Start by marking “No Ordinary Duke (The Crawfords, #1)” as Want to Read:
No Ordinary Duke (The Crawfords, #1)

No Ordinary Duke

(The Crawfords #1)

He’s everything she’s trying to avoid…But somehow precisely what she needs…

Caleb Crawford doesn’t want to be a duke. He’d much rather build houses for a living. So when fate disrupts his peaceful life and burdens him with the responsibilities of a newly inherited title, he does what any sensible man would do by fleeing London, disguising himself as a laborer, and seeking
Published October 30th 2018 by Sophie Barnes (first published August 26th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about No Ordinary Duke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Ordinary Duke

Start your review of No Ordinary Duke (The Crawfords, #1)
Barbara Rogers
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: iblog, author-arc
Series: The Crawfords #1
Publication Date: 10/30/18

Wow! This is a fast-paced, intelligently written novel with sizzling sexual tension between Caleb and Mary. It is a delightfully refreshing read mostly because the hero isn’t a rake and the heroine isn’t a shrew. It is just a lovely romance story without a villain or a chase – nope, the whole story is the wonderful romance between these two characters. Even with all of that hot, sizzling tension between them, there still isn't any graphic
Rose Blue
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
As reviewed at Roses Are Blue: https://wp.me/p3QRh4-OX

Caleb Crawford, the second son of a duke, has no desire to follow his father’s orders that he study to become a clergyman. His passion is architecture, and when his father learned that he changed his course of study, he pulled him out of school. Rather than become mired in a vocation that was not his calling, Caleb decides to leave his family and travel to the continent to continue his dream. As he left, he heard his father’s words telling
Robin Loves Reading
Caleb Crawford spent ten years away after resisting the demands of his father. However, he also left his mother and brothers. All Caleb wanted to do was to build houses for a living. In order to do so, he had to strike out on his own. However, due to the tragic deaths of his father and older brother, Caleb has inherited the dukedom and all the riches and responsibilities that go along with it. After some months, Caleb needs a break, so he takes the opportunity to escape London to act as a ...more
Elaine
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, I loved this beautiful HEA story. I must admit that I had tears at the end. A bit sensitive today.
April
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
No Ordinary Duke by Sophie Barnes is an exciting new release and new series, "The Crawfords Book 1". WOW what an awesome new series. I absolutely lovedCaleb Crawford andMary Clemens.
Well written with engaging and charming characters. The plot was captivating and intriguing. The sizzling sexual tension between Caleb and Mary will have you turning pages. The blend of Romance with the other elements was fantastic. Once again, Sophie Barnes, has written a story that is enticing and captivating. Her
Maudley
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway
The first installment in a new series by one of my favorite authors is always a treat and this did not disappoint. The characters were well thought out and the premise was unusual enough to keep me entertained. I thoroughly enjoyed this giveaway ebook and look forward to reading the next adventure.
Jane
When Caleb Crawford returns to England after his ten years in France, he has one goal and that is to prove to his father that he is an accomplished architect but he is denied the opportunity. His father and his older brother were killed in a fire and now he is the new Duke. He seeks an escape, at least temporarily and goes to a small estate to fix the roof for his friend.

This estate is occupied by three young women that have been rejected by the ton and now they take in unwanted children and
G.A. Hurst
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
No Ordinary Duke is part of The Crawfords Series by Sophie Barnes.

Caleb Maxwell Crawford is the second son of Camberly. He wet abroad to study architecture against his father’s wishes. He wanted to show his father he could be a success. He returned with awards and drawings to prove his expertise to his father but found his father and older brother had recently died in a stable fire. He would now be the Duke of Camberly.
He’s shocked and reluctant, but he does his duty. After a few weeks and as
Courtney
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted here: https://courtneyreadsromancesite.word...

No Ordinary Duke is another sweet book from Sophie Barnes, and has a lot of promise as a series starter. One of the things I like about her work is that she writes heroes who are more likable rather than the standard alpha-douche. Even her dukes aren’t your typical, lording-over-everyone type, and, as the title suggests, Caleb is no exception. I love that he is working to balance his love for architecture and building things
Sissy's Romance Book Review
No Ordinary Duke by Sophie Barnes is book One in The Crawfords series. This is the story of Mary Clemens and Caleb Crawford.
A few years ago Mary was thought she wold be marrying a Marquess but he disappeared and his father made it clear that he would allow such a marriage....and even spread rumors about Mary to the town. This lead her parents who didn't believe or support excepted her to lead leave town and to go into isolation. But Mary turned to her friend, Cassandra for a place to stay
Kelly  The Sassy Book Lover
I absolutely loved this hidden identity story because it is different from most. I was hooked from the start with the shock of him finding out he is the Duke now. The moment they met sparks were flying and everyone could feel the tension between them. I'm sure my face was similar to his when he found out who had ruined her. They would take one step closer only to fall back two, but it was all worth it in the end. I loved how they brought everyone together again. The epilogue is one of the best ...more
Dianne Lowe
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good story of Mary, a woman shunned by society and her parents, and Caleb, a man returning to England to show his father how successful he has been as an architect in France. Upon returning, Caleb finds his father and older brother have both died, making him Duke. Suffering under the weight of the responsibility, he agrees to go to his friend's house in the country and make repairs. He presents himself as Mr. Crawford and works on the roof and house for three women and children who live there. ...more
Tanja Kezmic
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: omgreads
My first book by Sophie Barnes and I'm an instant fan. This story was absolutely brilliant. The chemistry and heat between Mary and Caleb was so hot. Even if all we got was one kiss right uptile the end of the story. The banter between them and the side characters was so witty it had me laughing out loud at times. I loved how much effort Caleb invested to proved to Mary he was so much more than his tittle. And I loved Mary and her ability to not take crap from anyone even that "anyone" is a ...more
Lorraine
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
He doesn’t want to be a
Duke. He enjoyed it he was doing. He was living the life he wanted. To get away from everything he helps his friend by going to the home of his sister and helping her prepare the home that she into other friends are living in. Unfortunately as they begin to build each other and realizes that he’s living a lie is not sure how to tell her the truth. Then the fun begins. A well written and entertaining story with a happy ending. What more could you want out of a book??
Tina
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
An enjoyable read. An odd combination of a quick (too quick, in my opinion) attraction and a slow (too slow) resolution. That said, it's well written and I liked the characters. I'd be interested in reading the next one (which isn't out until June 2019) if the reviews indicate it's good.
Diane Horne
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
No Ordinary Duke (The Crawford's Book 1) By Sophie Barnes

