Start by marking “Little Birds” as Want to Read:

Published 2018

To ask other readers questions about Little Birds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Birds

Megan Tennant
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indiecember
I've honestly never picked up a short story before, let alone an anthology. As a writer of very large books, I've always struggled to grasp how a writer could fit any sort of plot arc into something so small. Hannah surprised me. Each story had a flow, a rise, and a fall, a message. And the way the stories were organized in the anthology had clear meaning and planning put into it which I really appreciated.

If I had to choose a favorite story, I'd say it was Wolverine Frogs. That one hit me HARD.
Jack Stark
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I wouldn’t say these are bad stories, but I only found one in the collection that I enjoyed. They are technically proficient, but most of the stories didn’t reflect any experiences I’ve had and therefore I struggled to get invested in them. Some stories are very short, and could have done with being a little longer to spend a bit more time developing the message they were trying to give. A couple stories also felt like they were more of an exercise piece rather than trying to say anything of sub ...more
Garrison Kelly
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
In her debut book, Hannah Lee Kidder’s stories are short, sweet, and to the point, but they pack the most powerful punches in their tiny spaces. Even stories that are only a sentence long are capable of tugging at the reader’s heartstrings with oftentimes brutal force. The subjects she touches on include rape, suicide, breakups, and elderly dementia to name a few. These topics aren’t there just to shock the reader; they have a purpose beyond that. You will be so in love with this book that you’l ...more
Jill Keller
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Back in college, I loved to write and read short stories. I had a passion for them. And then suddenly...I didn't. They were replaced by "I only want to read novels. Not novellas, not shorts, but full-length novels." I forgot why I ever loved them in the first place.
Little Birds grabbed me from the very first story, Dear Emma, and dragged me back to that time where I absolutely loved short stories. The journey through this book awoke that passion in me again and I found myself not being able to s
Jess Kinslow
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually give five star ratings unless a book touched me in a profound way. This collection of short stories was amazing and deserving of every single one of those stars. From the moment I read the first line of the first story to reading the last line, I was hooked. Every story had it's own way of making you think, no matter the length of the work, which is exactly what I strive to find when reading any book. I found myself re-reading some of the stories even before moving on to the next ...more
DeAnn Pohlman
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This collection of short stories seriously sucks you in. With relatable characters and real-life situations, Hannah hits on the heavy stuff in an almost poetic fashion. I honestly had goosebumps while reading this. It's a quick read and kind of a tear-jerker. I can't wait to read more of her work!
Casey Gibson
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This collection of short stories is an introspective look at relationships - romantic, platonic, familial - and how once strong bonds can change, both over time and in an instant. I loved the melancholy emotion that seemed to permeate each story, causing me to look back at my own relationships and consider. If you've ever lost anybody, then this collection of short stories will resonate and stay with you.
Chasmin
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was lunch

I came across this book after discovering her YouTube channel, in which she promoted her it in some of her videos, as she should. I write short stories myself, and am always excited to find collections that are easily digestible. Little Birds definitely was that, as I consumed this book of shorties in one sitting — basically, almost, kinda... All in all, I really enjoyed the stories in Little Birds, especially when there’s simplicity and cadence throughout, even when talking a
Alexandria Prosperie
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pulling you in from the first page, Hannah Lee Kidder writes with such purpose you can’t help but be enthralled. Each story has a new gripping character who highlights the raw—sometimes ugly—side of humanity. She writes with a sincerity that’s unable to be replicated, and though the stories are short, the impact they have on the reader with be long-lived.
Krystal Dean
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is like a roller coaster ride in an abandoned park at night: sharp turns you don't see coming, steep climbs and breathtaking drops with no guarantee that the tracks continue on, and a large possibility it's gonna hurt a bit. It's raw and real and relatable in every sentence, with exceptional description and dialogue. I would not hesitate to get back in line for this ride.
Sarah Calaway
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hannah is amazing at writing short pieces that leaving emotions lingering. Each piece in this collection packs a unique punch, and I didn’t want to stop reading. Her writing style is not only very addicting, but it’s very powerful. It’s a pretty quick read that you won’t regret.
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I said "oof" outloud probably 3 or 4 times reading this. This was my first proper dip into very short fiction as an adult reader, and it's left me wanting more. Each story felt less like I was reading and more like someone I know was telling their own story, so that was pretty cool to experience.
Catherine Streeter
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hannah is so good at writing short stories that pack a reaaaal good emotional punch. Also I can never quite guess where her stories are headed which is my favorite. Anyway this book will make you feel a lot of things and it’s such a quick, easy read—I HIGHLY recommend it.
Dahlia Burroughs
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to come!
Emma
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a huge short story person. I like exposition, chapters full of backstory, multiple plot lines all co-mingling in a giant pot of plot spaghetti. I like certain endings, perfect packages of story all wrapped up neatly. I like epilogues that go on for pages and pages. These are not things you normally get with short stories, but this book is full of such wonderful little slices of life that I couldn't help but love it. Wolverine Frogs was probably my favorite story because it's just a bit t ...more
Krista
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my first anthology read, and I gotta say I really liked the short story format! For someone with limited time (such as I) or someone who wants a break from the norm, small chunks of different stories is a nice choice.

