Start by marking “The Golden Boy of Crime: The Almost Certainly True Story of Norman "Red" Ryan” as Want to Read:
The Golden Boy of Crime: The Almost Certainly True Story of Norman "Red" Ryan

The Golden Boy of Crime: The Almost Certainly True Story of Norman "Red" Ryan

For readers of The Devil in the White City and The Massey Murder, the incredible story of Norman “Red” Ryan—“the Jesse James of Canada” and the “Kardashian” of the 1920s and ’30s

Dubbed “the Jesse James of Canada,” Norman “Red” Ryan was infamous in the 1920s and ’30s until he was gunned down in an attempted robbery in Sarnia, Ontario. Ernest Hemingway wrote about Ryan’s esc
Published May 14th 2019 by Collins

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Boy of Crime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Boy of Crime

Janice
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
An easy to read, highly entertaining story of a Canadian I had never heard of. Norman "Red" Ryan the so called Jesse James of Canada. It was an interesting read with tidbits of history about Prime Minister Bennett, Ernest Hemingway and the city of Toronto. I particularly appreciated the copies of newspaper articles included in the beginning of the chapters.
Janet
Jul 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
My dad actually went down and saw Red Ryan's body on display when he was a kid growing up in Sarnia, Ontario as a kid.
Fascinating back read! (esp. the Hemingway angle)
I picked this up out of curiosity since I had never heard of Norman "Red" Ryan before. Having grown up in the States with tales of Dillinger and Bonnie & Clyde I was curious about Canada's bank robber. Unfortunately, this book was not what I had expected - it contained minimal facts and mostly guesstimates of what Norman Ryan's life was and of his crimes. The author spends time ruminating on books he's read, journalists who covered the Ryan stories, and gossip around Ryan himself. They style ...more
Janet Hutchinson
Having listened to Jim Brown on CBC for more years than I can count, this is very much written in his voice. And as such, is an enjoyable read. Red Ryan was certainly a character of crime, and his life seemed larger than most. I had never heard of Red Ryan, but the outline of how he lived (and died), coupled with the journalistic styles of the time, seemed almost made up (well, the journalism certainly seemed to be).
Gillian Whitfield
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I already knew of Red Ryan and his exploits from a tour of the Kingston Penitentiary that I did last summer, but it was interesting to see it from a broader context. Very well-researched, funny, and chock-full of interesting facts, cool pictures, and many different perspectives, and related bits of information. A perfect blend of true crime, history, and culture.
Vontel
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Didn't finish this book. Read maybe 1/4 to 1/3, too hiring in comparison with other books I had on hand to read. There is history of Canadian & American criminals, much of it from other previously published sources. It is a non-fiction "true crime" book.
Jessica Chapman
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought this would be a run of the mill "true crime" story. Instead it turned out to be a close examination of what comprises "the truth" and the role of journalists in that process.
Angie
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Could have been written in a better format,very interesting look at some local history though.
Duncan McCurdie