Start by marking “Jaws 2” as Want to Read:
Jaws 2

Jaws 2

(Jaws #2)

It's four years since the Long Island resort of Amity was terrorized by the monster killer shark... the nightmare story that thrilled the world as JAWS. — Out in the deep water there's a new and even more terrible predator from the ocean depths... — The female of the Great White Shark is even larger than the male. — Ravenously hungry, the death-dealing monster slices ...more
Paperback, movie tie-in
Published October 6th 1978 by Macmillan (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Jaws 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jaws 2

Start your review of Jaws 2
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Martin Brody hated the ocean. Any sane man would hate it. It was a cold surging hell, and all of its creatures were demons, and the devil had an ebony, blinded eye."

This was an average follow up to the original book. It was, by no means, stellar. I'm in the minority that I enjoyed the second movie a lot - despite its boring parts and some silliness, it was still a good follow-up to the original blockbuster film. The book is much of the same - some boring parts, but mainly interesting enough.

Kramer | The Illiterate Reader |
Really its 3 1/2 stars but GR doesn't do halves.

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about this one. It was probably an enjoyable enough stand alone book. However, since it is paired with a movie, I am sad to say it was a letdown. First, it had a completely different story that was NOWHERE in the movie, albeit an enjoyable change. The biggest disappointment though was how little they mentioned the shark and how few attacks there were. IT'S CALLED JAWS FOR A REASON! COME ON!
Erika
Oct 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Surprisingly not as bad as I thought it would be...
Bruce Jones
May 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
No, this is not a joke. Hank Searls, author of THE BIG X, THE CROWDED SKY, THE PILGRIM PROJECT, BLOOD SONG, and OVERBOARD (my favorite) is one terrific writer. Retired now with an online shop that helps beginning and even veteran writers hone their craft, Searls should get back in the game, especially in light of the ebook boom. He’s simply one hell of a stylist. He puts you in the book!

JAWS 2 is one of those weirder than life scenarios only Hollywood could concoct: a movie tie-in book that’s
Jerry
Oct 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
I'm not a fan of 1980s cinema. Too many "PG" films from that time betray their rating, and some of the movies from the decade of excess--specifically Vision Quest and Satisfaction--are among the worst I've ever seen. Still, this was in a Reader's Digest volume, so, I gave it a chance...

...and I still hated it. If you have no interest in seeing the movie, like me, then don't bother with the novelization.
Rebecca McNutt
Jaws 2 was pretty good for a film tie-in book. I liked the first Jaws book better, but this one still has some great moments.
Will Errickson
Strangely, this is kinda good. What can I say, I'm a JAWS geek. Only indirectly related to the movie, it's based on a screenplay which wasn't produced (alas). Better even than Benchley's original, with creepy underwater scenes with the shark & the terror it engenders in other sea creatures. Brody's characterization is solid; he's guilt-stricken thinking it's the first shark & that he didn't actually kill it...
Horace Derwent
anthropomorphized monster(or the humanity is weak and sensitive), typical american, and bestiality felt
Timothy Boyd
Feb 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Great suspense thriller. The movie was good but the book is much better. Recommended
Mark R.
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
**1/2

So, what was I really expecting from a novelization of "Jaws 2"? Certainly not a book on the same level as Peter Benchley's classic original--but, perhaps something a little more exciting than this adaptation by Hank Searls.

Searls can't own the blame for this thing, however. The novelization is based on an early draft of what eventually became the blockbuster action-horror hit of 1978. Clearly, some heavy re-writing was done, as the plot of this book only somewhat resembles that of the
Sean Carlin
I'd give this one two-and-a-half stars.

This novelization is actually based on the unproduced Dorothy Tristan draft of Jaws 2 (when her husband John D. Hancock was still attached to direct the project, before he was replaced by Jeannot Szwarc and the script rewritten -- and heavily re-conceptualized -- by Carl Gottlieb), so you're getting a very different story than the one seen in the finished film; I'd go so far to say it really only bears nominal resemblance to the movie. That's both a good
Teri
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've seen Jaws and Jaws 3D (and even had a few friends who were extras in Jaws 3D), but I somehow never got to see Jaws 2. So, when I saw the paperback at my local thrift store, I thought I'd give it a try.

The book was okay, but was definitely nothing to write home about. It surprised me that Jaws went about her business for most of the book and that Brody and the other Amityville-ites didn't pick up on her presence until the last few chapters of the book. At times I wondered if I was really
Jeff
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeff by: Discovered it on my own.
Rebecca
Jul 14, 2012 rated it liked it
It would have been better to watch the movie! This is probably the only time you'll hear me utter that. I usually champion reading the book over watching the film, but in this case the other way around is true. The plot was long and drawn out, with Brody's confrontation with the shark lasting mere pages right at the very end. Instead the plot seems to hang loosely around The Mobs involvement in gambling and a casino coming to Amity. The shark meanders through short chapters, doing it's usual ...more
Troy Palmer
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Another quick read that differed completely from the movie adaptation. A whole different story in fact. The book is more about Chief Brody and his struggles with work and his family life and less focused on the the enormous shark eating everything in reach. Hank Searls' writing style is very enjoyable and quick paced and really keeps the story moving forward.
Bob Wolniak
Aug 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Read way back when the movie was still out and I was in a phase of reading the books for every movie i was looking forward to...
Tim Curtis
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“JAWS 2” (1978) by Hank Searls is, to begin with, a really good book. It is spooky, chilling and scary, humorous, tense and genuine. The characters are more than well drawn, they’re alive on the page. The shark is fearsome and a real force of nature. The storyline is complex and full of intriguing drama.

