Start by marking “Soft on Soft: #FatGirlsInLove” as Want to Read:
Soft on Soft: #FatGirlsInLove

Soft on Soft: #FatGirlsInLove

June Bana might post nearly daily makeup looks that gain thousands of likes but Real Life June has built a wall behind which she exists with her two cats.

But with messy feelings getting in a way of an early hermit life, June begins to realize that she wants more. She wants model/actress, Sunshine Reincarnated Selena Clarke. It doesn't hurt that Selena is amazing with cats
Published September 10th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Soft on Soft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soft on Soft

K.J. Charles
This romance feels like an antidote to a lot of things. It’s f/f with no homophobia against the MCs (and indeed diverse queer rep, all positive, with nonbinary and ace spectrum people, and one of the MCs is pan). It’s got two fat leads, one entirely happy with her body and one more anxious but no fatphobia. Both POC, one black, one Arab/Persian and a Muslim, and they’re allowed to be completely soft and happy with one another, without hurt and anger: racism and Islamophobia clearly exist in the ...more
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
Soft on Soft was indeed incredibly soft - it warded my anxiety attacks or helped me ride through them. And that's saying something.

- About two fat and queer women - Selena, a Black model/actress, and June, a Persian make-up artist - and their lovely slow-burn romance.
- This book is a slice-of-life; there isn't a distinct plot, but is centered on their budding relationship and the small but significant hoops and hurdles they overcome together.
- This is probably one of the most stress-free books I
mahana ✭
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much to the author for sending me an ARC! Preorder it on Amazon here! | Review also on my blog

Drop what you’re doing at this exact moment and preorder this on Kindle. You won’t regret it.

If there was one word I could use to describe this book, it would be: inclusive. Every sapphic individual looking for representation can find themselves in the pages of this book. I can’t explain how special it was for me, a plus sized, anxious, and bisexual teenager, to see someone like me in a h
Romie
I don't know how to explain how this made me feel, but basically I felt like I was always waiting for something to happen, I don't know.... this was indeed soft, but I think I'm not too good with books that are purely romance and nothing else. I also felt like it all happened too quickly and there was no transition between most chapters.

3.25
Nicole Field
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: demisexual, f-f
This is the story of a Middle Eastern anxious pansexual MC and a black extroverted demisexual LI. Both the prologue and the epilogue are written from Selena's point of view. All the rest is from June. And I loved June. She has anxiety, and yet reading the story from her was so damn comforting. The rep was honestly that good. Cathartic.

The romance between them develops quickly, with both of them having had long standing crushes on the other at the start of the story. What I liked, though, was th
Leah
What a sweet book! Em Ali definitely delivers on the promise of a soft, fluffy romance!

Read the full review on my blog!
Alexa
this was so sweet and soft it's gonna give me a toothache, and seriously I can't wait to see the cover

rating: 4.5 stars

RTC
Aleksandra
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-releases

Very cute and very soft and very sapphic!

Soft on Soft is a novella about two fat sapphic girls of color in a relationship. They have started dating in the beginning of the book and we see them dating and growing closer together & being super adorable together.

The novel is 100% romance focused, it was great to see the established couple on page and not the whole getting-together-by-the-end-of-book. I can definitely see myself rereading this soft precious romance when I’m in need of
Anna Banana
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poc-heroines, f-f

I love how diverse this book was but that's pretty much the only thing I loved about it.

The writing is...bad. Maybe there is potential but honestly this read like it was a very rough first draft that needed to be heavily edited.

There's also really no plot and the story in itself is very slow and kind of boring and I feel bad for saying that but I was sooo bored reading this. Maybe it's the way the 3rd person was written (mixed with the writing not being great IMO) but it was so hard t
Elke
so cute, so soft, so sapphic, so safe and queer and soft again. soft the whole time.
i am absolutely heartbroken that i didn't connect with the story and the characters as much as i wanted to. occasionally i stumbled over the writing, sometimes typo's or grammar, sometimes maybe the style. apart from that (and this too, i know, doesn't distract everyone) it is definitely an 'its not you its me' case. also the cover is amazing and also so soft! this romance novella is soft and kind and cute and s
Natalie
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is so aptly named because it really was the cutest and softest book ever right from the beginning! The mutual pining, my word *clutches chest*

Honestly, the fat girls in love book we need and deserve! Both MCs are fat queer girls of colour! (middle eastern pansexual MC + a fat black demisexual LI to be exact!) From the moment Em started talking about this book I was intrigued and so glad to finally start it.

This book delivers on all the squishy, adorable moments that make your heart soa
kory.
A soft, fluffy, angst-free F/F romance between a fat Middle Eastern/Persian pansexual makeup artist with anxiety (June) and a fat Black demisexual model/actress (Selena)? Hell yeah.

