Start by marking “Super Thinking: The Big Book of Mental Models” as Want to Read:
Super Thinking: The Big Book of Mental Models

Super Thinking: The Big Book of Mental Models

A Wall Street Journal Bestseller!

"You can't really know anything if you just remember isolated facts. If the facts don't hang together on a latticework of theory, you don't have them in a usable form. You've got to have models in your head."
- Charlie Munger, investor, vice chairman of Berkshire Hathaway

The world's greatest problem-solvers, forecasters, and decision-makers
Published June 18th 2019 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about Super Thinking, please sign up.
Adrian Salajan yes, you get exposed to some models that can be really useful in life

Start your review of Super Thinking: The Big Book of Mental Models
Demi Yilmaz
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love mental models but this book can't even install 1 of them to the readers mind. It is a list of 100s of mental models explained in a few sentences.

This should not have been a book but a list of mental models instead, maybe a webpage or something. I'm not sure what was Gabriel thinking turning this into a book but each mental model deserves its own course, practices, posts & examples. Each mental model can be turned in to small books. But cramming 100s of them into a single book like this i
Book
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
As I read this book, I would get up and go see myself in front of a mirror and say "You know nothing John Snow" lol. This is one of those books that will change your life, uproot it, twist it, it will literally chew you and spit out. It combines the traditional and machine wisdom/learnings that is well written with examples to understand.
You will think about your friends, family, co-workers, all the events in the past, all the living and non-living. You would remember how some of these mental mo
Matt Cannon
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I saw a tweet from Annie Duke saying the world would improve immediately if everyone read this book, I had to check it out. https://twitter.com/annieduke/status/... I wasn’t disappointed. This book is simple, easy to follow and gives mental models that greatly help your decision making. It has a heavy Charlie Munger influence and feel throughout the book which was an added bonus. The authors quote him often and use him and Warren Buffett in several examples. I also appreciated that it was w ...more
Van Tran
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mental Models applied in real life context.

The book did an excellent job by connecting mental models in real life context using a storytelling style rather an academic listing of the models.

Highly recommend.
Miles
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Before starting it, I had misgivings about whether Lauren McCann and Gabriel Weinberg’s Super Thinking would be worthwhile for me to read. This was mainly because I have already studied a lot of mental models from various fields of research, and also because it seemed a bit too self-helpy for my taste. But my best friend bought me a copy, so I took it up in order to discuss with him.

To its credit, Super Thinking is probably the most comprehensive and up-to-date collection of mental models––”recu
Sebastian Gebski
No star rating - I think it would rely too much on individual context.

ST is a book about everything and nothing.
"Mental models" are framed (named) concepts than encapsulated knowledge and observation to simplify reasoning and problem solving. But the problem is ... they are everywhere, it's hard to classify them, they have very different origins and they are products of very different disciplines or just streams of thought.

That's why this book basically feels like an aggregation of other books s
Franta
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book.
The authors apparently wrote the book for themselves which makes it even more useful and valuable.
I would have personally used even more pictures/graphs to explain and compare ideas/behavior.

A book worth returning to...
Anand Vatsya
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I picked this up for two reasons,

1. I've read Gabriel's first book - Traction, and found it immensely helpful.

2. I'm a big fan of mental models. Have read Robert Cialdini, Dan Kahnemann, Dan Ariely, Malcolm Gladwell, Richard Thaler & a bunch of others, including being a regular at Farnam Street. (though haven't been able to consistently use more than a handful of them)

So, picking a book being portrayed as a single treasure trove, from a validated author, seemed like a no-brainer. But, I'd have t
Casey Ryan
Sep 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Had high hopes for this book, as I need some more mental models in my life. I devour a ton of information, and can often have trouble recalling or applying it. This book was more common sensical best practices for leading efficient careers, relationships or organizations. A few things I knew before, but most stuff was putting a label on things that are common sense, theories from first year courses in social sciences or business. Took me a while to get through, and we'll see if any of it sticks
Alison Jones
Back in the late 1980s, I stumbled across a book entitled Cultural Literacy: What every American needs to know. I wasn’t sure whether this was more brilliant or bonkers: how could you ever hope to capture everything a person should know about their world into a single book? But on the other hand, how handy is that?

To be fair, Super Thinking doesn’t attempt to cover every aspect of life, only mental models, but it feels similarly ambitious and dizzying. It contains more than 300 models – an aver
Sam Moreton
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The most practical book on mental models I've found to date.. and I've read a lot of them.
Adrien Lemaire
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have found my new favorite book, and wrote 278 Anki cards to memorize all these mental models shared in the book.

This is not a book to read casually, you probably wouldn't remember much of it. This is a book to read slowly, study and remember.

Thank you Gabriel Weinberg and Laurent McCann for taking the time to write this book. It will help me for many years to come.
I wish I had it 15 years ago, but life is a never-ending self-improvement experience. Looking forward to changing from cargo-cult
AlAsh
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another Blinkist... The titles in this book might sound big and intimidating, but how the author has explained them and provided an example for each made the concept so simple and relatable.
I might buy/get the actual book to add it to my collection.
Ahmad Abugosh
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Nothing groundbreaking (to be honest I was expecting more), but it was nice to read about all of the popular mental models together in one place.
Jrene
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Exciting and interesting approaches, but somehow too much due to the quantity to really absorb and apply in everyday life.
Adam
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An extremely readable / accessible approach towards a wide variety of mental models and how to move them into your life.
Tyler Fitt
May 14, 2020 rated it really liked it

Book has a lot of useful information and does appear to be a good starter for the self help genre. That being said if you have ready many self help books, I would give this a pass as you will find many repetitive ideas.
Bemmu
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Packed with short descriptions of all the mental models the founder of Duck Duck Go feels are essential to know. He mentioned in a podcast interview that this grew out of notes he had written for employees.

