Start by marking “The Dragon Republic (The Poppy War, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Dragon Republic (The Poppy War, #2)

The Dragon Republic

(The Poppy War #2)

The searing follow-up to 2018’s most celebrated fantasy debut – THE POPPY WAR.
In the aftermath of the Third Poppy War, shaman and warrior Rin is on the run: haunted by the atrocity she committed to end the war, addicted to opium, and hiding from the murderous commands of her vengeful god, the fiery Phoenix. Her only reason for living is to get revenge on the traitorous Emp
Expected publication: August 6th 2019 by Harper Voyager

Win a Copy of This Book

• The Dragon Republic by R.F. Kuang
    The Dragon Republic (The Poppy War, #2)
    Release date: Aug 06, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win 1 of 100 galleys of The Dragon Republic, the highly anticipated sequel to the acclaimed THE POPPY WAR.

Three times throughout

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 4295 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Apr 01 - Apr 29, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
    Just got an ARC!!
    Can't wait to read this :D
    Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
    Omg!!!!! I have this pre-ordered and was going to read with my group and reread first one. I will just reread them ALL later! Netgalley came through!! I almost fell over!! So it’s on baby!

REVIEW:

DAMN! DAMN! DAMN! DAMN! That ending! DAMN! DAMN! DAMN!

This will be a short review. I'm not going to spoil anything but you can skim over some of the quotes as you might consider them as a spoiler.

The Dragon Republic starts out with a bang; right out of the gates as I like to say. Rin is messed the hel
    شيماء ✨
    Oct 19, 2018 marked it as to-read
    If one of my favorite characters dies in this book, y'all are just gonna have to bury me with them
    Petrik
    Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: Asian-inspired/military fantasy reader
    Shelves: owned-ebooks
    ARC provided by the publisher—Harper Voyager—in exchange for an honest review.

4.5/5 stars

The newest rising queen of fantasy is back with her newest book, The Dragon Republic, and it managed to live up to my super high expectations.

Can we first appreciate just how damn gorgeous the cover of this book is? JungShan has created another spectacular cover-selling ink illustration and I’m confident that many readers will pick up the book/series even if they don’t know anything about it. The same situat
    Emily May
    Mar 15, 2019 marked it as arc-2019
    Shelves: fantasy, arc
    "combines the history of 20th-century China with a gripping world of gods and monsters, to devastating effect."

YES. I am so ready.

ARC provided in exchange for honest review 🐉
    R.F. Kuang
    Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
    get ready
    ✨    jamieson   ✨
    LOOK AT THAT COVERRRR

me waiting for this book impatiently whilst simultaneously being highkey stressed about it bc I know it's gonna be a rough time for those characters

pre-ordering my coffin as we speak bc I know this book will KILL ME
    Hamad
    Oct 20, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    All I want now in my life is to get rid of the anxiety and read a book! Is that asking for much??
    I have been approved for an e-arc of this btw!

****************
    I love the simplicity of this cover
    One of my most anticipated 2019 releases!!!
    Umairah | Sereadipity
    W O W

This book messed up my emotions in the best way possible. I'm very happy to report no symptoms of second book syndrome in the slightest.

Very impressed review to come!
    Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
    “War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who remains.”
    -Rin, The Poppy War.

The Poppy War had such a strong ending that it could quite easily have been a stand alone novel. I thought it all had ended.

Now I’ve read the blurb to this and seen the cover and I know I won’t be able to resist it come May. I really hope it’s as good as the first one!

It really will be interesting to see where Kuang takes her character now because she really isn't the same person: war changed her.

(So I'll
    Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
    "You asked how large my sorrow is, and I answered, like a river in spring flowing east."

Poor Rin..

This book is dark and hit home in so many places within my weak heart. Rin is dealing with the aftermath of the decisions she made in The Poppy War. We all know they weren't the brightest and Kuang REALLY delves into that in this sequel. She is addicted to opium, has severe PTSD, she cuts herself and leaves the wounds open because she thinks pain is her only option. As well as other characters who d
    ♠️ Tabi ♠️
    Time is making turtles look fast while I wait for this
    megs_bookrack
    HOLY SMOKES

LOOK AT THIS COVER!!!

((screams and runs to Amazon to preorder))
    Surina
    Seven fucking hells, the world isn't ready for this book.
    MeaganCM
    Oct 21, 2018 marked it as anticipated-release-tbr  ·  review of another edition
    LOOK AT THIS BEAUTIFUL COVER!
    Sara➽ Ink Is My Sword
    I haven't even finished The Poppy War and I already need this.
    Her world is so rich and captivating, her writing is just the tasty cherry on top of an already wonderful action-pack masterpiece.🔥
    Amy Risner
    Mar 28, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    ARC provided by Harper Voyager via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube
    Amy Imogene Reads
    Honestly can't contain my excitement - ARC approved!!

