Start by marking “The Last Second (A Brit in the FBI, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Last Second (A Brit in the FBI, #6)

The Last Second

(A Brit in the FBI #6)

From New York Times bestselling authors Catherine Coulter and J.T. Ellison comes a riveting thriller pitting special agents Nicholas Drummond and Michaela Caine against the head of a private space agency who has the power to end the world as we know it.

It’s Bastille Day in France, and the private French space agency Galactus—France’s answer to Space X, owned by the eccent
Published March 26th 2019 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about The Last Second, please sign up.
Donna Yes, but don't waste your time this was no near as good as the beginning of the series.
…more
(less)
Amanda Bhear It is not a lot of sex, if that is what you mean. It does kind of have you trying to figure out who is going to be doing what & where. There were a fe…moreIt is not a lot of sex, if that is what you mean. It does kind of have you trying to figure out who is going to be doing what & where. There were a few places where I told myself I had it all figured out, Then something else would happen & I would think wow didn't see that coming or I didn't that person would be on their side! It's pretty good, like the others ahead of it. They keep you guessing.(less)

Start your review of The Last Second (A Brit in the FBI, #6)
Tim
May 21, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Space, terrorists, holy grail, murders. That's lots to tie together and not too well in this less than appetizing goulash story. 4 of 10 stars
Maureen Carden
Why not go for broke? In Catherine Coulter and J.T.Ellison’s The Last Second The Holy Grail aka Heaven’s Stone, aliens, and a errant satellite armed with a small nuclear bomb are the threads that make up this heart thumping new outing for FBI agents Michaela (Mike) Caine and Nicholas Drummond. The nuclear device is designed to emit an EMP-electromagnetic pulse designed to take out most of the earth’s electrical grid and as a side effect maybe cause a full out nuclear war.
Too bad this was all ba
Jill McGill
Now that was a solid high-tech thriller/science fiction novel that kept me glued to my seat! This book is full of action, suspense, mystery, thrills, and even some laughter. I feel like I need a vacation after reading this one. THE LAST SECOND by Catherine Coulter and J.T. Ellison is the 6th book in the "A Brit in the FBI Thriller" series, but you can definitely read this as a stand-alone.

Do you believe in Aliens? Well, Dr. Nevaeh Patel does, and she is convinced that the aliens saved her life
Lynn Horton
I'm obviously in the minority here, and I've enjoyed the other books in this series. But the dialogue is so contrived and flat and the premise so unbelievable that I returned the book at the 50-percent mark. I just didn't want to invest any more time in it with so many other books out there to read.

Very disappointing.
Michelle
Initial thoughts: A thriller set in space?! I'm ready for this ride!

Full review:
NASA astronaut, Neveah Patel, has been grounded. While on a mission in space she had a near death experience when she became untethered from the International Space Station. During those harrowing moments she believes she was saved by an exo-planetary species - The NUMEN. However, when NASA reviewed the shuttle transmissions after the incident there was no evidence of anyone else, human or otherwise, besides Neveah a
Monnie
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read two of this "Brit in the FBI" series and absolutely loved them both, so when I got the chance to wade into this one as an advance review copy, I was ecstatic. And guess what? The story is a bit more "out there" than the others, but it's yet another 5-star winner in my book.

The very likable characters, in particular special agents Nicholas Drummond and his sweetie, Michaela "Mike" Caine, are back. The two are staying with friends and other regular characters Grant and Kitsune Thornton,
Carolyn
Thanks to NetGalley and Simon&Schuster for this ARC in return for an honest review. The book mixes elements of a high-tech thriller, science fiction, and a legendary artifact fantasy. I thought the scientific/technological aspects of the story very well explained by the authors, which made it quite easy to follow. As a non-stop action thriller, the plot moved quickly but left little time to build up a feeling of suspense and tension on my part.

I had never read any of the previous books in this
Sahitya
More of a 3.5 but I don't wanna round off to 4.

Brit in the FBI series has been a fun, thrilling reading experience with slightly out there plots but quite enjoyable with some suspension of disbelief. This book is no different and I can wholeheartedly say that I had a lot of fun, much better actually than the previous installment The Sixth Day .

This series is another one which always makes it a point to use some advance technological concepts as plot points and in this book, we get a nuclear E
Sheila Beaumont
Wow, what a wildly entertaining thrill ride this sixth entry in Catherine Coulter and J.T. Ellison's "Brit in the FBI" series is! The same likable characters are back, and this time there's even a bit of fantasy and science fiction, involving an ex-astronaut who is convinced that she is in contact with space aliens who will help her become immortal and rule the world; a Frenchman, owner of the space-satellite company Galactus, who is searching for the Holy Grail; and a satellite containing a nuc ...more
Yasmin
Jul 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up
A random old dude in the library recommended this to me so I checked it out.