Content/trigger warnings for discussion of parent death, panic attacks, discussions of past ace antagonism,

Other rep in secondary characters: Selena's friend Joey is a Pakistani queer lady. Noor (married to Joey) is Black and non-binary and uses she/her pronouns. June's friend Shelby is non-binary and uses they/them p
Amy Lou
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute cute cute cute.
Julie Bozza
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Absolutely lovely story, lovely MCs, and all romance from start to finish. The story is inclusive in all kinds of lovely ways, which you'd expect (or at least hope for) when one of the MCs describes herself as "fat, black and queer" with absolutely no shame or defensiveness or bravado. Inclusive to the point of using they/their pronouns, either specifically for a couple of secondary characters or as the default for those we're not so familiar with, I couldn't quite decide. For me, it was a parti ...more
Em Ali
Jan 07, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: wrote
I am JEALOUS of Selena and June and I'm the mastermind who gave them that HEA...
Packy Pie
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
cutest goddamn book ever about two incredible, successful, adorable women of color building a friendship and falling in love almost simultaneously. i’ll say more in the review probably later on but for right now I’M JUST SO SOFT! 😍🤗
Marjo
THIS BOOK IS SO ADORABLE JFKSKSJDJDHSJAA I LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
(2.5 stars) This wasn't entirely my thing, but if you want a fluffy romance that's all about comfort and sweetness and going at your own pace, doing your own thing, and girlfriends supporting each other So Dang Much, you're going to love this.

Personally, I felt like there wasn't a ton of plot; it's more of an emotional arc. Being in a relationship scares June in the beginning, and the book is about how she and Selena work hard and are kind and understanding with each other to build a new relatio
Carolina
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

This book is fluff in text form. We have the introvert June, a fat, pan, Middle-Eastern Arab make-up artist, the anxious heroine I didn't know I needed. Then we have Selena, sunshine in the shape of a woman, a fat, black, demi model with a huge following on social media. The two meet occasionally on the job, and you can watch them flirt with each other.
Soft on Soft focuses on the development of June and Selena's relationship. The
Pallavi
I don't usually read soft and fluffy contemporary books. But if ever there was going to be a book to make me change my mind, it's this one.

For one, it's fluff but it's entirely realistic fluff. Maybe that's why I loved it so much and that's why it made me feel all mushy inside. There's an element of plausibility embedded into the story that is sometimes hard to find in fluff.

Let me just say June and Selena are easily some of my favourite contemporary characters (ever!) as is their relationship.
There are 81 instances of “soft” - if that doesn’t tell you everything...

Content notes: discussion of parent’s death (not explicit), anxiety, panic attack, on page sex in bonus chapter.

This truly is a soft, fluffy sapphic romance that just makes for happy little grins. Selena is a fat Black model and June is a fat Persian-Arab makeup artist. They’ve followed each other on social media, but when they meet when June does Selena’s makeup, romance begins to develop.

I loved all the positive and lovel
Chasia Lloyd
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An apt title

Soft on Soft is the perfect title for this sweet book. I read this at a slow pace, not wanting to end the goodness too soon. Anyone craving f/f romance where both women are WOC and fat needs this! There is also some fabulous queer friendships and adorable cats.

A nice bonus is that the explicit content is at the end, after the main story has ended AND it's clearly labelled.
The_Book_Queen
✦ Fat queer girls in love -- yes, please, more! Body positive, lovely descriptions of fat bodies

✦ Middle Eastern pansexual makeup artist (with anxiety -- can relate)

✦ Black demisexual model/actress

✦ Low conflict and heat (only one scene, which shows up at the very end of the book)

✦ Overall: just a very quick and cute read

✦ Again, I am sooo here for more fat MCs!

✦ Do wish the editing had been stronger on this one -- I was distracted by a lot of errors and kinda confusing sentences.

✦ BUT Em's voi
Felicia Davin
As the title promises, this is very soft. It's about two fat queer women of color falling in love and there is almost no conflict or tension in it. So if that sounds cozy, it might be for you! Personally, I like a little more tension/plot/conflict, whether internal or external, but I'm glad it exists, because it's very inclusive and everybody deserves to see somebody like them find a happy ending.
Bitterblue
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who read Knit One, Girl Two and want more
Very soft and fluffy, as advertised.

I like the notion that June never came out to her mother because it just wasn't necessary.
Sam
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was truly soft.
iam
Sep 14, 2018 marked it as to-read-owned
Shelves: f-f, lgbtqia, ownvoices
putting this on hold for now until it's re-released
Camilla
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5
Sas
Gosh, this is so cheesy and corny... it's almost too sweet. Call me non-romantic but I if this story continues in the same tone I might get cavities.

But it's really great in regards of gender and sexuality. I am really excited about the use of pronouns and how the author handles all things about the different identities of the characters.
Shafiq
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent, light read, flavored with giddy softness and wholesome feelings leaving you pondering where you might find similarity in your life.

In Em's book, SoS goes over topics hardly mentioned in the middle east considering the character's roots and often times yet to be taken seriously elsewhere. We see the protagonists bring light to these issues and what could be an appropriate response to them.

Despite being a novella and the topics revolving around it, Em carefully summons you in a fluf
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Em Ali grew up on TV and K-pop like many her generation. She learned a lot about how to be a hermit and not interact with people but she'd love to hear from readers through email! maliwrites2 at gmail dot com or social media.
“Selena S. Clarke (the S could stand for every adjective under the sun; Sweet; Sexy; Scrumptious) was everything one could imagine from an Instagram model that rose to power thanks to her honesty, grace, positivity and—June thought with a dreamy sigh—how knock out gorgeous she was.” 2 likes
“Selena had a soft pink wrap dress that hugged her wide hips, plumb belly and full chest. It left her shoulders bare and slightly glistening. June swallowed harshly. Uh-oh, let the thirst begin.” 2 likes