story played ou
The Nerd Daily
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Laura Erne

Only Ashes Remain by Rebecca Schaeffer was such a great sequel to her debut novel, Not Even Bones. It continued to be gory and gritty, you know the typical aspects to any story involving black markets and body parts. It had a great story, new supporting characters that showcased even more of the unnatural population, and a small dash of romance that was both unrushed and unconventionally sweet. This series is so different from all othe
Lex
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love love love it. Fangirling Review to follow.

• Purple Hyacinth
  • War of the Bastards (Royal Bastards, #3)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Echo North (Echo North, #1)
  • How We Became Wicked
  • Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3)
  • Mind Games
  • The Electric Heir (Feverwake #2)
  • Stranger Rituals (Stranger Rituals, #1)
  • Brass & Sass
  • A Thousand Fires
  • Swipe Right for Murder
  • SubZero
  • Eight Will Fall
  • Six Goodbyes We Never Said
  • Toxic
  • The Evil Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #1)
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
Rebecca Schaeffer was born and raised in the Canadian prairies. Her itchy feet took her far from home when she turned eighteen, and she hasn't returned for more than a few months here or there since. You can find her sitting in a cafe on the other side of the world, writing about villains, antiheroes and morally ambiguous characters.

*******

I read a lot of books and have a lot of opinions, so the

Market of Monsters (3 books)
  • Not Even Bones (Market of Monsters, #1)
  • When Villains Rise (Market of Monsters, #3)