Start by marking “B Is for Baby” as Want to Read:
B Is for Baby

B Is for Baby

Atinuke and Angela Brooksbank, creators of the award-winning Baby Goes to Market, pair up again for a bright and beautiful first book of words.

B is for Baby. B is for Brother. B is for going to see Baba!

One morning after breakfast, Baby's big brother is getting ready to take the basket of bananas all the way to Baba's bungalow in the next village. He'll have to go along
Published March 12th 2019 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about B Is for Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about B Is for Baby

Start your review of B Is for Baby
Hilary
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Hilary by: Found in the library
A lovely simple picture book following a baby that climbs into a basket of bananas being transported on her brothers bike without anyone knowing. We follow the stowaway on her journey and discover many things beginning with the letter B.

A bright and happy book with lovely illustrations.
Chance Lee
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-it, storytime
SO CUTE! Adorable illustrations and lots of fun B words.

EDIT: 3/7 -- A storytime hit! The kids loved all the B words, especially the ones that were new to them, like "bungalow." They liked coming up with other B words that Baby might see, and they loved the beautiful butterflies and birds in the big baobob that brother pedaled his bike by on the bumpy road to Baba's house with a basket full of bananas and Baby!
Kathryn
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Squeeeee-adorable! :-) At first I thought this would be a letter-by-letter alphabet book, but I thought it was a delightful surprise to have every aspect of the story start with the letter "B" -- it's funny and charming and the illustrations are the height of adorable. My sons loved it, too.
Emily
This Book is as Beautiful as Baby Goes to Market! Baby and her Big Brother travel By Bicycle all around the village, encountering a Bounty of B words along the way. I love this author and illustrator pairing so much, and I am literally trembling with excitement to use this Book in story time!
Laura Harrison
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a perfect storytime book! Simple text with absolutely breathtaking illustrations! Another must have title for Spring 2019.
Katie Fitzgerald
I wish I still did story times so I could use this adorable book! In simple statements, the text lists things that begin with the letter B: beads, bananas, basket, bicycle, brother, and Baba, while the illustrations convey the story of a baby who stows away in her big brother's bike basket to visit her grandfather. My three-year-old has just begun to learn consonant sounds and this book arrived just as we were introducing the letter B, so it was perfect timing for us, and both she and her ...more
Linda
You might believe from the darling cover that this is an ABC book meant for babies, but no, Atinuke has crafted a baby book, but for only in this special story, the letter "B". Its a circular book, too, from Baby to Baba and back to Baba, then Baby again, and all the Beautiful Bounty one sees on a special trip. Don't miss Angela Brooksbank's gorgeous color illustrating this trip, favorites are the double-page spread with the baobab tree and the one where brother on his bike and baby in the ...more
Heidi
This adorable book is told entirely through B words such as baby, bananas, baboon, bicycle, and Baba. It's quite a clever concept that is beautifully executed. I've long been a fan of Atinuke and her stories of West Africa. This one is just as good as all the others. Not only are the illustrations adorable with the baby hidden in the basket of bananas but the use of only b-words to tell the story works surprisingly well. The gorgeous two page spreads beautifully complement the simple word ...more
Effie
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful colorful illustrations tell the story in this one as we follow a boy and his baby sister on a bicycle trip to visit their Baba. It's clever storytelling as the text highlights all of the B words of the plants and animals and things they pass along the way.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A beautiful story told entirely featuring words beginning with the letter “B,” set in Africa, featuring all the lovely parts of village life including bananas, and bridges, and buses, and baboons, and birds, and, of course, Baby.
Meredith
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is adorable and funny. It also prompted one of the kids, after I explained what "B is for Bungalow" means, to ask me, "How to you know so much?" So that was fun.
Earl
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A beautiful book following a day in the life of a baby and her brother and all the things they encounter that starts with B.
Cheryl
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not an alphabet book, but a creative way to tell a story. I wouldn't mind if Atinuke eventually created 25 other stories about this clever baby, though. (Or maybe a few less, she could combine some lesser-used letters together....)
Tasha
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Told in a series of “B” words, this book tells the story of a baby who climbs into a basket of bananas. Unnoticed by her busy brother who has headphones on, the basket is loaded onto the back of his bicycle and he heads off across the African landscape. They pass baobab trees, see a baboon, bird and butterfly. The road is bumpy and carries them across a bridge until they reach Baba’s bungalow where Baby is discovered amid the bananas much to her brother’s surprise. The three enjoy a snack ...more
Mary Judy
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Atinuke has always been one of my favourite authors, expertly revealing the wonder and beauty of Africa and the warmth and joy of family life, daily occurrences and mishaps. The very simple text tells a story full of charm and laughter. There are plenty of "B" words, obviously, which increase the rhythm and bounce of the story, giving ample opportunity for language and word play and grabbing the attention of even the youngest children. The illustrations are just wonderful; filled with colour, ...more
Jana
What, at first glance, seems like a simple ABC-style book, is actually a clever story that will have readers looking back again and again to pick up more of it. With simple text - "B is for Baby, and for the bananas bouncing their way to Baba's house in a basket..." And along the way the reader encounters butterflies, birds, baobab trees, and baboons. But as the reader gets to the end of it, one realizes that all of these "B" words are connected to each other, illustrated gorgeously with mixed ...more
Margie
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Children enjoy playing with the sounds made by letters and words. The rhythms made by combinations of the two are like a symphony to them. If what they are hearing has a melody, they are more likely to remember it.

