Start by marking “Grandpa's Stories” as Want to Read:
Grandpa's Stories

Grandpa's Stories

One young girl reflects on a year with her beloved grandpa. She remembers the fields and parks they explored in the springtime and the old toys they fixed up in the summer. She remembers the handmade gifts they exchanged in the fall and the stories Grandpa told by the fi re each winter. But this year, the girl must say good-bye to Grandpa. In the face of her grief, she is ...more
Published April 2nd 2019 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Grandpa's Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grandpa's Stories

Start your review of Grandpa's Stories
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
If All The World

I apologise. This review comes from the heart and not the mind. Please bear with me - this book has tugged at my heartstrings and stabbed me straight through.

As of July, my grandmother will have been gone from this world for 3 years. She was such an integral part of my life that I still feel a gaping hole in my chest that never gets smaller.

"If all the world were springtime, I would replant my grandad's birthdays so that he would never get old."

These words cling to my very soul.
PattyMacDotComma
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents, grandparents, aunties, uncles, teachers, everybody!
5++
“If all the world were memories, the past would be rooms I could visit and in each room would be my grandad.”

The author says on the (back) cover “For everyone who misses someone.”
What a wonderful idea and what a wonderful book! A young child shows us what it’s like going through the seasons with Granddad.

Illustration of walking hand in hand with Granddad in the spring and seeing a bird’s nest.

I can’t confirm whether the child is a girl or a boy, and I suspect that’s probably the point. A
[Shai] Bibliophage
If All the World is a children's storybook that narrates the story of a little girl and his memories with his late grandad. Those who can read this would undoubtedly be touched by the compelling memories and wishes of the girl for his grandpa. One of the most poignant lessons that readers can get from the story is that the love by our loved ones may still linger or stay with us, even if they are already gone.
Carol (Bookaria)
This is a children's story about family, love, and loss.

The book is beautifully illustrated and is written in a poetic and engaging prose. Each page has colorful images depicting a little girl's time spent with her grandfather until one day the he is no longer in the picture.

The book does not describe explicitly how the child deals with the loss but we learn how she copes with it by watching the activities she's engages in after he's gone.

While reading this book images of my loving
Hilary
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children who have lost a grandparent
Recommended to Hilary by: Found in the library
A little girl tells of all the things she loves to do with her grandad. One day he dies and they clear his house and the little girl finds a book that she decides to write memories of their time together in. The illustrations were very nice, lovely colours and an interesting style. I don't think you'd want to read this with a child unless they were suffering from the loss of a grandparent. I didn't like how the grandfather tells the little girl who looks about 4 or 5 that she's too old to hold ...more
Emma
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully illustrated book dealing with bereavement of a grandparent and the memories the child had. Coelho remembers himself how drawing, recording , writing stories were all so important to him growing up and the child in the book is encouraged to record her feelings and memories in just such a way. Suitable for children 3 to 9.
Jane
In If All the World, author Joseph Coelho has written an understated story that packs a huge emotional punch. I do not have the words to express how truly lovely this book is, but the illustrations by Allison Colpoys certainly do it justice.

I highly recommend this read for people of all ages as a reminder that even though we're all missing people, our memories of those who are gone help us to keep them alive in our hearts.

Thank you to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group - Frances Lincoln
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Thank you Netgalley and Quarto Publishing Group (Frances Lincoln Childrens) for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The author says on the back cover that this book is dedicated to everyone who misses someone. The story is something that I think everyone can relate to. We've all lost someone and we all miss them. The art was beautiful and really colorful. The story was touching. It teaches us that we all lose people and what's important is for us to keep their
Etienne
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A tribute to all the grand-father and a story about love and grief! The illustration where not particularly my style but it was a good match for this story. A short story that will goes straight to your heart!
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews
*** Note: I received e-ARC of this book via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks to Publishers and NetGalley. ***

Book is about little girl who loved her granddad dearly and carries his memory along with her. I liked the blurb and purpose of writing the book.

Book started with little girl telling the activities she did with her granddad in different seasons and shows her love for granddad by telling how happy she was how much she enjoyed all the time of all season with her
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This book was especially moving to our family having lost my husband and my grandchildren's grandfather less than two years ago. This book depicts a young girl's love for her granddad and how they spend time together, her wishing it would never end. When he dies, she copes with the situation and uses a notebook he made for her to write and draw her memories while dealing with her grief. The book is written by poet and playwright Joe Coelho with wonderful illustrations by Allison Colpoys. This is ...more
Andrea Hunter
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully written and illustrated story celebrating life and exploring grief.
Emma
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful, colourful illustrations accompany this moving story about the loving relationship between grandfather and granddaughter which is suitable and enjoyable for all ages. The bright colours symbolise the happiness felt when the girl is with her granddad. The book is good for teaching about inclusion as the characters are both Indian so with older children discussion of different cultures could be incorporated. When her granddad passes away, the girl is sad, but thinking about and ...more
Bev
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh this utterly gorgeous picture book gave me all the feels, I just wanted to hug it (and it's adorable little girl) to my chest! I had tears in my eyes at the end, definitely one of my favourite picture books that I've read so far this year. Great for children dealing with bereavement yes but also just a beautiful story to share with little ones that you love. The relationship between the girl and her grandfather is so sweetly described and drawn that your heartstrings are tugged from the first ...more
Suz
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book portrays the beautiful relationship between a grandad and his grandchild throughout the seasons and the way they explore the world together. My 6 year old son really enjoyed it although he didn’t pick up on the fact that the grandad passed away until I explained how this was portrayed.
Bookishrealm
Such a heart-breaking picture book. I lost both my great-grandmother and my grandmother in the past year and it was sort of difficult to read this book, but it reminded me that even in their passing I still have all of my memories with them. I think that this is such a powerful picture book and definitely one that can be used to assist children in learning more about death and how to cope with death.
Merri Jordan
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love love love this picture book. A beautiful story about love and loss accompanied by amazing illustrations. This book highlights that even though someone has died it does not mean that the memories have also gone. A book that I would definitely recommend to a child who has lost someone close to them.
KC
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I loved the illustrations but the story was a bit lacking-the message was there though.
Miss Jenny
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excerpt of a review that was originally published on my website: Miss Jenny's Classroom

