Start by marking “The Sea” as Want to Read:
The Sea

The Sea

Literature professor Louise Richards has a secret. She isnt human. Her evergreen body harbors a weathered soul, jaded and no longer thriving. That is, until fascinating student Nicole Stark walks into her classroom and awakens something within.
Nicole is different and alluring in ways Louise cant quite put her finger on. Who is this mysterious, enticing woman? What is she
ebook
Published October 15th 2018 by Ylva Publishing

Start your review of The Sea
Diane Wallace
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
'ARC provided by Ylva-Publishing in exchange for a fair and honest review'

**'Dialogue should be brief...Emotion creates memory and readers affinity.Humor is emotion and often the most powerful one.Don't tell jokes.Expose the humor of reality and the truth of the story..'

Beautiful read!
'THE SEA' captures the ambivalence at the center of a professor having to make a choice: does she act on all these alluring,desirable and at the same time sort of magnetic feelings that she has towards this very
Lex Kent
4.25 Stars. What a tease. This is an excellent short story, but it is a short. I knew this was a quick read, but I was assuming novella length. I am disappointed its so short but only because I was completely hooked. Just when I desperately wanted to keep flipping the pages it was over. I dont know if this was just a little short Hughes wrote for Halloween, but I would love, love to see this turned into a full length book or at least another short or novella to continue the story. Its always ...more
Netty
Are you fucking kidding me?
Oh my bloody god, just as I was really getting into that it flippin ended, how cruel is that? Very teasing indeed....
One of my favourite authors, excellent writing as always, Im disappointed it was so short, Im always greedy when it comes to her books, anyway I cant actually say much about the story without telling the whole story if you know what I mean, excellent though:)

An ARC was given in exchange for an honest review
Joc
I enjoyed it so much I read it twice. The story made me smile but the writing took my breath away. Dr Louise Richards is mesmerized by one of her students in the Advanced Literary Analysis course she teaches. She can feel her presence when shes nearby, shes distracted by her gaze, and knows she needs to stay far away.

Im a fan of short stories and, even though this was shorter than I expected it to be, I was riveted by every word. Beautifully written.

Book received from Ylva Publishing for an
Alexis
I finally hopped on the bandwagon and read this wonderfully written short story about a vampire who becomes infatuated with one of her students and struggles with her attraction. I can totally understand why after finishing this some readers were left frustrated as the story ends without having truly started. Really all this is, is a 4000 words tease.

Still worth the read but do I want an entire book now that I've essentially gotten the gist? This may be an unpopular opinion but no. No I don't.
vacatedboat
This was free on YLVAs website, so you wont lose anything except a little time if this isnt to your liking. Its well written for a short, but its so short its hard to get invested in it at all. There isnt much of a story, per se, but a quick, intimate look at a womans obsession with one of her students. Ill admit, Id be curious to read more with actual detail and a plot, but as-is, this was really just a giant tease with an unsatisfying ending. Be warned, the story stops at 81% (on the Kindle ...more
Farah
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Sea was an absolute gem! Ms.Hughes did wondrous with this book - from some minor yet very interesting background of Doctor Richards' that I would really like to learn more of to the mysterious student by the name of Nicole Stark, the goddamned bane of her professor's existence.

25 pages on the Scribd app but with its gorgeous cover, extremely interesting storyline, the mother of all forbidden romance, a chance to a HEA for someone deserving of one - The Sea would be able to take down
Ted
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Liked it well enough for a short. Would have been better IMO if it were at novella length but I get it. Wonder if this is meant to be a part of an anthology or if it's a stand alone with follow ups. Guess we'll see.
Luce
3 Stars for a short, short story leaving you wanting more. Free on the Ylva site. Love, love the cover.
hubsie
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I did not realize this was a short story as I opened it on the train this morning, then promptly finished when I got to work. Quick little read that was very eloquent and full of longing by MC Louise Richards, who has been alive for centuries. Her meeting of student Nicole Stark threw her for a spin. The language was quite beautiful and I was quickly drawn in, only to have it end! So bravo for a lovely read, but now I do want to learn more about these two. The MCs backstories would be unique and ...more
Skye Kilaen
A jaw-dropping paranormal F/F short story, free on the publisher's website. It's about Louise, a world-weary vampire lady who teaches college lit, and Nicole, the attractive woman who joins one of her advanced class. It's a tantalizing meet-cute (meet-sexy?), so don't expect a full story about two people getting to know each other and falling in love. This is how they find each other, nothing more, but it's extremely compelling and intriguing.

If you're in the mood for paranormal F/F and would
Corrie
K.L. Hughes (of Popcorn Love fame) wrote the little teaser The Sea used as a free promotion for Publisher Ylva. The story is about a 700-year old vampire who is baffled by the lusty feelings shes experiencing when a young student (dont worry shes legal) enters her classes. What we get is her struggle as she tries to resist the urge to pounce this woman. The story is over before it has a chance to really begin and I heard Ylva got quite some flack over it. I know you are not supposed to look a ...more
Agirlcandream
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a tease. I want more, please.
Bethany
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well that just straight up needs to be a full length novel - ASAP!
BadassCmd
Me, reading the first sentence: Aaaah yes this is what Ive been waiting for. My crops are flourishing, my skin is clear, my depression n anxiety are cured

Me, reading the sentence I could hear her body functioning: liquids sloshing about, stomach groaning, teeth grinding the slightest bit: Okaaaay well this is definitely an interesting CHOICE.

