Start by marking “Toffee” as Want to Read:
Toffee

Toffee

The astonishing new novel from the incomparable, multi-award-winning and Laureate na nÓg Sarah Crossan.

I am not who I say I am,
and Marla isn't who she thinks she is.

I am a girl trying to forget.
She is a woman trying to remember.

Allison has run away from home and with nowhere to live finds herself hiding out in the shed of what she thinks is an abandoned house. But the
Published May 2nd 2019 by Bloomsbury YA (first published March 6th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Toffee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toffee

Lou
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such an original book and due to that, it was right up my street. It's a unique read which uses a poetic format and structure to tell the profoundly moving story of Allison and Marla whose paths cross inexplicably and they grow to become close despite the substantial age gap between them. Two different generations finding comfort in one another was heart-warming and as the story highlights issues both generations go experience it was topical, thought-provoking and intensely compelling. ...more
Bridget
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a start. So keen to read the rest of the book. Will definitely buy it for my students. I’ll buy anything by Sarah Crossan and I have a boys school library, she is always a hit. Can’t wait to read the whole book.
Kristina
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Обожавам книгите на Сара, защото са написани като бял стих и цялата история звучи като една огромна и разчувстваща поема! Тази книга също не беше изключение. Сюжетът ни запознава с момиче, което бяга от баща й, който я малтретира, и възрастна жена, която е забравила почти всичко и е забравена от почти всеки.
Контрастът между двете героини беше много интересен, а следенето на техните борби много интересно!
Gabriela Pop
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
CW: abusive parent,domestic violence,dementia (is dementia a CW???)
This was another fabulous read from Sarah Crossan! I'd previously read her 'The Weight of Water' and thoroughly enjoyed that one. On top of that,I'd also heard countless great things about this new release from her,so the bar had set itself quite high without my intention of that happening. Alas, no only were my expectations reached, but it would actually be fair to say that they were exceeded.
It is truly a feat to manage to writ
Jane Kelsey
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: 5-stars
Thank you Bloomsbury for gifting me this copy! Opinions my own, as always!

Alison ran away from home and takes shelter in the shed of an abandoned house, but the house isn’t empty. In this house is where Marla lives, and elderly woman suffering with dementia and then they meet she confuses Alison with her friend Toffee. So Alison becomes Toffee, but who is Alison anymore…?

The only way I can describe Toffee is to compare it with a piece of classical music, the pacing slowly building up to a cresce
Kayleigh
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Toffee is a beautifully written book and the fact that it’s written in verse makes it even more captivating.
The poetry style of this book doesn’t at all take away from the story.
Allison and Marla meet through the most unusual of circumstances and somehow become incredibly close despite the huge difference in age.
It’s an incredibly heartwarming read about two lonely, isolated people who somehow find friendship and comfort in each other and I can’t recommend this book enough.

Lily
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, english
Esta es la Sarah Crossan de la que yo me enamoré cuando leí One.
Me han faltado algunas cosillas menores para que la lectura fuera redonda, pero aun así ha sido maravillosa.
La trama además ha barrido mucho para casa, y ha sido un tanto doloroso, que es lo que busco cuando leo a esta mujer. Que duela.
WyrmbergSabrina
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My boss needs to stop giving me books that make me cry.
Abuse and dementia wrap up together to tell a story about who we are.
Told through free form poetry again, this is rather beautiful.
Medb
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it! Beautiful book and stunning writing as all of Sarah’s writing it. 5/5 stars
Catherine Doyle
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely gorgeous!
Nia Talbot
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always Sarah Crossan has combined her verse style with hard hitting themes (of abuse, dementia and finding ones self) to create an engaging read that you just don’t want to finish. The story is such that you are left wanting more - what happened to them next? A quick read and a thoroughly immersing one.
S
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Verse and great writing so a very quick read. Lovely heart warming tale of friendship. Themes of dementia, and strong emotional and physical abuse
Darcy Barzan
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. i own a lot of Sarah Crossan books but this it the first book of hers that I've read that is written in verse (Pretty sure the Breathe duology is the only one not written in verse p.s that's the ones I've read)
I loved Breathe so much but i was always weary of reading one of her other books, but I'm so glad i did because this is such a beautiful story. it was a quick read and i loved every second of it.
The characters in this book are amazing. I love Marla and 'Toffee'
Jean Kirby
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a book about the relationships between a young girl who runs away from home and from her violent father, and an older woman who has dementia. It is beautifully told and written in verse so it doesn't take long to read. During the book Alison, or "Toffee", gets stronger and more able to stand up for herself. The book covers topics of bullying, dementia, physical and emotional abuse and caring.
My only complaint is that I found the beginning very confusing as it is unclear which character
Wsclai
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another good book from Crossan. She really is an expert in writing in verses that capture the very essence of characters’ feeling and inner thoughts. This time, the verses sound even more poetic with the occasional rhymes and the shape poem of a Christmas tree is really some thing and it makes me smile.