Mistake.

I got about 50 pages into it. Bar none, this book has the worst dialogue I've ever read. And while it's never comfortable to begin a series in the middle, the author did a terrible job with bringing in the back story, whereas I can pick up any Brad Thor novel and understand what the dealio and recent situation is.

The author threw everything and the kitchen sink into this. Aliens (or a hallucination about aliens)
Adrienne
Well...a very good holiday read. I was surprised I enjoyed it so much. Simply because I like books that stretch to 'it could be plausible'. This was definitely beyond that: eg awards from the queen and POTUS basically at the same time, holy grail, space, nuclear bombs...
But it was great writing, inventiveness and unputdownable.
Paraphrodite
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
3 stars.

This series is getting so out of orbit (pun intended). I'm quite ambivalent over this one since it seems to jump all over the place. In a sense, I liked there is a cast of strong females but then they turned into these bitter and crazy meglomaniacs (except for our lead Mike, who is crazy in her own way!)

That finale where Nicholas and Mike infiltrate the enemy's lair is very James Bond-ish. But... (view spoiler)
Kaye
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like my thrillers to be plausible, and in this case I was disappointed. While the premise of The Last Second was somewhat believable (megalomaniacal scientist outsmarts everyone and nearly destroys Earth), the execution was not. There were too many elements of fantasy (not even mentioning the actual Holy Grail), too many glib occurrences of skating past insurmountable obstacles in impossible time spans.

And the characters: Each of them was either all good, chipper, optimistic, inhumanly capabl
Barbara ★
Catherine Coulter and J.T. Ellison are a winning combination. These books are fantastic! This one is another thrill-ride where Mike and Nicholas are running around the world trying to stop a crazy person from setting of a nuke and destroying the world as we know it. Totally fun but with it's fair share of danger and excitement. I can't wait for the next installment.
Dianne
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hang on tight for the “thriller” ride of your life! A little science fiction, a lot of daring imagination, tons of deceit and intrigue and action, action, action! THE LAST SECOND by Catherine Coulter and J.T. Ellison have created a high-powered race against time and the twisted machinations of a former astronaut who believes she has spoken to aliens, even as her wealthy boss is off searching for the Holy Grail, convinced it will save his young daughter’s life.

A satellite has just been launched i
Anita
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I love this series. Mystery-Thriller-Suspense with a touch of fantasy and two wonderful main characters. Each new book is an experience to be savored or read non stop first page to the last, which is how I did it this time around. Lots of wonderful information woven through a plot with non-stop action. Prepare for a sleepless night.

FBI Special Agents Nicholas Drummond and Micha
Molly
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE LAST SECOND

Another fun and exciting adventure in the Brit in the FBI series (#6), Nicholas Drummond and Michaela Caine are up against a rogue astronaut fixated on quieting the earth's atmosphere in an attempt to communicate with the Neumen.

Nevaeh Patel is convinced that earlier in her career it was the alien life source the Neumen that saved her from a disastrous accident while working on the International Space Station. Now that she is the director of Galactus, a private enterprise that pl
Vivian
I've enjoyed reading all of the previous books in this series and was
excited to read this one. That excitement quickly turned to massive disappointment. The premise for the story was okay, farfetched but okay. The action was more like reading about superheroes trying to save the world than agents trying to avert a major catastrophe. And if I read one more line with someone saying "boyo" I thought I might scream! Something tells me I won't be reading anymore books in this series and I'm a bit sad
Barbara
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know this book is fiction, but even fiction should be somewhat believable. This story is about trying to save the world before an EMP goes off and starts World War III. The main characters are Special Forces and seem to be super human. The story only spans about 4 days, What these characters experience in four days would put the best, most fit human in the hospital. But they carry on like nothing has happened. Sorry, but I just couldn't swallow that pill. If you overlook that, that story is en ...more
Eve
May 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story started off okay, but then it seemed to drag on and I felt like it somewhat lacked focus - there are too many characters, POVs and story-lines, there are flasbacks, too much gets revealed too early, so no big surprises. Those repetitive ramblings of crazy scientist/former astronaut, Neveah Patel's about the Numens saving the world and becoming immortal, startet to get on my nerves.

I felt like the main characters were poorly developed. As this is the sixth book in the series, then I t
Tom Mc Kenna
If you enjoy the hokey plots of the 1950's B&W B rated Si Fi movies as I do than you will definitely enjoy this story. Mike and Nicholas along with the help of a few others (view spoiler) ...more
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
The Last Second by Catherine Coulter, J. T. Ellison is a recommended thriller, highly for the right reader, and 6th in the Brit in the FBI Series.

