Start by marking “Up: My Life’s Journey to the Top of Everest” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Up: My Life’s Journey ...

Ben Fogle

Up: My Life’s Journey to the Top of Everest

My eyes lifted to the horizon and the unmistakable snowy outline of Everest.

Everest, the mountain of my childhood dreams. A mountain that has haunted me my whole life. A mountain I have seen hundreds of times in photographs and films but never in real life.

In April 2018, seasoned adventurer Ben Fogle and Olympic cycling gold medallist Victoria Pendleton, along with mountai
Published October 18th 2018 by William Collins

To ask other readers questions about Up, please sign up.
Suse You don't. Goodreads is a socializing site for keeping track and making reviews of books you've read, finding book recommendations and meeting other…moreYou don't. Goodreads is a socializing site for keeping track and making reviews of books you've read, finding book recommendations and meeting other readers. If the book is available in any format (paperback, hardcover, digital, etc.), there will be an Amazon button that will take you to the book on their site where you can then elect to make a purchase. Goodreads is owned by Amazon.(less)

Paul
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, travel-books
As Fogle sat down at the table for a dinner at the Festival of Speed at Goodwood, he noticed that the space next to him was empty. The name said Victoria Gardener, someone he had never heard of. About 30 minutes later the person who was occupying that seat ran in and sat down. Turns out he had heard of her, but she was better known as Victoria Pendleton, the multiple gold medal-winning cyclist. They got chatting and hatched a plan together to head up the highest mountain on Earth. To do this Fog ...more
Helen
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ann
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow what a book! , THE best book I’ve read all year, and I read a lot of books!.
A big admirer of Ben Fogle and an avid follower of all things Everest, including having completed the Everest Base Camp Trek two years ago myself, this was always going to be a book I’d want to read but it way surpassed even my expectations. I started this book at 2pm and here I’m writing my review at 9.30pm and really sad to be finished it. This is not just a book about Ben’s Everest challenge. It’s an engaging read
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An incredibly inspiring read that I could put down. You experience a range of emotions from sadness, joy to fear! Ben writes like he is speaking to you and you feel like you are taking every step on the journey to the top of Everest with him. I loved Marina’s parts too where you realise just what an effect this expedition had on her and the children.
Highly recommend this book.
Keep looking up!
Helen White
I like Ben, he's good for the armchair adventurer. He's been on a boat, to the pole and now up a hill. That's downplaying all of it. Climbing Everest is his childhood dream and this book tells of his plans and prep and then the frustrations and dangers of actually doing it.
Ben writes very much as I imagine he speaks to himself - very positive but with a philosophical rambling. It's this that makes the book quite repetitive. At one point I had to check that I hadn't accidentally skipped back 20
Katie
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was excellent.

It was bought for me as a gift and I wasn’t sure I’d like it, I really like Ben Fogle on New Lives in the Wild but I’m not normally keen on autobiographical books. I thoroughly enjoyed it though.

I like the mix of Ben talking about the expedition, Marina talking about it from her view and then the flashes into Ben’s life and views. It had me in tears at some points and on the edge of my seat at others and I found some really inspirational quotes in there as well. In fact
Nick Parkes
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The person who risks nothing, does nothing, is nothing!
Just keep looking UP!

Ben Fogle has long been an inspiration for me. A constant face on BBC with incredible series on nature and stories of non-conformity living. Someone I can relate to slightly, although his feats are incredible. I have taken risks with my lifestyle and I have always felt alive because of them.

Up, follows Ben's story as he attempts to summit Mount Everest. The book highlights the drastic range of emotions and demons which
Juliette
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant - such joy and sadness in one book with lots of food for thought on how to live our lives!! Inspirational
Martha Brindley
A good account of a fascinating journey to Everest. I really like Ben Fogle and he has an amazing life. His wife must be terrified when he travels! Thank you Net Galley for my copy.
Valerie
Fascinating and thrilling adventure

"It was just before 8pm on the night that we attempted to climb to the top of the world."

I loved this book. Ben Fogle, an English broadcaster, writer and 'adventurer' had long dreamed of climbing Everest. After losing his third son late in the pregnancy, he decided to live life to the fullest and make his dream a reality. Even though he had very little mountaineering experience, he got together with Victoria Pendleton, former Olympic cycler, and partnered wit
Jenny Arnold
I came back from our wonderful holiday full of wanderlust. I found myself unable to settle to reading any works of fiction on my current list. What I wanted to read about was travel. Seeing the Atlas Mountains and meeting some of the Berber people; the original, indigenous inhabitants of Morocco, had filled me with a new curiosity.