Some stories had more of an impact than others. The shorter stories at the beginning of the collection did a better job of eliciting an emotional response in me than the longer stories. Some of the stories seemed to have little to no point to them and fell flat. It was a mi
Unwanted_Book _Club
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Usually I'm not big on short stories but these impressed me. The writing style was so descriptive yet simplistic. The characters known for only a short while meant to create an impact did just that. Simple things that are normally overlooked were meant to draw attention not just for worldbuilding but to relate to the character's situation and psyche. Something as simple as an empty and dark room to point out how forlorn they feel. Or wolverine frog facts intermittent in revealing how animalistic ...more
Connie
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How good is Little Birds? I’m writing this review from an actual, factual computer. That’s how good it is. That I, a person who has never written a book review and is generally lazy enough to just click “5 Stars” when prompted by Kindle on my phone, am passionate enough about it to not only write out a full review, but to bust out my whole computer (keyboard and all) for just such an occasion.

The cover is cute, but on page one you discover that the collection is anything but. Hannah writes with
Steven Partridge
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. That being said, I bought a copy anyway, because I liked it that much.

Little birds is an anthology; a collection of short stories, poems, and proverbs. I follow the author on YouTube, which is how I originally found out it was a thing. I had applied for an ARC, and after reading the first few pages, I realized this was not my usual read at all. It's a contemporary slice-of-life sort of book, with the premier feature being very
Megan
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"The only world you've seen is between the cracks of your parents' fingers."

I had no idea what to expect from Little Birds but I knew I enjoyed Hannah as a human so I had to give it a shot.

Let me tell you: Hannah writing does not make you laugh as much as Hannah talking.

Hoo boy.

There was a lot of emotion packed into these little birds stories and I was not disappointed. I expected to devour the whole thing the night of release but instead I ended up trying to savour each story on its own once
A.P. Mobley
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not usually one for contemporary works, nor am I usually one who reads short stories/short story collections. So believe me when I say that even if this isn't usually your jam, it's still definitely worth picking up.

It's clear that there was a lot of thought put into the placement of each story, and in their pictures, which are beautiful. Each story left me feeling in a way that's hard to explain. It was almost like I was being taken back in time to many of the times I felt similarly/had si
Anna Catalano
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This collection is expertly crafted and full of unique, well-placed stories. Hannah is an amazing storyteller, and a master at constructing rich and memorable turns of phrase and descriptions, as well as effortlessly showing details about a character's personality in a short amount of time and in a very organic way. The copy on every single page is deliciously clean—every word seems impeccably chosen to the greatest effect.

Personal favorites: "He Wrote Me a Song" hit me like a freaking bus, "Ig
Carla D'Alessandro
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to be sent an advanced copy of this book. I already appreciate Hannah's writing, and also the skill required to weave an interesting and thought-provoking message into a short story.
With all this in mind, I still did not anticipate the depth of emotion, maturity and diversity weaved into the contents of this book.

Hannah uses texture, sound and motion very well to describe a scene. She has a distinct writing style, however if you told me that a different person wrote each sto
Jeff
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A precisely crafted collection of short stories that shouldn't be missed.

Apologies in advance to both the author and Queen (as I recently saw the Bohemian Rhapsody film) but the writing here is fastidious and precise. The author conveys so much with an economic use of her vocabulary, and yet it doesn't feel minimalistic at all, nor like the sparse, brusqueness of someone like Hemingway. It's her own voice and it rings like a bell through these small, exquisite offerings.

Don't pass this up, and,
Rosie Woodward
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
4.5
I was sent a copy of this in exchange for an honest review.
Little Birds is a brilliant collection of short stories- each unique and surprising in its' own right, but with a series of running themes and tones that give the whole collection coherency. My favourite aspect of this was the way the characters were written to surprise the reader- as if each story was written as a study of what human beings can be or do under different circumstances- either extenuating or typical. Usually I find sho
Sam Dowd
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm not much of a short story person. The last book I read before Little Birds was 1000 pages long. But the way Kidder writes packs the punch of a long novel into a few pages of powerful writing. I found myself sitting and thinking after multiple of her stories the same way I would after finishing a good novel I'd spent weeks reading. Little Birds will make you pause and reflect, and you'll leave with new perspectives on the lives of those around you.
Alyssa Hazel
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a huge fan of contemporary fiction (because why not dragons?) but I sat down and read Kidder's collection in one sitting. There was a down to earth, but still flowing nature to the prose. My favorite of the collection was "Cane Sprouts" which was relatable and bittersweet. I'd recommend this book to fans of contemporary fiction. I am looking forward to Kidder's next project.
Jeffrey Valykeo
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Little Birds

I can definitely see why Hannah has won awards for her writing. I’m no literary expert, but when you start a book and then forget that you’re reading, it’s probably safe to say it’s pretty good.

Most of the stories are short, but poignant. The writing is very, very good and I look forward to reading more.
Soph
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I almost never cry when I'm reading a book. This book nearly made me cry not because it was sad, which it was, but because it was beautiful, and it touched me on an emotional level. The writing, the stories, the experiences and how they were portrayed were heartbreakingly real and uncomfortably close. It's lovely and sad, and more real than most books I've read.
Rebecca
A quick, easy read, however most of the stories are easily forgettable and seem to rely on shock value. There's nothing spectacular about the writing, but it does the job it's supposed to do, which is tell stories. I like the varying lengths of the short stories, some being a couple pages, and others being merely a sentence. Not an altogether unpleasant collection though.