Start by marking “I Used to Be Famous” as Want to Read:
I Used to Be Famous

I Used to Be Famous

Kiely's been famous her entire life, but when a baby sister appears on the scene, she feels like a has-been. Now Kiely has to figure out how to gain back the attention of her adoring fans (her family), even if it means sharing the spotlight.
Published April 1st 2019 by Albert Whitman Company

To ask other readers questions about I Used to Be Famous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Used to Be Famous

Start your review of I Used to Be Famous
Almira
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Used this at story time this morning. The children really seemed to enjoy the concept, the caregivers as well.
Alex  Baugh
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
April 10th is Sibling Day, a day to celebrate our brothers and sisters. But sometimes the road to that celebration can be a bit hard and rocky, especially for the eldest sibling, who once was the one and only child until suddenly they find they have some competition for the spotlight.

That is exactly what happens to young Kiely (I am Famous). She's that cute young girl who was the apple of everyone's eye and could almost do no wrong, even when she flubbed, and learned the value of unconditional l
Baby Bookworm
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is I Used To Be Famous, written by Becky Cattie and Tara Luebbe and illustrated by Joanne Lew-Vriethoff, a follow-up to last year’s I Am Famous.

Kiely – the precocious, performing girl of the first book – is back, and still the center of attention. She has practically everything one might expect from a triple-threat celebrity in the spotlight: a personal shopper (h
Bethany M. Edwards
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Keily is back and spunkier than ever in the highly anticipated I USED TO BE FAMOUS. In this sequel to I AM FAMOUS, the spotlight Keily has been enjoying gets crowded. This spunky and perfectly sassy young starlet now has to figure out a way to share with the arrival of a new baby sister.

Keily is the star of every show. She has everything going for her. However, with the arrival of new competition, she might be losing some of her star power.

They say good things come in small packages, however Kei
Susan
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I Used To Be Famous
By Tara Luebbe and Becky Cattie @tarraluebbe @beckycattie ⭐️
Pictures by Joanne Lew-Vriethoff @joannelewvriethoff
⭐️
Thank you to the authors, illustrator, publisher and #blueslipmedia for the free copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
⭐️
I loved The author’s first book, I AM FAMOUS. It reminded me of so many families who simply can’t get enough of the new star in the family, especially if it’s child number one! 😉The camera is never still and every move is recorded for all
Stacie
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Kiely is famous, constantly being followed by the paparazzi (her family), but someone new is in town. In her first book I AM FAMOUS, Kiely relished in all the attention she got from everyone she knew. She received praise and accolades for every trick she did.

Suddenly, Kiely notices that her paparazzi aren’t following her anymore. Who is the new celebrity in town? It’s someone who has no fashion sense and has no talent. It’s her baby sister, Abby. Kiely is ready to give up the spotlight until she
Kristi Bernard
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: multicultural
Kiely was the popular one and thought she was the star of the show. Basically, she was. That is until a little sister arrived. Her name was Abby and now everyone focused their attentions on her. At first, Kiely pointed out to Abby all the things she couldn’t do. Kiely tried to get herself back into the spotlight, but it didn’t work. Eventually she gave up and decided to show little Abby how the show must go on. What do you think she did?

This adorable story is the sequel to Kiely and how her pare
Becky Shillington
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kiely is back and poised for another blockbuster in this adorable, plucky follow up to I AM FAMOUS. Now a pro at all things Showbiz, she’s ready to sit back and bask in the glow of her fame when, one day, the spotlight shifts and an unwelcome co-star crawls on stage—a brand new baby sister! Flabbergasted, Kiely tries to upstage the stinky little moppet with every scene-stealing trick she knows, but eventually she admits defeat. When the kid turns her megawatt cuteness her way, however, Kiely beg ...more
Rachel
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I Used To Be Famous is an adorable and funny take on the classic big-sibling story. It’s a sequel to I Am Famous, but you don’t have to read that one first to understand and adore I Used to Be Famous. This is a great example of a character driver picture book with both humor and heart. The main character, big-sister Kiely, has a BIG personality and is lots of fun. My favorite line: “I have no choice. I must confront this moppet.”

The illustrations are super cute and do a great job of enhancing th
RedPoppyReading
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My five year old (and I) are obsessed with “I Used To Be Famous,” by @taraluebbe and @beckycattie and illustrated by @joannelewvriethoff ! It’s rough when a kid goes from being the center of attention to the big sister - your fan club is focused on someone new. Our protagonist in this book goes through a full range of emotions but ultimately discovers two people can share the spotlight. Written for kids ages 4-8, this book is sure to be a hit when it is released on April 1, 2019.

