Start by marking “Descendant of the Crane” as Want to Read:
Descendant of the Crane

Descendant of the Crane

"Tyrants cut out hearts. Rulers sacrifice their own." Princess Hesina of Yan has always been eager to shirk the responsibilities of the crown, but when her beloved father is murdered, she’s thrust into power, suddenly the queen of an unstable kingdom. Determined to find her father’s killer, Hesina does something desperate: she engages the aid of a soothsayer—a treasonous a ...more
Expected publication: April 2nd 2019 by Albert Whitman Company

To ask other readers questions about Descendant of the Crane, please sign up.
Joan He It's a standalone with the potential for companion books! Two currently exist in my head, narrated by new characters but also featuring the old, and…moreIt's a standalone with the potential for companion books! Two currently exist in my head, narrated by new characters but also featuring the old, and continuing the storyline started in DESCENDANT OF THE CRANE.(less)
Joan He I'd have to say the interaction of character and plot! I love reading a unique plot, and brewing up twists and turns in my own, but what I love most…moreI'd have to say the interaction of character and plot! I love reading a unique plot, and brewing up twists and turns in my own, but what I love most is designing each beat of the story to maximize character PAIN (and occasionally happiness :) ).(less)

Joan He
Nov 06, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
11.28.18: eARCs are available to request on NetGalley and Edelweiss, and all of your excitement has meant the world!

If your request is denied, you can reach out through my website for an eARC. And if you like the book and want to support it, preordering makes a huge difference in terms of visibility, as well as library requests!

Also pleaseeee forgive any typos/awkward phrasing/wonky sentences in the ARC!!! Love you all <3

8.29.18: We have a cover!! It's so very Chinese, and I'm really humbled
شيماء ✨
I’m very excited for the future and by “future” I mean this Chinese-inspired game of thrones book
Vibur
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always thought of writing as like gardening. The words take root, sometimes growing. Sometimes sprouting others and more—sentences and paragraphs blossoming together.
And sometimes not. Sometimes refusing to break through—through the barrenness of diction and the grit of grammar, through the concrete blankness of my mind—as is the case now.
How do I put to words everything that was Descendant of the Crane? I feel as if anything I write would be a disservice to this novel. To all that it enc
Melanie

I am so honored to be a part of Hesina's Imperial Court, to help boost this beautiful story!

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch
Elise (TheBookishActress)
oh my god the cover

⭐⭐⭐Chinese-inspired Game of Thrones!!
may ➹
Jan 06, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t believe you if you say this isn’t the most gorgeous, gloriously Asian cover you’ve seen
Lily ☁️
My smol Asian heart is doing a happy dance, because I’m a Baroness at Hesina’s Imperial Court!!

Have you ever seen a book with a cover that so effortlessly transcends all human concepts of beauty, and, moreover, has a synopsis to match its outer beauty’s magnificence with equal brilliance?

// buddy read with Tiffany 🌺

Blog | Bloglovin’ | Instagram | TumblrTwitter

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Reading this after THE GIRL KING turned out to be a really weird experience because they are both very similar stories. Dare I say that "Asian-inspired" fantasy novels in kingdoms where magic is forbidden seems to be the new trend? But, like, seriously, both are about royal siblings who must struggle to learn to manage their kingdoms in times of severe political upheaval. These kingdoms are also utterly opposed to magic - in THE GIRL KING,
Hamad
Nov 21, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
GUESS. WHO. WAS. JUST. APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
✨    jamieson   ✨
this cover is prettier than me but im ok with it

also this is game of thrones but with chinese influence and probably will be coming out more reliably than actual got so like ?? whats not to love ????
Dannii Elle
Update: This lived up to every one of the crazy high expectations I placed upon it. I am in absolute adoration of the writing and in utter denial over how shook the ending has me! Coherent review to follow.

Just been approved for an e-arc of one of my most anticipated 2019 releases!! This cover combined with the Chinese-inspired A Game of Thrones comparison has me anticipating great things from this one.
Emily May
Nov 30, 2018 marked it as arc-2019  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, fantasy, young-adult

ARC provided in exchange for honest review. 🦢
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
this is chinese-inspired!!!!! yay for more representation of my culture 😍

++ LOOK AT THAT COVER YOU GUYSSSS
Azraa F
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A queen should decry things in style.

description

Carve your own fate. Understand, Little Bird?

description
Christine
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS BOOK. This book!!! One of the few GAME OF THRONES comps I've seen that truly lives up to the bloody, devious, sprawling feel of the original -- and in a Chinese imperial dynasty setting to boot! DON'T SLEEP ON THIS ONE.
Hafsah Faizal
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gripping tale full of intrigue, unpredictable twists, and betrayal—this is the Chinese fantasy readers have been waiting for.

