Start by marking “Tokyo Mindscapes: Where to Go, When to Go, What to See” as Want to Read:
Tokyo Mindscapes: Where to Go, When to Go, What to See

Tokyo Mindscapes: Where to Go, When to Go, What to See

Traveling to Tokyo? Be sure to see some of the most iconic sites in Tokyo and nearby cities—from gorgeous skylines and jaw-dropping nature to hidden treasures. With this photo/guidebook, visitors can explore both the cutting-edge and traditional parts of the city like a local. Misaki Matsui, the photographer and author, introduces the beauty of the four seasons of Tokyo an ...more
Published August 1st 2019 by Museyon

To ask other readers questions about Tokyo Mindscapes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tokyo Mindscapes

Start your review of Tokyo Mindscapes: Where to Go, When to Go, What to See
Maya
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-gift, interesting
Let me just start by saying that I'm so impressed by this author's work and how much effort and knowledge she put into this unbelievable book / guide of Tokyo. If you ever want to go to Tokyo, buy this book! Seriously! I'm not just saying it because of the amazing pictures of all the places you can visit but because you will never get lost in this humongous city of 13 million people. There are maps of all the places you can go and the best part is that you have all the information you could need ...more
Lora Milton
Jan 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
This is a beautiful, full color travel book showing some of the real beauty of Tokyo. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone about to travel there for the first time.

The parks and temples are more than pretty! The book gives background and significance of places, trees and everything a traveler really needs to know to fully appreciate visiting these places.

It would also make a great remembrance book for someone who has seen these places and might want to remember their significance. The
Etienne
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting and beautiful visual guide to some part of Tokyo. The destination presented were good and pretty but just center too much on parks/gardens, it was good ideas, but surely there is other things, or kind of, to see or do in Tokyo...
Janet
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it

When it is hot as heck outside and there is nothing cool to do but reading as everything else makes you end up a sweaty mess, it is the perfect day for a speed reader.

Travelling to Tokyo? Be sure to see some of the most iconic sites in Tok
Erin
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, 2019, 5-stars
My mind is sufficiently blown. Before reading this book, while I was definitely intrigued by the beauty and culture of Japan, I was also a bit passe about it. It seemed so far away and so different from my own culture and country that I simply couldn't wrap my head around it. But reading this book has really broadened my horizons (which wouldn't be that hard, but the sentiment still stands). It is truly stunning. The photography is sublime. The detail is superb. I love how the author has organis ...more
Jason Muckley
"Tokyo Mindscapes" by misaki matsui is a beautiful primer on art, culture, religion and lifestyle in Tokyo, Japan. It is meant to be a guidebook to a thriving city, home to more than 13 million people, but also would be a beautiful souvenir after a visit.

It contains around 70 different sites separated by season highlighting the festivals that each season corresponds with and the various cultural sights to see during those times. misaki matsui is both a brilliant artist and an eager host, wantin
Sharon
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Museyon and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of Tokyo Mindscapes: Where to Go, When to Go, What to See. I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

Author Misaki Matsui wanted to introduce the beauty and complexity of Tokyo through the four seasons. With different cultural events, landscapes, and places of interest, Tokyo comes to life though the photographs and accompanying explanations. Tokyo Mindscapes is a great travel guide for those new to the
Sharon Tyler
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tokyo Mindscapes: Where to Go, When to Go, What to See by Misaki Matsui is currently scheduled for release on August 1 2019. Traveling to Tokyo? Be sure to see some of the most iconic sites in Tokyo and nearby cities—from gorgeous skylines and jaw-dropping nature to hidden treasures. With this photo/guidebook, visitors can explore both the cutting-edge and traditional parts of the city like a local. The photographer and author introduces the beauty of the four seasons of Tokyo and surrounding ci ...more
The digital version needs some serious work on formatting to make the readability better, but the overall places and ideas are great!

See the full review and more at baileysbooks.home.blog!

Recommended: sure
For a short guide with ideas for a trip to Tokyo, for seasonal ideas, and for photos to get you excited and choose which you want to prioritize

Thoughts:
There were a decent number of suggestions for each season, so you still got a good number of useful ideas to choose from regardless of the popu
Amanda
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I never had any desire to visit Tokyo until I read Tokyo Mindscapes, and that's the highest praise I can give any tour guide. Curling up with it was a lovely, tranquil experience of armchair travel. I only wish there were more pictures! Dividing it up by seasons gave it a timeless feeling that seemed very in tune with Japanese culture. Highly recommended.

I received a digital ARC from the publisher via Netgalley.
Kristine
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
Tokyo Mindscapes by Misaki Matsui is a free NetGalley ebook that I read into early August.

A book that recognizes the seasons in Tokyo through its events, festivals, and amateur-to-almost-professional photos of sites. The touristy captions for each photo mostly have a historical, definition-based bent. I dunno, I think I expected more.
Brandy
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book has amazing pictures and notes of each place that's hidden within Tokyo, Japan. As a person who always wanted to visit such an amazing place, I always enjoy books like this. I love the best kept secrets inside this book and learned a lot about the cultural notes of each place that is pictured within the book. I will keep some of the places in mind if I ever do visit Japan one day. ...more
April Gray
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely book, giving travel ideas for what to see in Tokyo- not just the usual touristy sites, but some of the lesser known, more hidden things to do and see. Especially nice is that the book covers all seasons, to give travelers who visit during off-season times ideas as well. Beautiful photography throughout completes the package!
Karen
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This guide is full of beautiful photographs and would make a wonderful gift for someone moving to our planning to visit Tokyo. It was fun to read through and learn about a city I've not yet visited.

Thank you to Museyon Inc and NetGalley for the eARC in exchange for my honest review.
Andrea Wright
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Gorgeous book that I would get for anyone going or living in Tokyo! Stunning photography, well laid out book with info, including maps of the areas. Would love to see it in hardback.
Heather Bennett
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tokyo Mindscapes is a beautiful book and it would make a great gift. The photographs are stunning and interesting.
Alexandra
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
It is not really a long book. It has a brief - very brief - history of Japan. Divided into the seasons and what you can see at its best during those seasons. A quick introduction to different places and get one or two images.
Alex
Alex
Sep 28, 2020
Ahmed
Feb 02, 2021

• Till Human Voices Wake Us (Till Human Voices Wake Us, #2)
  • To Kill the President (Maggie Costello, #3)
  • Trapped in Room 217
  • Traitor to the Throne (Rebel of the Sands, #2)
  • The Witch's Book of Potions: The Power of Bubbling Brews, Simmering Infusions & Magical Elixirs
  • Thomasina
  • Tim Cratchit's Christmas Carol: The Sequel to the Celebrated Dickens Classic
  • Thor
  • Unfettered (Unfettered, #1)
  • Voices in Crystal (Children of Stone, #1)
  • In the Beginning (Vampire #1)
  • The Vines
  • Unnatural Creatures
  • Unsettled Spirits: A Dreadful Penny Novella
  • Urban Magick: A Guide for the City Witch
  • Voices of the Damned
  • Tombland (Matthew Shardlake, #7)
  • The Whispering Swarm (Sanctuary of the White Friars, #1)

News & Interviews