Start by marking “Troubled Waters (Hearts of the Children, #2)” as Want to Read:
Troubled Waters (Hearts of the Children, #2)

Troubled Waters (Hearts of the Children #2)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  2,795 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Hardcover book. Author, Dean Hughes. A Novel. Only marks on book are previous owner's name inside front cover. Interesting story, Hearts of the Children). Pages otherwise clean, spine tight and straight.
Published September 1st 2002 by Bookcraft

To ask other readers questions about Troubled Waters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Troubled Waters

Stephanie
Dec 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Nolan
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Troubled Waters is the second book in a five-book series that focuses on four people growing up in the 1960s. Hans, an East German teenager, is imprisoned by his government for assisting a friend in an escape attempt from the country. Diane, basically a good girl who wants a conventional family so she can turn out babies and live in the nice house in the burbs, finds that her stunning good looks are of even greater value to her in college. Cathy, off to study at Smith College, has abandoned her ...more
Hannah
Sep 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Children of the Promise and BK1 of Hearts of the Children
Stan Crowe
Jul 15, 2012 marked it as to-read
I think one of the best things about Dean Hughes' authorial style is that it's clean and transparent. The story pulls you in, but you're not constantly being reminded that you're *in* a story--that, to me, is a mark of a skilled author.

I had to laugh, a little, when I realised that after reading (well, listening to) several of the "Hearts of the Children" series that I had become engrossed in what essentially amounts to and LDS literary soap opera. But Hughes has definitely done his homework, ma
Stan
Aug 17, 2009 rated it really liked it

I had to laugh, a little, when I realised that after reading (well, listening to) "Far From home," and a few of the sequels, that I had become engrossed in what essentially amounts to and LDS literary soap opera. But Hughes has definitely done his homework, making
Tony
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this continued story of the Thomas family. In this book, several of the grandchildren begin to experience life in the late 60's. One finishes his mission, that didn't go quite as he had hoped, two girls enter college and have vastly different experiences. And their cousin in Germany continues to be punished by a post-war East Germany government that frowns on religion.