The core of this story is about death and how it impacts family and individuals. In this instance it focuses on the granddaughter who clearly has a bond with her grandad and feels the loss of his passing greatly. Little things in the story - like how he buys her a secondhand race track and they fix it together and then play - were not only touching but also breaks a bit of a taboo I see of
Death is always hard for a child. Heck death is hard for adults, but it is espcially hard for children because they have nothing to compare it to. Sure, they may have lot a pet, but losing a grand parent is the first big death that most children experience.

This is such a sweet gentle book about all the memories the little girl has of her grandfather, throughout the year, and how much she loved him, and how sad she is that she can not have those walks with him.

She says, after his passing:

If all
Faith
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalleyarc
If All the World Were... is a beautiful picture book focusing on the close relationship a granddaughter has with her grandfather. Through the change of seasons, we witness the special times they shared, as well as wishes the granddaughter has ("If all the world were springtime, I would replant my grandad's birthdays so that he would never get old").

As the year passes, there is a growing sense of nostalgia; we learn grandad's health is failing, and at the close of the book, he has passed away and
Laura (Book Scrounger)
If all the world were springtime
I would replant my grandad's birthdays
So that he would never get old.

If All the World Were... is a beautifully illustrated poem about a girl's relationship with her grandfather, encompassing both her joy as she spends time with him, and her sadness at his eventual passing.

Tracing life through the seasons of one year, the story finds beauty in simplicity, the small joys of simply being together and doing things. Without using a lot of words, it communicates love
Krizia Anna
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice book about a granddaughter's love for her grandpa. It was sad and definitely a lot of people can relate to. I was once like the girl. I had a grandpa who I loved so much but nothing can bring my grandpa physically back. Although it is sad, it is nice to see the girl's memories of her grandpa. The ending was definitely a surprise. It is worth the read with your son and/or daughter. I do hope I can get a physical copy.

Thanks #NetGalley for the free copy.
Jo
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoughts: Beautiful words and illustrations in regard to the topic of death of a grandparent. Just ..thanks for the punch in the face with all the emotion.

Downloaded through Netgalley for an honest review.
Ben Hagan
What a poetic and heart-wrenching story! I really enjoyed the layout of the book and it was really impactful how the pictures really show the relationship between the girl and her granddad. The book can be cross-curricular in the sense that the book is told season-by-season. The book also deals, sensitively, the death of her grandparent but also emphasises the celebration of their life.
Katie Reilley
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A breathtakingly beautiful picture book that allowed my 10 year old and me to have an honest, raw conversation about connections with family members. Wonderful book for loss.
Mathew
This is the second collaboration of Coelho I have read in picturebook form and again he braves dealing with an important issue which many young children will encounter: the loss of a grandparent. Through the heading of the four seasons, Coelho’s poem shares with us a young girl’s celebration of the wonders of the world with her grandfather; hand-in-hand they explore the natural world, create, dream and share their passions and with each gift the young girl tells the reader, quite subtly, what ...more
Trisha - Tale of a Bookworm
If All the World is a book about GRIEF and how to cope with it.

The book is written in 1st person perspective of a little girl, who is really close with her granddad. She loves her granddad and understands he is getting old. Then one day... no more granddad.

She picks up her journal and starts painting and writing down her memories of her granddad, so that she never forgets them and the happy memories of her granddad stays with her forever.

This book is a great way of showing little kids how to
Aimee
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A children’s book of regarding the universal feelings of love of a grandparent, loss of the grandparent, remembering the grandparent, and recovering from loss. It is a beautiful book to read to a child who has recently lost someone they love. Actually, it is really good for adults too. I teared up as I was reading this book as well. This one really touches the soul.

The illustrations are beautiful and you can easily imagine yourself in your own life (holding your grandfather’s hand has you walk)
Karen Nelson
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely book about generational love and ultimately a grandfather''s death. The illustrations are gorgeous and supplement the text of the book, which is a story about a child and her grandfather. It details the course of a year, where much time is spent sharing life and stories, and ultimately his death. The theme of the story is that sharing of of his tales and skills lives on with his grandchild, who has her grandfather in her heart and in every room. This is a family from India, which ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »