Start by marking “Eater of Lives (SPECTR #4)” as Want to Read:
Eater of Lives (SPECTR #4)

Eater of Lives

(SPECTR #4)

Alternate cover edition for ASIN B00EXOW6IS
For previous cover edition see here

When a supernatural killer is implicated in a string of cannibalistic murders, federal exorcist John Starkweather must track the demon down with the help of his live-in lover, Caleb Jansen. Caleb is possessed by Gray, a vampire spirit who is a natural demon hunter.

Caleb's desire to find the kille
Published August 2018 by Amazon Digital Services (first published September 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Eater of Lives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eater of Lives

Start your review of Eater of Lives (SPECTR #4)
Ingie
Written December 14, 2014

3.7 Stars - Another tidbit on the road to solution

Book #4

Clicked and downloaded the new audiobook edition a week ago.
Another new creepy storie part about three souls and their love-tale.

**********************************************

Eater of Lives, is the fourth (3 hr) novella part in the SPECTR series. PRN crime novellas written by a by me favorite author - Jordan L. Hawk (who also writes Whyborne & Griffin's adventures in the 1890:s).

Add to that:
Montzalee Wittmann
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Water of Lives by Jordan L Hawk and narrated by Brad Langer is book four of the series. This book is getting more intense with the possession, boyfriend, and possible lock up. Good action and emotional roller coaster.
Good narration!
Jewel
-------Orig review March 2017-------

4.5 Stars

Holy moly, these just get better and better! I'm glad I am reading them now, rather than when they came out, because cliffie!!! Though I need to jump into a different book before I read books 5 and 6 here, so...

I am loving John, Caleb and Gray. So much uncertainty regarding how things are going to end up. Gray has developed feelings for John and Caleb, but he doesn't think the feelings are returned and Caleb is so uncertain as to where his relationshi
Macky
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nooooooooo! WTF!! How can I wait till 2014 after leaving it like that? God I Love this series but it always leaves me wanting more and biting my nails to the quick. What's going to happen to the gorgeous Caleb and my lovely fangy Grey? Will John cotton on to whats really happening? What is really happening? OMG! the plot sure is thickening.... ARRRGH! I need to know and I need to know NOW!

Did I say I love this series.....

Tully Vincent
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
4.5 stars... because that ending!!! Damn... I'm glad I have the next book already or I'd be whining. Parts of this one were hard to read. Horrible, awful, powerful bad guy... YUCK. Loving this series.
Natalia
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Re-read January 2020
____________
Re-read December 2016
Love Gray!!
K.J. Charles
Another fantastic installment in the SPECTR series. We are getting seriously angsty now, as Gray and Caleb's situation closes in on them. The storybuilding is terrific, Gray is developing in a very interesting way, and the monster they face in this episode is magnificently nasty.

You definitely need to commit to the series here, not dip in. The next one isn't out till Feb 14. I may gnaw off my own foot waiting.

Eugenia
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The problem with getting the bundled series audiobook is that you just can’t stop listening!!! This is my second (or third?) listen and I love it just as much!
Melissa
Aside from some of the gross factor tied into demons eating people, this was another great installment to the series. I am curious about how this one ends because Caleb is going away with John's SPECTR boss (forget his name), and I don't have a good feeling about this! Narration is still great and I need to find out more about this series because I don't think it ends at book 6. Fingers crossed!
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~
Ugh! NOOO! Not the "MCs refuse to talk to each other so Big Misunderstandings" occur! And not the "ex comes back and causes trouble" trope. You're better than this, Ms. Hawk. So I could knock off half a star for that nonsense, but the rest of the relationship stuff was strong enough to overcome it. (And I guess when you fall in love in just a few weeks, before you really get to know the other person, it's not too far out of the realm of possibility for these things to occur.)

Complicating things
Jenni Lea
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Best of the bunch so far... No time to review; gotta find out what happens!
Chris
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What the heavens ??? They cannot take Caleb & Grey away- this next book best rectify the situation! Grow some balls John and sort this mess out ...more
Ben Howard
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
stakes are getting higher!

also getting the some pov's from the 'bad guy' here was such a good idea, and it was super creepy 😨
Eleeze
Are you kidding me?! Grrrr I need to start book 5 right now!
Annika
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook review

You know what they say about the best laid plans….

I wasn’t planning on listening to this book today, well a few minutes before I went to sleep, sure. Lo and behold, I’m still wide awake a couple of hours later and am another book down in this series… and one that ended like that! I really wish I didn’t have to go to sleep, that I didn’t have work in the morning. At times like this I hate being a responsible adult and I wish could stay up all night listening to the next book inst
Julesmarie
First Re-read 5 January 2018
Still just as hard to read the second time, even knowing how things turn out. I like my escapist reading to be a little more on the lighter side.

New Favorite Quote:
more jagged edges which will never really fit back together they way they once were.

Original Review 6 July 2014
So sad! Everyone is so sad in this one, it was harder to read. And the ending! Thank god I've already got #5 or I would be freaking out.

Favorite Quotes:
"Killing, eating, and dismembering vi
La*La
4.5 stars.

First read on July 6, 2015.
Re-read on February 25, 2016.

These books just keep getting better and better...<3
Roxana Chirilă
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am now regretting the fact that this series doesn't have undercover agents. If it had, I could take abut undercover characters with on-the-cover sexiness.

