Start by marking “Awâsis and the World-Famous Bannock” as Want to Read:
Awâsis and the World-Famous Bannock

Awâsis and the World-Famous Bannock

This whimsical story celebrates the revitalization of Cree dialects and traditional methods of storytelling.

During an unfortunate mishap, young Awâsis loses Kôhkum’s freshly baked world-famous bannock. Not knowing what to do, Awâsis seeks out a variety of other-than-human relatives willing to help. What adventures are in store for Awâsis?

The book includes a pronunciation
Published March 1st 2019 by HighWater Press

To ask other readers questions about Awâsis and the World-Famous Bannock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awâsis and the World-Famous Bannock

Start your review of Awâsis and the World-Famous Bannock
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
What looks like it might be a take on Little Red Riding Hood, turns into a story of losing Bannock in the woods, and being helped to find all the ingredients by the local wildlife, so that although she can't find what was lost, she can make more of it.

Cree words are sprinkled throughout, but used in context, and with the pictures, you can figure out that sisip is a duck and that siwinikan is sugar.

And at the back of the book is a Cree to English translation as well as pronunciation guide.

Bean
Highly recommended! This #OwnVoices picture book, written in Cree and English, is outstanding. When Awâsis is sent to deliver her grandmother's delicious bannock to a relative's home, she accidentally drops the prized food as she skips across a bridge. Awâsis turns to animals in the forest for help: do they know where she can find some bannock? None of the creatures know, but each offers a bannock ingredient to help Awâsis along her way. Author Dallas Hunt's (Swan River First Nation) creative ...more
Abigail
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Children's Books with a Cree Cultural & Linguistic Background
When Awâsis, meaning "child" in Cree, is sent to deliver some of her Kôhkum's (grandmother's) world-famous bannock to a relative, the excited young girl ends up losing it over the side of a bridge. Dismayed at this turns of events, she appeals to a series of woodland animals for help, being given most of the ingredients necessary for bannock in return. Making her way home again, Awâsis and her Kôhkum makes another batch of pahkwesikan (bannock) together...

A sweet story about a young girl, her
Danielle
I really haven't read many (if any) books featuring Native Americans, so I found this on a recommended list. Lots of Cree words are used (and defined in the back), but you can still get the basic idea not knowing them. This is a really cute story about family and community and culture, and I learned a lot that I hadn't known before.
Effie
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a sweet story and a great introduction to Cree words with a glossary and pronunciation guide in the back.
Jessie
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was just the loveliest little book about being a good helper and about family love. My Cree kiddos loved the Cree in the book, and the bannock was superb!!! I will buy this one absolutely.
Chinook
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kait (4) liked guessing which ingredient each animal was giving and she loved making the bannock at the end. She also related to spilling things because of running along. I enjoyed learning to pronounce all the new words as I read to her. The illustrations are really cute.
I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

As a conscientious book lover, one of the first things before requesting this title was to do a search regarding the author to ensure that this is an Own Voices title; it is not only Own Voices written, it is also Own Voices illustrated, and that is one of the top reasons I believe that this book would make a great addition to any collection, and I strongly encourage Canadian librarians to purchase this book for their
Tasha
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
When Awâsis accidentally loses her grandmother’s world-famous bannock as she is taking them to a relative, she starts to cry. When a duck hears her crying, the duck offers to help and gives her some tohtosapopimehkan or butter. A rabbit in the woods offers her some flour or askipahkwesikan. As Awâsis walks on, more animals offer her ingredients to make the bannock again. Readers will see a bear lingering nearby and wonder about what he is up to. When Awâsis returns home to her grandmother, she ...more
Aaron
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
When this book first started, I knew it would have some Cree words in it, and the use of the language was what drew me to it. Also, I really like bannock.
It looked like it was going to be a Red Riding Hood parody at first, but once the bannock was misplaced it became a story about a little girl who is supported by the new friends around her to problem solve. I think little ones will love how the story comes together at the end.
A Cree glossary is included at the end, but if you are reading this
Casey Lyall
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well, this was an adorable read! Super cute illustrations with a great underlying theme of problem-solving and team work. I think kids will love seeing Awâsis get help from all of the animals in the story and figuring out what they'll need next to fix the bannock mishap.

