Start by marking “Golden Braids and Dragon Blades: Steampunk Rapunzel (Steampunk Fairy Tales Book 4)” as Want to Read:

Being the heir to Camelot is a tangled mess.

Rapunzel has spent her entire life living in Merlin's cave on the coast of Cornwall. Under the protection of her faerie guardian, Gothel, she’s stayed safe. Safe and bored. Dreaming of a life that looks more like a Jane Austen novel, Rapunzel fears she'll never have the chance to explore Victorian England's modern delights. Or
Published August 17th 2018 by Clockpunk Press

To ask other readers questions about Golden Braids and Dragon Blades, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Golden Braids and Dragon Blades

Start your review of Golden Braids and Dragon Blades: Steampunk Rapunzel (Steampunk Fairy Tales Book 4)
Mandie
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun read! I loved it. I really enjoy this authors style of writing. This book was intriguing and action packed. And the cover is stunning!

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own
Jessica
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Author Melanie Karsak has expertly blended a Repunzel re-telling with King Arthur's legend. Hope to see more of this storyline in her Steampunk Fairy Tale series!
Linda
The fourth imaginative installment in Melanie Karsak’s Steampunk Fairy Tales!

Flaunting a stunningly beautiful cover, Golden Braids and Dragon Blades heralds the fourth imaginative installment in Melanie Karsak’s Steampunk Fairy Tales. This time Melanie treats readers to a fractured retelling of Rapunzel set in her whimsical London steampunk world which sports a diverse population of supernaturals. It blends Authurian legend, steampunk and Jane Austen into a chivalrous, thrilling, add
Lene Blackthorn
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unique and very charming retelling of classic fairytale, set up in steampunk England flooded with supernaturals.
Rapunzel Pendragon, as the true heir of King Arthur and a dragon blood, has been hidden in a cave for all her life, guarded by the faerie substituting her mother. But now the hunters are on her track. She is forced to flee together with her dragons, but her chances would be very low without the aid of Ewan Goodwin, an agent from the Red Cape Society and a descendant of one of Arthur's
Melissa Dinwiddie
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Modern, Genre-Bending Take on a Classic

What I love about Melanie Karsak’s steampunk fairytales is the unexpected directions she takes them in. In fact, calling them “fairytales” is a bit of a misnomer. Yes, she takes classic fairytales (or, in the case of Alice in Wonderland, a more modern tale) as the jumping off point, but except for some central tropes (a red cape, wolves, and Grandmother, in the case of Little Red Riding Hood; long hair, a secluded “tower,” in the case of Rapunzel), she
Robin
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first 4 books I have read by Melanie Karsak have all been the Steampunk version of Red Ridinghood and just when the story was getting good she throws a curve and this next story is about Rupunzel.

Yes, it ties into the Red Cape Society, the Pellinore Division, decedent's of King Pellinore, the dragon hunter, but in this story they are the protectors of the decedent's of King Authur.

I love the way Melanie spun the tale of King Authur and Repunzel with faerie protrctors,
Kaye
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
CUTE LITTLE BOOGERS!!!
I wasn't sure what I had expected from this little guy, but what I got was well worth my time. Talk about one interesting tale. I was captivated from the start. No if's, and's or but's. You get an action packed, fast paced, nerve racking, wild ride with a full range of emotions that have to be sorted out. The characters are well developed and so realistic I felt I could just reach out and touch them. Their personalities are unique and complex with all the individual t
Saundra Wright
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Melanie Karsak has spun another steampunk tale of pure gold! No one combines steampunk and fairy tales like Melanie Karsak. With her fourth Steampunk Fairy Tale she not only continues her tradition, but brings to life the legends of King Arthur like none before her.

In the same whimsical steampunk universe of the Red Cape Society, in a lonely isolated cave, Rapunzel Pendragon has grown up. Watched over by her mother, taught the history of her famous ancestor, and the dangers of the ou
Renee Arthur
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What can you possibly do with a retelling of Rapunzel? You'd be amazed at what Melanie Karsak can do! This is a tale about a young woman raised in Merlin's cave, alone except for her little dragons. Mother protects her and comes to visit as often as possible. Rapunzel is a very special young woman and must be protected at all costs. One day when mother comes to visit, she tells Rapunzel that she must leave for a while, but not to let the little ones outside at all until she comes back. Something ...more
Elysian Fields
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Better then butter on bacon!