I enjoy reading these books which helps me understand the perspective the members of the LDS faith likely dealt with d
Stephanie P
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again the author does such a great job of creating characters that feel so real with real faults and doubts. And all the characters come together to show so many different perspectives on this time. I love how he gives such a great feel of what this time was like by showing many different opinions and perspectives and not trying to show one viewpoint as the only correct one. I was really interested in all four of the main characters narrations and was cringing when they were making bad deci ...more
Linda
Sep 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Dave and I listened to the volumes in this series by Hughes during our 4,000 trip this month. A pleasant way to pass the time. For me, this series lacked the gripping intensity I love when I'm hooked on a good book and can't put it down. But, there are many pluses, including the facts that Hughes' writing is clean, geared to an LDS audience, and in our case, covers political and social events we lived through during our childhood, teen, and young adult years. I gained a much deeper insight about ...more
Sunny
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is really badly written. It's worse than the books in the first series, "Children of Promise." The characters don't feel like real people but flat representations of stereotypes from the 60s. I think Hughes realizes this. But I like reading about my own (LDS) culture, so I plowed through. Will probably finish the series eventually just to re-connect with the story about people from a culture I don't get to read about often.
Marie
Apr 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels, church-books
This is the continuing stories of Kathy (the activist), Gene (The all American boy) and Diane ( the prom queen.) I was reading this the weekend that my brother graduated from BYU. I just thought it was funny reading about life in Provo and looking out the window at the city. It's definitely a lot different than Vegas. I enjoyed reading about Gene's time in the mission field and the romances.
Andrea
Oct 05, 2009 rated it liked it
I actually read 3, 4, & 5 before I got my hands on 1 & 2 from this series. I was pretty disappointed with 1 & 2. You could skip them and still get the idea.
1 & 2 are about the teenage life & angst of the Thomas grandchildren. While there are some plot elements in them, I really didn't feel like I missed out on much. The drama was a little much at times.
Regardless, I love this series & the Thomas family.
creativate
Jul 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I realy like the sereis. It's been a while since i read it so this isn't going to be much of a review. But... I really was impressed with how well the authur has covered the time period. This book is based during the Vietnam War. We know it was a very contraversial time and I thought Hughes did well in covering the many different veiw points.
Amber
Aug 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
I really want to love this series because I enjoyed the first set so much (Children of the Promise), but I'm having a hard time getting into them. The characters of Kathy and Diane in particular are getting really old really fast. I don't have a lot of tolerance for idiocy and they both are dripping with it. If they don't grow up soon I wonder if I'll be able to finish the series!
Analee
I don't enjoy this time period very much. I don't know much about it either, but the rational of it all confuses me. No one was united, so much of self satisfaction, violence. I wouldn't normally pick this time in history to read about, but I like Dean Hughes and the Characters in these books, even if they are driving me crazy!! (Diane & Kathy)
Lorena
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoy his writing style and the historical information. Sometimes it gets confusing keeping track of so many characters. I also enjoy seeing the characters and relationships evolve. I read and enjoyed the first series with the Thomas family - Children of the Promise - and sometimes I miss the perspective of the parents and grandparents in this round.
Alicia
Nov 03, 2008 rated it it was ok
This is the next generation after the Children of the Promise series (which i loved). Following the Thomas grandkids in the 1960s. Its kind of fun for the history, but I wasn't nearly as captivated as with the first series (I read the first in this series a long time ago and its taken me a while to continue, if that's any indication).
Debbie
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it
"Troubled Waters" is a pretty good book in a series that kind of pulls you in. It isn't as good as any of the books in the Children of the Promise series and it probably needed a couple more runs through with a good editor before publication, but I still find that I want to find out what happens to at least some of the characters, so I will keep reading in the series.
Amie
Jan 14, 2010 rated it liked it
I don't think this series is as good as the first, but it'll keep me coming back for more. At this point in time, the book is following 4 cousins in all different situations, all around 18-22 years old. I'm appreciating the mini history lesson while at it--I never really knew much about the Vietnam War or the protesters before this book.
Apzmarshl
Feb 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
The characters are evolving.......more likeable, meatier......except for Kathy. She's angry and knows it all. I can't stand it. I hope she grows up more in book 3. I am actually excited to pick up the next book to see what happens with Gene and Diane.
Jennifer Kunz
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Read "The Children of the Promise" first. It talks about a family and their struggle getting through WW11. This book is a following of that family and their struggles with changes in the 60s. With the Cold war, an assassination, women's rights and... hello.... the 60s!
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
Again, listened to the abridged CD .... not fabulous, not bad. Good enough to keep me distracted while unpacking boxes. Would be interested in an unabridged version--but don't have time to read the book.
LaDawn
This series is okay, but not as good as the first series. I can't say I really feel for any of the characters except Hans. All the other kids seem like spoiled rich kids. And I wish that there were more from the parents.
Alexis
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked this book better than the 1st. It has been so interesting to see the history of the 60's through the eyes of these characters. I also love how honest the author is about mormon missionaries and the church in general. I look forward to reading the rest of the books in this series.
Angie
Kathy is unbearable most of this book, Hans' life stresses me out, and Diane is shallow, despite her heart of gold. I wouldn't have minded if this whole book were about Gene. This book deserves more than two stars, but Kathy is just that obnoxious.
Chandler
Jan 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Same opinion as the first, except some of these character gets are just really hard to like! Kathy is as judgmental as they come and Diane I just want to shake! Hoping these characters will evolve somehow into people I can like.
Melissa
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was even better than the first! I love learning about history through stories, I love these characters, and I love learning about yourself as you read books like this that cause some self-reflection.
Kristelle
Jul 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
Hughes did a great job of allowing the teenagers to grow and change. I also found it interesting that in some way all four had similar questions but got there is very different ways. I am even more curious about where their lives will go now.
Missy
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
This one was better than the first one in the series. I like how the author really delves into how the charactors would actually be in that period of time.
Rebecca
Dec 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
The character of Kathy is really annoying, I hope he has her grow up sooner, rather than later, in the next book.
Jessica
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read in high school and liked it then
  • Faith of Our Fathers: Through the Perilous Fight (Volume Three)
  • So Great a Cause (The Work and the Glory #8)
  • Power of Deliverance (The Promised Land, #2)
  • Prelude to Glory, Vol. 3: To Decide Our Destiny
  • 'Til the Boys Come Home: A World War I Novel
Dean Hughes is the author of more than eighty books for young readers, including the popular sports series Angel Park All-Stars, the Scrappers series, the Nutty series, the widely acclaimed companion novels Family Pose and Team Picture, and Search and Destroy. Soldier Boys was selected for the 2001 New York Public Library Books for the Teen Age list. Dean Hughes and his wife, Kathleen, have three ...more
More about Dean Hughes

Hearts of the Children (5 books)
  • The Writing on the Wall (Hearts of the Children, #1)
  • How Many Roads (Hearts of the Children, #3)
  • Take Me Home (Hearts of the Children, #4)
  • So Much of Life Ahead (Hearts of the Children, #5)

Fiction Deals

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • The Man He Never Was: A Modern Reimagining of Jekyll and Hyde
  • I Hate Everyone But You
  • A Burnt-Out Case
  • With Shuddering Fall
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • 223 Orchard Street
  • No One Is Coming to Save Us
  • Brief Encounters with Che Guevara: Stories
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Small Great Things
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Archer's Tale (The Grail Quest, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Glittering Images (Starbridge, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99