Start by marking “To Be Honest (#lovehim #2)” as Want to Read:
To Be Honest (#lovehim #2)

To Be Honest

(#lovehim #2)

Angus Reid is pretty sure he's being catfished.

After spending the last half of junior year talking online to the guy of his dreams, Angus wants to meet. In person. So when Scotty brushes it off with excuses of not being ready, red flags go up.

Determined to either catch Scotty out, or take a shot at real love, Angus embarks on a summer road trip with his adorkable roommate
Published November 15th 2018 by May Books

To ask other readers questions about To Be Honest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Be Honest

Start your review of To Be Honest (#lovehim #2)
Mwanamali
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtqiap, young-adult
The problem with this book is that it came after some blockbuster lgbt YA books. It felt like a massive let down. It was boring, dragged on for too long in some parts and copied the electronic communication trope from every other book. Hell, even Fifty Shades used this. My favourite exhibition of it was in Simon v Homo Sapiens agenda. But here it was just- blergh. SM James is someone to watch out for though because she has material, she just needs a better tailor or sth. The ending could have be ...more
Pablito
So now that I know who Angus' two love interests are, I want to re-read this sweet ache of a slow-burn, high school romance for the clues I missed (that must have been right in front of my face)!

If, like me, you love the intrigue of masked-identity plots, even when the secret lover is not so hard to uncover, To Be Honest is a road trip you'll want to take.

Angus' longing is made palpable in the capable hands of S.M. James. And the emotions . . . even the disguised ones . . . between four friend
Candyce Kirk
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
First of all thanks to the author for providing an ARC for me to read and review!
To Be Honest is the second book in the #lovehim series, but can be read as a standalone. I have to start off by saying that I love the cover of this book! It's different than most covers these days, but I love the drawing and the little details.

Angus met Scotty on a forum a few months ago and felt an instant connection. He really wants to meet Scotty, but Scotty isn't ready. This makes Angus worried, is Scotty reall
Amy Aislin
Okay, so this was adorable. Angus and Tyler were exceptionally cute, although they're both teenagers so they're not exempt from making dumb teenage decisions. But they do what they can to make up for their mistakes, and I adored their relationship.

I wasn't crazy about Angus's best friend, Anah. She went from "Tyler's stringing you along" to "Tyler's gay and totally into you" from one chapter to the next and she's very much not a good influence on Angus. Unfortunately, she was in a lot of the nov
Amanda
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a great story! It brought through any real an array of emotions but Angus and Tyler we're precious .
anna
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5*

This was adorkable smh

I found and picked this book up on a total whim because, not gonna lie, the synopsis made it sound a bit Simon vs. the homo sapiens agenda -ish, aka like something I would absolutely love. And you know what? I did.

In the beginning, it does give off strong svtha vibes with the online messages and the pining over someone you have never actually met and them not being ready to reveal their identity. Reading on, though, this became its own story, which I loved.

This story i
Karen
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful coming of age story by S.M. James.

I love how authentic and well-rounded her characters are. Angus, Tyler, Anah and even Link are not “too wise for their age” mini-adults, but genuine young people trying to figure out who they are and what they want their future to be like.

I had the hardest time not skipping ahead to the end to see what the deal was with Scotty. But I refrained and read the book from beginning to end, no peeking, like the grown-up that I am. Scotty remains a mys
Elaine White

S.M. James

★★★★★
280 Pages
POV: 1st person, present tense
Would I read it again?: Of course!
Genre: YA, LGBT, Contemporary, Romance, Humour
Pairings: MM
Warnings: catfishing, internalised homophobia, homophobia, suicide, mental health, bullying, assault

Wow! I barely know what to say.

This series is...beautiful, charming, fun, romantic, and speaks to the hopeless romantic in me. Yet, it also mana
Lucia
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gianni Holmes
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
S.M James reminded me of my love for YA books. Put this together with MM romance and I am hooked. I loved the first book, but this was an amazing read! I loved every bit of it. There's so much energy and emotions between the characters.I could feel their connection, and that means the world to me. I love the sweet moments, love the bonding, the getting-to-know-you. It has just the right pace, the right heat level. An amazing book that I highly recommend for anyone.
Elin
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I stumbled on to this one and though I rarely read YA anymore, it made me curious. I also read some of the reviews on Amazon and got the twist spoiled for me, so I'd say refrain from that.

