Start by marking “Descendant of the Crane” as Want to Read:
Descendant of the Crane

Descendant of the Crane

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  4,083 ratings  ·  1,267 reviews
Tyrants cut out hearts. Rulers sacrifice their own.

Princess Hesina of Yan has always been eager to shirk the responsibilities of the crown, but when her beloved father is murdered, she’s thrust into power, suddenly the queen of an unstable kingdom. Determined to find her father’s killer, Hesina does something desperate: she engages the aid of a soothsayer—a treasonous act,
Published April 9th 2019 by Albert Whitman & Company

To ask other readers questions about Descendant of the Crane, please sign up.
Joan He It's a standalone with the potential for companion books! Two currently exist in my head, narrated by new characters but also featuring the old, and…moreIt's a standalone with the potential for companion books! Two currently exist in my head, narrated by new characters but also featuring the old, and continuing the storyline started in DESCENDANT OF THE CRANE.(less)
Joan He I'd have to say the interaction of character and plot! I love reading a unique plot, and brewing up twists and turns in my own, but what I love most…moreI'd have to say the interaction of character and plot! I love reading a unique plot, and brewing up twists and turns in my own, but what I love most is designing each beat of the story to maximize character PAIN (and occasionally happiness :) ).(less)
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiFinale by Stephanie GarberWayward Son by Rainbow Rowell
YA Novels of 2019
829 books — 2,835 voters
We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah FaizalDescendant of the Crane by Joan HeWicked Saints by Emily A. DuncanThe Devouring Gray by Christine Lynn HermanThe Candle and the Flame by Nafiza Azad
YA Debuts 2019
158 books — 984 voters

More lists with this book...

·  4,083 ratings  ·  1,267 reviews

Start your review of Descendant of the Crane
Chaima ✨ شيماء
Me, while sipping apple juice out of a champagne glass and gazing dramatically into the distance: I've had enough of cliffhangers...

What an ending! Such a succession of shattering revelations that sent a wave through my room so strong that I felt its ripple and was rocked on its mooring. Such was the churn and whirl of my thoughts and feelings that I was genuinely incapable of putting two ideas in a row, let alone come into any kind of conclusion—other than that I desperately need a sequel.

So,
Emily May
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, arc, 2019
“Tonight, we fell victim to fear. We let it blind us. We thought we were hunting monsters…”
She stared out into the sea of flame-washed faces. It took all her strength not to look away. But we were monsters.

Descendant of the Crane was a really pleasant surprise. It's actually one of the better, more creative YA fantasies I've read, taking influence from Chinese culture and exploring morally grey areas in a story full of political machinations and twists. I hope this book doesn't get buried
Joan He
Oct 18, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
4/10/19 THE BOOK IS OUT NOW!!! Goodreads users, thank you so much for all your pre-release support. Thank you if you added the book. Thank you if you read and reviewed. Thank you if you've taken a moment to cross-post your review on Amazon. All these things have made a world of difference in getting my smaller-pub book into the hands of readers <3

FAQs
Is this book standalone?
Are the names Chinese?
How is mandarin terminology used in the text?

Hopefully this is helpful! Please remember that some
jessica
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
oh, thank the literary gods that the beauty of this story matches the gorgeousness of its cover. there is no greater relief, im telling ya.

this story is everything everyone is saying it is. its culturally rich, stunningly written, masterfully plotted, and cleverly wrapped up. i really enjoyed reading this! with all the twists and turns along the way, it is quite the adventure. its a very high-quality debut and one i hope the author is extremely proud of.

so if this is so great, how come i didnt
Vibur
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've always thought of writing as like gardening. The words rooting in my mind. Sentences and paragraphs growing together, sprouting others and more. And sometimes not. Sometimes refusing to break through the concrete blankness, like now.
How do I put to words everything that was Descendant of the Crane? I feel as if anything I write would be a disservice to this novel. To all that it encompassed and to all that it brought out.
The thing is, I like to nurture what I’ve written over time—tending
Chloe
May 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, 2019-reads
DNF at 50%.
• Read for Books With Friends

I thought I was going to love this one but unfortunately it just didn't work for me. It had a really strong start and I absolutely loved the Chinese inspired world, but the writing didn't flow well, the pacing was off, and I couldn't connect to the characters. The premise sounds amazing but unfortunately I was bored reading this.
Hamad
Nov 21, 2018 rated it liked it
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

I have read this book months ago as I had an ARC. This of course does not affect my opinions on this. I don’t know how much this review will be helpful in the first place because I remember only bits of it!

The story takes place in a Chinese inspired
Clemlucian (&#x1f3f3;️‍&#x1f308;the villain's quest)

ridiculous stars

Instagram | rant on youtube

description

Buddy-read with the wonderful Ana or attempted to. I, unfortunately, DNF'd it at 75% because I couldn't take the abuse anymore.