Four stars, cute storyline, a continuing series..Mary and her Duke, her friends the children and the parents all had their roles in the makeup of this story..Interesting..Good conclusion and a good ending.
Candy Briggs
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Caleb Crawford, New Duke of Camberly, had just returned after ten years away. His father wanted him to be a vicar but he did not feel the calling. He was an excellent architect and had won awards with his designs.
Miss Mary Clemens had been driven away by her parents because of gossip and had fled London. She moved in with two other friends and five orphans and a cat.
It had been six months since Caleb had become a duke and he was feeling cornered. His friend Viscount Aldridge suggested he could
Sharon
O Lord did I struggle though this book. It was boring. It was predictable. The “chemistry” between the two love interests was comical. Virtually every character was flat as a board. I am proud that I made the effort to make it all the way to the end of this book to report that you should not. I feel badly because I received this free through a. Goodreads giveaway. I hate to give it a bad review but it was like romance fanfic.
Lissa
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Calebs brother:
Devin, sea captain
Griffin, likes London, mischeivous

Mary friends:
Emily howard, left society because she was ignored./wallflower. She was plump and dressed unattractivly but now is fit and dress self.
Lady Cassandra - anticipated wedding then fiance dies on way to wedding. She has child, Penelope. She was rejected by parents, but brother, Viscount Aldridge, buys her home and supports her.
Sharyn
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Misunderstandings and more

A Duke who doesn't want to be a Duke offers to help his friend by going incognito to help him. Of course he meets a woman who does not want to marry an aristocrat. Of course they fall in love, and she feels betrayed. Many twists and turns until the HEA.

Debra McEathron
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best love

Mary and Caleb had much to overcome before they married. The story followed the pattern of love over coming obstacles and family drama. There were only a few grammatical errors that were minor.
Cindy
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Meh

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

It's a decent enough story. I'm just not a fan of the epilogue that briefs the entire life as an ending to a romance.
Brenda Dickson
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Caleb and Mary are meant for each other! I loved this very entertaining and very fun ( I could not put it down) story. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves Sophie Barnes other books. Fabulous!
angela hamilton
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Good read. Sweet.

Had to make myself finish it because it was $4.00. Sort of drug on. The end was so rushed. It was a little off putting slightly ridiculous that they two friends were pushing the h towards an affair?!?!!
Kelly
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a captivating story between the complex characters of Caleb and Mary. Enigmatic Caleb is just right for the multifaceted and extremely candid, Mary. I absolutely love the ending. Beautifully written!
Annette
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
NO ORDINARY DUKE: was just an ordinary read.
Jennifer Becker
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
such a fun sweet story about two people trying to run from their past and trying to accept it to embrace their future.
Steve Bender
Enjoyed the read very much, but it slowed down at the end. Still a very good read. I couldn't figure out how to enlarge the print on my ipad.
Susan
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book! I'm looking forward to reading the stories of the other characters.
Janet Russell
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Very pleasant love story

Although predictable and a bit overlong. But the setting and characters were well presented and there was happily ever after

• The Red Hot Earl (Love is All Around #1)
  • The Gift of the Marquess (Love is All Around #2)
  • A Lady's Guide to a Gentleman's Heart (The Heart of a Scandal #2)
  • Never Deceive a Viscount (Infamous Lords, #2)
  • Forever and a Duke (Rogues to Riches, #3)
  • Lord of Vice (Rogues to Riches, #6)
  • One Night for Seduction (Wicked Dukes Club #1)
  • Dukes, Actually (12 Dukes of Christmas # 5)
  • One Night to Remember (Wicked Dukes Club #5)
  • One Night of Surrender (Wicked Dukes Club #2)
  • One Night of Passion (Wicked Dukes Club #3)
  • How to Ruin a Duke: A Regency Novella Duet
  • Dukes by the Dozen
  • To Dare a Duke (Girls Who Dare, #1)
  • When the Earl was Wicked (Forever Yours #5)
  • Never Have I Ever With a Duke (The Spitfire Society #1)
  • Misadventures with the Duke (Forever Yours #4)
  • A Matchmaker for a Marquess (The Heart of a Scandal #3)
USA Today Bestselling Author

Born in Denmark, Sophie has spent her youth traveling with her parents to wonderful places all around the world. She’s lived in five different countries, on three different continents, and speaks Danish, English, French, Spanish and Romanian.

She has studied design in Paris and New York and has a bachelor’s degree from Parson’s School of design, but most impressive of

The Crawfords (3 books)
  • More Than a Rogue (The Crawfords, #2)
  • Her Seafaring Scoundrel (The Crawfords, #3)