I’m not sure how to rate this, as it feels a bit like rating an encyclopedia. Yes, it certainly packs a lot of mental models, but is also pretty exhausting to read, and has to be digested in small bits, as you are introduced to a new idea on every page. Then again, that’s the opposite of the u
Haur Bin
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
A good collection of mental models extracted from various disciplines, which if applied properly, can help broaden one’s perspective. Very similar to Charlie Munger’s emphasis on breadth of knowledge and when magic happens when a confluence of factors across a broad spectrum manifest themselves in a lollapalooza effect.

A few mental models that stood out:

1. Argue from first principles - go back to basics and figure out what are we really trying to solve
2. Be aware that your views are being frame
Alex
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A couple of gems, and a few reminders of useful mental models.
Alessandro Orlandi
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I agree with people who said that it's not really a book on mental models. It could have took a name of Thoughts on things. Because actually makes some reflections on various aspects and define problems and how to think about them. I was expecting more a book that related to Poor Charlie Almanac, with a set of mental model which can help to relate with the world. The author has attempted to explain too much in very few pages, who actually leads to have very little added info on on many different ...more
Sigmund Sundelin
Jul 26, 2019 rated it liked it
It's got some pretty good "mental models" that I didn't know of, and the descriptions are easy to follow. However, I was a bit disappointed that a big part of the book was spent on "mental models" that are pretty much only relevant for people working in, or leading, businesses. I was hoping for "mental models" that would be more generally useful. That being said, there were a lot of interesting "mental models" in the first half of the book that I'll definitely remember.
Dušan Mrkvička
Damn you, self-help books. Why do I always think the next one will be worth my time?

When I heard Gabriel Weinberg speaking on The Knowledge Project podcast, I was quite excited. The guy was obviously smart and our mindsets seemed to resonate on the same frequency. Apart from the dickish title, Super Thinking promised to be an interesting book. Unfortunately it did not manage to deliver what it promised. Even though it is not a complete failure, it still felt like a complete waste of time.

The cen
Omar El-mohri
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, audio-copy
A very successful summary of mental models that you might read elsewhere, but putting them in a more integrated way is really important
Dani0010
Oct 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
Rehashed, tired compendium of other self improvement literature. Nothing original. Complete waste of time.
Kasujja Xavier
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In Super Thinking, Gabriel and Lauren succeed in distilling mental models into a highly digestible form. While the subject is not new to me, I believe that one would be hard-pressed to find such a large number of models interlinked the way the authors do. The structured approach used in this book and the use of everyday examples makes the book highly useable on a day-to-day basis.

I highly recommend Super Thinking to everyone who would like to take their thinking to the next level.
Manoj Mahalingam
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Learnt a lot, but more importantly, I now also have pointers to go deeper into understanding and utilising many of models mentioned. Serves as a very good intro on the topic. Loved the fact that the book references a lot of books and I have read or heard about only a handful of them, so my reading list has grown much bigger.
Yapee
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pretty disappointed with this book. It does not provide much details about the mental models in question, like why or when they work. It basically just lists them with a couple examples to illustrate or aid memorization. In my opinion, on any of the topics that you've heard about you will get no new information. Instead, most of the value of this book is in bringing your attention to things that you might not have previously seen.
Austin Millard
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Any time a book can significantly change the way you look at life on a daily basis it’s worth 5 stars.
Douglas
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Great Mental Models: General Thinking Concepts
  • Mental Models: 30 Thinking Tools that Separate the Average From the Exceptional. Improved Decision-Making, Logical Analysis, and Problem-Solving.
  • Alchemy: The Surprising Power of Ideas That Don't Make Sense
  • Loserthink: How Untrained Brains Are Ruining America
  • The Surprising Science of Meetings: How You Can Lead Your Team to Peak Performance
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • Life Lessons from a Brain Surgeon
  • The Man Who Solved the Market: How Jim Simons Launched the Quant Revolution
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Start at the End: How to Build Products That Create Change
  • How to Be a Capitalist Without Any Capital: The Four Rules You Must Break to Get Rich
  • Loonshots: How to Nurture the Crazy Ideas That Win Wars, Cure Diseases, and Transform Industries
Since 2008, I've been the CEO & Founder of DuckDuckGo, the Internet privacy company that empowers you to seamlessly take control of your personal information online, without any tradeoffs. Our private search engine is #4 in the U.S., Germany, Australia and dozens of other countries, answering over 9 billion queries in 2018.

I also co-authored Super Thinking: The Big Book of Mental Models (Penguin P

News & Interviews

“Avoid succumbing to the gambler’s fallacy or the base rate fallacy. Anecdotal evidence and correlations you see in data are good hypothesis generators, but correlation does not imply causation—you still need to rely on well-designed experiments to draw strong conclusions. Look for tried-and-true experimental designs, such as randomized controlled experiments or A/B testing, that show statistical significance. The normal distribution is particularly useful in experimental analysis due to the central limit theorem. Recall that in a normal distribution, about 68 percent of values fall within one standard deviation, and 95 percent within two. Any isolated experiment can result in a false positive or a false negative and can also be biased by myriad factors, most commonly selection bias, response bias, and survivorship bias. Replication increases confidence in results, so start by looking for a systematic review and/or meta-analysis when researching an area.” 1 likes
“Campbell’s law) in his 1979 study, “Assessing the Impact of Planned Social Change.” He explains the concept a bit more precisely: “The more any quantitative social indicator is used for social decision-making, the more subject it will be to corruption pressures and the more apt it will be to distort and corrupt the social processes it is intended to monitor.” 1 likes