Start by marking “When the Devil Drives (Death and the Devil, #1.6)” as Want to Read:
When the Devil Drives (Death and the Devil, #1.6)

When the Devil Drives

(Death and the Devil #1.6)

Work-life balance for a spy may be an oxymoron, but Jack Reardon likes a good challenge. And he’s almost bested this one. He’s settled into his Meta-State promotion as a field leader and into his new team with a second he can trust. Shop in order, he can take a day or two off when Ethan blows into town, their bargain finally starting to paying off.

Assassin Ethan Blade has
ebook
Published August 31st 2018 by L.J. Hayward

To ask other readers questions about When the Devil Drives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Devil Drives

Shile
4.25 Roy stars

It will be 5 stars the day i get the KISS.

-Fast Cars

-Pink Lambo

-Hot Sex

-Caring Ethan, Sick mumbling Jack... We LOVE THEM.

I am still a goner. Blaming it all on Simone.😘😘

Onto the next🏃♀🏃♀🏃♀🏃♀
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
The only thingy going for it is that it's a fairy M/M tale. And it's really short.

Q:
Jack hid a grin in Ethan’s belly. (c) Ahem, considering that the 2 of them are supposed to be an assassin and a military boy, color me alarmed.
Simone
***4.5 adrenaline-filled stars***

tumblr_inline_mjddxymMAH1qz4rgp.gif (320×128)

Two of my weaknesses in one single book. Fast cars and one of my favorite couples. What more could a heart desire?

Yeah well, about them being a couple... It's still more of a relationship thing (Jack's words, not mine). With their arrangement still firmly in place, Ethan finds himself wanting more, wanting some kind of normalcy and a trip to the Gold Coast with Jack while doing some car racing sounds like something to indulge in two of his most favorite thin
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
I have to hand it to L.J. Hayward, she really knows how to keep the intrigue going between these two.

I enjoyed the first part of this novella the most. I wouldn't consider myself a gearhead or anything but I do enjoy cars and an Aston Martin?

YES, PLEASE!!!!!!!

The most painful cinematic moment in my life to date was the car chase scene in Casino Royale.

WHY GOD, WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!! #crushed

Anyhoo, I also think it's cute that Ethan is so besotted with his cars. When he gets animated about t
Shin Mon Thway
Only L.J. Hayward can make reading about driving a super car sounds so dirty and erotic. 😏🔥 Loved it. 💙 But Jack, get your head out of your arse and get a grip man. I’m getting miffed by how fickle you are. 🙄 One minute you swear never to let go Ethan and the next you think it’s for the best if it’s over. Stop being a wuss and chase that assassin’s arse, LITERALLY! 😁 Anyhow, enjoyable, fun and super thrilling. Can’t freaking wait for the next installment! 😍

4.25 Jack and Ethan kissed under the t
Ariana
Reread August 2019

“Neither of them had asked for exclusivity, so it was entirely reasonable Ethan was seeing other people. Jack hadn’t turned down every offer of sex outside of Ethan’s visits, either.”

And that is where the whole problems lies - these two seriously need to TALK!
But I admit seeing both men jealous was pretty delicious!

Best of all though without a doubt is how we see in both men’s actions that they care for each other. Not only during their increasingly tender moments during sex,
Christelle
Yep, still sooooooo good. The enjoyment is not fading, nope, not one bit.

I can’t get enough of these guys and their bumpy road towards their HEA (because they both don’t want to admit it aloud, but it’s their destination, I’m just not afraid to say it aloud !!) and their not so smooth driving (but where would be the fun if it were !?!).
For sure, they are on fever…at least, Jack is 😅…as I virtually am, because, damned, it’s hot !!

See what I've done here, hehehe.....

PS : Thank you so much, Naught
Adam
Me right now:

description

It's official: it's more than just sex for Jack and Ethan. Feelings are involved now. *gasp*

If they'd both get their heads out of their asses, they'd be so happy.

I just want Ethan and Jack to get their happy ever after.

And to kick ass together.

And to kiss. Please.

