Start by marking “In Servitude” as Want to Read:
In Servitude

In Servitude

When Grace’s beloved sister Glory dies in a car crash, her life spirals out of control.

She discovers Glory was indebted to a local crime lord and laundering money through her café. What’s worse, Grace is now forced to take over.

Defying her anxiety, Grace will stop at nothing to save herself and those Glory left behind from the clutches of Glasgow’s underworld. But her pla
Paperback, 1, 337 pages
Published August 23rd 2018 by Pollok Glen Publishing

To ask other readers questions about In Servitude, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Servitude

Start your review of In Servitude
✨Sumi's Books✨
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book!
Grace McBride has just found out her sister Glory died in a car crash. but Grace is not satisfied with the cut and dry way the officers have labeled her death. Grace is sure something has gone wrong. In her investigating she finds that her beloved sister had been doing less than reputable business of late. Even worse, Grace finds herself picking up where her sister left off. Grace now finds herself in a struggle to keep her hands clean and to find out what really happened to her sister
Hans
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has a very clever, original plot. Highly readable with loads of background, which I love. The characters are very real and believable. More please!
Shalini
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a story of two sisters Glory and Grace. Glory’s car accident and instant death has Grace is a state of near shock. She rushes to her brother in law Stephen’s home to help out with the kids. Over the days, the truth of Glory’s life soon reveals itself, making Grace scramble to keep up with the news of crime, blackmail, money laundering, underworld bosses, sleazy landlords. On top of that, Grace has to deal with the expectations and helplessness of her parents. Til she digs into the murky ...more
Lili  Marcus
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing

This book starts with our heroine, Grace, in panic upon receiving the news that her sister, Glory, is dead. From that first chapter, I already decided it's a good story. It should be because I have this belief that any  book that starts with a conflict would be a good one. Also I thought Grace would be an unreliable narrator.

I was right with the first, and wrong with the latter.

I should say that the blurb didn't help me at all at guessing what the book would be about. Or did it help me
Joanne Robertson
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was intrigued by reviews of In Servitude due to the setting plus the biography of the author herself! After checking out the fabulous reviews on Amazon (with an amazing 4.8 average out of 5 stars!) I knew that I just had to add it to my reading pile. And what a brilliant decision that turned out to be! In Servitude is an addictive “just one more chapter” read that I devoured in one evening.

Having a personal knowledge of the setting in a novel always increases my enjoyment of it and the author
Susan Hampson
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a heartbreaking opening. In the first chapter Grace is told that her sister Glory has been killed in the road accident. In the subsequent chapters she discovers that she had lost the sister she thought she had a long time ago because this was like some hellish alternate universe. Had her sister been murdered? And could she have possibly been the criminal that these low say she was?
Grace is a top class lady whose first thought was to protect her sister’s family from finding out what Glory ha
Ann Jones
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
In Servitude is a story of family drama, crime and captivating characters. Heleen Kist tells the story of Grace McBride after her sister dies in a car crash. Her planned out life is no longer what she thought it would be. The pressure mounts as Grace tries to figure out what her sister had gotten herself into before her death. Was it an accident or.... You will find twists and unexpected endings in this debut novel - In Servitude by Heleen Kist.
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This story really will make you have a think about how well you actually know your family and friends. When Grace’s sister Glory dies, she realises that there is a lot that she never really knew about her sister.

From the outside, Glory’s life is pretty much an idyllic one. A loving husband, two boys and a thriving cafe. Not all is as it seems though and as Grace gets more involved in her sisters life, the more she unravels.

I really liked Grace. The fact that she is grieving for her sister doesn’
Jessica Belmont
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book. I mean, the cover is gorgeous, and the synopsis drew me in, but I wasn’t expecting this book to be as incredible as it was. In Servitude has made it to my favorite books read this year.

The characters are so well developed and compelling. We are introduced to new characters in such a way that moves the plot along.

