Start by marking “The Changeling King (Estranged, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Changeling King (Estranged, #2)

The Changeling King

(Estranged #2)

Enter a world of faerie magic and epic adventure in this spellbinding sequel to Estranged—a rich fantasy graphic novel perfect for fans of Amulet.

After years of pretending to be human, the changeling Edmund Carter has assumed his rightful role as Cinder, king of the World Below. But not everyone at the royal palace is happy about his return.

Meanwhile, Ed is adjusting to human life in
Published October 1st 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Changeling King, please sign up.
Ethan Aldridge So far, just the two are planned. But I do have ideas kicking around my sketchbooks for more, so we'll see what the future holds!

Start your review of The Changeling King (Estranged, #2)
Toya
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As soon as I finished Estranged , I couldn’t wait to pick up The Changeling King and re-immerse myself into this beautifully rich fantasy world that Ethan Aldridge has created.

King Cinder is still trying to adjust to his royal obligations as king of the Fae in the World Below. As to be expected, he must oversee the council meetings, which usually end in the goblins and Fae wanting to slaughter each other on site. While these meetings are utterly frustrating, one thing has become c
Ashley
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this world. ❤
Nick
I'm not as enamored of the artwork as some readers are, but the story was excellent. I was a tad concerned about the royal lineage, based on what was shown in the story. I mean, if the young king is both gay and involved with a different species, there might be problems, based on the way the elite fay react to everything else. That is not a criticism of the story, but is something that this volume, at least, didn't mention or resolve.
Also, what the heck was that shield? Wishes in this world rea
Sandra Stedge
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I’m totally enamored by this world below and all the beautiful (and ugly) creatures. I’m so happy to see the storyline isn’t complete and can’t wait for more.
VL
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, the art is just perfect. I mean I read comics all the time but this art is beautiful. Second, the story is also fantastic. If you haven't read the first Estranged, get to it and then order this one.
Megan
HELLO, THIS SERIES CONTINUES TO BE MY FAVORITE GRAPHIC NOVELS EVER OF ALL TIME OH MY GOOOODDDDD I LOVE THIS SO MUCH. JUST READ THESE BOOKS THEY ARE SO BEAUTIFUL I'M CRYING.

I know I rhapsodized repeatedly about Estranged last year–it’s still my favorite graphic novel of all time. The sequel is just as spectacular as the first. I read it in one gulp and then went back immediately and reread it in sips and savors. I almost can’t write a review because what can I say other than I just lo
Kylie
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
4.5 stars!
This was a wonderful sequel. I wasn’t sure at first if I was going to like it as much as the first one. Parts of it felt kind of forced and I was hoping it wasn’t going to be like that throughout the whole book. I was pleasantly surprised.
The storyline picked right up after the first book and it was pretty action packed through the whole book. I liked learning more about the Below and it was told in a way that didn’t feel like information dumping. I liked the new characters
Babsidi
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adore this series. Book two is lovely--great character progression, freaking gorgeous art, and a continuing storyline that both gets me psyched for what's to come and manages to give a comfortable sense of conclusion that's not a cheap cliffhanger. Extra points for the parents being told what's happened with their kids, not just left to guess about the sudden 180 degree shift in their son's personality. Extra, extra points for depictions of the Queen and Ed's relationship as something messed u ...more
Kristen
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Estranged because I love high fantasy and rarely see it in graphic form--and The Changeling King is a wonderful follow-up. I loved seeing all my favorite characters again, and there are a few fun (and a few not-so-nice) additions. The illustrations are fantastic, and there are lots of original creatures and magical elements to make the story unique and interesting.

Like the first book, the story comes to a satisfying close, but the final image definitively leaves things open for a
Panda Incognito
This book's family focus is unique for a fantasy graphic novel, and I appreciate its unusual take and positive messages. Even though I finished this last night, I still can't think of any other story where parents go to a fantasy world with their kids, and I love that element of this book. Even though parts of this story have too much frenetic action for my tastes, this book is well-plotted, has good twists, and ties up the book's adventure by the end, throwing in a stunning cliffhanger twist wh ...more
Karen (BaronessBookTrove)
I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy from the Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Estranged #2 The Changeling King by Ethan M. Aldridge is the sequel to a remarkable first book. It's a year after Edmund and Cinder's life changed when they went back to their own worlds.
Can King Cinder save his people?
Edmund Carter
Edmund is having a bit more of a hard time transitioning from being a knight to the king and queen to a normal human child. He is a great character thatreview.Estranged
Alexandra
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5*

Full review here: https://www.allcharacterswanted.com/b...

*Thank you Wunderkind PR for sending me these copies of Estranged and Estranged 2: The Changeling King in exchange for an honest review!*

Although many of my students read graphic novels, I'm not often drawn towards them personally. However, when Wunderkind PR reached out regarding this children's series, I was really excited to read them, specifically the newest book in the series: The Changeling King. Following up on the switched-at-birth s
Travis
I remember thinking that Estranged was leaving itself open for a sequel, especially with the faerie king and queen running around transformed as rats (view spoiler). So, I was happy and not very surprised when I found this book. Sadly, I didn't like it quite as much as the first volume, though it is a good book.

