Start by marking “Chameleon Aura” as Want to Read:
Chameleon Aura

Chameleon Aura

Zimbabwean poetBilly Chapata provides a thought-provoking take on the universal experiences of love, pain, and what comes next through messages of empowerment. This collection of poetry and prose will justify heartache and inspire the fortitude to survive and prosper.

Chameleon Aura presents a harmonious blend of experience and advice through a chaptered series of prose and
Published January 22nd 2019 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Chameleon Aura, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chameleon Aura

Start your review of Chameleon Aura
Lou
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Almost all poetry is evocative in one way or another and much of what I have read relates to suffering, loss, hardship; basically negative emotional life events or feelings. There is a lesser amount that focuses on the elation, love, contentedness and positive elements of life; the only one I can think of offhand is Jason Reynolds's For Everyone. Chameleon Aura not only has a pretty awesome title and cover artwork, but it focuses on said negative aspects of life then goes on to provide ...more
Justine
Looks like I am coming in with an unpopular opinion with this one, I had seen that most loved the collection. And I tried, hence me finishing it…

Then and there, were pieces that liked, but I feel that most of the work give off the repetitive facade; of the meaning, they are conveying. That is good for that is the theme of the book. But certainly, there are words out there that still can be used.

To the good bits, I liked.

The intensity of respect and appreciation for women, I had read other works
Fanna
This is a really well put-together collection of poetry revolving around major themes like self-love, self-healing, self-satisfaction, and every important aspect of oneself. The collection has poems of varying length, ranging from strong one-lines to crisp double lines to an entire verse of strong vibes, as well as prose that is honest, raw, and compelling. The balance between the two styles of narration is perfect and almost every line is executed gracefully.

There is a lot of self-love
Cassandra
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have not been doing particularly well lately, so I really needed some poetry to just connect with and help me sort my head out, so I picked this up and I. Loved. It.

It was wonderful. So many books have to do with romance and letting go and whatever which is FINE and I like that too, HOWEVER.... I just needed some self-love stuff.

I totally got that here. It was just really well written and super empowering to read.

There is a poem called Red Herring, and another called Breaking Old Habits....
Reaperne
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

"The truth is in the energy, energy is in the truth"

This collection of poems is about love, sele-acceptance, healing and other aspects of yourself.
It is a very encouaging collection. It also varies in length, from short two liners to a lengthy paragraph.
Overall it's a great collection that I think many would love.
Nathaniel Darkish
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
This wasn't for me. There are some great images and lines scattered throughout the collection, and generally the messages are very positive and encouraging, but much of the poetry fell into a trap that is a pet peeve of mine in much of modern poetry: it told me, plainly, what message I should get from the poem. Usually as the last line. So many of the poems ended with things along the lines of (these aren't specific examples), "Believe in yourself," or "Just keep going," or the like. That sucks ...more
Meredith
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, netgalley
I really liked this one. It was encouraging, empowering, sort of like chicken noodle soup for the spirit. A reminder that we all contain inner strength and wisdom. I liked the message behind the words, it was an uplifting read.
Rebecca L.
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
“Chameleon Aura,” is a collection if free verse by Billy Chapata. The organization of the collection is very creative. The book is divided into sections and each section is named after a vibrant color of the rainbow. Finally, the collection ends with a message of transformation and renewal.

Chapata emphasizes the power of self love and self acceptance. I believe that this is a worthy goal. His work makes me think of butterflies, rainbows, and caterpillars emerging from cocoons. I recommend this
Polo Lonergan
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
There are some gems here. In general but I found myself skimming some poems, though, because they were so similar to others and it got tiring reading the same thing. This would have been better suited to a shorter, more heavily pruned collection since the gems fade into the background.
hajar al-kandari
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it
overall i enjoyed this. it was a light right, i just wish some parts weren't so repetitive - mostly towards the end. i skimmed through a few of the later pages because the writing looked too familiar, it started to annoy me.. especially since i liked the poems in the beginning/middle so much.
Katrina
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, e-book, poetry
3.5

Poetry is an odd bird sometimes. On occasion you do have to be in the right mood for it, admittedly, after giving the collection another try, the verses clicked with me.