“JAWS” (1974) by Peter Benchley is such an exceptional novel and Benchley was a wonderful writer. Searls’ writing doesn’t match up to Benchley’s but it’s still very readable, I read the book in
Ed
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
At the risk of coming off defensive, I hasten to point out this is NOT a novelization of Jaws 2 but of the discarded script. I’m dying to know why this was even available because it’s objectively insane I was able to read this. My guess is the Universal exec in charge was too coked up to notice. So how is it? On the one hand, it’s very different than Jaws, book and film. I liked how Amity was devastated by the events of the first book. It was very atmospheric and certainly bold. The villain here ...more
Stephen Melvin
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
What can you really expect from a novelization of a movie sequel that never comes close to the original? It wasn't horrible, and at times it was interesting to see Brody and Ellen's story continue. (I haven't seen the movie in eons, so I remember nothing.)

Still, it's just sort of flat and uninspired. Still plenty to glean from my research, but not my favorite read.

And, silly as it sounds, I may have deducted an entire star just because I found this copy in a bin of paperbacks at an antique store
Kelly
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I had wanted to read it after hearing good things about the novelization. It is surprisingly well-written, especially the shark scenes. Even the odd sub plot with the seal added some poignancy in the end. The theme of the book seems to be offspring and the continuation of Nature which is appropriate for a sequel! Much of the human activity is not particularly memorable--another mafia subplot--as well as differences from the movie which are kind of jarring. Nevertheless, as other readers have ...more
Kris Lugosi
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. All the familiar characters are here and written in a way that you believe you are reading from the perspective of Brody. The pace is really great and has an amazing tension build.

I especially loved getting to read the perspective of the shark and other animals. A lot of good information in those parts that add to the dynamic of the story.

For a book adapted from a screenplay, it really is quite fantastic.
Jennifer Morefield
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
While the place and people were mostly the same in Jaws 2 as in Jaws, I found it not nearly as good as the first book. It was confusing and kind of boring for me. I learned a few interesting things about sharks and seals, etc., but that is about it. I really didn't enjoy this book at all. I kept going thinking it would get better. I was just happy to finish it.
Cliff Poche
Feb 18, 2020 rated it liked it
The version of Jaws 2 you never saw!
completey diiferent from the actual film, its based on an early unused screenplay as a sequel to the original novel Jaws as depicts certain events detailed from the book only. Such as reincluding the mob in the story. Could have done without that. Has many suspenceful moments that probably would have awesome on the big screen!
Paxton Holley
It's not a great adaptation of the movie because it's based on an earlier draft of the script and a lot of the story is different. However, in "look and feel", this is a very good sequel to the original Benchley Jaws novel. I enjoyed it very much.
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Given that this book is loosely based on the film screenplay it's not too bad and I rather enjoyed it. A bit too much Amity politics though and not enough shark! I've also never read a shark sex scene before!!
Grady Hendrix
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Better written than the original, featuring hot scenes of shark action guaranteed to put you in the mood.

“There, passive and supine, she had received both of his yard-long, salami-shaped claspers into her twin vents.”
Nathan
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful alterations made in contrast with the film it's based on. Supposing it draws from the canon of the first book and not the first film due to context clues. Must-read for Jaws fans. At times hilarious, gripping, and tragic.
Stephen Snowden
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Better than the movie
Sven
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Not enough shark.
Sean Chick
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A bit long in the tooth, but pretty well written with some rather scary parts. Not sure if it is better than the movie, which I still like overall.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Friday the 13th: Hell Lake
  • Night Life
  • The Return
  • Aliens: Earth Hive
  • Alien: River of Pain (Canonical Alien trilogy, #3)
  • Ghostbusters
  • Quake
  • Aliens: Steel Egg
  • Cannibal Kingdom
  • Aliens: Alien Harvest
  • Psycho II (Psycho #2)
  • Antibodies
Born Henry Hunt Searls Jr. novelist and screenwriter Hank Searls, author of the best-selling Overboard, Jaws II (based on the movie), and Sounding, is creator of the New Breed TV series and writer for the 1960's classic television series The Fugitive . His novel Pilgrim Project became Robert Altman's film Countdown. He has lived most of his life on, under, or over the ocean, having been a ...more

Jaws (3 books)