Start by marking “Superman: Camelot Falls, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Superman: Camelot Falls, Vol. 1

Superman: Camelot Falls, Vol. 1

(Camelot Falls #1)

A new hardcover collection featuring the best-selling SUPERMAN #654-658!

The Man of Steel has returned to Metropolis and must battle to rout Intergang out of Metropolis! He also faces trouble with Lois, looming problems involving Lana Lang, and a dangerous new discovery in Kazakhstan. Get ready for an action-packed saga that tears a swath across Eastern Europe!
Published July 1st 2008 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Superman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superman

Start your review of Superman: Camelot Falls, Vol. 1
Sam Quixote
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Kurt Busiek’s written a couple of great Superman books but unfortunately Camelot Falls ain’t one of them!

A 17th century wizard time-travels to the present to warn Superman that the future is grim if he keeps up being heroic. In a totally unconnected subplot, Supes has to punch a crappy Doomsday-knockoff before having to fight an even more one-dimensional baddie called Khyber. Deeeerivel? Yope – drivel indeed!

Busiek writes a great Lois and Clark and their characters were spot on in that opening
James DeSantis
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Another good, but could be great, superman story.

The start is Lois and Clark talking about their date night. Of course that can never go well as Clark is swamped with reports to do. Once he begins though it unravels that a dark force is coming to end him and the world. Before that though another creature pops up, similar to Doomsday but actually has a sad backstory that made him this way.

Good: I love the stuff with Lois and Clark. It's heartfelt, cute, and well told. It makes you root for them
Patrick
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it

I wouldn't call myself a Superman *fan* exactly. If we're talking straight-up Superhero stuff, I'm much more of a Batman sort of guy.

That said, everyone enjoys a good Superman story now and again. Most of the time I prefer stories about exceptional people doing their best in complicated situations, struggling against forces that threaten to overwhelm them. (Which is why I like to read about Batman, or Harry Dresden for that matter.) But sometimes it's nice to read a story where the hero is the
Artemy
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, dc
The first half of this volume was not bad at all. Busiek gets the characters of Clark and Lois like very few writers do, and even though the story itself was pretty basic and generic, it was still a joy to read because this Superman is just that good. Unfortunately, I didn’t like the titular Camelot Falls storyline that followed it. I’m generally not a big fan of dystopian post-apocalyptic settings and stories, which is kinda what this one was. But even worse, it barely featured Superman himself ...more
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Very confusing Superman story that really doesn't make any sense.
Devero
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Buoni i disegni di Pacheco e Merino, un poco meno la storia di Busiek. Ma forse è solo perché non sono addentro alla continuity del kryptoniano, eroe che nel complesso mi ha sempre lasciato indifferente.
2 stelle e mezza.
Joe
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
The non-Superman parts are great.
Jesse A
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A strong start. Good art, maybe a bit overly sexualized in spots. Still im excited to see where this goes.
Aggelos
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I actually read this story in single issues. I didn't enjoy it a lot at first but after I re-read, I saw the vision and talent Busiek put onto the story.

It has everything you want from a Superman story, high-concept heroics, great characterization, strong supporting cast and threatening villains.
I loved the villains. Both Subjekt 17 and of course the main villain Arion are great. Particularly Arion was so threatening and charming and considering his motives you think of him as a hero in his own
Emmanuel Nevers
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome Superman story!! Requires a bit of DC comics knowledge to fully enjoy but if you're really just reading it for Sups and you don't care about details you should be fine.
Michael
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: loeg-archives
I like Busiek's handle on the characters - Clark's naivete and determination, Lois' professionalism and ability to needle Clark, Jimmy's infectious curiosity... the flashbacks felt real, and the characters believable.

Pacheco's art was terrific, despite the lack of backgrounds more often than I'd prefer. I don't need Hitch-drawing-contours-on-every-brick backgrounds, but I like a vague impression of where things are occurring. The coloring makes Pacheco look even better.

That said, plot-wise, I fe
Roberto Diaz
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story really benefits from the collected edition format, since it was a chore to read in the time it was originally published (characterized for constant delays in titles, and random filler issues to hide from that, something that still bothers the industry) but it was a solid ok read for a Superman story.

