Start by marking “The Sisterhood” as Want to Read:
The Sisterhood

The Sisterhood

Seventeen-year-old Lil stumbles across a dangerous secret while searching for her missing sister in this gripping thriller that’s perfect for fans of The Darkest Corners and The Third Twin.

Seventeen-year-old Lil’s heart was broken when her sister Mella disappeared. There’s been no trace or sighting of her since she vanished, so when Lil sees a girl lying in the road near h
Published February 12th 2019 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published February 22nd 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Sisterhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sisterhood

Start your review of The Sisterhood
Carrie
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Sisterhood by A.J. Grainger is a young adult mystery/thriller that takes a reader into the world of a cult. With a dark and stormy night starting this one off it certainly set the chilling atmosphere right away.

Sixteen year old Lil hasn’t given up on finding her sister, Mella, who disappeared four months ago. Every day she makes new posts hoping that Mella will somehow see and know she is loved and missed but it seems everyone else has given up hope of her return.

When Lil goes out with her b
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

2.5*

This wasn't bad, just kind of predictable.  I am going to keep this short, because it's a mystery book and you don't want me to give away too much, of course! So I suppose a likes versus dislikes is the way to go, yet again!

The Things I Liked:

•Atmosphere on point! It was rainy and creepy and dismal, and that is what I want to happen in a mystery. The author did a good job at
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Big disappointment. THE SISTERHOOD read more like fantasy than contemporary. I didn’t enjoy the writing, the characters weren’t engaging and the plot was nothing special.
Morris
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read
Being a thriller about a cult, I expected great things from "The Sisterhood." Instead, it was only ok. It wasn't bad, just predictable and not all that thrilling.

This unbiased review is based upon a complimentary copy provided by the publisher.
Kelly

In Your Light is dark, twisty and captivating. You won’t be able to take your eyes off the pages as you devour the words trying to find out what happens next. With layered and complex characters, an exciting climax and a good dose of mystery, there’s something in here for everyone. An intense but powerful read that will stay with me for some time.

Read my full thoughts and review on my blog: https://kellysramblings.wordpress.com...
Kirsty
This book was ok, however, I didn't love it. This book followed Lil whose sister has gone missing. She helps Alice who has come from the Sisterhood of the Light which is a cult which Lil's sister has become involved with.

I found the story moved quite slowly and very little happened. I think I may have found the plot more interesting if it focused more on Mella rather than Lil. The story didn't hook me in the way that I was expecting it to. The majority of the action happened within the last 20%
Lost in Book Land
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was recently given the ARC ebook copy of The Sisterhood by A.J. Grainger to read and I finally got the chance to check it out not that long ago so I wanted to go ahead and share some thoughts.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Our main character Lil is 17 and her sister is missing (which is the perfect book for me because I love stories with a good mystery). Lil is heartbroken over her missing sister and wants nothing more in the world than for her sister Mella to return home. However, there are no new leads and n
Ava Anderson
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. I think it was very well told but I will say that I really want to know more about the Sisterhood and Moon. And the last 100 pages were very drawn out and not super interesting.
Prathima Deepak
one time read
Marta Barrales
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: disappointing
This book feels like one big, missed opportunity. It has an interesting premise and for the most part the situation is compelling enough to keep the story moving. However the pacing stutters along and muddles the whole experience.

My main issue though, were the characters. Lil, the main protagonist, feels strangely unexplored, her entire existence in the book is set around her sister Mella’s disappearance. Everything she does and every thought she has is related to her in some way. By the end it’
Teenreadsdotcom
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A.J. Granger presents THE SISTERHOOD: 304 astonishing pages of truths and lies, Dark and Light.

Mouse lost her name when she lost her sister. Nowadays, she is Lil and eight months have passed since Mella Laverty’s disappearance. A new day brings Lil to the kayak club, and she begins once again --- attempting to not let her own mind be empowered against herself. Nevertheless, Mella speaks through her sister’s head, despite her unwillingness. The memories pain her. Taking hold of her bike, she peda
Kim Friant
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars—This was a surprise find and am I glad I found it! Ivan told me to go to Barnes and Noble and get myself a book for Valentine’s Day (he had to work so he wasn’t slacking!). The cover is beautiful and the title is interesting so I picked it up and read the synopsis. Omg, there’s a cult!!! I love cults!!!! So I got it and read it in one sitting! It’s simple and easy to read, yet the story is unique and engaging. I liked Lil a lot; she’s realistic and very teenager-ish without being annoyin ...more
Lauren James
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ukya
Tender and heartbreaking, this will make you miss a sister you don't even have. Lil tries to find her missing sister, with the help of a naive girl who has escaped from a cult. An in-depth look at indoctrination firsthand.
Steph
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a powerful and intense book! A brilliant story told from 2 perspectives - a girl looking for her lost sister, the sister looking to be found elsewhere. Reading the “cult” bits of this book were intense. I just think this is brilliant. (I definitely didn’t cry at the end, no not me)
Kendall
2.5* is more like it. I’ve truly never been so neutral on a book. The plot line was so short, and the characters were fairly one-dimensional, but I generally enjoyed how the story played out. It’s alright. But that’s all I can really say.
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was beyond excited when I saw I was approved for The Sisterhood on NetGalley, my first advanced copy since I have returned to blogging. The cover on the book immediately captured my interest as it looked both mysterious and ominous. The summary of the book only intrigued me even more as I love a good thriller and mystery, and after reading the description knew this would be a book I thoroughly enjoyed reading. I was not wrong with that judgment.

