Start by marking “Emily Eternal” as Want to Read:
Emily Eternal

Emily Eternal

Meet Emily, "the best AI character since HAL 9000" (Blake Crouch). She can solve advanced mathematical problems, unlock the mind's deepest secrets, but unfortunately, even she can't restart the sun.

Emily is an artificial consciousness, designed in a lab to help humans process trauma, which is particularly helpful when the sun begins to die 5 billion years before scientist
Published April 23rd 2019 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Emily Eternal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emily Eternal

Start your review of Emily Eternal
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Grand Central Publishing for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

Here is my interview with Mark!
Me: What inspired you to start writing?

Mark: My mother was an English teacher and taught me to read before I went to kindergarten. Because of this...[Read More]
***************

Thank you, Mark for sending me a signed copy and a kind note!!!
***************
Thank you for being a participant in the iLab’s Artificial Conscious Therapeutic Protocol. Be Well.

You know a
Blake Crouch
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Visionary. The best AI character since HAL 9000.
jess  (bibliophilicjester)
I'm not sure what the hell I read. I guess I'll do a summary of the mehness, then some spoilerish ranting. Yes? Okay.

BASICALLY I didn't like this because there was too much romance, shitty pacing, unbelievable dialogue, and being stuck inside Emily's head was torture. Emily wasn't even believable as an artificial consciousness, and if showing her growing humanity was the attempted character arc, it failed. Anyway. On to the nonsense.

Emily is an artificial consciousness, which is different from
Veronique
Sep 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: r2019
I expected so much from this novel...

And indeed, the beginning was pretty good. Emily’s voice was compelling and I followed her happily enough. Even the premise had potential.

However... once the story went into the thriller portion, around 40% in, it lost cohesion. I’m not a scientist but even I could see that the ‘technology’ portrayed here went into the nonsensical. Once you’ve defined your world/setting, however unrealistic it is, you have to keep to its margins. You can’t start breaking it
OutlawPoet
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a unique book.

It's an SF novel featuring a main character who is an AC (not an AI) - an artificial consciousness.

It's a book about the meaning of humanity and what happens when humanity accidentally creates a God.

And, finally, it's a romance.

It's very much a romance novel, which surprised me. The romance is a unique one, at times disconcerting, but saved by a main character I loved - artificial or not.

I liked this one. I loved the ethical and moral quandaries, was surprised more than onc
Lindsay
Sep 19, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Deeply stupid SF that starts out promising, but quickly descends to levels of implausibility that make The Core and Armageddon look like peer-reviewed scientific papers.

Emily is an Artificial Consciousness that exists in a server farm in a Boston university. Her simulation approximates the life of a human and she can appear in someone's perception if that person wears an interface chip. Humanity is in all sorts of trouble because the Sun is unexpectedly about to enter its red giant phase billion
Bookphenomena (Micky)
This was an unpredictable sci-fi about a suddenly changing earth in the face of the sun turning red giant and an artificial consciousness, Emily. Emily is the protagonist and she’s spent a few years adjusting to humanity, trying to become as human and empathetic as she can.

Emily grew exponentially from a cog in a wheel, a team player in a university scientific department, to working independently for the good of humanity. Her decisions and actions were sometimes questionable and I never knew wha
Rosemary Standeven
This book really grabs you from the first line: “It’s dark, way too dark for the middle of the day. And that’s not where the sky’s supposed to be”.
So, apocalyptic SciFi – like it said on the cover. But, then suddenly you are inside a young woman’s head who is undergoing psychological therapy for a teenage trauma. The world is about to end, and someone is being treated for a long-ago tragic loss. Soon, five billion plus people will be irreparably traumatised – if they are not already. Why bother
K.S. Marsden
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Emily is an artificial consciousness, programmed to read people, and help them with their problems. Threatened with the end of the world, her super-computer and her scientists are enlisted to try and preserve humanity.

I received a free copy from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Emily is an artificial consciousness - not artificial intelligence. She's not really sure she can quantify the difference, but it's very important to her. She was designed by scientists to learn and replicate h
Cathy
Sep 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
Nature versus nurture. AI versus a conscientious being. Trust, ethics, conspiracies, the end of the world. This started like an excellent thriller with strong elements of Hard SF /end of the world / AI. Very promising. Murderbot was cheering me on in the background.

