Start by marking “The Jamestown Brides: The untold story of England's 'maids for Virginia'” as Want to Read:
The Jamestown Brides: The untold story of England's 'maids for Virginia'

The Jamestown Brides: The untold story of England's 'maids for Virginia'

In 1621, fifty-six English women crossed the Atlantic in response to the Virginia Company of London's call for maids 'young and uncorrupt' to make wives for the planters of its new colony in Virginia. The English had settled there just fourteen years previously and the company hoped to root its unruly menfolk to the land with ties of family and children.
While the women tr
Published October 4th 2018 by Atlantic Books

To ask other readers questions about The Jamestown Brides, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jamestown Brides

Linda
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This history of a group of women who were sent to the Jamestown colony in 1621 to become brides of the planters was quite interesting. (This was read from a pre publication eARC from Edelweiss). As the first English colony in the new world Jamestown has always been researched. But as a colony that really did not do well for quite a few years the records are not always available to explain what actually happened during the first 20+ years. As the author is drawn into researching this topic she ha ...more
Robert
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I struggle between a few things here. I loved the walk through local James River historic settings, Jennifer did a great job putting characters and events together.

What I struggle with is the sheer lack of material from which to write such a book. Don't get me wrong here, I'm very happy that Jennifer wrote this much needed book. There's simply very little written about these Jamestown Brides, but at the same time, there's just not much to write a 300+ page book. So Jennifer had to in
Jessie Tanner
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I have little idea what drew me to this. It’s a history, but not written by a historian? The cover is decidedly chick lit-y, and I almost never read non-fiction for fun. Nonetheless, I felt compelled to read it.

There are some really interesting passages, but I think little about what I enjoyed in this book is actually about the women the book purports to be about. That the women could probably not write and thus basically left no record of who they were except in terms of their fathers’ and hus
Mike Shoop
Some excellent information gathered here, but it's not a very entertaining sort of read, even though I am greatly interested in the subject matter. More scholarly than popularly written, which is fine, but I wish it had had more of a narrative story flow to it, rather than just presenting the facts. Would have made it far more compelling and interesting. I'll give it 3 stars just for the information alone.
Karen
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very interesting glimpse into the lives of some of the young English women who chose to come to an unfamiliar country to find husbands. I especially enjoyed learning about the women's lives and homes and surroundings in England before their departure. What a shock it must have been to be living in the woods and bays of Virginia.
Thank you for these stories Jennifer Potter.
Aishuu
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is one of those heavily padded speculative histories of a topic that just isn't documented well enough to be made a book of. The speculation is well-grounded, but it would be better suited as a longform article or a section in a wider book about Jamestown/Early American or feminist history.
Janilyn Kocher
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Potter offers great insight into the story of the women brought to Virginia as brides. I liked how she had three chapters on individual women and provided the lists of the women's names. I enjoyed her thoughtful endnote. This monograph offers much to the historiography of early colonial America. Thanks to Edelweiss for the advance read.
Cindi Reardon