Most of the poems are short but life affirming, without being over-flowery and very powerful in a memorable way. Really enjoyed this collection.

With thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the ARC.
Mikaylynn
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve just finished CHAMELEON Aura & wanted to drop a quick review. I appreciated this book because it is written from a male perspective about self love. A lot of his pieces are geared towards women but I love how he infused pieces to tell his own story about self love which is important.

I think this is a great recommendation for men to read and hopefully the words resonate. For me it allowed me to read someone else’s story & get another perspective to the puzzle we call relationships.
Justene
“There are older versions of you that only exist because other people give them oxygen, and you are not obliged to keep those versions alive to make other people happy.”

I think the author did beautifully in creating these poems about love and self-love, and he really dove deep into his perception of the topics. This book was definitely a change from what I usually read, and I really enjoyed it!

Some of the poems did seem to get a little repetitive. I know that only so much can be said about
Alisa
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This poetry collection had very important themes in it. I just found to be repetitive towards the end, so it really could have been a bit shorter. 4*.
Jeremy Mifsud
3/5 stars: I liked it

I’m going to approach this review from the perspective of the book’s value. I liked it. It’s uplifting and promotes self-love and awareness in a creative way. I wouldn’t necessarily call it poetry, but it doesn’t take away from the writing.

One thing I appreciate in Chapata’s book is that it is honest. It reflects his personal experiences and his growth throughout a multitude of relationships. The book is inundated with clichés about when you should let people go, but I found
Kristina Cabral
I have weaved poems because of this book. I have come back to writing, and come to love it more than I think it would destroy me. Thank you, Billy Chapata.

I have never met a book that I feel lazy to write about it--not because it is distasteful, that it is such a sweet book; a full-course meal, that I kind of doubt if there is anything else to put in this blank space. I feel fulfilled. I feel like all the colors in me have entwined--I have seen the sunset, the pink and purple horizons, the
Leslie
May 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
For me , this wasn’t really poetry, just a bunch of “advices”. He would repeat himself, but try to word it differently. Felt like poetry nowadays are like this book.
Jamie
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Read this review and more like it on The Last Page

If you’re in need of a pick me up, Chameleon Aura is the book for you. Filled to the brim with poetry and prose offering advice on relationships and self love. This book is a mix of personal experiences and advice for others on learning to love and accept yourself and moving away from toxic people. If you’re looking for more depth though, I’m beginning to think that the instapoet trend is not the place to find it.

“some will be intimidated by
Marilù
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you so much Andrews McMeel Publishing for sending me an early copy of this phenomenal book.
THIS BOOK, you guys! It was awesome! Filled with love and pain and healing and loving again. I swear, I bookmarked every single page!
I find that in every poetry book I've read, words do really have power, they can change us, they can make us understand things better, they make us think differently, they can heal us, they can make us stronger. In every collection of poetry I've read so far, I only
Asma
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
[4.5/5 Stars]

I am not really one to venture into poetry. I do acknowledge its beauty but I was never really interested in writing or reading poetry.

I've been following Billy Chapata on social media for a while now and I was always taken by how much his poetry resonated with me. He would write about topics that I felt strongly about and his way of wording things is absolutely beautiful.

The collection of poems in this book are divided into 5 sections: cerulean, amaranth, mikado, viridian, and
Francesca
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5/5
The difficulty in reviewing modern poetry is that to rate an anthology of a poet’s work is challenging as it is highly over saturated due to the proliferation of Instapoetry (think Rupi Kaur and R.H. Sin).