It's a very sweet and at times frustrating coming of age book, with all of Angus's feelings and thoughts. We only have his perspective to go from and his perception of situations and people isn't always correct.
His friendship with Tyler is lovely and while I think Anah is a good friend, she is a bit exhausting
travis
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Terri
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Angus was a wonderful main character, with realistic wishes and dreams. He had good friends and a supportive father. I loved that his boarding school classmates didn't treat him differently because he wasn't rich or because he was gay. Angus was torn between his feelings for his straight roommate Tyler and his online friend Scotty. Tyler's mixed messages kept Angus infatuated and confused, which had the potential to mess up a future he might have with Scotty. A road trip teste ...more
Snjez
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I guessed the ending right from the start, which was a bit disappointing. I was kind of hoping for the author to prove me wrong, but it didn't happen.

Nevertheless, it was a beautifully written story with characters that felt very real. I adored Agnus, I loved how open and honest he was. I also liked Tyler, he was a sweet character, but (view spoiler)

Although predictable, this story drew me in from the very first page and I had a hard time put
Tanya
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a cute YA story. I don't think I'd let 4 17yrs old on a cross country adventure however guess when you go to boarding school, maturity is different.

I love how the author portrays the 2 main characters with their different life events and thoughts in regards to their sexuality. We see them struggle separately but also together but even when things blow up and decisions have to be made, love conquers all and finds a way.
Teresa
Buy Link:
Reviewer: Teresa Fallen Angel
Blurb:
# lovehim 2
Angus Reid is pretty sure he's being catfished.

Cassandra
4 stars
I'm coming to like this series (and this author's writing) more and more. This book was already a step up from the first book and felt a lot more rounded, both plot and character wise.

It's actually not a series in the traditional sense but rather stand-alone stories that are (very) loosely linked by one character knowing (or sometimes only knowing about) another character in one of the other books. Here it is Angus, who goes to the same boarding school as Archie from the first book. And a
SD Jericho
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
SM James writes these incredible books with these multifaceted characters that just speak to you from the first moment and don’t let go, even after you’ve turned the very last page. Her stories and the people who fill it up are so sweet, so cluelessly charming, so endearing, so real and so beautifully flawed.
Angus, you are a contradiction of preconceived ideas - a kind, caring, sensitive jock – a boy finding a way to live his life on his terms in the world around him. Angus is ready to experienc
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

Part coming of age drama and part YA romance, this is the story of Angus as he embarks on a cross country roadtrip to meet his online boyfriend. During the journey, Angus learns a great deal about himself, his friends and their relationships.

This is a slow, introspective story. A scholarship kid at an expensive private school and a gay football player in a team of straight guys, Angus is used to being an outsider and it is onl
Shel
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Predictable but sweet

I’ve not read anything by this author before, but I was given the chance to read a copy for free before the book was published and as someone who likes YA and M/M books this seemed like a great book for me.
It started off really well and I was hooked instantly, I loved the way the author broke the chapters up with the emails between Gus and Scotty.
Unfortunately it went a bit down hill for me during the road trip - Anah really irritated me, basically the whole way through the
Nina Campbell
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The imagery the author used by quoting first person chat messages to tell the characters story was captivating which made story very unique, and interesting. To Be Honest by SM James is a coming of age story of a gay teenage boy that starts off with an attention getting conversation of an online chat session between two people far apart by distance but close together spiritually by sharing similar situational life experiences. The author’s first person portrayal of the main character Angus in op ...more
Chaos Book Reviews.
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Angus Reid is not your typical high school jock. Yes he plays football, but his out and proud. Everyone at his private bording school adores him, but Angus hasn't found love. Not exactly. This is an epic cross county journey of finding love & what better way to do that then with the people that mean everything. There will be drama, there will be passion, but will his online friend be the man he needs or is Angus indeed being catfished.
The thing I loved most about this book was the writing, S.M
Qukatheg
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-copy
I received this book for free through Voracious Readers Only.

