Start by marking “First Time Sewing with a Serger: The Absolute Beginner’s Guide--Learn By Doing * Step-by-Step Basics + 9 Projects” as Want to Read:

(First Time)

In First Time Sewing with a Serger, sewing experts Becky Hanson and Beth Baumgartel take you by the hand and teach you everything you need to know to sew with a serger, or overlock machine—a versatile and speedy stitching tool.

Start by learning how a serger works, the many styles available, and the roles of various parts and accessories. Get a detailed overview of the va
Published March 26th 2019 by Quarry Books

To ask other readers questions about First Time Sewing with a Serger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Time Sewing with a Serger

Start your review of First Time Sewing with a Serger: The Absolute Beginner’s Guide--Learn By Doing * Step-by-Step Basics + 9 Projects
MischaS_
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: english, arc, crafts
***Advance Review Copy generously provided through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Now, hopefully, my mum will let me use her serger. Though it got me confused for a moment because I always knew this thing as an overlock, so I had to google to find out that serger is an overlock.

This introduction to serger was very well done and very clear to absolute beginners. Cause I think it's even generous calling myself a beginner. 😂

Melissa Dee
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is aimed at the new user of a serger, literally taking the machine out of the box, to some reasonably complicated projects such as making home decor items like pillows, runners and curtains. I am more interested in using a serger for garment construction, and their was certainly some information in the book for that target audience as well. This is not the book for you if you are already comfortable with what your serger can do, its various accessories, and its stitches.

I voluntarily r
Dee/ bookworm
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, wonderful book!! As someone afraid to use a serger this book is priceless! It goes step by step through the serger, what each thread does, what each knob does, how to use it, etc. Give this book to any sewer, new or experienced!!

I received an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review.
Janet

Start by learning how a serger works
Justin
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book, for free, in exchange for an honest review.

This is a thorough, well illustrated review of serger sewing. It covers the difference between a serger and a standard sewing machine, serger uses, and how to use a serger.
Julia
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Although I have used a serger before, this book opened my eyes on a few topics: threading the serger, different stitches with different amounts of threads, not to mention fixes to problems when using a serger.
Annie
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

First Time Sewing with a Serger is an instruction and tutorial guide aimed at sewists with little to no experience with sergers / overlock machines. More often today, people learn to sew in a relative vacuum, as adults, without a teacher sitting beside us. This can render what should be a fun and relaxing learning curve into a nearly insurmountable frustration. This book aims to help the beginner with a manageable learning curve, cutting out th
Linda
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I received a review copy of this book via Netgalley.

Solid introduction to sewing with a serger (overlock) machine. It goes over the types of stitches available and why you might want them for various purposes. It aims to help you understand what the machine is doing so that you know what to expect. The technique discussion is very detailed, and so are the instructions for the nine projects. Note that two of the nine projects require machines with cover stitch or chain stitch capabili
Tracy Wood
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
For some a serger is a scary machine; I would describe myself as one of them! Things like knowing it can do 1,300 stitches per minute or has a blade along side the needles designed to cut the fabric as you sew definitely adds to the risk factor! Thankfully Becky Hanson and Beth Baumgartel have come to the rescue.

This is a great book, it takes you almost from opening the box and plugging in the machine for the first time through learning all about its functions to making projects such as throws,
Hristina
Let me start off by saying that I don't own a serger, and I haven't seen one in person either. The reason I requested this book is because I'm doing book research and I needed to know the basics of using a serger to better explain a few scenes.
This book was great. It started from the basics, included a diagram on how a serger works, a guide on all the parts of the machine, and even help with threading. There was a section to help you troubleshoot whether or not your tension is correct for the fa
Jeanette
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I do own a sewing machine which i have recently purchased, but it is not a Serger. For those who do own a Serger, it is a very interesting and useful book to have. There is so much packed into this book, which includes how the Serger works, the various decorative stitches, threads, sewing curves and corners and so much more. Makes me want to go and purchase a Serger! Recommended.

My thanks to Netgalley and the Publishers for my copy. This is my honest review, which i have freely given.
Ivory Castle
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
As an experienced sewing machine and overlocker owner I really didn't expect to gain any extra knowledge from reading this book. It was a surprise to discover it included information useful for the more advanced and a few items I wasn't aware of..
It is easy to follow with clear instructions and tips. I don't see it being out of place in any sewers library.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for a free digital copy in return for an honest review.
Leanetta Scott
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Looking at this book really makes you want to go buy a sewing machine and start sewing. My two Aunts used to be a seamstresses and made me lots of nice things while growing up. It always peaked my curiosity and made me want to try it too. So I picked this book by chance and it has lots nice ideas to help fuel your love of sewing whether a beginner or intermediate there is something for you make.
Sharley
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this to be a great beginners guide to a server or overlocker whichever your prefer to call it. The book was to the point and clear. It was informative and did not patronise. Full of great tips and a great resource to give you the confidence to se a server!
Gaby F.
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I recently bought a used serger without a user manual and without any idea how to use it. This book is geared to beginners and, with its illustrations, has been a tremendous help in figuring out how to use my serger.
Amberwench
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent 'care and feeding of your new serger' handbook. Learn the part names and how they interact with each other. Has projects that use a variety of functions to help the reader learn the different decorative and functional stitches possible with a serger.
~Vixhen~
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've owned a serger for years, but still consider myself an intermediate because I don't really use it that often. However, this book is great for the novice or someone who just needs a bit of a refresher. The pictures are clear and the information is solid. It's a great guide to have for any sewer. I'm actually going to buy this when it comes out in paperback.