Me, understanding why this sentence makes sense, muttering under my breath with a lot of feeling: hell yeeeeeeesssss, sweet mother Sappho!

Me, after the
MJS
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
ARC received from YLVA in return for an honest review.

Im not really sure how to review this one. I know its a short story, but honestly, it read like an excerpt. It literally ends just where the action would be expected to start. The story is intriguing but provides very few answers. I hope this is the first of a series, or that at the very least theres a follow up, because without it this is a frustrating read.

4 stars because whats there is well-written and hooks you in, but there needs to be
Betty
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
"The Sea" by K.L. Hughes is a paranormal short story with two very interesting characters. The reader sees the story through the eyes of Professor Louise Richards who we discover is not human but an old soul who has become tired of the life she has had to live. Then she meets Nicole Stark, one of her students who is an intriguing mystery to Louise.

I picked up this short story mainly because of the author. I generally don't choose paranormal tales, but I knew Ms. Hughes is an excellent author so
Della
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nicole Starks eyes captures Professor Louise Richards. When she looked up, our eyes met. Hers were green; not a dark, rich green like emeralds but a light green, so light they could change colors in the right setting. They could be the soft gray of spring rain clouds or the translucent blue of the moons reflection on water, something almost white.
KL Hughes short story The Sea reads like a beautiful poem to attraction and desire. Her descriptive prose takes you exactly where she wants you to go.
Jo
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Too freaking fast. I want more, 200 pages more.
Liz
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
!!!!! Really enjoying this and then it ended. I did not realise it was that short. I so hope there is a continuation of the story.

Good writing, well executed, too good to leave as a short.

Arc from ylva for honest review.
Tiff
A really fantastic short story, one that left me wanting a hell of a lot more. I hope there is more to come with these characters.
Betty
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent story. The wriing is clean and evocative. I liked it very much.

My only gripe is the length. I knew that this ws a short story, and I have no issues with that. I like short stories, but for thsi story in particular it was a little too short. I found the ending tobe quite a dissappointment. Frustrating. I so desperately wanted more.

On teh good side, KL Hughes features on my list of authors to look outfor and I will probably read more (when I get the TBR pile a little shorter).
Karen
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Maybe just maybe this will be made into a full length book. A girl can only hope.
Carol Hutchinson
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This short story was amazing!

It captured me as a reader and drew me in to it with the wonder of the words that formed it. With a poetic feel, and a dark, deeply beautiful story I was entranced and swept up in this story that isnt all as it might seem at first. Fascinating with haunting beauty!

The perfect read for a long, relaxing coffee break with some biscuits (or maybe on an Autumn evening with a nice glass of wine and the lights down low!)

Loved this so much that I wish there were more, but
Katia M. Davis
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a well written paranormal short. O downloaded it for free from Smashwords. The narrative was good and I felt I was with the main character and experiencing her desires and needs. A good little read I wish had been longer.
Carrie
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful writing. Truly felt the need/desire/want. Would love to read a full novel like it. Much too short. Left me with many of the same feelings as Dr. Lou.
Cheryl S
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure why Ylva Publishing wanted this reviewed as if it was a full length novel? It is approximately one chapter in length. Something you would submit to a publisher to entice them to sponsor your completed novel. Having said that....If I was a publisher I would grab it immediately. K.L.Hughes has a way of carrying you off to this world of rich warm desire. You feel everything the characters feel and more. I read her previous book, The Art of us, and loved it. I have been waiting for her ...more
R
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Sea was an extremely visual story. The author didnt need much dialogue because her descriptive writing said it all. This 4000 word story will leave you wanting more, yet the depth of the emotions and anxiety felt by Dr. Louise Richards came through with every single one of those words.
It was just sobeautifully written!

BookFiend17
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whew! This short story totally hooked me from the get go and didnt let go! I could easily read it again and would abso-freaking-lutely love any more like this! I received an arc. ...more
IanWAA
Oct 31, 2018 added it
Shelves: 2-free
This was very interesting but I can't rate this. It is to short and has an open ending(I hate open endings).
« previous 1 3 next »

• Irregular Heartbeat
  • Breaking Character
  • Contract for Love
  • One Way or Another
  • Temptation
  • Major Surgery
  • Not the Marrying Kind
  • Drawing the Line (Cops and Docs, #4)
  • Back to September
  • Alone
  • Language of Love - A Flirty, Festive Anthology
  • Paper Love
  • Payback
KL Hughes is an American poet and fiction author writing in multiple genres. Growing up in a small town of just over 1500 people, she spent much of her time inventing various ways to entertain herself as well as others. Whether it was through vocal performances of original childrens songs or theatrical re-enactments of books, movies, and actual events, Hughes showcased her extensive imagination ...more