Start by marking “Roar” as Want to Read:
Roar

Roar

From the bestselling author of P.S., I Love You, a fiercely feminist story collection that illuminates--sometimes in fantastical ways--how women of all kinds navigate the world today.

In this singular and imaginative story collection, Cecelia Ahern explores the endless ways in which women blaze through adversity with wit, resourcefulness, and compassion. Ahern takes the fam
Published April 16th 2019 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Roar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roar

Amalia Gavea
‘’I’m here, I’m here, I’m here, I’m here.’’

30 stories of 30 women. 30 captivating titles that lead us to the sphere of Magical Realism and allegories. 30 stories that aim to give voice to characters who struggle with issues that make our lives a little more difficult and demanding, especially if we are women in a frenetic era. A collection by Cecelia Ahern that I would characterize as underwhelming, repetitive, superficial, pretentious.

A woman whose chromosomes are failing her, causing her to
Paromjit
Cecelia Ahern has taken a different direction in her writing with this feminist collection of short stories that celebrate women in all their glorious diversity with every story title beginning with The Woman Who. The book begins with the following epigraph:

I am woman, hear me roar, in numbers too big to ignore (Helen Reddy and Ray Burton)

Set amidst our contemporary movement of #MeToo, we have an exploration of what it is to be a woman in today's world, whether it is being married, being a refug
Rebecca Carter
ROAR is the latest book from Cecelia Ahern and is compiled of short stories that focus on women; some are funny, some thought provoking or enlightening but they are all engaging. The release of this book is perfect in its timing of following the #me too and times up movements, in its premise being about the empowering of women - but not in a preachy way. I'm sure there's at least one story in the book that every woman can relate to.

This book is perfect for people with busy lifestyles, in approx
♥ Kayleigh Kehoe ⚜ (Awkword Reviews)✍
Oh no.

I'm probably supposed to rate this a 5 star to show comradeship or sisterhood due to being a woman but I won't. These short stories did not make me feel inspired as a woman, or motivated, or rallied. To be honest, I cringed heavily at most of them. And a lot of the situations that are told in the stories aren't exactly exclusive to women, which made it difficult to un-generalise my already society conformed feelings, for example, 'The Woman Who Was Swallowed Up By The Floor And Who Met Lo
Nadia
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roar is a collection of thirty imaginative short stories about women. Each story centres around an anonymous woman at a different stage of her life copying with an every day issue or facing a challenge. I found some stories very relatable while others felt too bizarre. I think that every female reader will find one or two stories she will identify with, or at least recognise someone she knows who is similar to the woman in the story. The stories are a deliberately absurd exaggeration of
Julie Parks
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I absolutely LOVED this.

Reading this book the sun started shining again.

Short stories with actual stories. All these female characters are so vivid and un-boring which isn't usually the case with short stories. Nowadays most are simply about something BIG or TRUE but can be otherwise quite on the boring side, until the very end at least when you realize there's some grand metaphor in there and the world makes sense again.

Cecelia Ahern's writing is so poignant and yet lyrical enough to keep smili
Lisa Wolf
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Roar is a collection of fantastical stories, rooted in the real world, in which the unnamed women at the heart of the different tales experience life through a series of metaphors that have somehow become reality.

The titles of these 30 stories all begin with the words The Woman Who. Each focuses on a woman experiencing some sort of literal manifestation of the types of issues we all encounter more figuratively in our worlds.

The collection opens strong with The Woman Who Slowly Disappeared. The p
Gayatri Saikia
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review : Thirty awe-inspiring stories that every person needs to read to understand woman, not as a gender but woman as a HUMAN BEING. Cecelia Ahern never fails to impress with her storytelling and this is what you can expect from her newly released collection of short stories.

"Women" are termed as the WEAKER SECTION of the society by the opposite gender but what is more disheartening is that even women themselves often fall prey to this predetermined notion of them. They are often devalued by m
Aritri Chatterjee
You know when a book changes your opinion about a writer? Well I think it was this book for me.

Cecilia Ahern was one of the feel good writers for me, whose books I read and felt light and happy. However, reading Roar was a revelation to me and something I definitely did not expect.

Ahern tells the story of thirty women in thirty tales and these thirty women could be any of us. She talks of the woman who starts growing invisible simply because people stop acknowledging her or the woman who was put
Rachel Gilbey
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i really had no idea what to expect from this book. I don't read short story collections often, and it had been a while since I last read a book by the author.