It has big stakes, it has beautiful art, it has Busiek, pacheco and Merino at the top of their game, introducing concepts and characters that mirror ones from other publishers, (like a "k
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it
This comic was fine. It wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible either. It just wasn't my favorite Superman adventure. I'm not as big a fan of magic in comic books, just because I personally think sci-fi elements work better in that genre, but I get why it was needed. How else could Superman be warned of an oncoming doom? How else could he be forced to choose between permitting a catastrophe or continuing to fight and, therein, allowing a bigger catastrophe with greater loss of life to occur? It's ...more
Ricardo Noronha
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite its slow start, Camelot Falls Vol. 1 presents us with an extremely interesting story of a possible future of Earth and its inhabitants if Superman chooses to keep fighting back. Being even more specific, a future caused by Superman's outstanding values such as "not killing". What consequences will there be if Superman chooses to spare those who do not have such moral standards or remorse? Should he instead choose the "lesser evil"? Also noteworthy is the book's art, very detailed and eng ...more
Dean
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
A lot of good and some bad make this a slightly uneven collection. Firstly, the narrative is interesting in concept, but in practice is repetitive and all over the place. A little soul searching by Kal is fine, but Busiek emphasises and re-emphasises this several times. The use of Arion is ok, nice cameos from Phantom Stranger and Zatanna, and Busiek knows his history.
The art by Pacheco is excellent, lovely clean lines an£ some great panels.
Very readable, though not essential collection.
Sam
First chapter was great and suitable to be read as a standalone story, while acting as a prelude to the troubles that come in the rest of the volume. I didn't quite understand the motivation of the main villain or how everything comes together. It felt kind of messy at parts, so I didn't quite enjoy the rest of the book.
Javi
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
De menos a más. Me encanta el cariz postapocalíptico que va tomando, los toques de magia y el tono fatalista. Deja con ganas de continuar la historia.
Marc's Comics
Feb 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Busiek does an admirable job of mixing 70's-style fun with modern storytelling, but this first part is fairly inconsistent. Superman heads to Kazakhstan to battle a monster named Subjekt-17, who is a not very interesting Doomsday-lite (He was experimented on! He keeps getting stronger! He speaks in fragments!). It almost seems like Busiek got bored with him as well, because he is rapidly dismissed to make way for the second part of the story (my apologies if Subjekt-17 shows up in Vol. 2) which ...more
Paul
Dec 07, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm guessing I'd have to have read the prequel to this to actually be able to fully "get it"... also the ending suggests a sequel that I would probably need to read as well to tie up all the loose ends.
I'm also guessing that if I did read either I'd then probably have to read the prequel to the prequel and the sequel to the sequel, and so on, and so on.
Such is the life of an on-going comic series, I get it, it's part of an on-going story printed as single comics and collected into this trade har
Roman Colombo
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc
Well, it is SO FAR a really good Superman story...I'm not the biggest Superman fan though. Busiek does have some strong writing here, though, going through the challenges of what Lois and Clark face, and an impossible task...that sets up Vol 2. That's kind of the problem here. It's not a two volume story. This volume doesn't work by itself at all.

So, off to read volume 2, and hope the art stays as awesome as the first volume.
Mark
Dec 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
The contrast between this book and "For Tomorrow" is so striking... Brian A (100 Bullets) is trying to write "dark" graphic fiction & Kurt Busiek is trying to write stories about heroes. No question which one I like better - Kurt B. all the way!

It'd be cool if Kurt B. started working on the TV show "Heroes", btw.
Iris Nevers
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This comic book took me a while to read because of school, but it is a very quick read. The story is fresh, exciting, and not something I would expect. I can't wait to read the second half of the story. This was definitely a good read for my first Superman story.
Greg
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
See my comments for Vol. 2.
Jawairia
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books, superfam
I actually liked it cant wait for the second one bu the ending is really sad though i hope it changes
Shannon Appelcline
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-dc
A nice standalone, 'On Our Special Day' [7]; an OK punch-ed-up in Russia [6]; and an exciting intro to Camelot Falls [8]."
Keith Moser
This book was recommended to me by my wife's step-dad. I told him how I was sort of disappointed when I recently read All-Star Superman and he told me this (which he read back when it came out as singles) was one of his favorite Superman stories.

I love the writing—a lot of inset narrations from Superman (and Lois in diary form) which sets up everything. There's little to no guessing at what's happening and I love that.

The art is very nice, and I like how the story sort of takes place in three s
Dave

• Superman: Birthright
  • Superman: American Alien
  • Wanted
  • Spider-Man: Life Story
  • The Girl from the Other Side: Siúil, A Rún, Volume 2 (The Girl from the Other Side, #2)
  • Stronghold Vol. 1
  • Harrow County, Vol. 2: Twice Told
  • Sweet Tooth, Volume 2: In Captivity
  • Jessica Jones: Blind Spot
  • The Falcon's Malteser (Diamond Brothers, #1)
  • The Book of Onions: Comics to Make You Cry Laughing and Cry Crying
  • Kingdom Come
  • Forever Evil
Kurt Busiek is an American comic book writer notable for his work on the Marvels limited series, his own title Astro City, and his four-year run on Avengers.

Busiek did not read comics as a youngster, as his parents disapproved of them. He began to read them regularly around the age of 14, when he picked up a copy of Daredevil #120. This was the first part of a continuity-heavy four-part story arc;

Camelot Falls (2 books)