Start by marking “She is Fierce” as Want to Read:
She is Fierce

She is Fierce

A stunning gift book containing 150 bold, brave and beautiful poems by women – from classic, well loved poets to innovative and bold modern voices. From suffragettes to school girls, from spoken word superstars to civil rights activists, from aristocratic ladies to kitchen maids, these are voices that deserve to be heard.

Collected by anthologist Ana Sampson She is Fierce:
Published September 6th 2018 by Macmillan Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about She is Fierce, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She is Fierce

Start your review of She is Fierce
She is Fierce: Brave, Bold and Beautiful Poems by Women is a collection of 150 poems written by women on a wide range of subjects. It includes everything from old favourites you may have already come across to new and modern voices, poems written by women of all different ages, races and from across different social and economic backgrounds.

It can be really hard to review poetry because it is so subjective but what's great about an anthology like this is that even if one poem isn't to your taste
No Books
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
‘If the first woman God ever made / was strong enough to turn the world / upside down, all alone / together women ought to be able to turn it / right side up again’ - Sojourner Truth

Just finished this collection of poems curated by Ana Sampson. It was so nice to explore the work of both wonderfully familiar female poets and to also discover new writers. It was really well arranged, and I loved the addition of the introductions to the different thematic sections. My favourite section was Courage
Orláith
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First posted on www.instagram.com/p/BoSBgeMFPbN

A few weeks ago I was very kindly sent a copy of @anabooks new poetry anthology, She is Fierce, by the lovely Amber from @panmacmillan.

Since then I've been reading a poem each night before bed and I am simply loving my new routine.
Ana has curated such a wonderful selection of poems that I am having to force myself to set the book down, to continue to read just one poem per night. Obviously, I could read more but I want to savour this book for as lon
Helen Gracie
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Utterly sensational.

This anthology is separated into core themes and includes works from the greats (Sylvia Plath, Maya Angelou, Christina Rossetti) as well as introducing some lesser known poets.

This book is now my go to for all comfort and inspiration needed to make it as a woman in this world.
Williesun
This was an interesting collection of poems by female authors throughout time. Ana Sampson arranged them by a couple of different themes, such as love, nature, death etc.

I would probably not have picked this one out for myself because poetry is difficult and so far I have liked collections from one specific author better than an amalgamation like this but I was given this as a present and I liked it. Got to experience some poets I would otherwise not have encountered probably and also some fave
Ellie Scott-Allen
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Loved the themes used for the chapters and the selection of poems. I think it would have been nice to have some historical context listed for the poems in some cases.
Ellen
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This poetry anthology collected by Ana Sampson encompasses many different amazing female poets from ancient to modern times. The topics that are covered also vary widely including body image, mental health and friendship.

I enjoyed many of the poems in this collection which surprised me as I do not usually like poetry as I struggle to understand it. Some of the poems I particularly enjoyed were poem in which my legs are accepted by Kathleen Fraser which was a memorable poem about loving your own
Lisa Bentley
Apr 29, 2020 rated it liked it
As I have gotten older I have come to appreciate poetry more than I did as a child. However, my love isn’t for the written word it is for the chosen nuances. I like studying the poem, looking at the writer and discovering why it was written. What is great about the She is Fierce collection is that some of the work is already done for you. You have the poem, you have it categorised into what type of poem it is and then you have a breakdown of the writer. Brilliant.

She is Fierce is a wonderful col
Ajay Sawant
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Anu
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite people gifted me this beautiful anthology of poems. Loved the little section on each poet at the back of the book. Helps appreciate the poems with an added layer of depth and context. I hang my favourite poem by my bedside. Saltwater by Finn Butler.

“Everyone who terrifies you is 65% water.
And everyone you love is made of stardust,
and I know
sometimes
you cannot breathe deeply, and
the night sky is no home, and
that you are down to your last two percent,
but
nothing is infinite,
not
Charline
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-challenge
I received this book in a Books That Matter subscription box last year, and like an idiot I've just got round to it now. The follow up She Will Soar actually came out last month, so expect a review from me in about 2022!