Lil is 17 when her older sister Mella goes missin
Emily
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.*

Months ago, Lil's sister Mella disappeared without a trace. While the police have largely given up hope, Lil continues to hold vigil for her sister, steadfastly believing that Mella is alive and will make her way home. During a terrible storm, Lil is riding her bike and almost hits a young girl who is laying in the road. The girl is wearing strange clothes, speaks about things in a way that Lil has never heard before, and ac
Joanna Bennett
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 3.5 stars

eARC provided by publisher through NetGalley

The Sisterhood follows a young seventeen-year-old named Lil who is desperately holding on to the hope that her sister, Mella, will come back after she disappeared. One night, Lil almost hits a young girl in the road who is running from something or someone. Could she be the key to finding her sister?

This book took me for a ride! The plot is nothing short of intriguing as we learn about a cult and the secrets of those that belong to it.
CR
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
My Review: I really wanted to love this one. I mean a missing sister and a cult sign me up!! But it was really just a miss for me. I do think that some people will love this story but for me, it was a one time read and not one that I think I would come back to again. The biggest issue for me was the pacing it moves very slowly and mumbles through the entire story.

Another issue was that the characters were all just kind of meh. I really wished this would have been in Mella's POV vs. her sisters.
BookDragon
Lils sister Mella has been missing for four months. Her mother is falling apart and Lil refuses to believe that her sister is dead. Haunted by the last things she said to Mella, Lil has to keep on believing. On her bike headed to the kayaking club Lils finds an unconscious girl on the road. Is this girl a substitute for her sister?

This book is a quick read. Nothing extraordinary just another book about a cult. A family being torn apart, the typical teenage girl doing everything she is not suppos
Georgia's Book World
In Your Light is a beautiful story. I loved it. When a family member goes missing and the effect it has on the rest of the family. How it started could have been different. I found that the author gives very little character description which I found difficult to visualise them. It didn't grip me as I thought it would and the cliff hangers also could be better hence the 3 stars. I was moved when Lil went to see her sister in hospital after being rescued. It really showed the bond the sisters hav ...more
Oscar Harkins
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think the average rating stands quite accurate to the quality of this novel. I personally liked it because I enjoyed hearing the anxious and irrational thoughts of the main character Lil and definitely was fond of the cult aspect of the story, it was ominous and creepy and I wish there had been more of a background to that part of the book. I can say though that I didn’t really care for the love interest, his character didn’t really add anything to the story, he was sort of just there for conv ...more
marisa king
this was a well written, if not a bit purple prosed, storyline. however, i was not emotionally invested enough to really feel the characters’ anguish or connect with any of them. it was very predictable, no twists. i would have liked to see a bit more dire circumstances behind the motive of the character who joined the cult, the cult leader’s background, and an epilogue. i read the book in one day only because i was baited in just long enough to want to see the next moves, but it took me a lot l ...more
Tabrizia
I didn't expect to like this book this much. That's why you shouldn't always trust Goodreads users' reviews, the outcome may shock you. This dark and compelling novel had me engrossed until the very last page. I felt a personal connection with the characters, a rare feat in YA literature. This was more than just about the cult that was hiding in the Welsh countryside. This was also about the sisterly relationship between Lil and Mella. I feel readers should give this one a chance.
Destiny Bridwell
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. This book gives off creepy vibes but I guess that has to do with the cult themes that are in the book. It is about a girl named Lil who is trying to find out what happened to her sister. Then she is on her bike and comes across a girl and takes her home with her even though she has this feeling something is not right. We get glimpses of what is going on with the cult and that is just eerie.
Alondra
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Aoife
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a2, a3e, 2018, nyp, feb, simon-schuster
I'm always intrigued by a cult narrative. This isn't the best I've ever read, but it's pretty good. I liked the characters, I just felt we didn't spend long enough with the Sisterhood to understand how Moon could keep them under such tight control. It was a good read and I was eager to find out what would happen at the end and what the secret in Mella's past was. A good read overall.
LB
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was okay. It was a weird sort of mix between fantasy and realism with a real teen problem and then just a completely over the top fanatical element. That being said, not the worst book I've read this year. I cans see why it would appeal to teens and the ending was happy in a weird burnt way
Samantha
I think this could have been a better book if it wasn't YA, which I almost never say. The plot was fantastic but I felt like nothing was clearly defined. Character development could have been stronger.
Tori
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-challenge
This book I just don’t know it could have been so much better than what it was. The description was so good to drag me in. But then it got really hard not to finish it. Over all it was an ok book nothing I’d really recommend. Good story line, good thrills in it, just idk... it was ok

• Here There Are Monsters
  • How We Became Wicked
  • The Burning
  • Girls of July
  • Heartwood Box
  • Lizzie
  • What Happened That Night
  • Past Perfect Life
  • Stolen Time (Dark Stars, #1)
  • I Killed Zoe Spanos
  • Every Stolen Breath
  • After the Fire
  • The Easy Part of Impossible
  • I'm Not Missing
  • The Last 8 (The Last 8, #1)
  • All the Bad Apples
  • The Dark Beneath the Ice
  • The Truth About Lies
A. J. Grainger was born in Reading, where she went to the same school as Jane Austen but not at the same time. She now lives in London with her husband and works as a children’s books editor. She loves writing and editing because it means she gets to talk about books all day. She likes novels with plenty of twists and turns that keep you guessing right up until the end. She is also a total sucker ...more