Start by marking “Everything Is Just Fine” as Want to Read:
Everything Is Just Fine

Everything Is Just Fine

In this brilliant, laugh-out-loud satire, image-conscious parents on a Beverly Hills junior soccer team struggle to keep up appearances as their private lives careen out of control.

"You'll wince, laugh out loud, relate to, and relish this unsparing satirical send up."---Wednesday Martin, New York Times bestselling author
Coach Randy is working mightily to keep it togeth
Published April 9th 2019 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Everything Is Just Fine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything Is Just Fine

ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
Can we please take a moment for some cover love!? ♥♥♥

This is truly a book for anyone who has or has ever had a child in minor league sports, mine played baseball and hockey. Whatever your perspective, you will laugh out loud at the familiar situations and characters. Brett Paesel has written a thoroughly enjoyable and wickedly funny book, which is difficult to put down. Whether you are in a good mood and want to tickle your funny bone, or you’re despondent and want to be cheered up, Everything I
Jypsy
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm probably in the minority, but I didn't like reading a book in email format. Otherwise, Everything Is Just Fine is a good story. True to life based on the people I know! It's funny and witty. If you have kids and sports, this one is for you. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Kayo
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a definite favorite! Loved it, easy reading and plain good writing.
After reading the book,I checked out author. No wonder book was so fantastic. Author has many awesome credits.
Read this funny,but REAL book.
Thanks to author,publisher and Netgalley for the chance to read this book. While I got the book for free,it had no bearing on the rating I gave it.
Sue Fernandez
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was the book I needed, but didn't know I did. I loved the plot, the manner in which we got to know the characters (through emails, then varied narrators), the humor and the underlying sarcasm. Some will say these situations aren't real. I'm here, living in Southern California, to tell you they are, and it's ridiculous. But, these characters were masterfully done. There are many, and at times I struggle with authors that don't differentiate them enough, and I have problems keeping track ...more
Abigail
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it
With her latest work, "Everything is Just Fine," Paesel delivers an engrossing satire about the frenetically hidden vulnerabilities of a group of Beverly Hills soccer parents and coaches. These vulnerabilities are revealed via a chain of team emails, private texts and IMs, and varied narrators.
This format is a clever way to allow the reader to differentiate between the novel's many characters early on, thanks to the personal writing quirks of each individual and what these quirks imply. There ar
Kelly Rice
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-2019, fiction
Everything is Just Fine is full of things I love - broken people and ordinary problems that spiral into terrible secrets. The story revolves around a group of parents involved in a children's soccer team. There are some standby stereotypes - overzealous mom, philandering husband, semi-alcoholic divorcee. The characters are well developed, however, and come across as genuine - sometimes cringingly so.

Set in Beverly Hills, this is a fun read where you don't feel compelled to root for anyone. The s
Henriette
Feb 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle
I got a free copy from NetGallery and would like to say I enjoyed it, but I did not. The story may have been good, but I wouldn't know as the format and more so the characters were just a total turn off for me. I have been a youth coach myself and had some annoying contact with parents, but in this book through the emails at the start of the book all I could see were not just parents of young kids but also the youth coach communicating with each other via email in a really irritating manner. The ...more
Steffy
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
"Sometimes when we lose, it's hard to remember that a lot of great things are still happening."

The plot didn't intrigued me that much but when I started reading, oh boy, I couldn't stop. I'm not a parent nor do I like sports but the narrative was so good! I loved that the story was told from different viewpoints and e-mail conversations. The characters were well drawn in their language. Some were truly annoying but so real. Following their lives was really entertaining. Balancing secrets to main
Julie Fogarty Oldbury
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was an easy read that conveyed much of the story through email exchanges. (I noticed a lot of grammatical errors, but I soon realized they were intentional as they were representative of the characters who were writing the e-mails.) The characters were well-developed, and I liked that I could really get inside their heads.