Thank you so much to Harper Collins - Harper Voyager via NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
    Taylor
    UPDATE OCT 2018:

AHHHHHHH THE COVER IS PERFECT AND I'M GONNA DIEEEEEEEE

...

OH FUCK. MY HEART AND SOUL ARE SLAIN BECAUSE THIS IS HAPPENING.

Have I still not recovered from The Poppy War? YEP. Would I sell my mortal soul for this book? FUCK YES.

In the name of the holiest of all fathers, Brendan Urie, GIVE ME STRENGTH. Amen.
    Adah Udechukwu
    Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    The Dragon Republic is the best novel I have read this year. It is action-packed and has no dull moments.
    Lenore (Lilia)
    ✧ ARC PROVIDED BY THE PUBLISHER VIA EDELWEISS IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW ✧
    Fire and water looked so lovely together. It was a pity they destroyed each other by nature.

How the hell am even supposed to form cohesive sentences after this ending???

This is how you write a book. This is how you take a good story and turn it into an unforgettable dream. This is how you drive a stake into a reader's heart and have them ask for more.

The Dragon Republic is everything I could have wanted from the seco
    Gretal
    Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    fuck
    Sunny ✨wordslikefury✨
    Just look at that beautiful cover!!!
    Alexandra
    Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019
    I received an e-ARC from the Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Review can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

My friends on Twitter are still reeling on how to write this review. I can only say two words: phenomenally brutal. And also too real, as if the war is part of history (which I know that it could easily be). Rin and gang are true survivors as they try to escape the Empress and yet they become entangled in new plots which will bring the Empire or what's left of it on its knees.

Rin's
    Eleanor (bookishcourtier)
    *screaming into the void that the last book left in my mind*

I need this now.
    Micaila Blankenship
    ARC provided by the publisher - Harper Voyager - in exchange for an honest review.

"It was a world of gods, a time of great powers. It was the era of divinity walking in man, of wind and water and fire."

To be honest, going into this I had extremely high expectations as the first book was my top Fantasy read of 2018 and I can officially say R.F. Kuang did not let me down!

This book was just as stunning, shocking, and oh so wonderfully dark as the first.

Perhaps my favorite aspect of this series is
    Rain
    Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    CW: self-harm, graphic violence, genocide, drug addiction, torture, rape, death

Reading is all fun and games until all them books decide to tear your heart straight out of your chest, punch you in the gut, and leave you to the sharks to devour. THAT IS WHAT THE DRAGON REPUBLIC MADE ME FEEL. Y'all are never going to be ready for this one. You think THE POPPY WAR was painful??? This one's even more life-changing (life-ending too?).

FULL REVIEW TO COME!

*screams in dragon-ish*
    One-Edgy-Anti-Hero
    Despite my rating of the first book which I gave a 3. This author has got to be one I see a huge amount of potential in, especially for a debut novel of that quality despite its flaws. Kuang knows how to hook the reader well in my opinion.

She wrote the first draft at my age too which is friggin' sweet. I also have some interest in writing grimdark or at least work that borders on it.

I noticed she stated that she feels the second book is better then the first since she improved upon a few novice
    Divine Anas
    HI I JUST FINISHED THE POPPY WAR AND I NEED TO HAVE THIS BOOK IN MY LIFE RN. IM FCTASTICALLY ADDICTED TO THE POPPY WAR AND WILL NEED MY NEXT FIX SOON. SO PLS.
    michelle (magicalreads)
    FUCKING FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK
    « previous 1 3 4 next »
    • Shorefall (Founders, #2)
    • The City We Became
    • Jade War
    • The Harp of Kings
    • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
    • The Deepest Blue
    • Fall Like Thieves
    • The Empire of Gold (The Daevabad Trilogy, #3)
    • Empire of the Vampire (Empire of the Vampire, #1)
    • Dead Empire (Black Wolves, #2)
    • Untitled (The Iron Covenant, #2)
    • Beneath the Twisted Trees (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #4)
    • Middlegame
    • Untitled (The Band, #3)
    • The True Queen (Sorcerer Royal, #2)
    • Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #3)
    • The Witness for the Dead (The Goblin Emperor, #2)
    • Gates of Stone (Lord of the Islands, #1)
    Hello! I use Goodreads to support books I really loved (I don't review or even always finish books I don't like) so it's mostly 5 star ratings here. I don't check GR very often so I don't respond to friend requests or messages. If you'd like to get in touch, find me on Twitter or at my author website–thanks!

The Poppy War (2 books)
    • The Poppy War (The Poppy War, #1)
    “He had the mathematics of fighting down to a science.” 2 likes