I love this author and devour her books whenever I can. I loved this book for many reasons, but mainly because it is a safe, fun, character driven story that just warms the heart. I feel so much lighter and happier when I read her work and this book was one that made me giggle and cheer for.

It is full of adventure, fun charavters, amazing dialogue and a plot that is Hollywood worthy. With an expertly woven story line, this book include Arthurian legend, Rapunzel, Ja
Donna
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This short story is the latest in the steampunk fairytale series by Melanie Karsak, and is her version of Rapunzel. I LOVED it, and really hope Melanie expands it into a full series of full-length books (as she's doing with her Red Riding Hood stories), as there's so much potential for these characters. I'm not going to give away ANYTHING about the story, as it's just awesome to read coming into it with no expectations (and no spoilers - my pet hate!!) but I will recommend it to anyone who loves ...more
Marla
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Beauty and Beastly is still my favorite of this series, but I did like this one too. When the story line was actually moving forward. It started out quickly, then dragged through the middle, before picking up the pace again and ending quickly.

(view spoiler) ...more
Christina Morley
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Golden Braids and Dragon Blades is an entertaining retelling of the classic Rapunzel. There's some humor like when references to the movie Tangled are made. There's great world building and plenty of action too. The characters of Ewan and Rapunzel are likable and the dragons are adorable. Clemeny and Edwin from Karsak's edgier Steampunk Red Riding Hood series also make an appearance. This story is young adult appropriate.

I received an ARC of this book. This is my honest and voluntary
Monica
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun and new story for Rapunzel. You throw in MErlin, King Arthur, the Knights of the Round Table, Rapunzel and Steampunk and you have a very fun, fresh and new story. We also get a chance to see Clemeny even if it's only for a second. I love all of Melanie's retelling of Fairy Tales in the Steampunk version. She always has fun creative books to read. You can read this one as a stand alone but as all the books are good I say read them all. Each one is a quick, fun, adventurous read.
Sherri Davis
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Better than butter on bacon

I really enjoyed this version of Rapunzel. For one thing, Gothel is not the villain - she wants only to nurture and protect Rapunzel. I loved that there are little dragons. I super enjoyed all the references to Jane Austin's works, especially Pride and Predudice. I appreciated the setting of the same world as steampunk Red Riding Hood which I have also read and enjoyed. And if course, there was a handsome hero who loves bacon!
Elizabeth
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Melanie Karsak's steampunked fairy tales always combine such interesting stories. This one blends Arthurian legend with many different veins of the Rapunzel story. I actually really enjoyed the slight Disney cast to this one. Estrid the Dragon reminded me of the horse in Tangled, and Wink reminded me of the chameleon. This story had great pacing and allusions to the myths while still having a really interesting plot line of its own!
Diane
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an Arc and I am providing my honest review. What a wonderful read. This is a totally different version of Rapunzel. Loved it! Rapunzel is the heir to Camelot, she is a Pendragon and has special abilities. She is being protected and soon needs the protection of the Red Cape Society. Lots of action and special characters are introduced in this book. I like Ewan and Rapunzel, they make a good couple. I would recommend this to all, welcome to the gas lamp London Steampunk Universe.
Patrick
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A new character for this world

These are definitely fairy tales, as well as steam punk adventures. With that, the fairy tale endings and the romance should be expected.

They're not badly done and they're not over-the-top. I was thinking how similar they are to Austen and company. It's not a bad little story and sets up another good MC.
Stacy Spoonster
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Golden Braids and Dragon Blades

I loved it!! I love Arthurian legend and have always felt it would work well with Steampunk. These characters are just darling. Rapunzel and Ewan are too adorable together and who doesn't love dragons?!? I highly recommend this book and all of these fairy tales.
Melissa
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved It!