The idea is there -the concept of of humans being ever evolving like a chameleon is a analogy that ties the collection together with regards to self love and experiences with life and how one chooses to grow from it.
I also respect the fact that Chapata a male author of POC has definitely
Allyson Tyra
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
I keep trying to finish this book, and I can’t do it. I’m a huge fan of Rupi Kaur & similar poetry, but this I just cannot get through. There were a lot of lines and phrases that I liked a lot, but most of the book just seems like it’s repeating itself with different words. To me, it looses it’s meaning. I’m also not a fan of the “cut out anyone who doesn’t serve you,” message that I personally got from this book. I do agree that it’s important to be selfish & put yourself first, but ...more
Harry Brake
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mantras for your soul. This book of poetry by Billy Chapata turns you ab out face and allows you, makes you, confront yourself and forces you to recognize your value as an individual. From approaching topics on dealing with a world of expectations from others and ignoring your own value, becoming lost in a world of technology and losing your self as an individual, to simply losing the value of celebrating what you bring to the table as an individual, this is a necessary piece for cleansing of ...more
Samantha Pearl
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
To be honest, I am not a fan of micro poetry - and I am not a fan of micro-ideas published as poems. This book is very typical and similar to the writings of Sin and Rupi Kaur where short ideas are presented without punctuation and labeled as poetry. At least Chapata’s ideas are wholesome (albeit repetitive) and semi-inspiring to a person in need of healing. In the end I agree with the messages of self love, and believe the words would look nice on instagram/an encouragement board. I just hate ...more
Amelia
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
I have never turned on a book so fast.

I received a copy of this from NetGalley. Reading digitally could be why I didn't realize the author was a man at first. I just assumed the author was a lesbian so I was reading it from that perspective. Once I realized that the author was a man, the meaning behind all of it changed.

"You'll never find me where my energy isn't appreciated. You'll never find me planting my roots in places that don't support my growth"

"Imagine: a love that we don't have to
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This collection talks about healing, loving and encouragement.

I can feel the connection.
The lines are beautiful and genuine.
I felt calm and at peace while reading this one and this book is
For those broken and lonely.
For those who are trying their best.
For those who cannot trust again.
For those who are apprehensive to love again.
For those who are alive but not living.
For those who have been hurt.
For those who have lost hope.

But I cannot help feeling some lines are not new at all.
I find the same
Raven Terry
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can NOT thank NetGalley enough for proving this ARC/Galley! And I'm not just saying that because it was free, or because I signed up for the service. I'm saying this because this book literally changed by life. I am ordering a copy for our library as soon as I get into work tomorrow. I will be ordering a copy for myself in the morning. Probably going to send one out to my mum and my sister too. It's that good. I feel like an idiot for waiting so long to do this review, to absorb this book. You ...more
lifeisahiddenriddle
I won't say that I loved every poem in this book, but I DID enjoy reading this. Overall with this book, I felt a connection with some of lines or sections almost as if they were thoughts that straight from my brain and they were published in ink pages. It was surreal to find myself engaged with a poetry book since I have in the past never cared for them.

It was just nice. Overwhelming in others. But all I can say is that I will definitely re-read this. I am so GLAD that I bought this back in
Christina
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
So I just flew through this entire collection in a few short hours. I have such mixed feelings right now, and I’ll probably need a lot of time to reflect on the poems. The poems in the first two chapters had me so moved, I was almost in tears. Each and every one of them spoke to me in a way that has never happened before with poetry. There was such a lightness, filled with hope and love, surrounding every poem. But towards the end of the collection, the poems became very repetitive and held ...more
Melanie
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
My fave passage, pg. 126

Long distance.
Some of us are in a long distance relationship with ourselves and we dont know it. We give and give and give, pouring energy outward, packing all of our belongings, resting in others hearts, while abandoning home. If your heart could speak, would it shed tears of happiness or tears of pain? Would it speak of its fullness or reveal secrets of neglect? Dont look to redecorate others hearts while your soul is in need of spring cleaning. You are deserving of the

• She Just Wants to Forget
  • Inward
  • Sparks of Phoenix
  • When the World Didn't End
  • The Truth About Magic
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
Billy Chapata is a Zimbabwean writer, author, and creative based in Atlanta, Georgia. Billy's work aims to touch on the concepts of love, healing, connections, and growth, through poetry, storytelling, and narrative. Writing came into his life as a means of sustenance, self-love, and empowerment: Billy writes to heal, he writes to grow, he writes to survive. His poetically infused words, memorable ...more
“there are older versions of you that only exist because other people give them oxygen, and you are not obliged to keep those versions alive to make other people happy.” 7 likes