Start by marking “Grandpa's Stories” as Want to Read:
Grandpa's Stories

Grandpa's Stories

One young girl reflects on a year with her beloved grandpa. She remembers the fields and parks they explored in the springtime and the old toys they fixed up in the summer. She remembers the handmade gifts they exchanged in the fall and the stories Grandpa told by the fi re each winter. But this year, the girl must say good-bye to Grandpa. In the face of her grief, she is ...more
Published April 2nd 2019 by Harry N. Abrams (first published June 7th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Grandpa's Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grandpa's Stories

Start your review of Grandpa's Stories
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
If All The World

I apologise. This review comes from the heart and not the mind. Please bear with me - this book has tugged at my heartstrings and stabbed me straight through.

As of July, my grandmother will have been gone from this world for 3 years. She was such an integral part of my life that I still feel a gaping hole in my chest that never gets smaller.

"If all the world were springtime, I would replant my grandad's birthdays so that he would never get old."

These words cling to my very soul.
PattyMacDotComma
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents, grandparents, aunties, uncles, teachers, everybody!
5★++
“If all the world were memories, the past would be rooms I could visit and in each room would be my grandad.”

The author says on the (back) cover “For everyone who misses someone.”
What a wonderful idea and what a wonderful book! A young child shows us what it’s like going through the seasons with Granddad.

Illustration of walking hand in hand with Granddad in the spring and seeing a bird’s nest.

I can’t confirm whether the child is a girl or a boy, and I suspect that’s probably the point. A
[Shai] Bibliophage
If All the World is a children's storybook that narrates the story of a little girl and his memories with his late grandad. Those who can read this would undoubtedly be touched by the compelling memories and wishes of the girl for his grandpa. One of the most poignant lessons that readers can get from the story is that the love by our loved ones may still linger or stay with us, even if they are already gone.
Carol (Bookaria)
This is a children's story about family, love, and loss.

The book is beautifully illustrated and is written in a poetic and engaging prose. Each page has colorful images depicting a little girl's time spent with her grandfather until one day the he is no longer in the picture.

The book does not describe explicitly how the child deals with the loss but we learn how she copes with it by watching the activities she's engages in after he's gone.

While reading this book images of my loving grandparen
Hilary
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children who have lost a grandparent
Recommended to Hilary by: Found in the library
A little girl tells of all the things she loves to do with her grandad. One day he dies and they clear his house and the little girl finds a book that she decides to write memories of their time together in. The illustrations were very nice, lovely colours and an interesting style. I don't think you'd want to read this with a child unless they were suffering from the loss of a grandparent. I didn't like how the grandfather tells the little girl who looks about 4 or 5 that she's too old to hold h ...more
Emma
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully illustrated book dealing with bereavement of a grandparent and the memories the child had. Coelho remembers himself how drawing, recording , writing stories were all so important to him growing up and the child in the book is encouraged to record her feelings and memories in just such a way. Suitable for children 3 to 9.
Jane
In If All the World, author Joseph Coelho has written an understated story that packs a huge emotional punch. I do not have the words to express how truly lovely this book is, but the illustrations by Allison Colpoys certainly do it justice.

I highly recommend this read for people of all ages as a reminder that even though we're all missing people, our memories of those who are gone help us to keep them alive in our hearts.

Thank you to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group - Frances Lincoln C
James
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really nice book (Joseph Coelho) with very lovely illustrations throughout (Allison Colpoys) - with difficult subject matter, it's all about a child coping with loss and bereavement. 'If all the world were..' is effectively, simply, unpretentiously and affectingly told. ...more
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Thank you Netgalley and Quarto Publishing Group (Frances Lincoln Childrens) for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The author says on the back cover that this book is dedicated to everyone who misses someone. The story is something that I think everyone can relate to. We've all lost someone and we all miss them. The art was beautiful and really colorful. The story was touching. It teaches us that we all lose people and what's important is for us to keep their
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews
*** Note: I received e-ARC of this book via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks to Publishers and NetGalley. ***

Book is about little girl who loved her granddad dearly and carries his memory along with her. I liked the blurb and purpose of writing the book.

