Start by marking “To Be Honest (#lovehim #3)” as Want to Read:
To Be Honest (#lovehim #3)

To Be Honest

(#lovehim #2)

Angus Reid is pretty sure he's being catfished.

After spending the last half of junior year talking online to the guy of his dreams, Angus wants to meet. In person. So when Scotty brushes it off with excuses of not being ready, red flags go up.

Determined to either catch Scotty out, or take a shot at real love, Angus embarks on a summer road trip with his adorkable roommate
Published November 15th 2018 by May Books

To ask other readers questions about To Be Honest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Be Honest

Mwanamali
The problem with this book is that it came after some blockbuster lgbt YA books. It felt like a massive let down. It was boring, dragged on for too long in some parts and copied the electronic communication trope from every other book. Hell, even Fifty Shades used this. My favourite exhibition of it was in Simon v Homo Sapiens agenda. But here it was just- blergh. SM James is someone to watch out for though because she has material, she just needs a better tailor or sth. The ending could have be ...more
Candyce Kirk
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
First of all thanks to the author for providing an ARC for me to read and review!
To Be Honest is the second book in the #lovehim series, but can be read as a standalone. I have to start off by saying that I love the cover of this book! It's different than most covers these days, but I love the drawing and the little details.

Angus met Scotty on a forum a few months ago and felt an instant connection. He really wants to meet Scotty, but Scotty isn't ready. This makes Angus worried, is Scotty reall
Elaine White

S.M. James

★★★★★
280 Pages
POV: 1st person, present tense
Would I read it again?: Of course!
Genre: YA, LGBT, Contemporary, Romance, Humour
Pairings: MM
Warnings: catfishing, internalised homophobia, homophobia, suicide, mental health, bullying, assault

Wow! I barely know what to say.

This series is...beautiful, charming, fun, romantic, and speaks to the hopeless romantic in me. Yet, it also manag
Karen
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful coming of age story by S.M. James.

I love how authentic and well-rounded her characters are. Angus, Tyler, Anah and even Link are not “too wise for their age” mini-adults, but genuine young people trying to figure out who they are and what they want their future to be like.

I had the hardest time not skipping ahead to the end to see what the deal was with Scotty. But I refrained and read the book from beginning to end, no peeking, like the grown-up that I am. Scotty remains a mys
Lucia
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gianni Holmes
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
S.M James reminded me of my love for YA books. Put this together with MM romance and I am hooked. I loved the first book, but this was an amazing read! I loved every bit of it. There's so much energy and emotions between the characters.I could feel their connection, and that means the world to me. I love the sweet moments, love the bonding, the getting-to-know-you. It has just the right pace, the right heat level. An amazing book that I highly recommend for anyone.
Samantha Ortega
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
FR- Alors alors.... alors j'avais déjà énooooooormément aimé le tome 1 et j'esperai que ça serai le cas pour celui ci également. J'étais un peu partagée à l'idée de ne pas retrouvée Archie et Yarran mais j'avais également hâte de rencontrer Angus et Scottie.. ou Tyler. Alors j'ai eu un peu peur, parce que je n'aime pas les triangles amoureux et je n'avais pas envie que ce roman en soit un et , désolée pour le spoil, mais ce n'est pas ça. J'ai énormément aimé ce tome également.

Je me suis tout de
Buy Link:
Reviewer: Teresa Fallen Angel
Blurb:
# lovehim 2
Angus Reid is pretty sure he's being catfished.

SD Jericho
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
SM James writes these incredible books with these multifaceted characters that just speak to you from the first moment and don’t let go, even after you’ve turned the very last page. Her stories and the people who fill it up are so sweet, so cluelessly charming, so endearing, so real and so beautifully flawed.
Angus, you are a contradiction of preconceived ideas - a kind, caring, sensitive jock – a boy finding a way to live his life on his terms in the world around him. Angus is ready to experienc
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

Part coming of age drama and part YA romance, this is the story of Angus as he embarks on a cross country roadtrip to meet his online boyfriend. During the journey, Angus learns a great deal about himself, his friends and their relationships.

This is a slow, introspective story. A scholarship kid at an expensive private school and a gay football player in a team of straight guys, Angus is used to being an outsider and it is onl
Shel
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Predictable but sweet

I’ve not read anything by this author before, but I was given the chance to read a copy for free before the book was published and as someone who likes YA and M/M books this seemed like a great book for me.
It started off really well and I was hooked instantly, I loved the way the author broke the chapters up with the emails between Gus and Scotty.
Unfortunately it went a bit down hill for me during the road trip - Anah really irritated me, basically the whole way through the
Nina Campbell
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The imagery the author used by quoting first person chat messages to tell the characters story was captivating which made story very unique, and interesting. To Be Honest by SM James is a coming of age story of a gay teenage boy that starts off with an attention getting conversation of an online chat session between two people far apart by distance but close together spiritually by sharing similar situational life experiences. The author’s first person portrayal of the main character Angus in op ...more
Chaos Book Reviews.
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Angus Reid is not your typical high school jock. Yes he plays football, but his out and proud. Everyone at his private bording school adores him, but Angus hasn't found love. Not exactly. This is an epic cross county journey of finding love & what better way to do that then with the people that mean everything. There will be drama, there will be passion, but will his online friend be the man he needs or is Angus indeed being catfished.
The thing I loved most about this book was the writing,
Qukatheg
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-copy
I received this book for free through Voracious Readers Only.