By the time the main protagonists of this story were on the run full tilt, the story crashed. It lost cohesion and turned into a hot mess of uneven pacing, plot bunnies popping up and going in all kinds of directions, teenage romance
Liz Barnsley
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this. Something different and highly engaging but also randomly thought provoking on many levels.
Emily may be virtual but she reads as entirely human, she loves the human race and learns every day about the nuances of that existence. On a dying world where humanity is about to be wiped out Emily lives, grieves, falls in love and just possibly comes up with a way to save human kind.
The writing is beautiful, fully immersing you into this world and the plot is considered yet pacy and addict
Lou
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, now that's what I call one beauty of a book. It's the type of novel that gets under your skin and where you can immerse yourself so fully into a vastly different world that you feel completely changed and bereft when the journey comes to the end; it's been on my mind even weeks and weeks after finishing it, and I know this will be an epic adventure I will remember for a very long time. It's wonderfully engaging and broached profound thought-provoking philosophical questions about humanity- ...more
Maine Colonial
I received a free publisher's review copy.

What a great concept. Emily is a five-year old computer program intended to be an Artificial Consciousness. With special interfaces, people can perceive her as a physical presence. And she has decided to perceive herself as a physical presence and do the things humans do to get through their day—well, except when she just doesn’t have time for all that grooming and eating and drinking stuff.

And time is what Emily has very little of. What with the sun sud
Trike
Initially I was like, “Wow! This is going to be a 4-star read, easy!” And then I was like, “If he sticks the landing, this might actually achieve 5 stars!”

...and then he drives this sucker off a cliff where it explodes into a flaming ball of nonsense. Mark, I gotta ask, did you let your 7-year-old take over partway through? Pretty sure this is how it went:

Wheaton: “So here’s the set-up, kiddo: the sun is dying, but at MIT they’ve created an AI designed to help people get over trauma. It’s a comb
Figgy
Review to come.

In the meantime...

This was the first book that pulled me in after the traumatic loss of my dog, so that's definitely a factor in it's favour.

I felt invested in Emily almost immediately, and she made me laugh and kept me reading.

The book kept me guessing, and I definitely didn't see the last 20% of the book coming.

Will definitely be reading more books by this author in the future!
Kate
Very entertaining and original take on the Apocalypse, featuring a delightful Artificial Consciousness, Emily, who wants nothing more than to save the human race that she loves so much. I think the ending is a bit 'out there', hence four stars and not five, but nevertheless this is an enjoyable science fiction romance. Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Carlos
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book had such a good premise and I expected a lot better than what I got , while the plot is good and innovative I think the main character Emily and the romantic twist is not credible. The ending feels rushed and doesn’t seem like it was part of the same book. I would not recommend this book.
posthuman
I mostly enjoyed this ambitious SF novel with interesting characters and a fresh take on artificial general intelligence, but was disappointed in the ending.

The premise is that our sun is dying prematurely, and humanity's only hope for something of a future after the Earth is destroyed is Emily, the world's most advanced AI. Initially designed for healing and psychotherapy, she is asked to create an archive of the neural maps of every human.

Emily is a brilliantly written, funny and memorable pr
TraceyL
This book is a mash up of lots of different genres. It's a sci-fi thriller with some romance thrown in for good measure, which is especially strange since Emily is a consciousness without a body. But it works.

This book also has a lot of interesting science fiction concepts. It really made me think about different ways humankind "exists" and how it can carry on long after humans die out. It was also interesting that Emily had a strong sense of moral responsibility. She didn't just choose the opt
Beth Loflin
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaway-shelf
I wanted to like this book, but for me not a science fiction reader, this book was all over the place. It was a mess that at some points I got lost and couldn’t follow. Artificial conscience, 2 systems fighting over how the world will deal with the ending of the world, a man and computer program falling in love. It was a bit much for me.

I do hope the author good luck and hope others will get it, but for me..... this wasn’t for me.
Emer (A Little Haze)
It's never great when you're just reading a book to merely get to the end. What goes in this book's favour is that I didn't know how it would end... What goes against it is that cringefest that was the epilogue. Add that to the whole weirdness of the artificial consciousness overtaking memory and then talking about agency??? Errrr I'm just not sold on this.