I think the YA fantasy genre is saturated with average books that are blending in my mind. I stopped reading the Descendant of the Crane and already, I'm mixing it with multiple,
Umairah | Sereadipity
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fangirl
Plot: 5/5 Characters: 5/5 Writing: 5/5

The Descendant of the Crane was an intricate Chinese fantasy full of treachery and about a relentless hunt for the truth. I was constantly in suspense and it kept me guessing until the very last page.

The writing was exquisitely vivid, each word weaving a net that captured my attention and didn't let go. Sometimes, I even felt as if I were a part of the story. The first half of the book was quite slow-paced, gradually building up and setting the scene.
Nick
May 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
honestly, I can not wait
Elise (TheBookishActress)
oh my god the cover

Chinese-inspired Game of Thrones!!
julianna ➹
why am i crying in the club right now????? how dare you joan (i think this might be one of my favorites of 2019)

instead of a traditional review, here's reasons why you should just read this book
joan's writing is so, so gorgeous and it creeps into your soul
(it kind of reminds me of roshani chokshi's writing? but more practical)
this literally has the most twisty plot ever. listen, I came into this book expecting a murder mystery and came out feeling like I'd walked through a hailstorm
it's not
✨    jamieson   ✨
Aug 28, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: anticipated-2019
this cover is prettier than me but im ok with it

also this is game of thrones but with chinese influence and probably will be coming out more reliably than actual got so like ?? whats not to love ????
Dannii Elle
Initial Thoughts: Just been approved for an e-arc of one of my most anticipated 2019 releases!! This cover combined with the Chinese-inspired A Game of Thrones comparison has me anticipating great things from this one.

Review: Tyrants cut out hearts. Rulers sacrifice their own. From this very first line of the synopsis I knew this was going to be the book for me.

A well-conceived costume is a new identity. From this very first line of the actual book I knew I was going to be immersed in all the
Natalie Monroe
“I thought you knew the rules of the game, my dear.”

So did I, Xia Zhong. So did I.

My biggest quibble with Descendant of the Crane is that it was marketed as a Chinese Game of Thrones. I love the moral complexity and political intricacies of GoT, and He's book was listed as one of Leigh Bardugo's most anticipated reads of 2019, so obviously I applied for an ARC. Sadly, just like King of Scars let me down earlier this year, so did this book.

Hesina is a terrible schemer, alright? In terms of the
Lily ☁️
My smol Asian heart is doing a happy dance, because I’m a Baroness at Hesina’s Imperial Court!!

Have you ever seen a book with a cover that so effortlessly transcends all human concepts of beauty, and, moreover, has a synopsis to match its outer beauty’s magnificence with equal brilliance?

// buddy read with Tiffany

Blog | Bloglovin’ | Instagram | Tumblr |Twitter
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
"Of course, heroes cannot be forged without villains..."

I REALLY enjoyed this. It is absolutely FULL of twists and turns, with stunning writing and super intriguing characters and a centuries-long fight against prejudice and discrimination.
The one thing that peeves me off about this is that it's marketed as a standalone when it is SO OBVIOUSLY NOT a standalone. The author has stated that she has companion novels lined up but the publisher is probably waiting to see how successful this first
Erin
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, kindle

Thanks to Netgalley and Albert Whitman & Company for a digital galley in exchange for an honest review

This little gem may have escaped my notice if I hadn't seen a list of highly anticipated YA novels for 2019. Reeling from the death of a beloved father, the teen regent Hessina is hell bent on finding the person or persons who may be responsible. Plenty of twists and lots of back stabbing betrayals ensue and it isn't long before Hessina wonders- who can I trust?

There is
Anja H.
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
*3 CONFUSED STARS*

Damn! I really wanted to love this, I truly did.
The comparison to a Chinese-inspired Game of Thrones had me so hyped!
And it all started off really well! There were so many plot twists, both predictable and unpredictable ones. The writing was phenomenal, can’t say anything bad about that. The world-building couldn’t have been better and was
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
THE TWISTS WERE INSANE HOLY SHIT????

more thoughts when my brain stops reeling from this madness!

---

this is chinese-inspired!!!!! yay for more representation of my culture

++ LOOK AT THAT COVER YOU GUYSSSS

[ BLOG | TWITTER | BOOKSTAGRAM | PINTEREST ]
Rachel Hartman
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this one a lot and can vouch for its awesomeness!