To Be Honest is a lighthearted YA romance with lots of teen drama thrown in.
Angus Reid goes on a road trip with his roommate and crush Tyler, best friend Anah, and her boyfriend Link. The goal is to visit San Francisco along the way to confront Scotty, Angus' online friend and other crush, who has been adamant he is not ready to meet irl.

I really enjoy road trip stories, and this one was great! I just loved the characters and all the d
Terri
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Angus was a wonderful main character, with realistic wishes and dreams. He had good friends and a supportive father. I loved that his boarding school classmates didn't treat him differently because he wasn't rich or because he was gay. Angus was torn between his feelings for his straight roommate Tyler and his online friend Scotty. Tyler's mixed messages kept Angus infatuated and confused, which had the potential to mess up a future he might have with Scotty. A road trip teste ...more
Valerie
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Although I haven't read a YA book in a while, To Be Honest took me by surprise. It's a great coming of age story with funny and instantly relatable characters and a great road trip thrown in. Angus has been chatting online to Scotty from the Bay Area and he wants to meet because he feels a connection to the man. All the while, he's fighting his attraction to his roommate, Tyler, who agrees to go on the road trip with him. The characters, especially Angus, are really sweet and I loved getting to ...more
Pontiki
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Angus and Tyler are roommates, friends, and co-road-trippers. Their friend Anah and her boyfriend round out the gang. Reason for road trip-to meet Angus’ online crush, Scotty, who won’t tell Angus who he is.

Although it’s obvious throughout, its sweet what Angus notices about Tyler, how they’re drawn together. The heavy parts are unfortunately true to life, and hopefully, the tragedy of homophobia disappears with each passing year in our world, but not likely that fast.

Anah is a bit immature, a
Deli
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
"To be Honest" is the second book in the #lovehim series. It can be read as standalone, however it has a wonderfull short prequel ("No Big Deal") that introduces the characters very nicely and gives a lot of inside about the feelings and motivations behind Angus and Tyler, i would absolutely suggest everyone to read beforehand.
The title of this book is absolutely fitting, its about being honest and finding one self, and to honestly open up to others and accepting others and oneself just the way
Kathryn Manzella
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tyler and Angus are adorable together. I love their connection... the interactions between them speaks of intimacy and love, even when just friends. The journey they take, both physically and emotionally, is fun, emotional and absolutely perfect. It's a story of embracing your chance at love, learning to love and doing what it takes to keep your love no matter what others may think.

I received an advanced reader's copy of the book and I am voluntarily leaving my honest review and recommendation.
Jeff
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
... This is An Awesome Read. If you enjoyed a certain other coming of age gay romance that was in theater earlier this year, you'll enjoy this book as well. Even if you haven't been exposed to that other story, give this one a try if you like romance and/ or coming of age and/ or road trip stories - this is a solid entry into all of the above categories, that happens to involve two guys at a prep school falling for each other. Very much enjoyed this book, excellent vacation/ beach read (which is ...more
Snjez
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I guessed the ending right from the start, which was a bit disappointing. I was kind of hoping for the author to prove me wrong, but it didn't happen.

Nevertheless, it was a beautifully written story with characters that felt very real. I adored Agnus, I loved how open and honest he was. I also liked Tyler, he was a sweet character, but (view spoiler)

Although predictable, this story drew me in from the very first page and I had a hard time putt
Kathryn Manzella

Miriam Dumitra
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't quite expect how quickly this book drew me in. The characters were heartwarming, flawed, quirky, and unique, and the writing flowed so well I just wanted to keep reading. Angus' journey around the States feels grounded in the locations he visits, and the dialogue (and messages) add a wonderful flavour to the whole road trip.

This is the kind of book you stay up late to finish. Definitely recommend this read!
Tanya
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a cute YA story. I don't think I'd let 4 17yrs old on a cross country adventure however guess when you go to boarding school, maturity is different.

I love how the author portrays the 2 main characters with their different life events and thoughts in regards to their sexuality. We see them struggle separately but also together but even when things blow up and decisions have to be made, love conquers all and finds a way.
ASierra
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As Addictive as the previous #lovehim novels.
Its really easy to fall in love with the characters and it leaves you wanting more!

It’s basically the teen movie you always love watching over and over with gay characters!

I really recommend it if you are looking for a fun read, amazing characters and a romance sprinkled with glitter and dust!
TamaraLynne Stewart
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was asked for my honest opinion after I read the book free from the author this is my second book I've read from this author and this series of books that connect so very slightly I enjoyed reading this book it was a good love story with an adventure I will be reading the next one cause now I can't get enough 👊
Vicky Quenault
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a very sweet story. It contains love, friendship, confusion and a road trip.
Its a little too fairy tale romance for me, but that’s just my personal preference for darker grittier stories.
I would recommend this book for a younger reader, high school age students would be the perfect audience.
I received a complimentary copy from VRO in return for an honest review.
Tamar Elmensdorp-lijzenga
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Irissska
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
It was quite cliche but still sweet. Sometimes too sweet. 2.5 stars.
Marina
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was really, really cute! I just love Angus and Tyler even if Tyler messed up. And the ending was absolutely perfect! I want more!
« previous 1 3 next »

#lovehim (4 books)
  • That Feeling When (#lovehim, #1)
  • In Case You Missed It (#lovehim, #5)
  • Not Gonna Lie: LGBTQ Enemies to Lovers Romance (The #lovehim Series Book 7)