Start by marking “The Changeling King (Estranged, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Changeling King (Estranged, #2)

The Changeling King

(Estranged #2)

After years of pretending to be human, the changeling Edmund Carter has assumed his rightful role as Cinder, king of the World Below. But not everyone at the royal palace is happy about his return.

Meanwhile, Ed is adjusting to human life in the World Above. His birth family treats him with a kindness he never knew growing up in the Fay court, but Ed misses the sense of pur
Published October 1st 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Changeling King, please sign up.
Ethan Aldridge So far, just the two are planned. But I do have ideas kicking around my sketchbooks for more, so we'll see what the future holds!

Start your review of The Changeling King (Estranged, #2)
Julie
The last page definitely alludes to a third book, especially because one thing was left unresolved. I really like this world and I can't wait to see where the story will go after that ending.
Cassie
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This is such a sweet graphic novel series. The family theme is so strong in this one, and it’s beyond precious. There’s so much more drama and magic in it. I’m so glad I stumbled upon this series, it’s definitely one I want to keep up with. And with this ending, it’s nice to know that it’ll continue. I was afraid it wouldn’t, but it definitely will. I just can’t wait to be back with these wonderful characters!

If you’re looking for a graphic novel that’s all about friends, family, magic, and dram
JenLovesBooks
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Right in the beginning of this second novel, we are thrown into a dispute between those that are not of the court, giving us a further look into Cinder's new reign and duties over the realm below. And it's  such a doozy. So much is jam packed in this volume and I'm living for it. Especially with character's like Fawntine that make this an even more enjoyable read. Along with all the beloved characters from the first book Estranged.

All of that absolutely includes more of Ed and Alexis, their new
Toya (the reading chemist)
As soon as I finished Estranged , I couldn’t wait to pick up The Changeling King and re-immerse myself into this beautifully rich fantasy world that Ethan Aldridge has created.

King Cinder is still trying to adjust to his royal obligations as king of the Fae in the World Below. As to be expected, he must oversee the council meetings, which usually end in the goblins and Fae wanting to slaughter each other on site. While these meetings are utterly frustrating, one thing has become clear…magic i
Ashley
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this world. ❤
Nick
I'm not as enamored of the artwork as some readers are, but the story was excellent. I was a tad concerned about the royal lineage, based on what was shown in the story. I mean, if the young king is both gay and involved with a different species, there might be problems, based on the way the elite fay react to everything else. That is not a criticism of the story, but is something that this volume, at least, didn't mention or resolve.
Also, what the heck was that shield? Wishes in this world rea
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Wunderkind PR for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
shri (sunandchai)
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review to come!
Sandra Stedge
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I’m totally enamored by this world below and all the beautiful (and ugly) creatures. I’m so happy to see the storyline isn’t complete and can’t wait for more.
VL
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, the art is just perfect. I mean I read comics all the time but this art is beautiful. Second, the story is also fantastic. If you haven't read the first Estranged, get to it and then order this one.
Megan
HELLO, THIS SERIES CONTINUES TO BE MY FAVORITE GRAPHIC NOVELS EVER OF ALL TIME OH MY GOOOODDDDD I LOVE THIS SO MUCH. JUST READ THESE BOOKS THEY ARE SO BEAUTIFUL I'M CRYING.

I know I rhapsodized repeatedly about Estranged last year–it’s still my favorite graphic novel of all time. The sequel is just as spectacular as the first. I read it in one gulp and then went back immediately and reread it in sips and savors. I almost can’t write a review because what can I say other than I just love this book
Joyfully Jay
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elizabeth
A Joyfully Jay review.

This book is a direct sequel to Estranged, with maybe months passing — I doubt it’s more than a year — after the events in the first graphic novel. Ideally, you’d read the first book before jumping into this one, otherwise the story will be a bit harder to get into, and the twist at the end won’t have as much of an impact. Plus, it’s a beautiful book and deserves your attention.