I’m obsessed with this plot. Twist after twist, In Servitude kept me hooked the entire time. I read this in only a few hours, and I couldn’t put it down. There’s betrayal, mur
Ovidia Yu
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As though losing a twin sister isn’t bad enough. Grace is dragged into the chaos of her dead sister's life and it does terrible things to her and her relationships. There were times I wanted to shake her, tell her to calm down... but then I realised it was not just what she was doing but also how she was being affected that made this gripping and terrifying. A small spoiler : the dog survives unhurt. I couldn’t recommend it otherwise!
Joann
WAY TO GO!! Thanks to a Goodread's friend for recommending this book. I needed a pick me up after some loser reads and this did the trick for me. This is a great tale of Grace dealing with the sudden death of her sister, Glory. There are some moral quandaries that are posed in this book. If there was a way for you to make easy money, would you do it knowing it would help alleviate the suffering of a family member? It’s funny that people will twist things to suit their needs if it’s something tha ...more
Amanda McGill
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
This was a great debut novel! Just when I thought things were finished, there was a shocker of an ending!

In Servitude dives into the theme of family and how much would you put yourself through in order to protect your family. Grace’s sister, Glory, passed away suddenly and after her death, Grace is left with a ton of questions, including did she know her sister. I was a bit surprised at how much Grace went through in order to protect her sister. It didn’t seem super realistic, especially with so
Misty's Book Space

First off I want to thank the author for providing me with a copy of this book via R&R Book Tours in exchange for my honest review.

I think this was a great debut novel. It touches on so many subjects and handles each one appropriately and tastefully. Every time I picked up this book I was sucked in and I didn't want to stop reading it. It was fast paced and the first chapter pretty much sets the mood for the entire book.

I really liked the main character Grace. Even though she is grieving the los
Beth (bibliobeth)
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
First of all, a huge thank you to the author, Heleen Kist for reaching out to me via Twitter and offering a complimentary digital copy of her debut novel, In Servitude in exchange for an honest review. As you may have realised if you've read my review policy recently, I'm being very selective about the books I will accept for review and am having to say "no" to the vast majority of them. I have a huge backlog of reviews, four bookshelves worth of unread books on my own TBR that I'd love to get t ...more
Kaben Egan
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Knowing that I travel a lot, always with kindle in hand, a friend who was working with the author, asked me to read In Servitude prior to it being published. When I travel, I like books I can put down, pick up later and then quickly jump back in, and In Servitude didn’t disappoint.

I found the characters and the story line of In Servitude quite enthralling. It’s written in such a way that new characters, most of whom revolve around the main character’s journey, are introduced with a twist or tur
Alyssa
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, thriller, suspense
Review originally posted at A Lovely Book Affair.

*Received a copy from the author/Digital Reads Blog Tours in exchange for an honest review.

** Actual rating: 4.5 stars

While thrillers and suspense are still part of a genre that is pretty new to me, I find them so, well, thrilling. The topic of financial crime was incredibly interesting, and even though I knew zero about it before reading this book and wouldn’t be able to explain for the life of me what some of those crimes actually entailed, I ap
Cheryl
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, it’s not my usual genre but I’m very glad I read it. The characters were great and I liked the way it kept me guessing, every time I thought I knew who was bad and who was good, another spanner was thrown into the works and I had to rethink. I also thought the end was very well written, I would definitely recommend it.
Fee (Ebook Addicts)
full review coming soon
Meggy - Chocolate'n'Waffles
Review to come!
Tere Fredericks
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Just WOW!

Wow! This story has so many twists and turns, just when you think you have it figured out, something else happens.

Just as the blurbs in the Kindle version's About This Book, this gets truly worrisome for the protagonist. Is this going to turn out okay for her? Who is her boyfriend, really? My paranoia showing here. No more of a partial spoiler here, if anything. (Obviously as I write this, I have no idea of what or how this will turn out.)

The end came out of nowhere. I am absolute
Kathy Starling
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You have GOT to read this book!!