To Be Honest is a lighthearted YA romance with lots of teen drama thrown in.
Angus Reid goes on a road trip with his roommate and crush Tyler, best friend Anah, and her boyfriend Link. The goal is to visit San Francisco along the way to confront Scotty, Angus' online friend and other crush, who has been adamant he is not ready to meet irl.

I really enjoy road trip stories, and this one was great! I just loved the characters and all the d
Valerie
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Although I haven't read a YA book in a while, To Be Honest took me by surprise. It's a great coming of age story with funny and instantly relatable characters and a great road trip thrown in. Angus has been chatting online to Scotty from the Bay Area and he wants to meet because he feels a connection to the man. All the while, he's fighting his attraction to his roommate, Tyler, who agrees to go on the road trip with him. The characters, especially Angus, are really sweet and I loved getting to ...more
Pontiki
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Angus and Tyler are roommates, friends, and co-road-trippers. Their friend Anah and her boyfriend round out the gang. Reason for road trip-to meet Angus’ online crush, Scotty, who won’t tell Angus who he is.

Although it’s obvious throughout, its sweet what Angus notices about Tyler, how they’re drawn together. The heavy parts are unfortunately true to life, and hopefully, the tragedy of homophobia disappears with each passing year in our world, but not likely that fast.

Anah is a bit immature, a
Deli
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
"To be Honest" is the second book in the #lovehim series. It can be read as standalone, however it has a wonderfull short prequel ("No Big Deal") that introduces the characters very nicely and gives a lot of inside about the feelings and motivations behind Angus and Tyler, i would absolutely suggest everyone to read beforehand.
The title of this book is absolutely fitting, its about being honest and finding one self, and to honestly open up to others and accepting others and oneself just the way
Kathryn Manzella
Tyler and Angus are adorable together. I love their connection... the interactions between them speaks of intimacy and love, even when just friends. The journey they take, both physically and emotionally, is fun, emotional and absolutely perfect. It's a story of embracing your chance at love, learning to love and doing what it takes to keep your love no matter what others may think.

I received an advanced reader's copy of the book and I am voluntarily leaving my honest review and recommendation.
Kathryn Manzella
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Jeff
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
... This is An Awesome Read. If you enjoyed a certain other coming of age gay romance that was in theater earlier this year, you'll enjoy this book as well. Even if you haven't been exposed to that other story, give this one a try if you like romance and/ or coming of age and/ or road trip stories - this is a solid entry into all of the above categories, that happens to involve two guys at a prep school falling for each other. Very much enjoyed this book, excellent vacation/ beach read (which is ...more
Jeb Holt
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
An adorable story I didn't want to put down because it was cute but also painfully frustrating.

The story is super cute and I wish the prequel would have been part of the book especially since they make references to events in it throughout the book.

Angus is also painfully unaware of what is going on around him to the point where it feels like you want to yell at the cheesie horror movie characters about how oblivious they're being, but overall it is a cute book I didn't want to stop reading.

• Lock & West
  • Ghosting You
  • There Goes Sunday School
  • A Surplus of Light
  • Project Hero
  • Let There Be Light (Twin Hearts, #1)
  • One Little Word (One More Thing, #1)
  • One Little Lie (One More Thing #2)
  • When Everything Is Blue
  • Why You Shouldn't Lend A Bad Boy Your Clothes
  • First Time (Second Chance, #0.5)
  • Chasing Chance (Gilcrest University Guys #1)
  • Date Me, Bryson Keller
  • Catching Chance (Gilcrest University Guys #2)
  • Ginjuh
  • Five Fake Dates
  • Yearning Young (Burning Britely, #2)
  • Gay Love and Other Fairy Tales

#lovehim (5 books)
  • That Feeling When (#lovehim, #1)
  • In Case You Missed It (#lovehim #3)
  • Not Gonna Lie (#lovehim #4)
  • For What It's Worth