Two stars.
The Nerd Daily
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on The Nerd Daily | Review by Nathalie DeFelice

Drenched in some deeply thought-provoking moral and ethical dilemmas, Emily Eternal manages to deliver a message of hope through Emily, an artificial consciousness designed to help humanity navigate trauma. The book has an eerie feel throughout that might unnerve some readers, but if you’re willing to stick out the journey, it might give you quite a bit to think about how humans could potentially survive both in space and inhabitin
Cj Zawacki
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emily is an AI program. Well, more of an Artificial Consciousness designed to be a therapist in 3D.Able to be seen with an interface, Emily can correct human errs of her programer. But, Emily was actually taught not to take over any human conscience.
Emily developed at a phenomenal speed,until in her 5th year, our sun made a shift from a yellow dwarf to the start of a red giant
EMILY ETERNAL, by M.G. Wheaton, combines the elements from "WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE" and "SING THE BODY ELECTRIC," into an
Jen
4.5 actual stars - this was a wonderful foray into what makes a person a person, against the backdrop of an apocalyptic earth and all the politics that go with it. It does get slightly over dramatic at the end, but overall it's a great story.

Therese Plummer was her usual excellent self in the audiobook performance. She was the perfect voice for Emily.
Shalini | Book Rambler
“It’s dark, way too dark for the middle of the day. And that’s not where the sky’s supposed to be.”

Emily Eternal tells us the story about Emily, an A.C.(Artificial Consciousness) who has to save the world from the sun which has begun to die. Well, not “die” exactly…but

"..it made a sudden and explosive phase shift from a yellow giant to a red giant."

This can happen actually, in reality, and I read about in this school and it freaked me out. Basically, when the Sun starts to “die” out, it
Heather Brock
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-won, giveaways
Okay, here it is. The more I've thought about this story, the more I like it. I've bumped my rating up to 4 stars, because I did really enjoy this story. I think that I initially had unfair expectations for this book, even though I had read the synopsis and was stoked to read it. Emily is a "good" AI. And while one could argue there isn't such a thing as "bad" AI (which is fair), you do see many stories of AI following their programming to the letter sometimes resulting in catastrophe or horror. ...more
Emma
May 31, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
** I received a copy of this book from the publisher.

I really wanted to enjoy Emily Eternal because the premise sounded really interesting. An artificial consciousness trauma counsellor trying to figure out their purpose during the end of the world. But there was so much I didn't like about the book which overshadowed it.

Firstly Emily's characterisation which was downright weird. It felt like I was seeing the story through the eyes of a teenager. This came across as a serious story written (I'm
Tony Healey
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This novel went in a direction I didn't expect. It's rare that a book exceeds your expectations for both plot and character. It's even rarer that an author allows the emotional journey of the main characters to play out naturally and, in turn, affect the reader in such a deep, meaningful way.
EMILY ETERNAL is expertly written by Wheaton, showing an impressive knowledge of both current tech, and the conceivable trajectory of what is to come. This is a novel of tomorrow that is very much a nov
Tim Nowotny
May 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
An underwhelming experience. Years ago, I heard a talk by China Mieville about how Fantasy and SciFi are not fundamentally different from each other. I see his points but I always had the feeling he oversees something. This book showed be what. Good fantasy gives way to great escapism while SciFi generally tends to follow cause and action and action‘s reaction in all its facets. Sure, both can transcend their genre and then the rules are off the table anyway.
This novel shows that there is anothe
Scottsdale Public Library
Admittedly, I first judged this excellent book by its cover (a striking golden silhouette of a woman)and am I ever glad I began to read this science fiction tale of the Earth facing its extinction. The Sun is failing many billions of years sooner than predicted. We learn how the world's best thinkers try frantically to solve the problem of Sunmaggedon with little success, all through the viewpoint of Emily, an Artificial Consciousness who has amazing scientific skills along with a fully develope ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Readers Unbound: Emily Eternal 9 16 Jul 29, 2019 01:14AM
Goodreads Librari...: Two listings for Emily Eternal 2 15 Apr 02, 2019 07:02AM

• Across the Void
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Do You Dream of Terra-Two?
  • The Last Astronaut
  • Vessel
  • A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World
  • The Light Brigade
  • Salvation Day
  • Finder (Finder Chronicles, #1)
  • Velocity Weapon (The Protectorate #1)
  • The Warehouse
  • A Beginning at the End
  • Here and Now and Then
  • The Future of Another Timeline
  • Meet Me in the Future: Stories
  • Interference (Semiosis Duology, #2)
  • The City in the Middle of the Night
  • The Luminous Dead

Articles featuring this book

Where do you go for fantastical, must-read book recommendations? This summer we're turning to the experts of illusion,...