Start by marking “Heart Breaker (Sweet Valley High, #8)” as Want to Read:
Heart Breaker (Sweet Valley High, #8)

Heart Breaker

(Sweet Valley High #8)

Catch a wave...

The surf's up in Sweet Valley, and gorgeous Jessica Wakefield is making a big splash with Bill Chase, the hottest surfer in town. But after she tricks him into falling madly in love with her, she ignores him completely.

To complicate matters, shy, quiet DeeDee Gordon is also after Bill. But Jessica has the upper hand. If Bill even looks at DeeDee, Hurricane J
Mass Market Paperback, 134 pages
Published November 1st 1984 by Bantam Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Heart Breaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart Breaker

Tara Calaby
First things first: take a look at that absolute hunk of manhood on the front cover. I'm not sure whether standards were just that different in the early eighties or whether the cover artist was playing a joke on all the readers who had to read about Bill Chase being good looking without bursting into laughter every time they caught sight of his portrait.

The book itself follows one of the most popular SVH patterns: someone suddenly becomes more interesting to the general school populace and Jes
Misti Rainwater-Lites
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My first Sweet Valley High. Sigh. I bought it at Perry's five and dime in Seymour, Texas. I was twelve. I wasn't even bleeding yet. Until I stumbled across the scandalous world of Sweet Valley, California my knowledge of the dark art of breaking hearts was scant, indeed. I'd enjoyed watching Hope in action on "Days of Our Lives." Lucy blew my mind on "Dallas." But this is the first book I can recall reading that made me think,"So that's how it's done. This is what it means to be a hot ass bitch. ...more
Bree
Don't judge. I found these in a used bookstore in LA and decided to revisit my youth.
Mari
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childhood-trauma

Original SnarkSquad recap here.

Jessica Wakefield was once turned down by sufer dude Bill Chase. So, naturally, she spends the book seducing and manipulating him, because these books are about nothing if they aren't about teaching young, impressionable youths amazing life lessons.

We're introduced to the B-plot pretty early on as well and it comes in the form of Todd’s never-mentioned-before-long-lost-super-model-looking-ex-girlfriend-who-moved-back-to-town, Patsy Weber.

DeeDee is in love with Bi
Jaylene
Jan 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I can still remember when I first saw this book in my grade school library (3rd or 4th grade?). I was entranced by the cover. I wanted to do that to a boy's necklace. So seductive. Thus I entered the sun-dappled world of Sweet Valley High.
Connie
Feb 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Source: I own this book.
Cost: 50p in a charity shop

Title: Heart Breaker
Series: Sweet Valley High #8
Author: Kate William and Francine Pascal
Overall Rating: 2.9 stars

Okay, so Bill Chase turned down Jessica once and now she's on mission, Make Bill Fall Madly In Love With You Then Act Like The Worst Person In The World. I hated Jess in this book, she really lost her humanity that she gained in the previous one, she also spent most of the book being a cockblock between DeeDee and Bill.

Side
anolinde
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I refuse to accept that the people on the cover are in high school. I refuse.

Jessica continues to be a sociopath. Like honestly this would have made an amazing thriller series if Francine Pascal had actually addressed this about her character. Because she is AWFUL. And she gets away with everything! Even her "comeuppance" at the end is never enough to make up for how terrible she is.

Also, Liz, seriously, we did the whole "I saw Todd with another girl so therefore he MUST be cheating on me" thing
Jodie
Oct 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-early-years
I love me some Wakefields... I loved everything Sweet Valley and I never wanted this series to end.
Nicole Dunton
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jessica has set her mind to making Bill pay for doing the unthinkable. Many years ago, she asked him to the Sadie's Hawkings Dance. And he rejected her! She has him wrapped around her finger and madly in love with her. But can she keep up her game or will it get blown up in her face?

I really loved this book! I love this whole series. This series has to be one of my favorite series of all times. Each has its own lesson. And well just seeing the chaos Jessica is always trying to cook up is very en
Susan Bazzett-Griffith
Oh, Jessica Wakefield, you little minxbitch. Jessica spends this book using her feminine wiles to string along wounded longer surfer Bill, who looks like Owen Wilson, even though she's not particularly interested in him beyond extracting some revenge for when he turned hwr down for a date in random timeline passed. In the meantime, Todd's ex girlfriend rwtuena to Sweet Valley High, turning Elizabeth into an insecure mess. And minor character without any actual character traits of her own DeeDee ...more
Kodie
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Jessica once again doesn't care about Liz. Liz once again refuses to speak up for herself.
Brooke
Nov 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
Everything about this book’s all wrong. I hated it from the boring subplot to Jessica’s immaturity. Why can’t Jessica grow up and accept that not every guy wants her?
Sara
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to read these back in junior high school. Someone gave it to me as a joke, so I decided to reread it. It was a little superficial, but it took me back to those days.
Angela
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Kristin
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Jessica is just terrible. I swear, I can’t figure out how Jessica hadn’t murdered someone yet. Better question, why someone hasn’t murdered Jessica? For the love of all things good and holy, I sure hope this girl never has children. She can’t be trusted with them. No way! She’s a sociopath.

