Start by marking “Toffee” as Want to Read:
Toffee

Toffee

The astonishing new novel from the incomparable, multi-award-winning and Laureate, Sarah Crossan.

I am not who I say I am,
and Marla isn't who she thinks she is.

I am a girl trying to forget.
She is a woman trying to remember.

Allison has run away from home, and with nowhere to live, finds herself hiding out in the shed of what she thinks is an abandoned house. But the hous
Published May 2nd 2019 by Bloomsbury YA (first published March 6th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Toffee, please sign up.
Nemesia This is actually the French translation... But still a beautiful work.

Start your review of Toffee
Kai
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
"I liked the idea of being
sweet and hard,
a girl with a name for people
to chew on.
A girl who could break teeth."

Toffee is a great one. It's my second Sarah Crossan novel and even though it was slightly less perfect than Moonrise, I loved it a little more. First of all, I love the feeling of flying through a book and because this is written in verse, you can read it in no time. It feels simplistic and meaningful at once. Often you don't need many words to express a feeling. The emotions will hit y
C.G. Drews
I've read a few Crossan novels, but I Think this is my favourite. Because e m o t i o n s alright?! It's about hurt people and how abuse makes you feel so small, and I have such a soft spot in my heart for found-family. I just ached for Allison the whole time and her arc. It was like the whole book she was rigid with anxiety and then she got to thaw, she got to take a breath, and I am just like 😫💛

It's written in verse! Which means it's quite a quick read. And oftentimes I struggle with verse bo
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
[trigger warnings are listed at the bottom of this review and may contain spoilers]

★★★★

this was so sadddddd :( but also kinda hopeful? but wow, this definitely tugged at my heartstrings!

trigger warnings: loss of a parent (in the past), domestic abuse and violence, dementia, homelessness, sexual harassment from a random creepy dude, drugs and alcohol, shitty friends, being attacked by a dog, mention of dog being put down, animal death (wild bird and pet goldfish).

Lou
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such an original book and due to that, it was right up my street. It's a unique read which uses a poetic format and structure to tell the profoundly moving story of Allison and Marla whose paths cross inexplicably and they grow to become close despite the substantial age gap between them. Two different generations finding comfort in one another was heart-warming and as the story highlights issues both generations go experience it was topical, thought-provoking and intensely compelling. ...more
Alice (MTB/Alice Tied The Bookish Knot)
A powerful novel in verse that really made me think. I sat back and did nothing but contemplate just how difficult can be sometimes and reading Toffee made me seriously realise it!

A young girl called Allison has left her toxic home environment and finds herself a runaway, crossing paths with an elderly lady who has dementia and staying in her home to keep her company. The rest of the lady's family doesn't know about Allison's existence. All she has ever wanted to be is happy. The verse format ma
El
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wasn’t going to read this book but then I saw it in the library & thought ‘why not?’
*story of my life*

Honestly, how could I ever have even considered not reading a Sarah Crossan?!
I just love the way she writes & not just the tone but the format!

And she always makes me cry - which is a good thing in these cases! 😭

But so, so, so sweet & it’s crazy how attached you get to the characters when you can read the book pretty quick.

Anyway, I’m off to follow Sarah Crossan because I hadn’t before now -
Emma
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5/5 Stars

This book tackles some serious issues using a poetic formal, the one I got to know and expect from Sarah Crossan's books.

The main character, Allison, has just escaped an abusive home and finds herself in a city far away from her own and with nowhere to go. This is until she realizes that Marla, an old lady with dementia, lives alone. The two of them start living together and develop a wonderful friendship by giving each other what they desperately need: attention and care. It was tru
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bloomsbury
Allison Daniels is searching for a place to stay, discovering what she believes is a vacant outbuilding on an abandoned property to rest her weary body. Compelled to find her former stepmother and the only person who understands the abusive and adverse environment inflicted upon Allison, her meagre possessions are stolen and determined not to return to her abusive father, seeks shelter on the dilapidated property.

Allison is a family violence survivor, her father a neglectful and abusive man sinc
MariaWitBook
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful beautiful way of storytelling! This will be definitely one of my favourite books ever! Would love to see a illustrated edition. Thank you for such a beautiful book.
BookNightOwl
Thank you Bloomsbury YA and Netgalley for providing an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Allison has never known her real mom but she feels like her mom did love her since she carried her for 9 months. Allison's father on the other hand physically and mentally abuses her and one day she runs away and meets Marla. Marla has dementia and finds Allison hiding in her shed and mistakes her for somebody named Toffee. As this story progresses Allison realizes that Marla needs her as muc
Brooklyn Tayla
I picked this up on a whim when I was at my local Dymocks bookstore, after seeing it float around on bookstagram and being intrigued by the Sypnosis! Aside from that, though, I didn’t know what to expect!
What I didn’t imagine was how moved I would be by this book! It was so addictive, I couldn’t put it down! I found the unique way that Sarah Crossan composed this book was so eloquent and raw, I just found myself being so affected!
The writing was just so lyrical and powerful, I couldn’t not feel
Kayleigh
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Toffee is a beautifully written book and the fact that it’s written in verse makes it even more captivating.
The poetry style of this book doesn’t at all take away from the story.
Allison and Marla meet through the most unusual of circumstances and somehow become incredibly close despite the huge difference in age.
It’s an incredibly heartwarming read about two lonely, isolated people who somehow find friendship and comfort in each other and I can’t recommend this book enough.