In a reading hiatus, I scanned the bestseller lists for something to quickly fill my reading gap,and without too much thought, ordered a couple of books from Amazon.
Heather
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed the majority of this book, it was fascinating to read about the endeavor of Ben Fogle's expedition up Mount Everest. I love the detail about the climb and the images he conjures of the scenary and how to cope throughout his time. I had already watched the TV programme, and follow Ben on Instagram, so the downfall of Victoria Pendleton was already known, but still shocking to read.

I have to confess to skimming some parts of the book, there's a big section about risk and some
Julia Doherty
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was hooked on this book from the very first paragraph. Some of the emotion throughout the read is so raw, from both Ben and his wife. I listened to the audio version which is read by Ben and his wife, and that gives the book a deeper connection. You can hear the emotion in both of their voices as they tell their stories and not just the Everest story. If you are an adventurous person, but also a parent then this book with resonate with you on many different levels.

I may venture to basecamp on
Roxy
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Don’t live life through a screen. Life is for bikes and hikes, not likes and swipes.”

My husband and I have followed Ben Fogle’s work for years, and I decided to buy his book after we attended his awe inspiring tour - Tales From the Wilderness.

A moving and inspiring read that has given me plenty of food for thought. Just the thing to read if you’re feeling stuck in a rut or just fancy being an armchair adventurer!
Lucia Gannon
Interesting read about Ben Fogle's Everest ascent interspersed with reflections of failure and success and the importance of family. With a couple of contributions from his wife, Marina, who stayed home to mind his two children but who supported his endeavours all the way. I particularly liked her email to him (which she did not send) when it looked like he might not make it. Sparked enough interest for me to order "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer, as my next adventure read.
Daniel
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I throughly enjoyed reading both Ben’s and Marina’s journey to the roof of the world. I found their book very inspirational and thought provoking. I especially liked the addition of Marinas point of view from home and that she was on as much as a journey as Ben. A big congratulations to Ben for reaching the summit, what a incredible achievement. Overall I would wholeheartedly recommend this book.
Sharon Howle
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book touched me in a way nothing else I've read has. It's inspiring heart warming and very down to earth honest.
It is a fantastic read well it must be it took me a day and a half beginning to end...
Kerry Bratton
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing read. I’ve always been fascinated by Everest and have read a few book covering uneventful and eventful summit attempts but this has to be one of the best by far. Laughed and cried over some of it. Left me with a sense of “what if”
Louise
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-finished
What a book! I’m a huge fan of Ben Fogle and this book was simultaneously emotive, exciting, adventurous and heart-wrenching.
Rachel Welton
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring and enjoyable read.
Claire O'Sullivan
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
Enjoyable, quick read prior to my trip to the Himalayas
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not what a normally read but really enjoyed this book. Ben is an inspiration to a lot of people. True adventurer glad he shared his journey with us.
Rich Briers
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable read. Inspiring, exiting. A great account of the hardships of high mountain climbs.
Marize De Klerk
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventurr, true-life
What is there not to like about Ben Fogle.... Im probably one of his biggest fans!!!!
A McEniry
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read

Inspiring .... what a simple but unbelievably awesome read. Could not put it down cant wait to see the film :-)
Lauren Dowding
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What another compelling read and achievement from Ben Fogle!
Elliot
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent in parts, particularly when describing the technical elements of the climb and the physiological effects of altitude, but Ben persists with uncomfortable attempts to justify his childhood dream to summit. His time would have been better spent filling in some gaps in his story, such as the descent and return to base camp which are both conspicuously missing. Marina added a lot and does cover Bens back by noting that altitude sickness made this a tough book to write. With more time and a ...more
Kate Olson
Mar 12, 2019
David Thanes
Apr 18, 2019
Lucy
Feb 26, 2019
Ben Fogle is a presenter, writer and adventurer. His achievements include racing 160 miles across the Sahara desert in the notorious Marathon Des Sables.

He has rowed the Atlantic Ocean in 49 days and crossed Antarctica in a foot race to the South Pole.
He has presented numerous programmes including BBC’s Animal Park, Wild In Africa, Countryfile, Crufts, One Man and His Dog and Extreme Dreams.

He wri
“Without travel, without adventure and without wilderness, I am nothing.” 0 likes
“Success is stumbling from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” 0 likes