The
Lorraine
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a good sequel to Estranged. It picks up right after the first book, so if you haven't read the first you probably won't know whats going on at first. King Cinder is adjusting to life in the World Below. Not everyone is happy about his return or the fact that he is now king. There is a crisis that he must deal with - magic is getting weaker in this world and he must find a way to stop this from happening or magic may go away forever.

Ed is trying adjust to the World Above. His
Spunkeydoodle
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I adore this series.

One thing the changling has going for it is those beautiful watercolor illustration. They give a richeness to the fey world and I can appreciate how hard it must have been to watercolor every single panel and page.

As far as plot, it's a great continuation of the first book. In it we see the consequences of what previously happened and how it affected the characters and relationships. I'd like to give a HUGE kudos to the author for including the parents as main characters. I
Zelsh
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect comic for all the fantasy lovers out there, I swear.

I already had high expectations going into this one, but the story is faster, even more action-packed and more emotional than the first one. I love the whole family here and the dynamics between the siblings. I love the magic, the subtle romance, all the cast of characters but, above all, the art is so amazing. Every drawing is so beautiful and unique, it's such a pleasure to read.

I like and enjoy this series
Angela
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ed and Cinder are back in this charming new adventure between worlds. The two brothers struggle in their new roles and lives, yet are brought back together again when a new threat emerges as the magic in the below world begins dying out. Can the two of them, with the help of their family and friends, save the below world once again?

More than just beautiful illustrations and a moving story, The Changeling King helps us embrace who we are, and teaches us the importance of friendship, f
Rebecca
Perfect fall reading, especially for October. I love the art. It has a very Brian Froud aesthetic to it, and the story has a blend of Jim Henson and Guillermo Del Toro storytelling to it. I wouldn't mind a third book about the wild hunt and the two worlds no longer being separated. Also, the Fairy High Court and tithe for magic had a very Scottish folklore feel to it and was an interesting spin on concepts explored in the fairytale Tam Lin.
Alyssa
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: d-reads
Stunning art and captivating storyline. We stayed up late reading the day it arrived, and my 11 year old has already had two re-reads. While driving, we speculate on what the Estranged characters might get up to next... and we are already anxious for Ethan Aldridge to start work on a third book (fingers crossed).
Annabeth Chase
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Estranged the changeling king is amazing!!! I was counting down the days till it was out!!

king cinder the king of the below is still adjusting to being the king and living in the below. Ed is adjusting to his new human life. but when the magic in the below is starting to fade Alexis, cinder and Ed even there parents are ready to put magic back in its place...
Becca Gibbs
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Great sequel to the first book, but if there is not a third book to wrap up the series I will be upset. Too many things were left unresolved. I felt the ending was a bit rushed and wished it were more flushed out. And lastly, I didn't like how the parents were "written out" when things got tough for the family.
Ann
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rounding up to the full five stars because my son loved this book so much. The illustrations are gorgeous, and the characters are appealing and compelling. We are both very much looking forward to the next book in the series.
Ellen
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I'll give this one a 3.5 because it was a little bit better than the last one, but again, I think the art was the best part. The plot moved too quickly and the problems were all solved a bit too easily. The art though, man is it fantastic!
Sesana
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, fantasy
A great continuation from the previous volume, mostly addressing the emotional baggage that was left over. It also ends on much more of a cliffhanger, so hopefully there will be more volumes coming. There's some pretty big changes in this world that I'd like to see dealt with.
Elizabeth Mellen
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fantastic sequel, I was excited to dive back into this series, and this didn’t disappoint. I still love the art, and I enjoyed seeing the (now) complicated family dynamics and more of the Fae world.
Wem Todd
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Fawntine more than the world itself.

This book is such a fast but engaging read. I was enthralled from the moment I sat down to read. And it was over so fast! The art is absolutely incredible and the story is just amazing.
Mary
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This series is really well-written and fun. i love the art and the world-building. I cannot wait to see what happens next!
Brie
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy, graphic-novel
OH NO I read this sequel before the first volume! Laughing. To its credit I still followed along with everything in the beginning and loved the story and art!
Sadie Bee (Princess Pessimism)
Bernaard
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Fantastic and unbelievable the art blew me away once again.

• Stargazing
  • Miles Morales: Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Straight Out of Brooklyn
  • Rule of Capture: A Novel
  • Nova by Abnett & Lanning: The Complete Collection Vol. 1
  • Ordinary Girls
  • My Beautiful Enemy (The Heart of Blade Duology, #2)
  • Sunny Rolls the Dice
  • Amber Green Takes Manhattan
  • The Only Child
  • The Coyotes of Carthage
  • Separation Anxiety
  • Love Her or Lose Her (Hot & Hammered, #2)
  • The Worst Best Man
Ethan Aldridge is a New York Times bestselling illustrator and author living in New York City. He is the creator of ESTRANGED, an urban fantasy graphic novel (HarperCollins 2018).

Ethan was born in Fayetteville, Arkansas and raised in a (very) small town in Utah, where his parents read him books about dragons and ghosts. Growing up, Ethan’s favorite things to draw were monsters and what

Estranged (2 books)
  • Estranged (Estranged, #1)