Start by marking “You Are Light” as Want to Read:
You Are Light

You Are Light

With a wondrously simple die-cut book, the Caldecott Honor-winning creator of the Journey trilogy brings his talents further into the light.

This is the light that brings the day.

Open this beautiful book to find a graphic yellow sun surrounded by a halo of bright die-cut circles. Now hold the page up to the light and enjoy the transformation as the colors in those circles
Published March 26th 2019 by Candlewick Studio

To ask other readers questions about You Are Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Are Light

Start your review of You Are Light
Michael Fitzgerald
Feb 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Huge disappointment. I loved Becker's trilogy of wordless books, but this is just dreadful - trite text and a gimmick that adds nothing - the emperor has no clothes.
Lynne Moody
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won this book on a Goodreads giveaway. Love how cute and simple this book was. Kids would really love the color and the cutouts were great looking. Also how you can interact with the different pages as you read to them and put it up against the lamp or sun.
Vera Godley
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is such a joy to share the books reviewed here on Chat With Vera with a local library, a homeschool family, a neighbor, and especially a special Great-grandbaby. His dear mother has reviewed You Are Light for us after sharing it with this sweet little one. Her review is especially pertinent as she is an artist and a superb professional photographer.

We recently received this lovely book from a family member and I must say, the gift was perfectly timed. It was the end of a long day and we were
Becky
First sentence: This is the light that brings the dawn to warm the sky and hug the land. It sips the sea to make the rain, which waters wheat to grow the grain.

Premise/plot: Simple text, complicated design highlight a new-age-y message for little ones? I'm not one hundred percent sure of that last bit--that's opinion not fact. But regardless the text is simple and the design is complicated.

My thoughts: If the book did not end in an obscure, abstract, obviously-vague, perhaps new-age-y way (This
Katie Fitzgerald
I was excited to receive a review copy of this book based on the book trailer, but now that I have it in hand, I have to admit to being underwhelmed. The gimmick is fun at first glance. My kids wanted to hold the book up to the window and see the light shine through the colored circles. It was neat to see the way the images in the center of each page seemed to pop out, and we enjoyed seeing the shadow of the cut-outs on the front cover against our living room floor. After doing all of that just ...more
Linda Atkinson
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love!
Rhica
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very simple and enchanting board book about colors and the cycle of life.
I love the cellophane circles of different colors.
Wendy Garland
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, board-book, colors
The use of cutouts and color make the entire composition of this book a work of art.
Edward Sullivan
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful and unqiue in its use of die cuts, this concept book can be appreciated by a wide range of ages.
June
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: light requests
Recommended to June by: capitolchoices.org
I was a bit underwhelmed, but this will definitely be useful in filling day care requests. Children will also enjoy holding it up to the light to see the different colors. However, the text seems a bit abstract and didn't do much for me.
Miriam
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this as a goodreads first-read giveaway. It is a cute boardbook with unique cutouts. The words although above the comprehension of its young audience, have a rhythm that will please them. I passed it along to my neighbours whose children are 2 and 4. If I get feedback from them, i will update my post!
Heidi
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This rather unusual picture is all about the power of light and its connection to life. The beauty of the simple text highlights the way sunlight brings dawn, which touches water, which rains and waters the wheat'and feeds the leaves. Eventually the light touches you and me connecting all living things. What makes the book extra special is the use of die-cuts and colored plastic to highlight the various colors that the light brings to life. The book needs to be held up to the light to be fully ...more
Chris
Apr 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway in exchange for my honest review.

The gimmick of holding the book up to the light and seeing the different colors shine through was cool and my kids and I enjoyed that.

However, as a Christian, I cannot ignore the spiritual message of the book's text. I am not light! I am reflecting the light of Jesus, who is the true "light of the world" (John 8:12).

That being said... We really liked Becker's JOURNEY trilogy! (Read those with your kids instead.) And I
Sheryl
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I entered the contest on Goodreads and won the book. It's a sweet, simple book, for ages 4-8, though I feel even younger ones will enjoy. If you read to your little ones, it's a winner, be sure to hold it up to a light or sunny window, so light shows through the colored circles.
Lisa
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from a Good Reads giveaway and I was delighted to see it when it arrived. The die cut circles of color that glow when held in front of a light source make me smile. The simple story of a world that is all connected and relies on each piece to stay together and grow is the story of our world. Our earth.

I loved the message in this book, the simplicity, and the colors. I give it . (5/5)
Kaitlin
2.5 stars: I wanted to love this, because I love Aaron Becker and the concept of the book - the light shining through multi-colored die-cut circles - is just so cool. But the text just falls flat for me.
Sara
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very beautiful book. It made a good story time book for my children as well. They loved the changing color wheel (and so did I!).
Kimberly McDonald
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
A lovely little book that’s useful for helping to introduce the concepts of light and colour to young children. I enjoyed sharing this book with my 3 year old and she loves holding the book up to the light to watch the colours illuminate.
Chelsea Carr
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great book to empower a young child. It's quite an interesting read as you have color wheels that you can hold up to the light and discuss with kids.
Olivia
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yabc-reviews
Full review here: http://www.yabookscentral.com/kidsnon...