Marie the Librarian
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think Sarah might be one of my fave authors. The way she writes, the subjects, the characters, the emotions, my poor heart cant take it and I love it. Her prose packs such a punch.
Bridget
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a start. So keen to read the rest of the book. Will definitely buy it for my students. I’ll buy anything by Sarah Crossan and I have a boys school library, she is always a hit. Can’t wait to read the whole book.
Shannon
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had me feeling all kinds of emotions!
Inna
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great story from Crossan. Touching, sad, hopeful and beautiful, I can't believe how she can express so much with so little words.
Izzy
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2020
This book is absolutely beautiful and I'm so sad that it's over. I could have read on for ages to be honest. It was the type of book that was so easy to read and so well written.
I love how Sarah's books are written in verse, it makes everything so easy to read, so clear and visible.
The characters are amazing in Toffee
This is my second book by Sarah Crossan and I have to say that I am in love with her work.

I would definitely recommend, it is so beautifully written.
Elvina Zafril
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A story about a girl, Allison who ran away from home. She takes shelter in an abandoned house and apparently there’s someone staying in that house. She met Marla who mistakenly thought that Allison was her friend, Toffee. Allison tries to tell Marla her name, but Marla switches it back to Toffee.

Touches on very critical issues, Toffee talks about domestic abuse, loneliness, abusive parents and dementia. It was beautifully written. The thing that makes this book even more captivating is it was wr
Em
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I liked the idea of being
sweet and hard,
a girl with a name for people
to chew on.
A girl who could break teeth."

Allison Daniels has run away from home. Hoping to find the almost-stepmother who abandoned her, she instead finds herself sleeping in someone's shed. That someone is Marla, an old woman struggling with dementia, who thinks Allison is someone from her past named Toffee. With nowhere else to go, Allison moves in with Marla though she must still hide her existence from Marla's family a
Emma L.
*** This review could contain some spoilers ***

Rating: 🌟🌟🌟 (3/5 stars).

I have always had some interest in reading this book but somehow I never added it to my Goodreads tbr and I also managed to never actually pick it up. So of course one random day I had to decide to read this book and so I did. And I have to say that was one freaking smart choice since I really liked the book and here´s why:

I truly did think this was a beautiful read. It dealt with the topic of dementia so wonderfully and r
Lisa (the.running.bookworm)
When Allison runs away from home she doesn’t expect to befriend pensioner Marla, but this unusual relationship might be just what they both need right now.
Written in prose, this book is nothing like I have ever picked up before.
It is such a sweet and lovely story. The development of the relationship between Allison and Marla is just beautifully moving. The writing style, although it took a little getting used to, is so clever and works so well.
I will certainly pick up another book by Crossan.
bookreaderinluv
damn i just found this book and since i loooved one by the same author... well i guess my tbr is growing!!
MissStan
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful read! This is sad, heartwarming and in the end hopeful. Another of Sarah Crossan’s books written in verse, this is beautifully written. So many lovely descriptive lines, and heart wrenching lines that knock the stuffing out of you. I love how Allison’s story is revealed bit by bit. I couldn’t put it down and read it in one sitting. A must read!
Clair Sharpe
I have been a huge fan of Sarah Crossan’s young adult books since 2017, when I went along to a Waterstones event with a friend to hear her talk with Brian Conaghan about how they wrote We Come Apart together. I read the wonderful One just before the event and I was blown away. Written for older teenagers, her work is mostly written in verse, which make her books perfect for reluctant readers as they are easily accessible, yet write about quite hard hitting subjects.
Toffee came out when I had got
Thebooksofwonder
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-have
When I went to the bookstore the first book I saw was this one. I've seen this book a few times on bookstagram but I knew nothing about it and I didn't know what to expect. I bought it because it sounded very interesting.

Oh my God, this book is amazing! The way this is writing is so unique and the writing was so powerful. Allison went through a lot with her dad and the story jumps back and forth to the present and past. Mary is someone who forgets a lot and thinks that Allison is an old friend
Mehsi
A wonderful and special book about abuse, dementia, bad friendship, finding a home, and more. It was beautifully written.

Poetry still isn't entirely my thing, but I just can't resist a book like this one. I know I loved this author's other book, One, so I was eager to get this one started.

I wasn't always a fan of the MC, like how she just got into the house and then how she kept sneaking around and making use of Marla's dementia as I would call it. I get it, she is desperate, afraid, alone, bu
Greenglasses
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: verse
This book was good. It started off as a 2 or 3 stars but it got better as it went along and I rated it a 4 stars because I think it has some good messages.
Samantha
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
4.5/5 stars!!
Jude
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With "Toffee", Sarah Crossan has cemented her position as one of my favourite YA authors, this is a FABULOUS book!! It's written in verse form and contains grief, abuse, and dementia along with kindness and joy. Once you start reading it, it's almost impossible to put down. I can already see that it's going to be amongst my best books of 2019 and I would highly recommend reading it.
Femke
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-read
She did it again, I’m a fucking emotional wreck 😢.
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Young Adult, Dementia, Coffee, 2019. [s] 5 33 Jun 21, 2019 08:48PM

• Lark
  • Rose, Interrupted
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • Evernight
  • Gruwelijk Spel
  • The Wickerlight (The Wren Hunt, #2)
Sarah Crossan is Irish. She graduated with a degree in Philosophy and Literature before training as an English and Drama teacher at Cambridge University and worked to promote creative writing in schools before leaving teaching to write full time.

She completed her Masters in Creative Writing at the University of Warwick in 2003 and in 2010 received an Edward Albee Fellowship for writing.

She curren