*I received this ARC from the Publisher and NetGalley for an honest review."
Myndi
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Original review can be found on my blog: Mad Book Love

What attracted you to this book? I'm a crafty person and I love sewing. I've owned a serger for two YEARS and haven't even taken it out of the box because it's the one sewing tool no one in my family has used. It intimidates me. Enough said!

Was it what you expected it to be? Wow. Everything I never knew I needed to know about using a serger. Enlightening and motivating, and also a little intimidating because I didn't realize how much a serger
Kimberly
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a really good manual for some who may be starting to use a serger. There are clear directions as well as other tips. A great resource.
Helen  Robertson
Apr 29, 2020
Leyla Johnson
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My husband gave me a serger machine for Christmas, I have always wanted one, but when I went to use it, I found the booklet of instructions not so easy to follow. This book is very simplistic, but at the same time, for a beginner, a heaven sent. Lots of pictures, good information of why and how to get you started. All this is followed by simple projects to get you started and sewing with a degree of confidence.
Sewing with a serger is not the same as sewing with a sewing machine, and one needs t
Angela M.
Apr 25, 2020
Nancy J. Smith
Aug 11, 2019
Naomi
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic and I would highly recommend it for anyone interested in sewing (whether you have a serger or not). What fascinated me was how the book began by explaining the difference between a standard sewing machine and a serger, how they sew differently, how their purposes are different and how their stitches are formed differently. This really helped me, as a reader, to be clearer about what a serger is and exactly why its role is important as a separate machine. The book then guid ...more
Janet Adcock
Apr 12, 2020
Michelle Noble
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The very first thing that I learned was that I don't own a serger sewing machine. It tells you the difference between a regular sewing machine and a serger sewing machine. If you want to sew faster, look more professional, and have it allow for seam allowance, then a serger is the way to go. It describes all of the parts and how they work in detail. It has step-by-step instructions on how to thread it along with pictures. It has detailed pictures throughout the whole book. At the end of the book ...more
Pammy
Jul 13, 2020
Lou
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great handbook to have if you own a serger or are considering one. Good instructions Nice illustrations. You will like this book.
jlf
Jul 24, 2020
Christy Sassmen
Apr 04, 2020

• My Life in Lists: An Illustrated Journal to Record Your Loves, Goals + Dreams!
  • The Body Keeper (Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries #3)
  • Time After Time
  • The Nani Iro Sewing Studio
  • Fear No Evil (No Evil Trilogy, #3)
  • See No Evil (No Evil Trilogy, #2)
  • Serger Sewing Basics
  • Anywhere, Anytime Art: Illustration: An artist's guide to illustration on the go!
  • The Honest Enneagram: Know Your Type, Own Your Challenges, Embrace Your Growth
  • Minding Miss Manners: In an Era of Fake Etiquette
  • Spells for the Dead (Soulwood #5)
  • Master the Coverstitch Machine: The complete coverstitch sewing guide
  • When the World Feels Like a Scary Place: Essential Conversations for Anxious Parents and Worried Kids
  • Straight Up: Honest, Unfiltered, As-Real-As-I-Can-Put-It Advice for Life’s Biggest Challenges
  • The Country Inn Mystery (Jenny Starling, #7)
  • Frozen
  • The Night Janitor
  • The Keto For One Cookbook: 100 Delicious Make-Ahead, Make-Fast Meals for One (or Two) That Make Low-Carb Simple and Easy

First Time (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • First Time Garment Fitting: The Absolute Beginner's Guide - Learn by Doing * Step-by-Step Basics + 8 Projects
  • First Time Cake Decorating: The Absolute Beginner's Guide - Learn by Doing * Step-by-Step Basics + Projects
  • Learn to Crochet Kit: Creative Craft Kit, Includes Hook and Yarn for Practice and for Making Your First Scarf
  • Learn to Knit Kit: Includes Needles and Yarn for Practice and for Making Your First Scarf-featuring a 32-page book with instructions and a project
  • Performance
  • Sleepover (First Time)
  • School Trip
  • Baby Sitter (First Time)
  • Dentist