Never have I read such a GREAT first book from an author. Miss Kist you have got to keep writing. the story line kept me turning the pages. your characters were so believable and had such depth. Thank you for letting me spend time reading your creation.
Average Sized Walter
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A real page-turner of a book that kept me going with 'just one more chapter' until I'd finished it all. The main character is believable and really engaging. There is a chilling sense of unease throughout the book, not knowing who she can trust. The story maintains crediblity throughout and yet still twists and turns in directions I didn't expect. I loved it.
Annelies Bol
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read for everyone that likes a fast paced, modern day crimestory with ‘real’ characters. “Nobody is all good or all bad”. Clever writing, many turns and twists - to the very end - but never chaotic. Hope there’s more to come from this promising new novelist!
Deren Beck
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The details of Glasgow were amazing as I have never been. But what captured me most were the suspenseful moments, right up until the ending. Normally, I can live without a lot of contrivances but I truly enjoyed the way she created these twists. I cannot wait for the next book. I'm a cat person, but I also loved the dog. Put an animal in there and you've got me...
DarkRaven Reviews
Absolutely thrilling. Loved this from start to finish. It always kept me on the edge of my seat and had so many twists and turns I never knew what was going to happen.
Amanda
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I do enjoy a good psychological thriller, so I was excited for the opportunity to receive this book for the Digital Blog Tours. As I stated above, the story is about Glory's sister, Grace, picking up the pieces after Glory's death from a car accident. So, not only does Grace have so much on her plate with her job and complicated relationship with boyfriend, Dave, but she also takes on helping her brother-in-law with her two nephews after Glory's passing.

Glory also had a cafe she ran so that mean
Joanne
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
In Servitude starts with very dramatic and emotional scenes as Grace discovers that her sister Glory has died in a car crash. In the nightmare days which follow she has to cope not only with her own shock and grief but also with her grieving brother-in-law, telling her young nephews about their mother and supporting her father and mother, who she also discovers has dementia. Grace has always been very close to her sister so it comes as quite a shock to find out that Glory has been keeping some r ...more
Chrissie Gerber
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Now, I have never shed tears in the first few chapters of a novel, but this one starts fast and completely engulfs you in a plot so twisted, that you won't see half of it coming even if you tried.

Grace gets thrown into a crazy tale of money laundering, that her sister seemed to be a part of, and Grace cannot fathom why her sister would ever involve herself in such a thing.  While trying to figure out just how far her sister got sucked into this world of crime and why; she comes up with multiple
Rekha
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In Servitude is a complete package of familial relationships, betrayal, justice, murder, trafficking, and love. Grace's struggle to 'fit in' everywhere - balancing work, boyfriend, parents and Glory's kids - I wonder how she actually managed to cope after all that she went through! Her mother's struggle with stroke and dementia; her father's devotion to looking after his beloved wife; Dave and Stephen's cold-heartedness; Adam and Noah's love for the aunt; Blue - the dog who knows the meaning of ...more
Jessica Bronder
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Grace and Glory are sisters. Then Glory is killed in a car accident. Grace decides to reopen her sisters vegan café her sister ran to help support Glory’s husband and children. But then she learns that Glory was into a lot more than she knew. Glory was laundering money and so much more. When Grace decided to reopen the café all of Glory’s past dealings have now fallen into her lap.

Oh my, where to begin. I was not expecting where this book was going to take me from the blurb. On the surface you h
« previous 1 3 next »

• I Am Dust
  • A Wash of Black (DI Erika Piper, #1)
  • The Hit List
  • The Amiestrin Gambit (The King's Daughter, #1)
  • The Subjugate (Salvi Brentt, #1)
  • Thread of Hope (Joe Tyler, #1)
  • Perfect Kill (D.I. Callanach, #6)
  • The Promise of Hades (The Hades Trials, #3)
  • The Bastille Spy
  • Eight Perfect Murders (Malcolm Kershaw, #1)
  • Killing Mind (D.I. Kim Stone #12)
  • Strangers
  • Fifty-Fifty (Eddie Flynn #5)
  • The Neighbour
  • The Chaos Circus
  • The Scarlet Code (Revolution Spy #2)
  • The Emerald Comb