Book #2 can't come soon enough!
Fabi
I can't get enough of Jack & Ethan. But I'm not sure I like all these little novellas in between books. Novellas are usually too short and unsatisfying for me. I'm enjoying these because they continue the unorthodox romance between our two heroes and we get to know them a little better each time, however, I'm always happier when I'm reading a full length novel.
Chris
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super enjoyable... I’m loving the vibe between Ethan & Jack although the way Ethan disappears at times is seriously frustrating ! Hopefully his story and emotions will unfold
Alex
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav-mc, short, favorite
PERFECT!!
I am a sucker for these novellas... These 2 MCs are just awesome.
We have some jealousy here and the end is not a cliffhanger but damn! I WANT MORE!!!

Wendy

I am so happy I found this series (thanks again Elsbeth) ... Who knew fast cars could be so sexy ;) It just keeps getting better and better.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aston martin gif

Seems like these two are getting closer and closer...so much so that we even get to witness some delicious jealousy https://www.google.com/search?q=emoticons

We also get to see out favorite assassin in "care mode"... when a sick and delirious Jack makes a come back. Things get a bit confusing and "feelings" might be hurt a bit...

The sexytimes were are HOT as ever...and it is clear to see that what
haletostilinski
4.5 stars!

So happy to get more Jack and Ethan and for the most part, this didn't disappoint. The second story was just lacking a little compared to the first short story, because Jack was sick the whole time and we weren't sure until the end that Ethan was even there and that any of it was actually happening. I would have been super disappointed if he hadn't been.

But we did get a little more insight into Jack's character and I did love that Ethan took care of Jack through his illness. Ending wa
Nat ReadingAllNite
Driving me crazy!

Ethan and Jack are still taking 2 steps forward and 1 step back in their relationship. Going with Ethan to race his Victoria brings out jealousy and protectiveness in Jack he barely realizes he’s feeling. As always, nothing goes very smoothly and Jack is forced to chase down a threat at the race track. The two men never do talk about the emotions swirling around them, sinceJack is still in denial and Ethan, I think, is waiting for Jack to speak first.

Then Jack gets sick and Eth
 ⚣ Marco ⚣
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I've enjoyed this compilation of 2 short stories just as much as the previous books, it also felt like Jack and Ethan's relationship is becoming stagnant. Let's hope for some more relationship development in the next book.
Ky
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So, apparently L.J. knows how to keep her fans happy!

This short takes us through two more events in Jack and Ethan's lives and develops their relationship just a bit more. Those two go at a snail's pace but it's so good to see them take cautious steps and becoming more attached to each other even though they spend most of their time apart. I like seeing both their walls crumbling little by little and feelings starting to show.

I don't really care if the next we see of them is a full length or ano
Meep
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: series, extra-coda
Re-read - Still hasn't one me over, left me feeling jaded. Lots of cars but too little actual plot, though you do need to read these in order to follow the series.

There is insight into Jack; for all his dangerous capability he has a fear of being left, part of his psyche is desperate to please people - he doesn't appear able to say an outright no; it's always maybe/later/not at this time. Probably ties in to his issues with being undercover.

-- --
On the whole this coda reads like deleted scenes p
rowenalovelace
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Uhh such expectations. As much as I adore this couple-to-be and have a crush on Ethan, nope. They couldnt even save these short stories? They were too disorganized for me to enjoy? Like no conclusion? No actual development on rather than Jacks vague? feelings emotions?
In a nutshell this novella felt like I never read it at all.

You have to give me what I want in the second book please, dear Hayward.
Christine
This one started off strong. I love me some jealousy in my reads and we got that in the first half.
The second story was wasted with way too much angst and not enough honest straight forward talk. And it didn’t end with Ethan and Jack; that was disappointing.

I’m still in love with my guys though 🤗
fleurette
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
When the Devil Drives

It's truly easier to wait for the second book in this series with those exceptionally good short stories. And here we have two in one and both great. After reading the first one about Jack and Ethan spending time together on the car race, I thought that the second one just can't be better. But then I read this next story and it is sooo cute and somehow bitter-sweet. Now I'm even more eager to read the full instalment to this series!
Elsbeth
*4.5 stars*

Seriously, when these two are going to kiss my head will explode. We're getting closer and closer...
Loved the jealous feelings Jack & Ethan were having for each other!!!

