Start by marking “Inside the Empire: The True Power Behind the New York Yankees” as Want to Read:
Inside the Empire: The True Power Behind the New York Yankees

Inside the Empire: The True Power Behind the New York Yankees

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

A riveting look at what is really said and done behind closed doors with the New York Yankees, the most famous and wealthiest sports franchise in the world

Using the 2018 baseball season as the backdrop, Inside the Empire gives readers the real, unvarnished “straight-from-the-gut” truth from Brian Cashman, Aaron Boone, Giancarlo Stanton, C.C. Sa
Published March 26th 2019 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Inside the Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside the Empire

Grace
There was some really interesting information about the front office in this. I knew some of it, but there were definitely things I didn't know. The details of how the YES Network came about were really interesting to me, for example, and I'm still horrified at the idea that the Dolans could have purchased an 80% interest in the team.

However, I read this knowing that I would probably not enjoy it because I'm generally not a fan of Klapisch's writing, and I was absolutely right on that front. To
Richard Iurilli
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, nonfiction, baseball
This book was INSUFFERABLE. It has a few good insights about player development but wastes the rest of its pages recapping the 2018 season (if you just read this you’d never know that team won 100 games), regurgitating tired criticisms and whining about strikeouts, bloggers, millennials and whatever else Bob Klapisch doesn’t like.
Chris Jaffe
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: baseball, sports
Some parts of this book are excellent. I especially liked the chapter "Night School" which focused on how the Yankees acculturate their Third World prospects. (Example: have them watch Friends re-runs to help them with English). The opening chapters of the book are also first rate, as the authors discuss Brian Cashman, analytics, and how they prepare all their players for the media.

But the heart of the book focuses on the 2018 season, and once that gets going, the book isn't anything special. Th
Chris
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have been on a quest to read all of the Pulitzer Prize novels, starting with the newest and working my way back. After 43 I needed something light, and this served that need. I picked up this book after hearing one of the authors on the Jim Rome show. An entertaining read, but one of this nature in some respects could be risky. What I mean by this is that it will be interesting to revisit some of the assertions the authors make about the 'Baby Bombers' in a few years to see what holds up. Peop ...more
Dave
May 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book came out with a lot of publicity. No surprise there Huh. A book about the Yankees, and their new generation of players. Some nice insights about how they are building their team. If you are a baseball fan you might enjoy the book.
Marty Monforte
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Bob Klapisch and Paul Solotaroff co authored this book. The work is a combination of an view of the inner workings of the Yankees and a summary of the 2018 season. The book seems to emphasize the latter more.

The authors showed some insight into the Yankees and a decent ability to discuss important moments of the season. They begin the book with a discussion of the general managers meeting, which takes place annually during the off season. At this particular meeting, the Yankees were approached
Jeff
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
As others have said, if you are a Yankees fan you will likely enjoy this book. The book takes an in-depth look into the 2018 season largely through the lens of Brian Cashman and Hal Steinbrenner. It also covers some interesting topics including how the Steinbrenner ownership group turned a fledgling organization in the 70s into the most profitable sports organization in history.

As the authors mention, both the new-school players (Judge, etc) and ownership (Hal Steinbrenner) have embraced a tight
Louis Lapides
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Any serious NY Yankee fan would devour this book. Bob Kaplisch and Paul Solotaroff were given the green light from the Yanks to go behind the scenes to write about everyone associated with the NY organization.

The book is filled with memories of the Yanks going back to the 80s and focusing in on the 2018 season. The authors had access from Cashman to other major admin people in the Yankee organization and most of all, to every player on their roster as well as up and coming stars from their minor
Mickey Mantle
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked it up for light reading. I once was a huge fan of MLB, but have become totally bored with four hour games and teams waiting for a 3 run homer. This book entertained me and reinforced my belief in the dullness and lack of action in this "Modern Era".
The writing style was "different". Half Yankees Fanboys and half objective observers.
The 2018 best laid plans of the Yankees to power their way to the World Series resembled a derailed D Train.
The Brian Cashman portrayal was excellent. The Ge
Patrick Krause
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, sports
Well written and researched book about the 2018 New York Yankees, and how the front office is set up for continued success now and in the future. The book spent a little too much time on the details of the Yankees season on the field, and I wanted more information on how things are working behind the scenes. It would have been more interesting to read about how Cashman and company are working behind the scenes during the season, than another rehash of Sanchez and his lost season.