I loved how all of the Cree words were interspersed within the story and having the pronunciation guide at the end is fantastic. And a recipe for bannock as well! There are so many elements in this book that make it a great
Allie
Super cute story of a little girl out to deliver some yummy bannock when bad luck befalls the bread and she asks all kinds of animals for some of the ingredients to make it again. I like the author's note that invites the reader to share this whimsical linguistic story, and I bet for a Cree speaker and those interested in Cree language revival this would be an especially fun read. The illustrations are super cute and inviting, and with some practice (for someone like me who doesn't speak Cree) ...more
Enora
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
This was a sweet story of a girl who drops the legendary-famous bannocks of her grandmother, only to be helped by every single animal in the forest. It is a story of solidarity, giving a second chance, and of the pleasure to cook together. This is a bilingual book in English and Cree dialect, with a family recipe of the bannock.

My only concern: the font when she whispers is too small to read.

*Thank you NetGalley for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*
J.L. Slipak
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
MY THOUGHTS:

I received this book in exchange for my honest review.

This book is simply adorable. I love, love the illustrations. A fantastic book for kids about teamwork, preparation and creating something with friends. This book has it all: pronounciation guide for many Cree words used throughout the story, and a recipe for Kohkum’s bannock.

It was fun to see how the author assigned each animal with a task and how everyone came together to solve a problem. This whimsical story holds a great
PvOberstein
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Cree children's book about a young girl named Awâsis who has to gather up the ingredients for her grandmother’s bannock after accidentally dropping one in the forest. Good use of the language, though the story ends rather abruptly, without the bannock actually being re-made.
Cheriee Weichel
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indigenous
This charming story tells us about a young girl, who in the process of delivering her grandmother's world famous bannock, accidentally drops it in the river. Lucky for her different animals give her the ingredients to make another batch. I like that Cree is used through every book and that there is pronunciation guide in the back matter. There is also a bannock recipe.
Ann Santori
Really well done, beautifully-illustrated book with a great pronunciation guide in back-matter to help with Cree words sprinkled throughout the text. Good for baking, forest, grandparents storytimes.
Breanna Morgan
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
Cute little story!
Sasha Boersma
Lovely little story that incorporates the Cree language into the story.
Miss Sarah
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
An elementary and up book about a young child taking something grandma has baked to others when it is ruined. Animal friends all around share ingredients. Told with Cree language.
KDV
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Awâsis is so cute and I love all her animal helpers!
Darcy
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
An important addition that is still easily accessible for those unfamiliar with Cree.
Kris
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Fabulous. Great illustrations, a fun take on Red Riding Hood, and Cree words. Really, really, loved this one.
M.J.
May 28, 2019
Terri
Jul 31, 2019
Alexandria
Aug 02, 2019
Elizabeth
Awâsis and the World-Famous Bannock is another sweet and charming picture book coming from HighWater Press, one of my personal favourite publishers. I believe that this is Dallas Hunt's first book, but after reading this I would certainly read anything he put out in the future. I would also be willing to read anything illustrated by Amanda Strong, as her work here is lovely.

The story here is a unique interpretation of the "Red Riding Hood" fairy tale, with Awâsis losing bannock that she tries
Ms. Hartmann

• IntersectionAllies: We Make Room for All
  • Not Quite Snow White
  • When Aidan Became A Brother
  • Just Because
Dallas Hunt is a teacher, writer, and member of Wapisewsipi (Swan River First Nation) in Treaty 8 territory in Northern Alberta, Canada. As a proponent of language revitalization, he wanted his debut book for children, Awâsis and the World-Famous Bannock, to include words in Cree. Dallas lives in Winnipeg and enjoys reading great books to his nieces and nephews.