Wish you were here?

The fast cars were awesome, especially the Pink Ferrari Jack drove.. And just like Jack I was so happy seeing Ethan as himself.

description

I truly have a soft spot him. Everytime Jack puts the brakes on the thing between them, I could throttle him for hurting Ethan.

Want.#2.NOW!!!!
Santy
Shout out to Fabi for this!!

I loved this action packed novella. Who knew novellas could get your heart pumping? Certainly not me! L.J. Hayward keeps knocking these short stories out of the park!

Simone sums it up perfectly here!!
Skirmish
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq
Book Reaction: http://neverhollowed.tumblr.com/tagge...
Soundtrack: http://neverhollowed.tumblr.com/tagge...
Rating: 5 Stars - absolutely perfect
Anna
Aug 24, 2018 added it
Oh man. I desperately want more.

I also want to yell at Jack and make tea and sympathetic noises for Ethan.
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lbr, shorty, mm, ebook
Things get even more interesting in this segment where we get to see a different side of Ethan. Things just don't get any easier for these guys. Just when you think they are on track (we might finally get that kiss!), things take another turn. Thankfully, the next story is lined up and ready to go!
Teri
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, lgbtq, mm, series, assassins
this one didn't make me very happy (view spoiler)
Rafa Brewster
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Fantastic read except for the seriously abrupt ending, so... 3 Stars?

I'm not quite sure what to make of this release tbh. While I absolutely adored being back in Jack and Ethan's world - the intense action, burning chemistry, undercurrent of emotion and the many ways in which their time in the dessert still haunts Jack - the way Driving with the Devil ended was extremely abrupt.

Sure, the previous novella (Bargaining with the Devil) was a 3-parter and this one consisted of only two parts (the se
Bibliophile
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Note: I was on a direct flight from Ireland to Seattle today, so I read *a lot* of books on my bookshelf, including this one. I'm desperately in need of sleep, so this review will be short and sweet!

Out of all the books in on my bookshelf, this was the book I was *most* excited to read as I embarked on my flight. I LOVED the previous books--they all made my "best of" lists--so much so, that they basically served as book crack to me.

So I read this book first and while there were parts I liked...
Bev
4.25 stars from me. Really enjoyed part 1 of the story, When the Devil Drives...honestly, boys and their toys 😉. Ethan really loves Victoria, his Aston Martin. Part 2 of the story, At Death's Door was....a little odd as far as I was concerned. I'm still convinced that Jack and Ethan will become a couple...the feelings are there, whether they admit to it or not. 💜💚💙
Nicole
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That was so good!! I want to read more with them! *_*

Also it had fast cars, so that was a very big plus! And I love their slowly evolving relationship but I have questions that I hope are answered soon!! :)

Can't wait to read the next book!!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Trick Roller (Seven of Spades, #2)
  • Barrel Proof (Agents Irish and Whiskey, #3)
  • Lupine Road
  • Enemy Within (The Executive Office #3)
  • New Heights
  • The Mystery of the Moving Image (Snow & Winter, #3)
  • Aleksey's Kingdom (A Royal Affair, #2)
  • Date Night (Zero at the Bone, #1.1)
  • Pisces Floors Taurus (Signs of Love, #4.5)
  • Halloween is Murder
  • At the Lake
  • Without Chance
  • Glitter on the Garland (Glitter on the Garland, #1)
  • Not Fade Away (Hell or High Water, #3.5)
  • The Chimera Affair (The Chimera Affair #1-1.5)
  • Object of Desire  (Bitter Legacy, #2)
  • Heart of the Steal
  • Undaunted
L.J. Hayward has been telling stories for most of her life, a good deal of them of the tall variety. She loves reading but doesn’t seem to have enough time between wanting to be a more disciplined writer, being the actual erratic writer she is, and working for dollars in a dungeon laboratory. She also lives on the Gold Coast in Queensland, but rarely sees a beach and can’t surf, though she thinks ...more

Death and the Devil (2 books)
  • Where Death Meets the Devil (Death and the Devil, #1)
  • Why the Devil Stalks Death (Death and the Devil, #2)