Start by marking “The Rant Zone: An All-Out Blitz Against Soul-Sucking Jobs, Twisted Child Stars, Holistic Loons, and People Who Eat Their Dogs!” as Want to Read:

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  334 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
In this fourth installment of his acclaimed Rants series, bestselling author, Emmy Award-winning talk-show host, and wisecracking analyst for ABC's Monday Night Football Dennis Miller makes hamburger meat out of society's most sacred cows as only he can, with the kinds of allusions that require high SAT scores -- or at least a smart crib sheet.

This time around, Miller take
Published August 20th 2002 by Harper Perennial (first published October 18th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Rant Zone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rant Zone

Kelly
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read this awhile back. Typical, wonderful Dennis :)
Gisela Hausmann
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: funny
Maybe I read "Rant Zone" too late; in 2017, the material feels dated and not in a positive way.

Even though I always liked Dennis Miller and I enjoyed listening to him, I now realized that he is easier to look at and listen too than reading his material black on white. Dennis Miller is a fine actor, I remember his excellent performance in "Murder at 1600." Maybe his acting skills help him to present his material better on screen.

For instance, in his chapter "Don't try this at Home..." Miller writ
Baal Of
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
More bathroom reading from the great book disposal event at work, and it is entirely appropriate that this was a book read while sitting on the toilet, because Dennis Miller is an asshole. Sometimes he is a funny asshole, and this book gets two stars for those funny bits. He can turn a phrase rather well, and does invective with conviction. But sometimes he's just an asshole, and there's a lot of that in here as well. And then, occasionally, he is a self-righteous, ignorant asshole. His anti-NAS ...more
NK
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty damn funny. I just can't help but laugh at like every single page, just too much. I have read several of his books & can't help but like his humor & way of writing. Just plain old good stuff. It's sometimes nice to read stuff that makes you chuckle just so you can not have to think about the other crap going on in the world or even in your life. If you need a break, just remember, laughing in public is an auotmatic while reading this.
LikestheFunny
Jun 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Not funny. Just angry and mean.
L.
Aug 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Dennis Miller is back at it again with his fourth voume of "Rants". He and his team of writers don't miss a beat with there acerbically witty views and criticqes on celebrities, culture, and society. An added twist to this installments of "Rants" was Dennis Miller's new foray into football broadcasting on top of his weekly HBO show. With the additional commentary on football in this book, he can now feel for the growing number of people needing two jobs to get by (particularly those who have the ...more
angrykitty
Feb 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
i totally hated that miller got to do monday night football. now i get that you always try to have someone that thinks they're smarter than everyone else, but do you really want to put someone on that then proceeds to try to prove that they're smarter with every chance they get???? damn dennis miller. i get it. you're smart. i coulda covered football better though.
Trisha
Jul 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
audio for book club.
bleh. It's good to confirm I still don't find him funny. By the 3rd audio cd, I was yelling back at him "Yes, IT IS! IT IS JUST YOU!" when he said "but it might just be me" ACK! I swear if this were 4 cd's, I never would have kept listening. Thank goodness it's at least a short one!
Gary Geiger
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comedy, pop-culture
Conservatives occasionally complain about liberals being a humorless lot, but I haven't heard much funny from Miller since 9/11 changed his weltenschaung. Fortunately, this was written or compiled before that. And I don't care what anyone says, I dug him on Monday Night Football.
Marylu Sanok
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dennis Miller or comedy fans
Recommended to Marylu by: my husband
Shelves: humor
If you are a fan of Dennis Miller, you will enjoy this book. You can hear him while reading along.

A quick read and his very outspoken opinions of a variety of topics
Melissa
Jun 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-a-fan
I love Dennis Miller & was looking forward to reading this. Unfortunately the design embedded on each page made it hard for me to read.
Steven
Apr 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I got this audio book last year from the local book fair. It's not the best work but I enjoyed it.
Stevie
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dennis-miller
dennis is funny as usual.
Lynn
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Thoughtful humor at its best!
Eric McGreevy
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Simply hilarious. By far my favorite comedian.
Paul
Nov 10, 2007 rated it it was ok
clever but tedious
Brian Sammons
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the Dennis Miller I want to remember. You know, when he was still funny.
Dan
Feb 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Very entertaining! I wish he would write something new in the political world.
Robin Dix
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Love, love, love Dennis Miller.
Cupcakencorset
Oct 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Written before Miller became a neo-con, this may be the last gasp of Dennis Miller as I'd like to remember him. A shame, that. But the book was a good read, as I remember.
Yofish
Feb 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-on-tape
Series of "rants." I believe it follows the form (and catch phrases) of his HBO specials. He is generally funny, but maybe too topical so that they becomes dated fast.
Rosie
May 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
loved it
Erik
Jan 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
A very funny collection of Miller's "Now I don't want to get off on a rant here, but..."s. I really like his style of humor!
Timothy
Jun 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Taken from his HBO show and when he was still a liberal.
Wayne
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Pure Dennis Miller!
Meredith
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous, just fabulous. As usual, Dennis says out loud what many of use wonder all the time. Be warned, though, this book is NOT for the vocabulary challenged!!
Mike Baker
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • No Cure for Cancer
  • The Bachelor Home Companion: A Practical Guide to Keeping House Like a Pig
  • I'm Dreaming of a Black Christmas
  • No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
  • Fanfare for the Area Man: The Onion Ad Nauseam Complete News Archives Volume 15
  • Stan and Ollie: The Roots of Comedy: The Double Life of Laurel and Hardy
  • San Sombrèro: A Land of Carnivals, Cocktails and Coups (Jetlag Travel Guide)
  • I'm Not Really Here
  • I'm Back for More Cash: A Tony Kornheiser Collection (Because You Can't Take Two Hundred Newspapers into the Bathroom)
  • Awkwardness
  • Dreaming Metal
  • Why You Crying?: My Long, Hard Look at Life, Love, and Laughter
  • Don't Shoot, It's Only Me: Bob Hope's Comedy History of the United States
  • I Had the Right to Remain Silent...But I Didn't Have the Ability
  • Why You Say It: The Fascinating Stories Behind Over 600 Everyday Words and Phrases
  • 'Tis the Season
  • America's March to Socialism: Why we're one step closer to giant missile parades
  • Naked Beneath My Clothes: Tales of a Revealing Nature
Dennis Miller is an American stand-up comedian, political commentator and sports commentator, and television/radio personality. He rose to fame as a cast member of Saturday Night Live in the late 1980s, and subsequently hosted a string of his own talk shows on HBO, CNBC and in syndication. He currently hosts a daily, three-hour, self-titled talk radio program, nationally syndicated by Westwood One ...more
More about Dennis Miller