In this book, she’s decided the best way to get revenge on Bill for turning her down is to make him fall hopelessly in love with her. By hopeless, I mean that he’s a total doormat. No one deserves to be treate
Emily
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book Heart Breaker is by Francine Pascal. In this book two twin sisters have a rough time with their love life in this book. One twin, Jessica is playing one boy while being with another at the same time. Elizabeth, the other twin, is having issues with her boyfriend when his ex-girlfriend comes back into town and he seems to be spending all his time with her.
I enjoyed this book. It went back to Jessica being a despicable person and Elizabeth not taking a sat and for themselves. I wish the
Jen
I honestly really didn't like this story much. Bill Chase was just such a boring character. Jess is a huge bitch as always in these earlier books, which drives me crazy. And Liz is losing her mind when Todd's old girlfriend moves back to Sweet Valley looking hotter than ever. She thinks there is something going on between them but instead of just ASKING him, she ignores him for a couple of weeks and we get a book full of annoying Liz angst. Sigh. Definitely not my favorite.
star_fire13
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Again, another book highlighting what a bitch Jessica is! Although, to be fair, I've done similar things as her, just not quite to her extent. But I'm no stranger to stringing guys along and playing a few mind games with them...

The fact that Jessica and Bill were starring in the school play together just came out of nowhere! These books seem to act as if very very very little time has passed between them, so the idea that they were full-blown into production with no mentions of anything in the p
Melanie
I can't read this book without thinking of "Get it On" because the main victim/protagonist is named Bill Chase. Anyway, Bill is besotted by Jessica, who reminds him of his former girlfriend who died in some explosive car crash right after they'd had a big fight. And some mousy girl named DeeDee also has a crush on him but he keeps blowing her off every time Jessica comes around. Except no one will clue Bill in to Jessica's sociopathic history, because they're all gutless enablers.

Also, Todd appa
Emily
This book is one of the better ones of the sweet valley high series because it doesn't focus on the Wakefield twins. This book is about Bill and Deedee. Bill thinks that he is in love with Jessica even though he gets nervous and clumsy around her. Jessica enjoys taking advantage of Bill so that she can have a servant to help her. Deedee cares about Bill but he just thinks of her as a friend. But when Bill is with Deedee he is confident and is able to be himself. Deedee wants him to realize this ...more
Ashley
Nov 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I've realized that you sort of have to consider this series on a much lower level than other books I normally read. You have to get on Francine Pascal's (and her ghostwriters's) level. This particular addition to the Sweet Valley High saga is ridiculous. But man it is awesomely ridiculous. So. Much. Drama!
jenn
Jul 07, 2010 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
How many times can it be said? Jessica = sociopath. But nothing is grosser than Liz and Todd.

The best part about this book is that the school play is Splendor in the Grass. How? It reminded me of Hamlet 2.

Edited to add that it was a play before it was a movie. Still, Jessica is no Natalie Wood.
Jenn
Mar 28, 2012 rated it liked it
I certainly have my favorite characters in the series, and when the storyline goes to a character that I'm not enamored of... I tend to drift off.

Bill is one of these characters. First, he's a doormat. Second, he *should* be awesome, given his talents, so his doormat-ness is even worse.

Surely, ONE of these boys at SVH is man enough to go toe-to-toe with Jessica, right? Right?
Ruthie Jones
Jul 23, 2010 rated it liked it
I read the first twelve in the Sweet Valley High series along with a cousin who was a preteen at the time - so we could talk about them together. Even though I was past my teenage years when I read these books, I had a lot of fun reading them. Very entertaining.
Cate Marsden
Bill is such a doormat in this that I was rooting for Jessica, which made me feel guilty. But watching Elizabeth melt down over her suspicions about the Eternally Faithful Todd is the most amusing part.
...great. Binge reading these is turning ME into a sociopath.
Tracy
Jun 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Jessica is determined to string surfer Bill Chase along to punish him for not being interested in her several years ago. Meanwhile, Elizabeth struggles when Todd's old girlfriend comes back from Paris and seems to want him back.
Valerie
Aug 07, 2015 rated it liked it
The Sweet Valley Books changed my life in the 5th and 6th grade. My friends and I would coordinate so that we could read all of the books. I remember reading them along with the BSC. As we got a little older, we also got to enjoy the TV Show. I enjoyed these books.
Evie Maiolo
Rating based on my memory of how I would have rated this series as a young teen. I have not ween or heard of these books in years - I am not even sure if they are still around, but they were a fun read back then.
Lisa Greer
Mar 05, 2008 rated it did not like it
I think I quit reading them then. Ha. But these are pretty terrible now that I recall...
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Erin

Read the drinking game and review here.
  • Little Miss Stoneybrook... and Dawn (The Baby-Sitters Club, #15)
  • The Substitute (Replica, #13)
Francine Pascal (May 13, 1938— ) is an American author best known for creating the Sweet Valley series of novels. In 1982 she created the characters and the stories for the first six books and her agent, Amy Berkower of Writers House sold them to Bantam Books. Book number one is mostly written by Ms. Pascal. From then on she wrote the stories for every book ever published in the series. After the ...more

Sweet Valley High (1 - 10 of 143 books)
  • Double Love (Sweet Valley High, #1)
  • Secrets (Sweet Valley High, #2)
  • Playing with Fire (Sweet Valley High, #3)
  • Power Play (Sweet Valley High, #4)
  • All Night Long (Sweet Valley High, #5)
  • Dangerous Love (Sweet Valley High, #6)
  • Dear Sister (Sweet Valley High, #7)
  • Racing Hearts (Sweet Valley High, #9)
  • Wrong Kind of Girl (Sweet Valley High, #10)
  • Too Good to be True (Sweet Valley High, #11)