Dr. Nevaeh Patel is an astronaut who left NASA after she returned from a mission on the International Space Station with claims that aliens, who she calls the Numen, saved her life.She was declared unfit to return to space and she resigned. Currently she is working for Galactus, a French company which launches satellites into space. The owner of Galact
Carol
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another outing of A Brit in the FBI -- what fun! As I read the first few chapters of this one, I was starting to think that one of my favorites, Catherine Coulter, was writing science fiction now! But, it was not to be. It was just a terrific twist in a great (if not a bit hard to believe) story. I was with the gang all the way, though, and it was a fantastic ride! Don't miss this one.
Paula Pugh
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for a hold your breath thriller this is the one! Just all the information and threats of an EMP (electromagnetic pulse) is enough to scare the living days out of you, especially since the information and threats are reality based.
The story is full on rapid movement that will get your heart going at every turn. It’s an excellent novel, just excellent!
3 no 7
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The Last Second” by Catherine Coulter and J T Ellison is book six in the “Brit in the FBI” series. Regular readers will enjoy this intricate plot as the future and the past intertwine, and new readers will be able to follow along because most needed information from the previous books is included as part of the narrative. The familiar cast of likeable characters is back including Michaela, Nicholas, Grant, and Kitsune. All continue with their amusing banter and at times, somewhat unusual behavi ...more
Liz
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-books
Aliens and the Holy Grail and a nuclear bomb in space and a couple of psychotic villainesses and it all somehow works. Buckle up, suspend your disbelief for a minute, and just go with it - it's a fun ride.
Leith Devine
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the sixth Brit in the FBI book by Catherine Coulter. I've read them all and they are all incredibly entertaining.

In this book, Nicholas Drummond is a former British agent now with the FBI who works his with his partner Michaela (Mick) Caine. They need to stop a former astronaut, who thinks she can talk to aliens, from disrupting world communications so she can "take over the world". The book is a mystery thriller in the truest sense of the word. Some of the scenarios are a little far-fe
Dawn
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For FBI Special Agents Nicholas Drummond and Michaela Caine, recovering from their last adventure in saving the world has given them a few days of peace but when one of their friends is lost at sea on a regular security job, they leap into action and find they are in the middle of a case that will change the face of the world if it succeeds.

Former astronaut Dr. Nevaeh Patel is booted from the NASA program after an unexpected calamity when she was out on the International Space Station. Deemed c
Elizabeth
Title:The Last Second

Author:Catherine Coulter

Series:A Brit in the FBI, #6)

Genre: adult mystery /thriller

Pages:448

Publishers:Gallery , Threshold, Pockect Books

Netgalley

book synopsis

Galactus, France’s answer to SpaceX, has just launched a communications satellite into orbit, but the payload actually harbors a frightening weapon: a nuclear-triggered electromagnetic pulse.

When the satellite is in position, Galactus’s second-in-command, Dr. Nevaeh Patel, will have the power to lay waste to the world
Wendy
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.75 to 3*. I enjoy the Brit in the FBI series. This might not be the best in the series, but still fairly enjoyable, though.

This time, it's Michaela and Nicholas on vacation, but forced to cut it off to help rescue their friend Grant. He's in the security team for this French Billionaire who owns a Space-X type company and also is an avid treasure-hunter. This billionaire's yacht just vanished off the radar. Coincidentally, the same space company is helmed by Dr Nevaeh Patel, who is determined

• Dark Tribute (Eve Duncan, #24)
  • Smokescreen (Eve Duncan, #25)
  • The Fifth Doctrine (The Guardian, #3)
  • The A List (Ali Reynolds, #14)
  • Wild Card (Stone Barrington, #49)
  • The 18th Abduction (Women's Murder Club, #18)
  • Skin Game (Teddy Fay, #3)
  • A Lethal Legacy (New York Confidential #4)
  • Hindsight (Kendra Michaels, #7)
  • Blood Oath (Alexandra Cooper, #20)
  • Tightrope (Burning Cove, #3)
  • The Cornwalls are Gone (Amy Cornwall, #1)
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • A Justified Murder (Medlar Mystery #2)
  • The Big Kahuna (Fox and O'Hare #6)
  • Outfox
  • The Persuasion (Eve Duncan, #26)
  • The Summoning (Krewe of Hunters #27)

A Brit in the FBI (6 books)
  • The Final Cut (A Brit in the FBI, #1)
  • The Lost Key (A Brit in the FBI, #2)
  • The End Game (A Brit in the FBI, #3)
  • The Devil's Triangle (A Brit in the FBI, #4)
  • The Sixth Day (A Brit in the FBI, #5)

News & Interviews