This elegant board book is a celebration of light with a simple lyrical poem accompanied by die-cut colored circles. When held up to the light, it has a stained glass effect. Combined with the simple but lovely images on each page, this board book is beautiful for people of all ages.

Each page has several circles filled in with a color that overlap with other pages and colors to create the spectrum of colors apparent from the closed book.
Eve Costarelli
Mindful Book Reviews by Eve: You Are Light by Aaron Becker

This book is simply delightful. From the very first turn of the page, which casts a gorgeous mandala shadow onto my hand, I was drawn into its sturdy die-cut frame and stained-glass creativeness. The poetic prose match perfectly with the play of translucent-jewel toned inserts that radiate around a bright yellow sun, together illuminating the story of the sun's effect on the water cycle while at the same time reflecting the story back
Rachel
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First Becker created the exquisitely beautiful Journey trilogy, expanding the wordless tradition into new territory, now he has done the same for board books. You are Light has the same minimalist storytelling aesthetic as his previous works, while creating something that is highly appealing to, and appropriate for babies. In this solidly constructed book, growing minds can explore the colour spectrum through a visually expansive experience, while, at the same time, hearing about nature, and our ...more
Marsha
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The rhyming message, that we are all gleaned from the same energy that spins in a continuous cycle, feeding and nurturing each other, is a simple, timeless tale. It will surely appeal to any young one and perhaps charm older readers as well.

I didn’t read the back of the book until after I’d finished it but I knew what I had to do: hold it up to the light! Each page is cunningly filled with little circles inlaid with colored plastic cels. When held up to any light source (including your computer
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
You are Light by AaronBecker. BOARD BOOK. Candlewick, 2019. $16. 9781536201154

BUYING ADVISORY: PRE-K – ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

This is a short sweet book about light using light as a stunning part of the story. The book has twelves circular holes, arranged in a circle with plastic in different colors arranged as part of the story. Readers can hold the book up to a light source and it creates a stunning effect. One of my favorite quotes about light is “It sips the sea to make the rain”.

This
Reshamad
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I am always intrigued by how different authors get creative in bringing content to our youngest of readers. So when I saw a new board book from renowned author/illustrator of the series Journey trilogy, Aaron Becker, I was super curious.
“You are Light” is a board book that introduces the concept of sun light and how it affects living things on earth. Simply, it begs to question what is the place of sun light for us down here on Earth. Using transparent paper set in the die cut board book pages,
Tasha
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: board-books
Caldecott Honor winner Becker has created his first board book and what a beauty it is! The book almost glows with light and comes fully alive when raised toward the sun or a lamp where the colored circles shine. As the pages turn, light is celebrated. The way that it warms land, sips the sea, makes the rain, makes crops grow, and lights the moon. Particularly though, the light in each person is celebrated.

This board book is wonderfully simple and exceptionally designed. As pages turn, the
Suzanne Kunz Williams
I LOVE this book on so many levels. The illustrations are so pretty, so balanced. It's almost like reading a book like doing yoga makes you feel.

I love that you can read this book with super young children to help teach them their colors. I love that it shows cause and effect and relationships. It's a peaceful book to read with children, perhaps because it reminds us that we are children of Light.

Talking points: What roles does light play in your life? How have you expressed your thanks for
Gordon
You Are Light is a beautiful, novelty board book, by Aaron Becker, which is meant for the very youngest of juvenile readers, probably for babies or toddlers who will have the book read to them allowing them to be thoroughly absorbed by the tricks of color and light that the die-cut pages present. The book is cute and magical. The colors are lovely. The prose might be a little too esoteric for those young readers (listeners) and will be better appreciated by moms and dads whose little rays of ...more
Mrs.Melaugh Melaugh
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
To really appreciate this strikingly lovely book, allow light to shine through the opaque cutouts to form a pastel rainbow. Turn the pages, and different colors that reinforce the message are emphasized. A page that references leaves displays mostly green circles, while the page that states, “It sips the sea to make the rain,” features blue. Though the die-cut cardboard pages seem sturdy enough to stand up to repeated assaults by prying little fingers, it’s hard to tell until it is in ...more
Reading Fool
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways, 2019
I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads.

What a beautiful book, one that adults and children will both appreciate. This board book has die-cut circles that contain pieces of film in colors of the rainbow. The reader holds the book up to the light to get the full effect of the light and colors. Accompanying this visual are rhyming verses to teach the child about the wonder of light and nature. It is a creative concept that will entertain and teach young children (ages
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Another
  • The Important Thing About Margaret Wise Brown
  • The Shortest Day
  • Just in Case You Want to Fly
  • Harold & Hog Pretend For Real! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #6)
  • When Aidan Became A Brother
  • Pokko and the Drum
  • The Proudest Blue
  • The Little Guys
  • Just Because
  • Sweety
Aaron Becker has worked as an artist for such film studios as Lucasfilm, Disney, and Pixar, where he helped define the look and feel of characters, stories, and the movies they become a part of. With Journey, he has created characters and worlds of his very own, using traditional materials and techniques. Aaron Becker lives in Amherst, Massachusetts, with his wife, daughter, and cat. This is his ...more