Start by marking “Hello, He Lied and Other Tales from the Hollywood Trenches” as Want to Read:
Hello, He Lied and Other Tales from the Hollywood Trenches

Hello, He Lied and Other Tales from the Hollywood Trenches

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  317 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
"Never go to a meeting without a strategy."  "Ride the horse in the direction it's going."  These are just two of the gems unearthed from the trenches of Hollywood by Lynda Obst, one of the most successful producers in the  movie business today.  In Hello, He Lied, Obst offers real, practical advice to would-be professionals in any field: "Thou shalt not cry at work," "tho ...more
Published September 2nd 1997 by Broadway (first published September 1996)

Be the first to ask a question about Hello, He Lied and Other Tales from the Hollywood Trenches

Alisha
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lynda, first off, thrilled when I checked IMDB and saw that The Hot Zone lives. I think it as a limited series is a fantastic idea.

Second, really hope I end up on one of your sets one day. Reading your book has made me both excited to try my hand at producing and terrified by my lack of knowledge.

Thanks for the compassionate, balanced, candid approach to being a woman in a industry still dominated by men. That being said, knowing you are out there showing the industry how it's done tells me th
Mike
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Producer Lynda Obst's first book about Hollywood traces her stint at the NY Times Magazine and her early moviemaking career. She concedes in her 2nd book that this version of Hollywood no longer exists, as the ability to pitch and sell to the studios has all but ended. I would recommend her 2nd book "Sleepless in Hollywood" as the better place to start but industry junkies will certainly enjoy this.

The book is filled with the typical movie archetypes but is strongest in telling how women have g
John Devlin
Mar 21, 2007 rated it it was ok
Another revealing tell-all of the absurdities and stupidity of Hollywood.
Anna
Feb 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Always have a strategy before going into a meeting. Always have a strategy before going into a meeting.
Vi
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this book, less as a career manual or a how to, but more of an approach in relationships, whether professional or personal, with a touch of snarky humor. akin to The Secret. Know your staff, take care of you people, expect long hours of hustling, etc.
Brittany Rivera
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I want to be Lynda Obst: badass female producer and problem solver extraordinare. Actually, reading this book made me wonder (numerous times) if I have what it takes to be a producer. Lynda's experiences, stories, and advice are invaluable to someone like me just starting a career in the film industry with PRODUCER as the end goal. (Or maybe studio head after reading this?)
It is interesting to see how much has changed and how much has really stayed the same since this book was published in the
Noah
Sep 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Obst started out as a journalist, and it shows in her very lean, punchy writing. There are also some fun stories in the book. The trouble is that the whole thing doesn't really cohere - it's just a pile of disconnected thoughts and it feels like you're just hanging out in her head more than anything else. Add to that the fact that the book is pretty dated by now (it was published in 1997), and it's hard to recommend unless you're really curious about the subject matter. The one takeaway message ...more
Mar 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great book written from the perspective of a successful Hollywood producer on how the industry works. Linda Obst provides fantastic insight on how to navigate the perils of the movie making business concerning how to pitch, knowing your strategy for every meeting and getting things done. Very entertaining, even for people not interested in ever working in Hollywood.
Rickeclectic
Oct 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Folks interested in the film indusry
Shelves: film
A personal yet very factual book from a woman who is an insider in the Hollywood film industry. This is not a "tell all." It is a seemingly honest account of how the film industry works day to day from the trenches. Obst is a successful producer and well wired, but not shy about telling the truth. Her perspective as a woman in the industry is interesting but not the center of the book. Worth reading if you are interested in the film industry
Carolyn
Mar 25, 2016 rated it liked it
I don't really have any idea how this ended up on my shelves, and it didn't particularly resonate with me, but a really insidery look into the world of movie production. Some of the workpace-as-a-woman stuff was a little outdated at this point, as was the last chapter about being busy.
Alicia
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really really liked this book. I liked the author's point of view, her way of describing oft-unarticulated components of business, learning about production and the industry of movie making. A worthwhile read!
Raul
Aug 19, 2012 rated it liked it
As a good portrait of the maddening chaos and darkness of the movie industry, it can fuel anybody's cynicism about the endeavor of making movies. Yet, there are also some nuggets of inspiration for the aspiring moving picture artist.
Courtney Henley-Anderson
Apr 28, 2009 rated it did not like it
Didn't love this. While supposed to be a how-to succeed for women in the film business, Lynda basically made it because she married into it. So it is hard to take her advice serious unless it is to say that we should find husbands if we want to work in the field!
Bill
Sep 25, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Excruciating tale of a woman with way too much self esteem in a business where education above 6th grade level can be a handicap. Like "You'll never eat lunch..." here is a heroine who will not earn your empathy. Tempted to get into the movie business? This could be the cure.
Mbowness
Nov 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Lynda Obst provides you with the ins and outs of Hollywood, what it's like to be a woman in the industry, etc. She produced The Invention of Lying, Adventures in Babysitting, Sleepless in Seattle, and Flashdance. A must for women trying to get into producing.
Ariana
Nov 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Super boring and verbose.
Wendy
Jun 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
An inside look into how Hollywood really works. Women trying to climb the ranks in this business will appreciate Obst's honesty.
Jarrad Bock
Dec 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Interesting opinions and insight into the hollywood world. The constant changes in structures was a good way to break up the narrative.
Ben
Dec 09, 2012 rated it liked it
While slightly dated, this is an enlightening window into the day-to-day business of working in Hollywood. It makes you think twice about the glamour of the place.
Jan 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Not only has this former NYT editor given us a circular, impossible to follow text, but also provided sub-headlines on every other page that are impossible to read.
You blew it.
Do not recommend.
Colleen
Feb 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Fun read. Optimistic about women in Hollywood.
Michael Pennington
Interesting if thin with somewhat mixed messaging.
April Lundy
Aug 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ushered me into the industry...
Thomas A Wiebe
Sep 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An account of how to survive in the movie industry by a successful film producer.
cheeseblab
Jan 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Wanted to like it a lot this Hollywood tell all more than I actually did, part I. Great title, though.
Heidi
Jan 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Another insider look at Hollywood. However, Obst has many good insights and recommendations, particularly for women navigating the treacherous waters of show business.
Melissa
Lisa Wilson
Jul 27, 2014
  • The Mailroom: Hollywood History from the Bottom Up
  • You'll Never Eat Lunch in this Town Again
  • What They Don't Teach You at Film School: 161 Strategies For Making Your Own Movies No Matter What
  • High Concept: Don Simpson and the Hollywood Culture of Excess
  • Which Lie Did I Tell?: More Adventures in the Screen Trade
  • The Man Who Heard Voices: Or, How M. Night Shyamalan Risked His Career on a Fairy Tale
  • What Just Happened?: Bitter Hollywood Tales from the Front Line
  • Hollywood Animal: A Memoir
  • The Devil's Candy: The Anatomy Of A Hollywood Fiasco
  • Killer Instinct
  • The Kid Stays in the Picture
  • The Men Who Would Be King: An Almost Epic Tale of Moguls, Movies, and a Company Called DreamWorks

Nonfiction Deals

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99