Cinder was raised human, with human parents and a sister who loved him. And now he’s s
Kylie
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
4.5 stars!
This was a wonderful sequel. I wasn’t sure at first if I was going to like it as much as the first one. Parts of it felt kind of forced and I was hoping it wasn’t going to be like that throughout the whole book. I was pleasantly surprised.
The storyline picked right up after the first book and it was pretty action packed through the whole book. I liked learning more about the Below and it was told in a way that didn’t feel like information dumping. I liked the new characters that were i
Babsidi
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adore this series. Book two is lovely--great character progression, freaking gorgeous art, and a continuing storyline that both gets me psyched for what's to come and manages to give a comfortable sense of conclusion that's not a cheap cliffhanger. Extra points for the parents being told what's happened with their kids, not just left to guess about the sudden 180 degree shift in their son's personality. Extra, extra points for depictions of the Queen and Ed's relationship as something messed u ...more
Panda Incognito
This book's family focus is unique for a fantasy graphic novel, and I appreciate its unusual take and positive messages. Even though I finished this last night, I still can't think of any other story where parents go to a fantasy world with their kids, and I love that element of this book. Even though parts of this story have too much frenetic action for my tastes, this book is well-plotted, has good twists, and ties up the book's adventure by the end, throwing in a stunning cliffhanger twist wh ...more
Ally
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adored this book! It was so nice to revisit the story of Cinder and Ed. Aldridge’s artwork and painting were perfect as always. I also appreciated how he touched upon the topics of not feeling loved or accepted by your parents in a subtle way without making the whole story about that. I really hope there a third book because that ending was essentially a cliffhanger and I need to know how the world will react to the actions made at the end.

Please give me moooooore.
Elevetha
3.5 stars.

Thoroughly enjoyed this second installment in the series, with a couple reservations .

Wasn't thrilled, though hardly surprised, at the gay romance burgeoning between (view spoiler). Being MG, it's fairly light, but also being MG, it's not necessary to include.

Someone (view spoiler) makes a very monumentally stupid decision (view spoiler)
DJL
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Pretty good continuation from Estranged Volume 1. There's also been a few loose threads not tied up by the end, which makes me wonder if there will be a third book. Family is truly the most important thing.
Hannah McManus
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just as delightful and gorgeous as the first.
Lily
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm living for the gay blushes. :D
Virginia
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WHAT A MESS! LOVE THIS JOURNEY
Julie
Lovely artwork well-suited to the story. I like the characters and the world - I'm curious whether another book is planned.
Kat Foster
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The art, the characters, the story line. Everything about The Changeling King is perfection. I couldn’t recommend it more.
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Good fun quality adventure! Enjoy the story, art, and characters a lot.
C.J. Milbrandt
A return to familiar places, where the Changeling and the Childe are doing their best to fit into the worlds they are each learning to call home. But something's amiss, and a new adventure blurs those boundaries. Excellent storytelling. Wonderful moments when favorite characters return. I hope Aldridge has more in store!
Sadie Bee (Princess Pessimism)
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)

Also Posted on For The Love of Fictional Worlds

Disclaimer: An eARC was provided via Jean Book Nerd and the Author as part of the Blog Tour. The Thoughts, opinions & feelings expressed in the review are therefore, my own.

Disclaimer: This is the second book in the Estranged World – and while it took me a little while to understand the plotline (I picked this one up first!) – it would of course be infinitely better if you picked the first book – Estranged – up first.

Ethan Aldri
Travis
I remember thinking that Estranged was leaving itself open for a sequel, especially with the faerie king and queen running around transformed as rats (view spoiler). So, I was happy and not very surprised when I found this book. Sadly, I didn't like it quite as much as the first volume, though it is a good book.

The problems I had are all sort of
Kenya Starflight
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-love
I've been fascinated with the changeling myth for a long time, and "Estranged" was a fantastic graphic novel that explored this myth from a unique angle and gave us a fantastically realized world of faerie creatures existing alongside our own. I didn't expect the story to continue -- though there were a few plot threads left open at the end of "Estranged," its ending was emotionally satisfying. That's not to say "The Changeling King" is unnecessary, however -- indeed, it's an excellent continuat ...more
Karen (BaronessBookTrove)
I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy from the Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Estranged #2 The Changeling King by Ethan M. Aldridge is the sequel to a remarkable first book. It's a year after Edmund and Cinder's life changed when they went back to their own worlds.
Can King Cinder save his people?
Edmund Carter
Edmund is having a bit more of a hard time transitioning from being a knight to the king and queen to a normal human child. He
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Field Trip
  • Glitch
  • Lightfall: The Girl & the Galdurian
  • The City on the Other Side
  • 5 Worlds Book 4: The Amber Anthem
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • Unplugged and Unpopular
  • Stargazing
  • Lily the Thief
  • Deadendia: The Broken Halo
Ethan Aldridge is a New York Times bestselling illustrator and author living in New York City. He is the creator of ESTRANGED, an urban fantasy graphic novel (HarperCollins 2018).

Ethan was born in Fayetteville, Arkansas and raised in a (very) small town in Utah, where his parents read him books about dragons and ghosts. Growing up, Ethan’s favorite things to draw were monsters and whatever dinosau

Estranged (2 books)
  • Estranged (Estranged, #1)

News & Interviews