This was easily my favorite book within these series. It is a fun read and honestly I'd like to read more about the characters developed in this particular story. I absolutely loved it.
Shasha
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Goofy grinning

My favorite so far in the streamline fairy tales. Details of the original make this a recognizable retelling with a fresh plot and characters you want to succeed. Baby dragons topped it off!

Read in KU
Ashley
What a interesting take on Rapunzel. I really loved this book. The mix of steampunk, fairytale, and Arthurian legends was perfect and made a fascinating story that I couldn't put down. I really hope there will be more in this series because it's so good.
Jeannie Huie
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just discovered Steampunk during the last year. I love the quirkiness of it! This story of Rapunzel is so entertaining and engrossing! It's funny as well as suspenseful. It's a great read!! Love how Ms. Karsak takes the fairy tale and makes it better!!
Lilly
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a fun story!

From frypans to dragons and everything in between there was plenty to enjoy with this fun page turner. Characters that you love from the start, and a great look at the Red Capes from another point of view.
Felicia Allen
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This one is my favorite of this amazing series. The banter between Estrid and Ewan made me laugh out loud several times. The characters, the setting, everything about it was rich with detail and made you feel like you were in the story.
Ken Robson
A new take on Rapunzlel
Set in the same steampumk era with the Red Capes, this features the tale of Rapunzel. Magic, dragons, air ships and a smattering of romance all come together in this tale.

I received a free copy of this book
Laïa's Cave
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-eng
as always a really good book about this time Rapunzel.
i loved the lil dragons in it and the introduction of the Red Cape Society (from the next serie Red Riding Hood)
Maria Mitchell
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it
It was good in the beginning but lost me about halfway through. Not what I was expecting.
Jackie
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful rendition of Rapunzel. She’s being protected in Merlin’s cave, but it’s totally boring. Keeps you reading to find out what happens. I enjoyed the audible version as well.
Erin Young
Sep 27, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Cupcake Witch (The Chancellor Fairy Tales, #2)
  • The Glass Mermaid (The Chancellor Fairy Tales, #1)
  • The Bee Charmer (The Chancellor Fairy Tales, #3)
  • The Chancellor Fairy Tales Boxed Set: Books 1-3
  • The Ferocious Force (Unstoppable Liv Beaufont Book 8)
  • A Crown of Snow and Ice: A Retelling of The Snow Queen (Beyond the Four Kingdoms #3)
  • A Dream of Ebony and White: A Retelling of Snow White (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #4)
  • The Unrelenting Fighter (Unstoppable Liv Beaufont Book 7)
  • Rapunzel and the Griffin Prince (Once Upon a Spell, #6)
  • Snow White (Timeless Fairy Tales #11)
  • Golden Chains (Fantasy and Fairytales, #2)
  • Fated: Cinderella's Story (Destined, #1)
  • Golden Curse (Fantasy and Fairytales, #1)
  • Daughter of Lies: A Reimagining of Snow White (The Andari Chronicles Book 5)
  • The Queen of Gold and Straw (Fairy Tale Kingdoms, #2)
  • The Passionate Delegate (Unstoppable Liv Beaufont Book 9)
  • The Stubborn Advocate (Unstoppable Liv Beaufont Book 6)
  • Golden Crown (Fantasy and Fairytales, #3)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Melanie Karsak is the author of The Airship Racing Chronicles, The Harvesting Series, The Celtic Blood Series, Steampunk Red Riding Hood, and Steampunk Fairy Tales. A steampunk connoisseur, zombie whisperer, and heir to the iron throne, the author currently lives in Florida with her husband and two children. She is an Assistant Professor of English a ...more
“I looked up at Ewan. He’d told me himself his job was to hunt people like me. To track them down and arrest – or kill – them. For all I knew, he was taking me to a cell somewhere. Me and my dragons could be in terrible danger. But if so, why was he looking at me like that? No. I was safe with Ewan. Everything in his eyes said so.
“Why are you helping me?” I whispered.
Ewan smiled. “Your hair.”
“My hair?”
He grinned playfully. “Got a thing for girls with long hair.”
0 likes
“I grinned. “Start at the beginning.”
“Once upon a time---“
“It did not start with “Once upon a time.”
“No? It should have. All the best stories do. Now, where was I? Once upon a time…”
0 likes