Start by marking “Lightning Sky: A U.S. Fighter Pilot Captured During WWII and His Father's Quest to Find Him” as Want to Read:

A U.S. fighter pilot captured by the enemy. A father determined to rescue his son. One of the most remarkable and moving true stories of faith and perseverance to come out of World War II.

October 6, 1944. Twenty-year-old Army Air Corps Second Lieutenant David "Mac" Warren MacArthur was on a strafing mission over Greece when a round of 88-mm German anti-aircraft flak turne
Published April 30th 2019 by Citadel Press

To ask other readers questions about Lightning Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lightning Sky

Start your review of Lightning Sky: A U.S. Fighter Pilot Captured During WWII and His Father's Quest to Find Him
JD
May 05, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ww2-escapes
A hugely disappointing read for me. Even though the story about Dave MacArthur is very interesting and he certainly lived an adventurous life, the author has let him down and fumbled a potentially 5-star story. Firstly, the title and book description is a bit misleading, the P-38 Lighting after which the title is named, only features briefly as it is the plane in which he is shot down. Then about a quarter of the book is dedicated to describe MacArthur's training before being sent to Italy to fi ...more
Bev Walkling
Many thanks to #NetGalley and Kensington Books for allowing me to read this story in exchange for an honest review.

I was drawn to this book by the cover and by the description that it would be about a fighter pilot captured in World War Two and his Father’s search to find him and bring him home. As a parent, who could not be moved at this thought? I know that personally I would be willing to move heaven and earth to find any child of mine in such a situation.

I am no expert on American Aviators a
Bonnye Reed
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lightning Sky is an excellent story, based on the true events of the McArthur family during the U.S. involvement of World War II. This is a deeply moving work, following the career and capture of 20-year-old P-38 pilot Second Lieutenant David "Mac" McArthur with the Army Air Corp, captured by the Germans following a bail-out over Greece on August 6, 1944, and his Army father, Lieutenant Colonel Vaughn MacArthur, Chaplain for the 8th Armored Division with Patton's army.

This is a story of faith a
Rick Mitchell
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a good solid account of a WWII flyboy's capture and arduous journey as a POW until the end of the war. The tagline of a father's quest is a tad overwrought since the father did not learn of his son's capture until about 85% of the way through the book. Regardless, it is a good history of what very young men went through to fly fighters in WWII and the plight of POWs and citizens as the Nazis were losing the war.
Janet
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
R C George makes this story, supported by photos, memories, etc. come alive. It's a testimony to the power of the family bond. It reads like fiction but I am so amazed and delighted to say that this story is true!
Even though I knew the outcome I was riveted by the story and compelled to stay with it. I think this book would make a fantastic book discussion selection as there is so much material that I wanted to share and discuss after reading.
I received my copy through NetGalley under no oblig
Mike
May 07, 2019 added it
A very realistic recounting of a WW2 prisoner's ordeal in various prisoner of war camps.
Much more detailed than anything you have ever seen in a movie.
Details that we could never imagine in our lifetime.
A real hero's story.
Thought it was excellent.
Kristin
This is a well-written book about the story of Dave and how he managed to survive as a POW during WWII. It might have been a bit rushed in the end, but in general this was an interesting read.
Kathryn Veil
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. R.C. George tells the story of how Lieutenant Dave MacArthur became a fighter pilot during WWII and was later taken as a prisoner of war in Greece in October 1944, and how his father, Lieutenant Colonel Vaughn MacArthur, went to great lengths to find him and bring him home.
Dave MacArthur experiences some intense things during his time as a POW. He travels by train, car, plane and on foot. He attempts to escape multiple times. He is beaten, witnesses unspeakable at
Joy Kidney
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I bought "Lightning Sky" because of the P-38 on the cover, although there is precious little about combat in one. In fact, Dave MacArthur didn't even fly one until he arrived in Italy for combat, which is where my uncle, Daniel S. Wilson, was based 75 years ago. They served in the same 14th Fighter Group, based at the Foggia Airfield Complex near San Severo, but in different squadrons--at about the same time.

The book opens and closes with MacArthur's service in Korea, but the bulk of the story
Stan Skrabut
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
I cannot even begin to imagine. Lightning Sky: A U.S. Fighter Pilot Captured during WWII and His Father's Quest to Find Him is the story of David MacArthur. MacArthur was a fighter pilot in the U.S. Army Air Corps. He flew the P-38 Lightning and was shot down on a strafing mission over Greece. His story as told by R.C. George is riveting. Read more ...more
Steve
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An outstanding book of a story of a American Army Corps pilot, Second Lieutenant Dave MacArthur who was shot down over a mission in Greece by a German 88-mm anti-aircraft round in his P-38 Lightning on October 6, 1944. He was later captured and first sent to Dachau, then on to Stalag VII-A in Moosburg, Germany. At the same time, His father Lieutenant Colonel Vaughn MacArthur. Who was a chaplain with the 8th Armored Division of Patton's Third Army made it his mssion to search for him.
Haley Just
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story about perseverance and tenacity. Starts a little slower, but the author moves into the suspenseful part soon.
Melissa
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Interesting story, mostly about prisoner of war camps.
Tony Gilerovich
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

One of the better recollections of our American heroes and their experiences. Fascinating story.
Could use better editing, but I have seen a lot worse.
Donna Pachota
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great history

Very good historical book. Hard to imagine the horrors he went through. Interesting that he is local in Venice FL
Sarah Stout
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read! Dave MacArthur was a true patriot.
Melody Hill
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting story. Such tenacity. Good read for history buffs.
Signe
Jun 25, 2020
Ernest G
Jul 01, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
THE WORLD WAR TWO...: Q&A with R.C. George, author of "Lightning Sky" 23 27 Aug 04, 2019 11:00AM

• Biggest Brother: The Life of Major Dick Winters, the Man Who Led the Band of Brothers
  • Pretzel 06 Memories of a Forward Air Controller: Southeast Asia 1970-1971
  • The Nantucket Inn (Nantucket Beach Plum Cove #1)
  • A Killing in the Hills  (Bell Elkins, #1)
  • One Night Gone
  • Hitler's Spy Chief: The William Canaris Mystery
  • A Bullet Through the Helmet: A Vietnam Dustoff Pilot's Memoir
  • All Blood Runs Red: The Legendary Life of Eugene Bullard-Boxer, Pilot, Soldier, Spy
  • Buried Deep
  • The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz
  • The Art of Resistance
  • Unknown Valor: A Story of Family, Courage, and Sacrifice from Pearl Harbor to Iwo Jima
  • Kiss the Girls and Make Them Cry
  • Nantucket Neighbors (Nantucket Beach Plum Cove, #2)
  • Body Of Proof
  • Race of Aces: WWII's Elite Airmen and the Epic Battle to Become the Masters of the Sky
  • Every Man a Hero: A Memoir of D-Day, the First Wave at Omaha Beach, and a World at War
  • Task Force Baum