I found this book had a great balance of being entertaining and emotional. Overall the book is very well-written, and not that this has much rel
Courtney Robert
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I received this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

I was surprised at how much I loved this book. While satirical, at its core it’s a book about the intricacies and the delicate processes of our relationships and how we react to what life throws at us. Paesel does an excellent job at creating heavy situations for the chacacters but balances them out with humour and a light-heartedness that is surprisingly relatable. I both know these characters in my everyday life and can relate to their inner thought
Kathleen Gray
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Emails, private messages, and texts skewer a group of parents in Southern California. Coach Randy has to manage the high maintenance parents more than the kids- and omgoodness are some of these people pains! Some of this feels over the top and a little crazy but sadly, it's also representative of how parents can get over kid sports. While this is set in Beverly Hills, if you pare away some of it, it could be set anywhere. It's smart, funny and a fast read. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. How mu ...more
Dorie
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Solid story, I enjoyed it thoroughly. Lots of laugh out loud moments.

The story follows the lives of soccer parents (and their kids) who live in Beverly Hills over the course of one soccer season. The plot is so far removed from my own lifestyle I actually have no idea if the actions and emails are accurate but I still loved it.
Ilyssa Wesche
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
The first half of this book was awesome. I love the texts/emails interspersed throughout. All the characters were equally sad/empathetic/loathsome. The kids too. Watching everyone's dramas play out was fascinating.

But then we got dragged into the endless misery of Coach Randy, that went on and on. And then the bit at the end with Patrick was like, wut. I didn't get it.
Fluff Smut & Murder
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I loved this book when it started - and if it would have been comprised entirely of emails/texts/chats it would have gotten 5 stars because I've been the coach's wife, the psycho parent, the team mom, all of them. I started to lose clarity and appreciation for the book once Patrick started flying and Randy went off the deep end but it definitely was still an enjoyable quick read
Paula Pugh
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Everything is Just Fine is a whirlwind cyclone of crazy events, situations and mess ups that happen to the parents of a Beverly Hills youth soccer team. As you move through the pages, things get messier and wilder than imaginable. People struggling with their true failures. Messy remains of divorces. Cheating spouses. All the while, they root for and encourage the kids on the soccer team.
Donna Wetzel
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Thanks Goodreads for my copy of Everything is Just Fine by Brett Paesel. I enjoyed reading this book because it was an original storyline. It also was funny in a sarcastic way as anyone who has been a parent with children in sports will relate to. How this writer thinks of the situations our main protagonist finds himself in and his thought processes is a marvel to me.Kudos.
Naomi
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked the emails and stuff but the narratives got old
Katie
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
*won in a Goodreads giveaway*

On the surface, a novel about a soccer league in Beverly Hills may not seem like much of a compelling read but the author's style and humor made this a super fun and enjoyable read. I even found myself relating to some of the characters and was fully invested in how everything would shake out. As the book itself reminds us, not everything is as it seems.
Heather
Mar 24, 2019
Alana Wilson
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
This book is a very real and modern take on what being a grown up is like these days. Through emails, soccer practice side talk, and the children, we learn about the ups and downs of the parents of this soccer team based in Beverly Hills. The context, which I am hoping isn’t relevant for my kids’ baseball teams, reveals the emotions of infidelity, naivety, divorce, job loss, and lots of secrets.
Anne Snodgrass
Ashley V
Apr 06, 2019
Cheryl
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you NetGalley and Brett Paesal for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.

I loved LOVE LOVED the cover of this book which is why I requested it.

If Class Mom was the book for class moms, then this is the book for SPORTS parents. Honestly, its easy reading, laugh out loud funny and just great writing.
Great read!!
Karen Hill
Feb 01, 2019
Lizbeth
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced digital copy of this book from Netgalley.com, the author and Grand Central Publishing. Thanks to all for the opportunity to read and review.

Everything is just fine, unless you're a member of the Beverly Hill Junior Soccer league. The perfect tale for the age of the Soccer Parent, and a parable of current social norms. Parents are irresponsible and children are caught in the middle. Funny at times and heart wrenching the next, this book will make you look at the folks on th
Tonya
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
*Thank you to Netgalley for providing an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.*

While I felt like the writing was jumbled and a bit chaotic and there seemed to be too much going on in the story, the character development, especially with Diane, was top notch. I liked the way the emails helped show all the sides of her personality. The people were real people with real problems that didn't miraculously get better at the end of the novel. All in all, a good story.

3 stars.