Start by marking “Beware of the Crocodile” as Want to Read:
Beware of the Crocodile

Beware of the Crocodile

(Nature Storybooks)

Explore an informative, playfully illustrated story about one of the world's most dangerous animals: the crocodile.

You probably know a little about crocodiles already. They're reptiles, they have an awful lot of teeth, and they're pretty scary -- at least, the big ones are! They're not very fussy about what they eat, and when it comes to hunting down dinner, crocodiles are
Published March 12th 2019 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Beware of the Crocodile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beware of the Crocodile

Sunday
Seriously - I thought, "Oh, another book about animals" BUT NO!!! REALLY interesting CONTRAST for young readers--the narrator begins with a discussion of how scary crocodiles are, describing how they wait for and attack their prey AND THEN the narrator describes how crocodiles (females) are very good parents. "But there's more to crocodiles than SPLASH, snap, twirl, swallow. You might be surprised to hear that..." (p. 16). These are the two main topics in this book - the crocodile as a predator ...more
Becky
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
First sentence: If there's one thing you should know about crocodiles, it's that they've really scary--or at least the big ones are. They've got an awful lot of teeth.

Premise/plot: This is a nonfiction book about crocodiles. It opens with a crocodile getting ready--waiting--to eat...

Sooner or later, something passing by, something with a bit of meat on it, will decide that it's thirsty and needs a drink. And then? Then they'll be a sudden lunge and a tremendous splash. A
MaryLibrarianOH
Factual book about crocodiles that is written in a narrative style.
DaNae
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Crocodiles are terrifying and also good parents.
Paula
The reviewer picked up a copy of this book thinking it was a picture book. An image of a crocodile opening its jaw is on the cover and the title font suggests a story where other characters should be aware of the crocodile. Reading it, it fits better in the nonfiction category. It discusses the eating habits of a crocodile but also the wonderful job a mother crocodile does taking care of her babies. Fortunately it skips the details that are gruesome after the “twirling and thrashing” but does me ...more
Alice
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-beehive
I've been about 10 feet from an American Crocodile at Hilton Head South Carolina, I/We should have been scared, but we had just been to Gator land, and we learned a lot about their behavior and we were smart, and not scared. (We kept our distance and admired..we didn't charge or make loud noises like a dooffuses )
This is a great book. I read this through an Inter Library Loan and I think our Library should buy this!
Melissa
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was very informative and entertaining.

(dramtic annoucer voice) "Then there'll be a sudden LUNGE and a remendous SPLASH. An then? Oh, dear. What happens next is rather gruesome. In fact it's so gruesome that we should skip the details. Let's just say there's a lot of TWILRING and THRASHING, and then things go a bit quiet."

Then there is the page with the look of the little croc who might get eaten. Priceless.
stillme
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
A early nonfiction picture book. But I was bothered by "what happens next is so gruesome that we should skip the details" then maybe this nonfiction picture book isn't for you. We read nonfiction FOR the details.
My son (7) prefers The Truth about Crocodiles by Maxwell Eaton III for greater information and humor.
Allison
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A fun information picture book that reads almost like a story. Teh indirect way it describes the death of animals at the hands of the crocodile was very clever. ("let's just say there's a lot of twirling and thrashing, and then things go a bit quiet." "oh dear") The information is interesting, the illustrations are good.
Barbara
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Crocodiles have an awful lot of teeth and they are not at all picky about what they eat as long as it has a bit of meat on it. Learn these facts and more in the book Beware of the Crocodile by Martin Jenkins. This book has creepy enough facts to keep older kids reading and soft enough illustrations for the youngest zoologists. For ages 4 - 10.
Beverly
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read for Mock Caldecott Awards voting. Although I liked this book, it was not a whimsical tale about the crocodile but rather an informative story about how the crocodile waits for prey and raises their young. I liked the illustrations and there is nothing detailed about their meal stalking but I think some children could be frightened by it.
Sue Poduska
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Don’t be fooled by the lively illustrations in this great new book. It’s surprisingly informative and still a lot of fun. It’s not some outlandish tale about an anthropomorphic crocodile-like creature. The actions taken are real actions a crocodile might take.
Peacegal
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Kids are fascinated by toothsome critters like dinosaurs, sharks, and of course, crocodiles. This book celebrates crocs and all they can do--from eat an entire wild boar to gently tend their eggs and babies.
Meredith
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow! Perfect for the kids who want more animal books. Lots of facts presented with drama and sometimes a little bit of gruesomeness. Too bad neither creator is American, so I can't use it for Mock Caldecott next year.
Rebecca Ann
This hilarious and ominous mashup of fiction and hilarious narration make for an amazing read aloud for kids most interested in nonfiction and fact-based books. Not for the faint of heart as there are allusions to people/animals getting eaten.
Mary Norell Hedenstrom
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
The life cycle of crocodiles.
Miss Sarah
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nonfiction picture book about the life cycle of a crocdile told in an easy to follow way. Elementary and up
Peter
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Excellent informational picturebook.
Emily
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was a little scary for a children's book, but it was a fun read!
Mandy
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: K-2
(3.5 stars)
Kristin
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Note to self for the future: This is a good book that reads more like a picture book, but it's too raw for story time.
Ann
Nonfiction that reads like a picture book. Good information and illustrations. Possible for a school age program.
Laura Salas
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love the text, though I'm having a hard time getting over how snub-nosed the crocs look throughout the book...
Deanna
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun read.
Chrissy
Fun intro to a cool animal, this book plays heavy on the "scary" crocodile part, but that's what will often attract the kids.
Robin
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Snappy picture book nonfiction. Reads aloud well and super high appeal, with great science content. Highly recommended for ages 4-7.
Edward Sullivan
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lively, fun, and informative introduction to the reptile.
Krissy Neddo
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Reminded me of a story I read to Kindergarten every year- Alligator at Sawgrass Road.
Inge
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Suitably terrifying.
Lorrie
May 12, 2019 added it
Shelves: picture-books, 2019
3rd/4th grade.
Martin Jenkins, a conservation biologist, has written several nonfiction books for children, including Ape, Grandma Elephant’s in Charge, The Emperor’s Egg, and Chameleons Are Cool. He lives in Cambridge, England.

Nature Storybooks (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • White Owl, Barn Owl