Yet from the first story - The Woman Who Slowly Disappeared, I could tell that this is a rather special collection.

Each story highlights an aspect of life that illuminates a specific quality about a person, often to the extreme. The main women in each story tends to nameless, she is the key person but at the same time she could be someon
Charlotte Jones
*Disclaimer: this book was sent to me for free by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

I have only previously read a couple of Cecelia Ahern's novels and am not sure if I have experienced her short story writing before. This collection tells the stories of thirty female characters from different walks of life and has a touch of magical realism which is used to highlight issues faced by women in the twenty-first century.

This is by far one of the best short story col
Genevieve Trono
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really had a hard time with this book. I get where she was going but it was just so over the top that it was hard to take seriously. I loved her idea of doing short stories about everyday challenges modern day women face. Unfortunately, the transformations were so whimsical that it was hard to really look at the issue she was trying to represent which were strong enough on their own.

I love Ahern's writing but this just didn't work for me. I appreciate what she was trying to do here but this j
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
I am woman. Hear me roar.

Have you ever imagined a different life?
Have you ever stood at a crossroads, undecided?
Have you ever had a moment when you wanted to roar?

Cecelia Ahern has written an incredibly original piece of work with her latest book, ROAR. Due for release with Harper Collins on 25th October, ROAR is described as ‘witty, tender, surprising…keenly observed tales that speak to us all, and capture the moment when we all want to roar.’

I have approached my review slightly differently t
✨Skye✨
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free ebook version of this through Netgalley. Thankyou to both Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to read this. My review is still honest!

How can I describe a book like Roar? A collection of 30 stories all centred around women, it was a truly eye-opening experience.
This is about women of all sorts, told through a magical realism lens. To give a little snapshot: women in toxic relationships, women with body issues, women raising families, women being mistreated, women who wan
MRIDULA
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A refreshing take on Feminism in a language that everyone understands and speaks.

30 women with 30 unique stories about the burdens and pain each have to endure in a world that has always been unfair to the female sex. Women have always been told what to do, feel and behave since town immemorial. Women have also been programmed to believe that compassion, guilt, remorse etc. is what they have to feel at a greater magnitude when compared to their male counterparts. Women have been an object of sho
Anupama C K(b0rn_2_read)
They felt so relatable. My favorite one was The woman who found bite marks on her skin, coz I've been that woman. Some stories were funny and I enjoyed all of them.
My one thousand lives
Roar by Cecelia Ahern is a collection of 30 short storys about the different challenges women face from sexism and feeling lost to embarrassment and wanting to be heard. I was expecting this book to be 30 real life stories about specific women but it's not. It's 30 methophoric storys that are told in a really clever, inclusive and witty ways
I related to a lot of the stories like 'the woman who was swallowed up by the floor and who meet lots of other women down there too' and 'the woman who smil
michelle
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read several of Cecelia Ahearn’s books so, I was intrigued to get a copy of Roar as I have not experienced her writing short stories.
Roar is a collection of 30 short stories, all about women in different situations. They are in the usual style what we all love by Cecelia Ahearn but, they more thought provoking than the norm that I have read from this author.
I really enjoyed most of these stories from Cecelia Ahern. Each made me stop and think about each story and the experiences of each
Clair Sharpe
Roar is a collection of 30 feminist stories, about 30 unnamed women which are touching, sad, humorous and uplifting. All written by Cecelia Ahern, the women in these short stories are oppressed, neglected and underrated but ultimately come out on top.
We have "The Woman Who Was Kept on the Shelf" about a woman who is so idealised by her husband that he literally keeps her on a shelf; "The Woman Who Was Swallowed Up by the Floor..." who escapes down a hole while doing a work presentation and find
Philippa
An enjoyable and imaginative collection of short stories, which read more like modern fairy tales as there is a big dollop of magic realism mixed in, about many of the predicaments faced by contemporary women. Some stories were spectacular, others felt a little repetitive in terms of theme and symbolism. But when Ahern hits the mark, she hits the mark. A mixed bag, but a bag that contains some gems.
Adrianna
I’m going to give this book 3 stars, because I enjoyed it, it was lighthearted.

But lately I’ve been looking for something deep, and this was unfortunately not it, so, as sadly as it is for me to admit it - I was disappointed 😔

There was so much potential!