I like that the book ends with a glimpse of hope, despite all of the sadness that comes before. Crossan did a wonderful job in portraying the immense loneliness of a teenage girl and an old woman
Ellie (bookmadbarlow)
All the stars yet again for this amazing author. I cannot get enough of her books. This one tells the tale of Martha an older lady with dementia and Allison a teenage runaway. This book packs a punch for short book written in free verse as it also manages to cover bullying, theft and domestic abuse.
This was amusing and sad, heart breaking and hopeful, and I urge everyone to go out and read this book.
Thank you to the publisher who were lovely and gifted me a copy of this book.
Kathleen
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wat een prachtig boek. Het combineert een aantal thema's die niet zo evident zijn (dementie, eenzaamheid bij ouderen, misbruik,...), maar Crossan weet hoe ze het evenwicht moet bewaren tussen zwaar en hartverwarmend. Opnieuw was ik helemaal fan van de free verse stijl die ze gebruikt en hoe je daardoor zelf een aantal elementen in het verhaal moet invullen. Het blijft zo'n krachtige manier van verhalen vertellen.
Dominika Mazur
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: may-2019-done
Such a heartbreaking yet beautiful story about two people who are utterly alone in this world. The imperfections of it are pointed out in harsh light and acknowledge in a spectacular way. I found this book to be the sweetest gift I could have ever received as it reminds me of my own relationship with a certain grandmother who I love dearly. Allison is complicated and I want everyone to get to know her.
Emmanuel
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
More of SC’s creative prose skills on display here; each chapter is a small vignette with clever word spacing to give the words a poetic punch. I didn’t care much for the story compared to her other novels, though. Domestic violence, or domestic anything isn’t really what I look for in fiction.
Dawn Woods
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Absolutely loved this proof. Her best yet. The relationship between the teenage Allison and elderly lady Marla is so touching as Allison treats Marla with respect, which other adults fail to do. Beautiful.
Rebecca Stonehill
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If I could give this book ten stars, I honestly would. What a raw, beautifully-drawn portrait of two people from utterly different worlds drawn together under extraordinary circumstances. I'm off to read the rest of Sarah Crossan's books now! Simply stunning.
Janika Puolitaival
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Poignant, emotional story about surviving. Surviving with scars. Trying to understand abusive father,at the same trying to grow towards adulthood. Losing your own memory because of age, confusion, mental anguish of selfish children. Is it possible to hope again? 3
Debbie
4,5.
I loved this so much♥
MaryBrigid Turner
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another stunning read. It didn't make me cry as One did, but it still took me on an awesome emotional roller coaster of a ride.
SissiReads
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finished Toffee last night and can I just say what a stunning piece of writing and what a profoundly moving story! My heart! Full review to come on the 10th as part of the blog tour! ...more
Pippa
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything will be fine again. It will.
Tricia
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sarah Crossan does it again with a verse novel to warm your heart - though not without it's tears too.
joanna wiggans
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story , took a while to get used to the layout but then loved it
Mrs M
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hearbreakingly brilliant. Yet another exceptional book from Sarah Crossan.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sarah Crossan is Irish. She graduated with a degree in Philosophy and Literature before training as an English and Drama teacher at Cambridge University and worked to promote creative writing in schools before leaving teaching to write full time.

She completed her Masters in Creative Writing at the University of Warwick in 2003 and in 2010 received an Edward Albee Fellowship for writing.

She curren