When you simply start humming the alphabet song (copyright 1834 by Charles Bradlee), most children with an English language background will easily start to sing the song. You can see they have a sense of pride in remembering the order of the letters in this alphabet. Another use of
Kate
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: toddler-k
I love this so much. While the setting may be unfamiliar for some, many of the elements will still be recognizable, and the bit of humor and warmth throughout is universal. The end papers echo mama's dress fabric and the colors of the illustrations are bright and happy. Simple sentences with illustrations that tell much of the story which invites conversation as the book is shared. Consider other words that may start with 'B' and perhaps introduce more vocabulary-- brook, burro, blue, branches, ...more
Katie
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, storytime
You can almost read this story without the text, the illustrations are so descriptive and follow the story so well. The text itself is a list of items that all start with B that Baby encounters or passes on their trip from home to Baba's house and back. Yes, the book features words that all start with the letter B, but it is just a bonus point, the real story is the baby getting into a basket and being taken along with bananas by her brother who is distracted by his music. cute, and something ...more
Lisa
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweet, vivid book with a simple story told through a focus on the letter B: baby sneaks into a basket of bananas that the baby's brother brings to their Baba (grandfather). The illustrations are evocative: mama putting beads into baby's hair, a baobab tree, a crowded bus, the patterned fabrics everyone wears. The author, Atinuke, is Nigerian so I'm guessing the setting might be Nigeria, but it's never named anywhere (I'm not saying it has to be). I like this kind of picture book, especially for ...more
Allison
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
An alphabet book focusing just on the letter B. Colorful and vibrant illustrations accompany this B-centric story of one baby's accidental journey to Baba's house. I can imagine a child's response as you to them about how B is for baby and basket and banana and brother--distracted brother who doesn't notice baby is in the banana basket he's loading onto his bicycle. Once the mishap is realized (at Baba's house), brother has to take baby back, passing all the b-words again. A great combination of ...more
Kelsey
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Age: Infant+
Family: Big brother and little sister

Having fallen in a basket full of bananas, Baby takes a surprise trip with Brother to see Baba. While the text is minimal and focuses on words that start with B, the large illustrations are ripe for dialogic reading as Baby travels across the Nigerian town and then surprises Baba--and Brother. A mother's warm embrace at the beginning and the end give comfort to the readers as Baby goes on a wild, unexpected adventure.
Pam
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am in LOVE!! I thought that B is for Baby was going to be an alphabet book and it is but it's about only one letter and that is, you guessed it, "B". Baby and brother travel around their Nigerian village "collecting" all the 'B' words - basket ,bike, seeing Baba, big, baboon, bus, bridge and banana's. Angela Brooksbank knocks it out of the park AGAIN with pastel illustrations that bring warmth and fuzziness to the people and the village.
Ames Public Library Youth Services
I opened this up thinking it was going to be a typical alphabet book. However, I should've known to expect better from Atinuke! Instead of the whole alphabet, this is a celebration of the letter B.

In this book we follow Baby as she sees all sorts of things that start with the letter B (bananas, bus, beads, etc). She also has quite the adventure of her own!

The engaging story and adorable illustrations make for a wonderful read aloud experience.

-dmz
Elizabeth Moreau Nicolai
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby-storytime
SO BEAUTIFUL. The pictures are clear and bright, easy to see even for baby eyes across the room. Joy and love and laughter just jump off the page for this picture book about two little ones (Baby and Brother) and all the B things they find on the way to see their Baba (bridge, bicycle, Baobab, so much more).

I'll be reading this a lot in baby storytime!
Desiree
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved the illustrations in this book so much. The baby takes an unexpected trip with her big brother. along the way she learns a lot of different words that begin with the letter b. The vocabulary was sensational and will introduce children to words from other countries. Great book for one on one reading and cuddling time.
Great Books
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ages-birth-2
B is for Biscuit, Bananas, Baba, and so much more in this Beautiful picturebook that highlights the independence and adventure of being a Big Brother, the love of family and community, set in a Nigerian landscape. Colorful illustrations and alliteration make this an engaging read for families.

Reviewer #4
Mary
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: preschool, wnmdb, to-buy
Using many words that begin with B, the author tells a warm tale of family love set in an African village. In a welcome departure from meerly listing words that begin with various letters, there is an actual story arch here, supported by beautiful bright illustrations. Simple spare text makes this a wonderful book for preschool through beginning readers. Highly recommended.
Cara Byrne
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bananas, brother, bumpy, Baba, and Baobab. This book celebrates babyhood in Africa - rich with close ties to family, the bustling community one lives in, and the adventures that babies find themselves in. A great read for toddlers!
Jason
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is interesting both because of how it is an alphabet book that focuses on only one letter and how it tells a story of a complex and rich culture through a handful of words and illustrations. Very well done.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • Lubna and Pebble
  • The Undefeated
  • Hair Love
  • One Is a Piñata: A Book of Numbers (Learn to Count Books, Numbers Books for Kids, Preschool Numbers Book)
  • Sea Bear: A Journey for Survival
  • Babymoon
  • Bear Came Along
Atinuke is a Nigerian-born author who started her career doing traditional oral storytelling. Her books include a Boston Globe–Horn Book Honor Winner, a Notable Book for a Global Society, a Cybils Award Winner, and an Africana Award Winner. She lives in Wales.