Book started with little girl telling the activities she did with her granddad in different seasons and shows her love for granddad by telling how happy she was how much she enjoyed all the time of all season with her gran
Etienne
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A tribute to all the grand-father and a story about love and grief! The illustration where not particularly my style but it was a good match for this story. A short story that will goes straight to your heart!
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This book was especially moving to our family having lost my husband and my grandchildren's grandfather less than two years ago. This book depicts a young girl's love for her granddad and how they spend time together, her wishing it would never end. When he dies, she copes with the situation and uses a notebook he made for her to write and draw her memories while dealing with her grief. The book is written by poet and playwright Joe Coelho with wonderful illustrations by Allison Colpoys. This is ...more
Andrea Hunter
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully written and illustrated story celebrating life and exploring grief.
Emma
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful, colourful illustrations accompany this moving story about the loving relationship between grandfather and granddaughter which is suitable and enjoyable for all ages. The bright colours symbolise the happiness felt when the girl is with her granddad. The book is good for teaching about inclusion as the characters are both Indian so with older children discussion of different cultures could be incorporated. When her granddad passes away, the girl is sad, but thinking about and rememberi ...more
Bev
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh this utterly gorgeous picture book gave me all the feels, I just wanted to hug it (and it's adorable little girl) to my chest! I had tears in my eyes at the end, definitely one of my favourite picture books that I've read so far this year. Great for children dealing with bereavement yes but also just a beautiful story to share with little ones that you love. The relationship between the girl and her grandfather is so sweetly described and drawn that your heartstrings are tugged from the first ...more
Suz
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book portrays the beautiful relationship between a grandad and his grandchild throughout the seasons and the way they explore the world together. My 6 year old son really enjoyed it although he didn’t pick up on the fact that the grandad passed away until I explained how this was portrayed.
Bookishrealm
Such a heart-breaking picture book. I lost both my great-grandmother and my grandmother in the past year and it was sort of difficult to read this book, but it reminded me that even in their passing I still have all of my memories with them. I think that this is such a powerful picture book and definitely one that can be used to assist children in learning more about death and how to cope with death.
Merri Jordan
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love love love this picture book. A beautiful story about love and loss accompanied by amazing illustrations. This book highlights that even though someone has died it does not mean that the memories have also gone. A book that I would definitely recommend to a child who has lost someone close to them.
Ruth MacLaren
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I took this out of the library on a bit of a whim, as one tends to in libraries. I am aware it’s a children’s book, but the illustrations were so joyful and the poem so moving that I found myself staring at every page for ages. If all the world were this little book, it would be a much better place to live in.
KC
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I loved the illustrations but the story was a bit lacking-the message was there though.
Miss Jenny
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excerpt of a review that was originally published on my website: Miss Jenny's Classroom

The core of this story is about death and how it impacts family and individuals. In this instance it focuses on the granddaughter who clearly has a bond with her grandad and feels the loss of his passing greatly. Little things in the story - like how he buys her a secondhand race track and they fix it together and then play - were not only touching but also breaks a bit of a taboo I see of "secondha
Death is always hard for a child. Heck death is hard for adults, but it is espcially hard for children because they have nothing to compare it to. Sure, they may have lot a pet, but losing a grand parent is the first big death that most children experience.

This is such a sweet gentle book about all the memories the little girl has of her grandfather, throughout the year, and how much she loved him, and how sad she is that she can not have those walks with him.

She says, after his passing:

If all t
Faith
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalleyarc
If All the World Were... is a beautiful picture book focusing on the close relationship a granddaughter has with her grandfather. Through the change of seasons, we witness the special times they shared, as well as wishes the granddaughter has ("If all the world were springtime, I would replant my grandad's birthdays so that he would never get old").

As the year passes, there is a growing sense of nostalgia; we learn grandad's health is failing, and at the close of the book, he has passed away and
Laura (Book Scrounger)
If all the world were springtime
I would replant my grandad's birthdays
So that he would never get old.

If All the World Were... is a beautifully illustrated poem about a girl's relationship with her grandfather, encompassing both her joy as she spends time with him, and her sadness at his eventual passing.

Tracing life through the seasons of one year, the story finds beauty in simplicity, the small joys of simply being together and doing things. Without using a lot of words, it communicates love an
Krizia Anna
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was a nice book about a granddaughter's love for her grandpa. It was sad and definitely a lot of people can relate to. I was once like the girl. I had a grandpa who I loved so much but nothing can bring my grandpa physically back. Although it is sad, it is nice to see the girl's memories of her grandpa. The ending was definitely a surprise. It is worth the read with your son and/or daughter. I do hope I can get a physical copy.

Thanks #NetGalley for the free copy.
Jo
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoughts: Beautiful words and illustrations in regard to the topic of death of a grandparent. Just ..thanks for the punch in the face with all the emotion.

Downloaded through Netgalley for an honest review.
Ella
This is a beautiful book about a young girl and her grandfather as they have fun together doing lots of different things. After he dies the young girl remembers all the happy times they had together. This could be used to support children experiencing the loss of a grandparent on a 1:1 basis or be used as a whole class text. The brightness of the illustrations makes the story positive and happy, seeing the good in the times they had together rather than focusing on the sadness. There are lots of ...more
Ben Hagan
What a poetic and heart-wrenching story! I really enjoyed the layout of the book and it was really impactful how the pictures really show the relationship between the girl and her granddad. The book can be cross-curricular in the sense that the book is told season-by-season. The book also deals, sensitively, the death of her grandparent but also emphasises the celebration of their life.
Ann Sawyer
Sep 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book but it's a sad read. The idea of preserving memories is lovely and the ending is positive but may confuse a young reader - can I bring back a person who has died by drawing them? This is a book to be shared and discussed. ...more
Anna Donajgrodzki
I loved this book from start to end. The story follows a young girl and her grandfather and their time spent together. When the grandfather dies, the book handles loss and grief in a sensitive way and shows the importance of remembering the happy moments when you have lost a loved one.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
2018 Roe Reading ...: If All The World Were…. by Joseph Coelho 2 5 Jul 01, 2020 01:08AM

• Lubna and Pebble