Start by marking “A Green Place to Be: The Creation of Central Park” as Want to Read:
A Green Place to Be: The Creation of Central Park

A Green Place to Be: The Creation of Central Park

How did Central Park become a vibrant gem in the heart of New York City? Follow the visionaries behind the plan as it springs to green life.

In 1858, New York City was growing so fast that new roads and tall buildings threatened to swallow up the remaining open space. The people needed a green place to be -- a park with ponds to row on and paths for wandering through trees
Published March 12th 2019 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about A Green Place to Be, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Green Place to Be

Skip
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
In 1858, New York City requested bids for the creation of Central Park. Two visionaries (Calvert Vaux and Frederick Law Olmstead) created what would be a template for many other cities, turning a mud pit with squatters into the first of America's landscaped public parks. Ashley Yazdani has beautifully illustrated and written about the 34 unique bridges, master gardens, fountains, pagodas, and so much more, covering 840 acres, built over 13 years. She even tossed in a challenge at the end for you ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
This is a book likely to be of the greatest interest to families with a connection to New York. I grew up around 90 miles north of Manhattan, and I was fascinated by the city as a kid, but my Maryland-born daughters don't yet have the context for being interested in the details of New York City history, so I haven't shared the book with them. For New Yorkers, though, this will be a welcome addition to libraries and classrooms.

I noted that the illustrations - particularly those of the present da
Sara - thelookingglassreads
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
An entertaining and informative book about the creators/creation of Central Park. I didn't know anything about the history of Central Park prior to reading this and it educated me quite a lot!

We learn about how Frederick Law Olmsted a Calvert Vaux came up with the idea for the park and how they did it. I learned that the men were both environmentalists and wanted a taste of nature's serenity and beauty in the middle of a bustling city.

They took a muddy mess and made it into an international lan
KC
A well crafted and wonderfully illustrated telling of how Central Park was created and established.
Zoey
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Beautiful illustrations. A great read for 7-10 yr olds. I love that the extra information in the back of the book also had illustrations and fascinating descriptions of the changes. I really enjoyed getting explanations of what the architects were thinking from the tree choices to the squirrel population. Great inspiration as well about seeing enough of the future to create lasting beauty for all to enjoy.
J.L. Slipak
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
MY THOUGHTS:

I received this book in exchange for my honest review.

Taking a rather extraordinary historical moment and creating a picture book to help children visually see how the Central Park was created is quite the project to take on. This book definitely lays out the creative construction of the park, including many historical milestones such as the lake creation for winter skating and summer boating/trail enjoyment. The era is the 1800s when all this occurred.

The artwork that accompanies th
Lynn
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this fascinating story of the creation of Central Park by two really brilliant far-sighted people, Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux!

Yazdani does an outstanding job with this debut picture book. Her informational text is clearly presented and and wonderfully suited to young readers, both those that are familiar with the park and those who aren't. Excellent back matter includes additional information about the Olmsted and Vaux, fascinating tidbits about the architecture, bridges and
Margie
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Whether you are a city, country or in-between-city-and-country dweller, walking into a protected, dedicated natural place for public use is like entering a sanctuary. The hours and days spent in local, state and national parks have a lasting beneficial effect on our minds. The more often we can experience what these spaces have to offer, the more inclined we are to seek them repeatedly. Their worth is immeasurable.

More than 160 years ago the first of America's landscaped public parks was formed
Adrienne
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Debut writer-illustrator Ashley Benham Yazdani has done an exquisite job of exploring and explaining the creation of this famous man-made park. Acknowledging the people who inhabited the area prior to the creation of the park, to fascinating back matter, and everything in between, Ms. Yasdani's beautiful, detailed illustrations compliment the thoroughly absorbing text. I delighted in following the squirrel from the crate onward, and looked for it on every page, even before reading about the squi ...more
Diane
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Did you ever wonder how Central Park in New York City came about? If so, this is a book for young and old alike. 1858, NYC, Calvert Vaux and Frederick Law Olmstead came up with a winning design for Central Park A stunning place with some 34 unique bridges, master gardens everywhere, fountains, pagodas and so much more. This book is detailed and fascinating and, whether you are young or old, I'm sure you will enjoy learning about the park's creation. Stunning illustrations as well.
Cathy Breisacher
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stunning. Gorgeous. Fascinating. Ashley Benham Yazdani's wonderful book tells the story of how Central Park in NYC came about, and the architects who had the vision for it. The park is a gem, and so is this book.
Sue Poduska
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This fascinating story of the development of that area is entertaining an eye opener for the reader. It would be a great addition to a classroom unit on conservation, history, or the importance of green spaces.
Judy Desetti
Very interesting book on how NYC Central Park was created.
Golem
Miss Amanda
Apr 05, 2019
Leah NYC
Mar 22, 2019
Ashley Benham Yazdani holds an MFA from the Illustration Practice Program at the Maryland Institute College of Art and a BFA in illustration from California College of the Arts. A Green Place to Be is her debut picture book.