But, for basebal
Erik Redin
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I was going to give this book 4 stars because it is full of really interesting tidbits about the Yankees and how they're run under Brian Cashman, but the last chapter and epilogue ruined it a bit for me. The last chapter reflects on the Yankees' 2018 ALDS loss to the Red Sox, but in the entire chapter it's never mentioned how Alex Cora completely outmanaged Aaron Boone. Then in the epilogue, a final sitdown interview with Cashman to reflect on the season and postseason, Boone's name is not menti ...more
Daniel Nelson
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: baseball, sports
Good review of the inner workings of the Yankees organization. The reporters had full access to the staff and management for the 2018 season. Klapisch did an excellent job taking the content from interviews and the rhythm of the season and crafting a narrative that painted a picture of how the organization runs. Interesting details from parts of a professional organization you generally don't see. It's a light read and easy to get through.
Melissa Loucks
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up on a recent trip to New York City because of course I could not turn down a Yankee's book. When I first started it I thought I was going to hate it between the mixture of junk being talked about Jeter and that it was about Cashman who I am not a big fan of. I ended up laughing a couple of times while reading this book because he pegged Yankees fan extremely well. It was a good look at the world behind the players.
Bob Kuster
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This behind the scenes look at the Yankees 2018 season is well worth the read. Inside the Empire shows how the Yankees have built up their data analytics team and plowing money back into their operations. What they are doing in Tampa will make you open your eyes. A couple of shots were taken at Derek Jeter, Joe Girardi and Joe Torre. After reading this book, please keep Girardi away from the Mets if the Amazins change managers any time soon.
Trevor Sheppard
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I like this book somewhat, it was great seeing a side of the organization I hadn’t read much about but as a Yankees fan I think it didn’t talk much about pitching. It kept referring to our great lineup from 1-9, which I agree, is one of the best when healthy. But the Yankees have no formidable, consistent starters, and I think that’s what keeps them from deep runs in October
Timmy
May 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
It comes to my realization that I've read a lot of books about the Yankees. This was the worst of the lot. The writing style of this author was nothing short of abysmal. My advice, immediately cease and desist from taking literary recommendations of anybody who rated this 4 stars and dissociate in life with anybody who gave 5. Inside the Empire....One star.
Ross
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Enjoyable in depth interviews and tales from behind the scenes of the 2018 New York Yankees, a team which slightly underperformed expectations under their first year manager, in part due to several injuries and an amazing Boston Red Sox team. The book reads in some ways as a compilation of long sports columns or magazine articles, but it is worth the read if you are a baseball fan.
Zach
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book does a great job diving into the Yankees inner workings and has great stories from Cashman and the front office. A little too much time spent rehashing on the field results towards the end when could have continued to pull back the curtain on the clubhouse or front office but still a wonderful read.
Diane
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
You do not have to be a Yankee fan to enjoy this book. Excellent behind the scenes take of the Yanks and the overall organization. You will be impressed with their philosophy and the handling of all of their players - not just the ones in the majors.
Joe Brosnan
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was pitched as Hardknocks in Book Form and it delivers. A must-read for any Yankee fan, and a probably-should-read for any baseball fan and player. And maybe now that I've finished reading, the Yanks might finally start winning some games.
Nick Stubbs
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Essentially just a play by play of the Yankee 2018 season. Interesting prose but already lived through it so didn’t need the recap.

Interesting front office stuff but again, when it came to the Yankees, I expected more in the weeds stuff on players.
Rick Ferris
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very honest and sometimes not a positive look at the operations of the Yankees. If you are a Yankee fan that only likes reading nice things about the team, this book isn’t for you. But if you like an objective, and at times critical look at the 2018 Yankees I highly recommend this book.
Jordan
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love baseball and the Yankees so, yeah, I liked this book.
Mordy Neuman
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great for Yankees fans who want to know the workings behind the 2018 Yankees season.
Greville Waterman
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok but not as insightful as I hoped with too many match reports.

Some privileged access to the GM Cashman in particular which made for interesting reading.
Mike
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book on the behind the scenes story of the 2018 Yankees. Both authors did a great job with conducting interviews with the front office and players.
Sylvia Vandertulip
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well written and researched book. A must read for every Yankee fan
Jordan
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great read and wonderful insight into the inner workings of the Yankees. Just wish it didn't have to make me relive losing to the Sox in 2018.
Bill S.
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: baseball
Heavy on the praise for Cashman; heavy on the criticism of Torre and Jeter. Pretty much for die hard Yankee fans only.
Mike Dirksen