Hesina is what many of us girls once were: obligated to age before our time, to take on roles we should not have had to bear. It's a reality many girls of color are forced to endure, and it was as refreshing as it was bittersweet to read. Hesina, royal by birth, does not take all of her newfound responsibilities without struggle and without a hefty dose of mistakes, and
Vicky Who Reads
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[SCREAMS INTO EVERY VOID IN THE WORLD]

THIS WAS SO AMAZING

I have so many feelings whyyyy emotions suck
Anja
Nov 07, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
"Chinese-inspired Game of Thrones...." SAY NO MORE.
*adds to list*
Laura Pohl
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read an early draft of this way back in 2015. Joan and I had just met in a CP forum, and she was one of the first people to exchange manuscripts with me. I was so stunned by her writing, her descriptions are lush and her characters are amazing. This whole book is heart-wrenching, and I only know what it'll be even more excellent as a finished copy. I'm so proud of Joan and her journey, and you should all add this to your TBR.
Sh3lly (grumpybookgrrrl.com)
Rejected at Netgalley and accepted at Edelweiss! lol. Funny how that works sometimes. Regardless, so excited! :D
Mic
THIS IS STILL THE BEST BOOK EVER, THANK YOU AND GOOD NIGHT.

~~

I AM BIASED BECAUSE JOAN IS MY CP AND I THINK THE SUN SHINES FOR HER AND SHE HOLDS THE MOON IN HER HAND.

but

Descendant of the Crane is so good. So twisty, so smart, so intricate. Like, Joan is a star. And you will be in awe of her talent and skill and ability to take over the world. I swear, she could run an empire. And the CHARACTERS. You will LOVE and HATE and SWOOOOOON. I am going to throw this at everyone. This book deserves to b
Shealea
Descendant of the Crane made me abandon all my academic requirements, lose an entire night’s worth of sleep (I finished at around 7:30 in the morning), and had me crying at least thrice.

It certainly delivers on being a Chinese-inspired Game of Thrones, although some scenes made me think that perhaps GoT pales in comparison to this impeccably written debut. I think I just read the best novel to be released in 2019, and 2018 isn’t even over yet.

Full review to come!

* The universe smiled upon me an
Stephanie L (catteabooks)
As a fellow Asian, this cover brings legit tears to my face.
Benjamin
Aug 26, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I will buy anything that says "Chinese-inspired."
Can someone tattoo that gorgeous cover on me?

I swear I don't want to read anything that isn't this book.
K. Wolf
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read an early version of this novel and, guys. Prepare to have your socks knocked off by amazing worldbuilding, page-turning intrigue, and characters that make you go through all the feels.
I can't WAIT to have a copy in my hands.
Camile Souza (This Chamber of Books)
Chinese-inspired fantasy with that gorgeous cover?

ohh count me the hell in.
Alice
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-voices, princess

Man, Caiyan is my fave after all.

General thoughts: the reveals in the last 1/3 were good, but it took forever and too many flashbacks to get there.

Review to come.

Pre-review:

EDIT Dec 4th: I can't believe I just got accepted for an e-ARC of this :D hallelujah dreams do come true.

I NEED THIS BOOK IN MY LIFE. Another book that I've always wanted to read/write.

EDIT Aug 31 2018 - I pre-ordred tf out of this. I'M READY, JOAN. I will never not be ready for a Chinese(-esque) princess becomin
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
8/28/18
This cover is channeling all the right Asian vibes
—-
Chinese-inspired Game of Thrones...interesting...
Mel Anie
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, 2019
Stunning! This was so good. Kept me thinking, guessing (and failing badly) what will happen next.

Full review to come!
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

I’m going to have to divide this book up into sections in order to properly rate it, because it was all over the place.

The plotline was definitely interesting. Princess Hesina has just inherited the throne of Yan from her father, who died young; she’s convinced that he was murdered, but nobody else in the kingdom believes her. Nonetheless she’s determined to ferret out the murderer.

To that end, she has to contact soothsayers. Which is a
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Joan started out in art - the pencil-sketching, oil-painting kind of art - only to discover the art of the written word. So here she is now, love undivided.

When she's not writing or senioring at the University of Pennsylvania (where she studies Psychology and East Asian Languages and Cultures), she hunts down cute wombat videos, drinks an obscene amount of iced coffee, and pretends she can handle