This anthology curated by Ana Sampson is filled with 150 poems by women. Do you ever feel like poetry just isn't for you? Do you ever feel intimidated or like you just don't get it? Well this book changed my mind. The dozens of page markers proof of many poems enjoyed and to be
Michelle
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful and empowering anthology of poems, written by incredibly talented women. I am particularly thrilled to see a poem by Nikita Gill in this collection. Growing up I thought I didn't like poetry, that I didn't understand it, that it wasn't for me, but I now know that it's about finding poems that strike a chord in me, words that I can relate to and that's what She Is Fierce is to me.
The narration of this book is gorgeous and I know it's one I'll listen to on Audible time and time again.
Ocean
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it
This book has confirmed that I'm just not that into poetry. I mean, there were some poems I really enjoyed, but I seem to only like poems that I can relate to. I didn't manage to connect with enough of these poems. That's not to say that the poems aren't good, they're just not my cup of tea. I absolutely love Andrea Gibson, so I know there is poetry out there for me, I'm just struggling to find it. I'm sure other people will love this book, don't let my review put you off, it's still worth readi ...more
Auro Books
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
2.5/5⭐

I feel bad for such a low rating and I feel like it's my fault for not understanding poetry, in general.

I don't think I can appreciate the poems as much as they are supposed to and that kind of annoys me.

I loved a few of them. I liked some of them. But I didn't understand most of them.

I read them and as I finished them I felt like I hadn't got the essence of them, didn't get the meaning and the message they wanted to transmit.

Mu favourite, though, is "Homage to My Hips" by Lucille Clifton.
rebecca
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it

As with anthologies, be it poetry or short stories, different taste is going to make it a mixed bag, but I really enjoyed the majority of these poems, & I loved how it was organised by theme. There were a lot of poets I'd never heard of whose work I'd like to look for now.
Grace
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was a good read but I thought there could’ve been other poets included, too. I particularly enjoyed Dorothy Parker’s features and it was a nice change from the standard novel that I usually read day-to-day!
J.J. Eden
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A stunning and powerful collection, She Is Fierce has something for every moment, every walk and phase of life. From the beautiful to the absurd, it offers a perfect taste of the powerful words of women. Thoroughly enjoyable and one I’ll be returning to again and again.
Tabrizia
Such an empowering and inspiring collection of poetry! I read some old favorites and discovered some new ones. I needed to read this. The words from this diverse collection of poets really uplifted me!
Nicole
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was beautiful and a joy to read.
Chelsea Chafin
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a very nice collection. It definitely made sure to have at least one poem for everyone present which is admittedly hard to do.
Kirsty Mcdougall
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great empowering collection! I have loved reading a few poems a day from this book.
Lily
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such an interesting read. Great diversity in poetry
Claudia Kay
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Not my favourite collection of poems. Some great ones hidden in there though.
Mair
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Poetry at her best!😉
Tracy Lawson
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Had to find some poems to send to inspirational women I know. This was brilliant. Some real gems in here.
Jessica
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
powerful, glorious, brave
Carla (carlaslittlelibrary)
3.5/5. Bit of a mixed bag (as expected), but there are a few gems in here, and really liked the idea behind this collection of poems.
Heather Nixon
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I was very kindly sent this bold and beautiful poetry collection from Ana Sampson which features various poets and writers including Emily Bronte, Kate Tempest, Margaret Atwood and many more.

I'll admit that I was a little nervous about starting this collection as I haven't read any poetry in so long and I've always thought that poetry was a little too abstract and intelligent for me (although I do have a BSc Hons degree). Aesthetically it would make for a lovely gift for literary lovers in your
VG
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
A nice volume of poetry; many familiar to me already, but enjoyable to re-read nonetheless.
Rox
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This book is a delight! 💖

• Little Book of Fairy Tales
  • Things a Bright Girl Can Do
  • Poems to Live Your Life By
  • Say Say Say
  • Truth to Power: 7 Ways to Call Time on B.S.
  • The Word for Woman is Wilderness
  • She Must Be Mad
  • En moderne familie
  • Gwendy's Magic Feather (The Button Box, #2)
  • The Marquise of O
  • A Beginner's Guide to Free Fall
  • Bloodlust & Bonnets
  • Little Siberia
  • Saltwater
Ana grew up in Kent. She studied English Literature at the University of Sheffield and gained a BA and MA before starting a career in publishing PR. Ana has contributed articles to various publications including Writers’ Market UK, The Book Club Bible (Michael O’Mara, 2007), Cringe and The Bookseller. I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud: And Other Poems You Half-Remember From School, her first anthology ...more

News & Interviews