Some stories really managed to get to me, until they were abruptly concluded and eventually ended up leaving me unsatisfied.

It’s a real shame, this could be a VERY good book if the writer gave more time and expand on some stories and just remo
Anne
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roar is a collection of thirty short stories from this incredibly talented author. I had no idea what to expect when I started to read these, and have been totally blown away by the originality of this writing.

Each of the stories feature 'a woman'; no names, just 'the woman', and this is such an enlightening thing to do. Whilst each of the women in each of the stories are unique, they all have that common bond; they are female and they are all dealing with issues that are unique to women, whoeve
Lolly K Dandeneau
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
via my blog: https://bookstalkerblog.wordpress.com/
'Even when practically invisible, she was still fighting to be seen.'

There is a story a woman of any age can relate to in this collection, whether you feel like your age or situation is making you fade to nothing, or you’re struggling with time slipping through your fingers, your most precious moments are running away from you and all you want is to eat them up and live in them. A woman returns her husband, she just has no use for him anymore, ‘
Sam
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve got mixed feelings about this.

A majority of these short stories have such a great premise to them, so much potential, that I think a few of them could’ve been written differently. And when I say that, I mean with a bit more substance. These short stories start off interesting, then are rushed near the end, giving a very “cheesy” lesson to be learned by the reader. It’s kind of disappointing!

There are 30 short stories in this collection, and honestly, I found it to be way too much. It could’
Becca (Horners_book_corner)
Thank you to HarperCollins UK and NetGalley for providing me with an E-copy of this book by Cecelia Ahern.

Ahern has carefully written and curated a beautiful set of thirty short stories revolving around and having very important messages for women. Some of the stories are a little fantastical but are made all the more fun and frothy and imaginative for it. I dipped in and out of this book reading a story whenever I had the time or inclination, sometimes on a break from other books or work, some
A.M.
Mar 01, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A great idea let down by its execution. I read the first three stories and found them to be thinly veiled, obvious literal interpretations of gender roles/societal expectations. Rather than feeling empowered, I just cringed at the condescending tone.
Jo Barton
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roar is an interesting grouping of thirty short stories which, collectively, look at the myriad of sensitive issues which beset women every day. From The Woman Who Slowly Disappeared, which is such a clever opener to the book, to the utter strength of The Woman Who Roared, which concludes the collection, there is, quite literally, something for everyone. Any woman who has ever been made to feel as though she doesn't matter, or who finds herself being overlooked in matters of life, love and busin ...more
Karen Swanscott
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Empowering and relatable but also somewhat frustrating in places. Cecelia Ahern’s newest work is a powerful collection of 30 short stories. All centre around a different but unknown woman, you are given no name. Here lies the magic in the narrative, these stories are about women in different points and aspects of our lives. Women’s who could be any of us, these stories resonate a truth in us. You understand the frustrations and revelations of the characters because you have lived them or recogni ...more
Fully.Booked
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 (4 rounded up!) This was such a charming and unique read! Roar is a collection of 30 short stories focused on women💃🏼 The stories are totally fiction and have an imaginative narrative! I appreciate what Ahern did here - there are hidden messages on empowerment and I felt as though she adressed a wide range of topics, so there’s something for everyone!👏🏼

Some stories stuck with me more than others - my personal favourite was The Woman Who Was Swallowed Up By The Floor and Who Met Lots of Wom
Diane Dunn
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Netgalley the author and publishers for a copy of this book. I don’t normally read short stories, not enough to get my teeth into, however this book was so enjoyable, the lives of women told in imaginative ways. I found myself smiling as I read it and would definitely recommend to others.
  • Difficult People
  • Jimmy Jazz
  • Me. You. A Diary
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 31: The Rotten Core
  • Ilkas arv (Ilka, #2)
  • The Perfect Alibi (Robin Lockwood #2)
  • A Bend in the Stars
  • The High Places: Stories
  • Day of the Accident
  • The Darkness Of Wallis Simpson
  • How to Heal Yourself from Anxiety When No One Else Can
  • The Grace Year
  • Song for a Whale
  • Days of Awe: Stories
Cecelia Ahern was born and grew up in Dublin. She is now published in nearly fifty countries, and has sold over twenty-five million copies of her novels worldwide. Two of her books have been adapted as films and she has created several TV series.