If you liked my first book, Seraphina - particularly the politics, palace intrigue, and mystery - then I'd encourage you to give this one a try. Courtroom drama! Philosophy! Meditations on what it means to be a just ruler! To say nothing of the fact that Joan He really knows how to finesse a plot twist; I typically see these things coming a mile away, but she kept me guessing (and the final one just pulled the rug out from under me) and
Vicky Who Reads
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5 stars

Don’t forget! Descendant of the Crane is also out on APRIL 9th as the pub date was pushed back a week. Still, very excited for my copy to come!

For the first time ever, I experienced blogger-writer’s block for this review.

I read this in October or November and spent five months writing this. It’s not super long or anything, I just have no words that will do this book justice.

I could write a one-sentence summary of this review right now, and you can turn around and preorder this book
Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader)
3.5/5 stars

Descendant of the Crane was overall a great début, the last part of the book was very captivating, but I think it would've benefitted from being grittier and slightly more mature, aging up the characters a few years, focusing on the moral ambiguousness of characters and situations that were already presented here, only filtered through the genre it was written for.

The last sequence of the book was really good, and if there is a sequel (which there needs to be b/c that was no ending at
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Eventually — EVENTUALLY — I will defeat this terrible YA fantasy slump and learn how to enjoy life (and my ARCs) again. But... alas, today is not that day. I'll pick this back up ASAP, though.
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

A reluctant princess becomes a queen of a Chinese-inspired kingdom so she can investigate her father's mysterious death. There is politics, a courtroom, outlawed magic and drama with a neighboring nation. SIGN ME UP!! The premise alone sounded dynamite...

And I mean come on... there were 5 star ratings coming out left and right waaaaaaaayyyyyyy before the release date because readers were loving it so much. In fact, I didn't see one
nuin giliath
*I received an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review*

2.5/5 stars

Throughout my time reading this book, I've debated on how I would accurately describe my reaction to it. I have determined that Descendant of the Crane is fairly average for the most part, yet it has the potential to be something amazing. I was initially drawn to this story by the premise of a fantasy novel set in an Asian-influenced world with a strong female character and plenty of intrigue. To my disappointment, I
- ̗̀ DANY  ̖́- (danyreads)
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, 2019-reads
. : — 5

READ THIS REVIEW ON MY BLOG!!!

ARC provided from the publisher via Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review (thank you Albert Whitman & Company!!)

this book legitimately left me speechless. I’ve been trying to write this review for DAYS and I just can’t seem to get any words out?? it was beyond anything I’ve ever read, on so many levels. it’s a murder mystery disguised as a fantasy disguised as a deep study of power and family dynamics and mythology and
Hafsah Faizal
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A gripping tale full of intrigue, unpredictable twists, and betrayal—this is the Chinese fantasy readers have been waiting for.

Hesina is what many of us girls once were: obligated to age before our time, to take on roles we should not have had to bear. It's a reality many girls of color are forced to endure, and it was as refreshing as it was bittersweet to read. Hesina, royal by birth, does not take all of her newfound responsibilities without struggle and without a hefty dose of mistakes, and
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
(This preliminary review is based on an ARC provided by the author.)

So, here are my cacophony of thoughts and feelings, most of which I'll hopefully organise for my full review:

- Great twists, great writing, and filled with surprises? I haven't been surprised (by twists) in a long time, so feeling surprised felt... wonderful.
- Loved that this was a Chinese-inspired fantasy.
- The first 50% of the book was a 2/5 for me. The shaky pacing made it difficult for me to return to this book with each
Lost Between The ...: June BoTM: Descendant of the Crane by Joan He 21 25 Jun 10, 2019 09:39AM
Illumicrate Group: Ch 17 - 20 (pages 203 - 246) 9 24 May 28, 2019 02:11PM
Illumicrate Group: Ch 13 - 16 (pages 146 - 202) 7 18 May 28, 2019 02:00PM
Illumicrate Group: Ch 9 - 12 (page 101 - 145) 6 23 May 28, 2019 01:50PM
Illumicrate Group: Ch 27 - end (Pages 347 - 401) 10 22 May 20, 2019 04:43PM
Illumicrate Group: Ch 25 - 26 (pages 307 - 346) 7 14 May 18, 2019 03:03AM
Illumicrate Group: Ch 21 - 24 (Pages 247 - 306) 6 17 May 17, 2019 12:20PM

• Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • The Candle and the Flame
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • The Dragon Republic (The Poppy War, #2)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
Joan was born and raised in Philadelphia but still will, on occasion, lose her way. At a young age, she received classical instruction in oil painting before discovering that stories were her favorite kind of art. She studied psychology and Chinese history at the University of Pennsylvania and currently writes from a desk overlooking the city
waterfront. Descendant of the Crane is her young adult
“What is truth? Scholars seek it. Poets write it. Good Kings pay gold to hear it. But in trying times, truth is the first thing we betray.” 14 likes
“Equality is not the natural way of the world, whispered her father's voice. It must be nurtured.” 10 likes