Thanks to @tara
Keshia
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
@kidlitexchange #partner Thanks to the #kidlitexchange network and publisher Albert Whitman & Company for the review copy of this book - all opinions are my own. This is a super cute sequel to the book I Am Famous. Kiely is a huge celebrity! The paparazzi (aka her parents) are always taking pictures of her and her fans (grandparents and aunts) love to watch her perform. But when a new celebrity comes to town, Kiely feels upstaged. This story is so perfect for only children who are suddenly shari ...more
Margaret
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The sequel of I am Famous, this cute picture book picks up with the fame-loving Kiely struggling to share the spotlight with her new baby sister. At first shocked and horrified to learn that baby sis is stealing her spotlight, Kiely learns that being a big sister can have advantages, especially for paparazzi-loving girls like her. With super cute illustrations and a likable voice, there is a lot here to like for all picture book lovers, but this would be a great gift and story to share with boys ...more
Meera Sriram
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this wonderful sequel to "I Am Famous," Kiely's baby sister is the new, rising star at home - NOT Kiely. And that's excruciatingly frustrating for Kiely... until she realizes the greater joy from sharing the spotlight! With the right balance of spunk and charm, Kiely wins our heart while making it relatable to children her age. The illustrations capture the cuteness and delight of sibling bonding and childhood imagination. "I Used to be Famous," is a meaningful story that doesn't fail to ente ...more
Megan
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved I Am Famous, but this sequel is even cuter, if that's possible! It's an age-old problem -- the older child gets upstaged by the new baby in the family. But this time, it's really a stage and the older child's struggle is depicted so incredibly well. This book will help every child who is facing that uncertainty of "where do I fit now?" when a new baby arrives. Definitely worth buying for that family expecting a new baby but also just so cute that it's an asset to every family library. Ki ...more
Derick Wilder
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kiely’s back…and she has some serious competition!
The author/illustrator team who introduced us to Kiely in I Am Famous is at it again. But this time, there’s twice the adorableness. No one could possibly take Kiely’s place in the family spotlight, right? Enter baby sister, who amps up the cuteness and threatens to dim Kiely’s star. But leave it to big sis to devise a solution that both children and parents will love and appreciate. With snappy, showbiz-sprinkled text and endearing illustrations
Johnell Dewitt
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A solid sequel to I Am Famous by the same authors and illustrator. Kiely's relatable personality shines through again as she realizes that little sister is stealing her limelight. Kiely navigates the typical feelings of sibling rivalry as she tries to re-capture the attention of her 'fans.' Kiely makes peace with the new situation in a perfectly Kiely way that will endear her again to both the child and parent reader. A fun bedtime read.
Lisa
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kiely returns! The sequel to I Am Famous! is just what her fans were waiting for, and will also delight those who haven’t yet met this instantly relatable star. Kiely, a “triple threat” adored for her many talents, is dismayed to be upstaged by a baby sister. She convincingly navigates her new role and wins hearts again. Clever humor and engaging illustrations make this book a fun read which will have special appeal to families with a new sibling.
Samantha
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kiely is back and she's ready to take center stage again...only something isn't quite right. A new arrival to the family throws Kiely for a loop. How can this star compete with the adorable new talent?
Bringing the same sass and spunk seen in I AM FAMOUS, Tara Luebbe and Becky Cattie create a unique and creative spin on the older/younger sibling relationship. A must read for all older (and younger) siblings!
Jennifer Barr
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes it's hard being the older sister! Adorable story about Kiely, whose family has turned their attention to the new baby in the house. Kiely USED to be famous and now has to get creative! Eye catching art that will grab attention, easy to understand language, and a strong lesson about adjusting to new situations - plus a ton of costume changes! A fantastic follow up to I AM FAMOUS.
Valentina Mendicino
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jess
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A sweet sequel to I Am Famous by the same writing and illustration team. Kiely used to be famous, but when her paparazzi seems to skip town, she discovers another starlet has stolen her spotlight. She faces the dilemma that all children do when a new member joins the family: fight for center stage or find a way to form an ensemble.
Jen Bagan
Shelves: pb-humorous
Great sequel to I Am Famous! Superstar Kiely gets taken down a peg when baby sister arrives. She desperately tries to cling to the spotlight but it seems her fans have moved on. With sweet and funny scenarios, the authors create a relatable story that will leave readers cheering for Kiely and her new co-star.
Rebecca J. Koehn
Shelves: picture-books
Kiely returns in the sequel to I AM FAMOUS! Her fans have deserted her and she finds them showering a new celebrity with all their attention. My favorite aspect of this sibling book is that the used-to-be-famous Kiely discovers that, although she seems to have lost her original fan club, she's gained one very important fan. Together, they can continue to be FAMOUS!
Margaret
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is another adorable book by Tara Luebbe and Becky Cattie about when Kiely finds herself pushed out of the spotlight by her baby sister. Kiely's fun voice and spunky personality shine in this sequel to "I Am Famous." Perfect for any kid who finds themselves sharing attention with a younger sibling.
Desiree
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kiely loves the limelight! She was made for selfies, PR campaigns, an endorsement deals from general mills. Her rise to family stardom quickly plummets with the birth of her little sister. Kiely is wary of this new starlet, but decides to show her the ropes. Great book about learning to accept and embrace an new addition to the family.
Danna Smith
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a darling sequel to I AM FAMOUS! In this story, the fabulously famous Kiely is upstaged by her little sister...until Kiely learns there is room enough for two on the stage. The fun, fabulous antics and darling illustrations will have your little star asking for an encore!
Viviane Elbee
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is an adorable sequel to I AM FAMOUS, and this time, the spunky main character Kiely has a new baby sister that she has to share the spotlight with. There's plenty of humor in this new sibling story.
I was fortunate to be able to look at an ARC - can't wait to get my hands on the real book.
Margaret Boling
5/31/2019 ~ A great sibling book. I dare you to read it without smiling at the dancing, singing, and acting; giving a rueful sigh at the signs of jealousy; and uttering an "awww" at the end when the big sister accepts her role.

As always, I also appreciate books with kids of color doing adorable, everyday things. My readers will see themselves in this story. Readers at majority white schools will see kids who may look different, but who sing, act, and dance just like they do.
Sheri
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ahhh, the feelings of the first child when more children are born into the family and this main character's role is changed to big sister and no longer the center of attention. But Kiely learns to share in the attention and help Abby become a famous duo of daughters.
Karla Valenti
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
An adorable sequel to I AM FAMOUS, capturing Kiely's beloved spunky and lively personality but also showcasing her more vulnerable side, as Kiely faces the possibility of losing the limelight. An original take on the evergreen theme of sibling stories.

• Hair Love