(Yes, I am still going on about the bare-chested men on these covers; they make me happy I'm reading these on Kindle as opposed to print, but I realized last night that I was comparing the luminosity of my new Kindle with someone else's *while showing them a page from this novella which happened to have a sex scene on it*. This one is totall
Chris, the Dalek King
Be careful what you wish for. You are what you eat. Nothing good lasts forever.

Time is ticking down on Caleb’s forty-day clock, and with less than two weeks to go, things are getting a little antsy in Caleb’s head. And he is starting to wonder if John won’t be able to pull a rabbit out of his hat, let alone a drakul from Caleb’s body. Then two, wholly unwanted, surprises are dropped into their laps, and suddenly Mission Save-Caleb is put on the back burner. Caleb can deal with a Windigo on the l
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
♡♥5 Stars - KAPOW!♥♡
A "Live Your Life, Buy The Book" Review

I found this series after reading Jordan L. Hawks “Whyborne & Griffin” series. I had fallen in love with her writing and wanted more. The SPECTR series is very different but has all the vivid imagery, engaging characters and action packed storyline that I have come to associate with Ms Hawk’s writing. When “Eater of Lives” released I could not wait to see what was in store for my favorite characters.

“Eater of Lives” is the fourth install
Charly
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still enjoying the series

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 7/10

PROS:
- The plot captured my attention quickly. Hawk is good at coming up with storylines that all tie together but don’t seem so similar that it feels like I’m reading a variation of the same story over and over again.
- I like the main characters more with each installment I read, but that also makes their difficult situation seem more and more hopeless.
- It’s interesting to see the intera
Tami
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great series! I put the review of all four installment into one post - I read all four in one go, so it even seemed to me like one big story.

And what a great one!

I love the world building, it is done very well, and it has a more original take on the old demons and paranormal cops trope than most books I read.

It has two great main characters: Caleb, the vegetarian hippietwink (possessed by Grey) and John, the paranormal cop and exorcist. An unusual couple with many differences, but also
Em
What an ending! I'm so glad I can move straight on to the next installment, rather than have to wait like a lot of people have had to do, I don't know what I would have done. The 40 day time period is nearly up and everyone is waiting to find out if Gray will take full possession of Caleb or not and if not, what is going to happen? Gray insists he doesn't know what all the fuss is about and is quite relaxed about the whole thing (apart from the fact that he will need to find a new host and this ...more
Danielle  Gypsy Soul
Wow - loved this one. I really enjoyed seeing John struggle a bit with what he wanted for Caleb and Gray and what he is supposed to do as an agent. The demon was interesting and seemed to be a bit more of a challenge in this book as well. I also liked seeing Caleb and Gray starting to better understand each other and admit to their feelings for John. Lots of excitement and that ending - good thing I already have book 5!
Skirmish
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
Book Reaction: http://neverhollowed.tumblr.com/tagge...
Rating: 4.5 Stars - perfection is only half a step away
Tara♥ {MindforBooks}

I have to say, Caleb kind of annoys me! He is such a moan.

Gray and John are cool though!!
Christy
Oh My God, this latest installment started with, well, a bite! I truly want to live in Jordan L. Hawk's mind for awhile. I'm guessing it's some of the best entertainment on the planet. This is the fourth book in her 'SPECTR' series and the action, excitement, laughs, and romance keep heating up!

With only two weeks left of the forty day possession rule, Caleb is getting a little nervous that John won't be able to exorcise Gray and then where will that leave Caleb? This is right along with John's
Alisa
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another exciting and fast paced adventure w/John, Caleb and Gray. Caleb's 40 days are almost up and if they don't get rid of Gray before then he's permanent. Lot's of Feelz from all three of them as they realize they don't really want Gray to go. A good read as usual with this series.
Kira
Another not so stellar installment. Well, if you look past romance - I've no complaints about it. But I had some issues with continuity here, like (view spoiler).
There was also a noticeable drop in writing quality - mistakes, again, and what's with all the awkward "Previously on Spectr" info-dumps? I mean, in books 2 and 3 it was pleasantly kept to th
Melyna
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

To read the full review please follow this link:

« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Remnant: A Caldwell & Feximal/Whyborne & Griffin Mystery (The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal, #3; Whyborne & Griffin, #3.5)
  • The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal
  • The Fantastic Fluke
  • How to Elude a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #2)
  • Feast of Stephen (A Charm of Magpies, #3.5)
  • Spectred Isle (Green Men, #1)
  • On the Wings of War (Soulbound #5)
  • Jackdaw (The World of A Charm of Magpies)
  • Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)
  • How to Lure a Hunter (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #3)
  • Spooky Business (The Spectral Files, #3)
  • Rag and Bone (Rag and Bone, #1)
  • Smash & Grab (RELIC #1)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • A Vigil in the Mourning (Soulbound, #4)
  • The Sugared Game (The Will Darling Adventures #2)
  • Flight of Magpies (A Charm of Magpies, #3)
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
Jordan L. Hawk is a trans author from North Carolina. Childhood tales of mountain ghosts and mysterious creatures gave him a life-long love of things that go bump in the night. When he isn’t writing, he brews his own beer and tries to keep the cats from destroying the house. His best-selling Whyborne & Griffin series (beginning with Widdershins) can be found in print, ebook, and audiobook. ...more

SPECTR (6 books)
  • Hunter of Demons (SPECTR, #1)
  • Master of Ghouls (SPECTR, #2)
  • Reaper of Souls (SPECTR, #3)
  • Destroyer of Worlds (SPECTR, #5)
  • Summoner of Storms (SPECTR, #6)