Start by marking “Emily Eternal” as Want to Read:
Emily Eternal

Emily Eternal

Meet Emily, "the best AI character since HAL 9000" (Blake Crouch). She can solve advanced mathematical problems, unlock the mind's deepest secrets, but unfortunately, even she can't restart the sun.

Emily is an artificial consciousness, designed in a lab to help humans process trauma, which is particularly helpful when the sun begins to die 5 billion years before scientist
Expected publication: April 23rd 2019 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Emily Eternal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emily Eternal

Blake Crouch
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Visionary. The best AI character since HAL 9000.
OutlawPoet
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a unique book.

It's an SF novel featuring a main character who is an AC (not an AI) - an artificial consciousness.

It's a book about the meaning of humanity and what happens when humanity accidentally creates a God.

And, finally, it's a romance.

It's very much a romance novel, which surprised me. The romance is a unique one, at times disconcerting, but saved by a main character I loved - artificial or not.

I liked this one. I loved the ethical and moral quandaries, was surprised more than onc
Kindling Micky
This was an unpredictable sci-fi about a suddenly changing earth in the face of the sun turning red giant and an artificial consciousness, Emily. Emily is the protagonist and she’s spent a few years adjusting to humanity, trying to become as human and empathetic as she can.

Emily grew exponentially from a cog in a wheel, a team player in a university scientific department, to working independently for the good of humanity. Her decisions and actions were sometimes questionable and I never knew wha
K.S. Marsden
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Emily is an artificial consciousness, programmed to read people, and help them with their problems. Threatened with the end of the world, her super-computer and her scientists are enlisted to try and preserve humanity.

I received a free copy from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Emily is an artificial consciousness - not artificial intelligence. She's not really sure she can quantify the difference, but it's very important to her. She was designed by scientists to learn and replicate h
Rosemary Standeven
This book really grabs you from the first line: “It’s dark, way too dark for the middle of the day. And that’s not where the sky’s supposed to be”.
So, apocalyptic SciFi – like it said on the cover. But, then suddenly you are inside a young woman’s head who is undergoing psychological therapy for a teenage trauma. The world is about to end, and someone is being treated for a long-ago tragic loss. Soon, five billion plus people will be irreparably traumatised – if they are not already. Why bother
Liz Barnsley
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this. Something different and highly engaging but also randomly thought provoking on many levels.
Emily may be virtual but she reads as entirely human, she loves the human race and learns every day about the nuances of that existence. On a dying world where humanity is about to be wiped out Emily lives, grieves, falls in love and just possibly comes up with a way to save human kind.
The writing is beautiful, fully immersing you into this world and the plot is considered yet pacy and addict
Kate
Very entertaining and original take on the Apocalypse, featuring a delightful Artificial Consciousness, Emily, who wants nothing more than to save the human race that she loves so much. I think the ending is a bit 'out there', hence four stars and not five, but nevertheless this is an enjoyable science fiction romance. Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Figgy
Review to come.

In the meantime...

This was the first book that pulled me in after the traumatic loss of my dog, so that's definitely a factor in it's favour.

I felt invested in Emily almost immediately, and she made me laugh and kept me reading.

The book kept me guessing, and I definitely didn't see the last 20% of the book coming.

Will definitely be reading more books by this author in the future!
Cj Zawacki
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emily is an AI program. Well, more of an Artificial Consciousness designed to be a therapist in 3D.Able to be seen with an interface, Emily can correct human errs of her programer. But, Emily was actually taught not to take over any human conscience.
Emily developed at a phenomenal speed,until in her 5th year, our sun made a shift from a yellow dwarf to the start of a red giant
EMILY ETERNAL, by M.G. Wheaton, combines the elements from "WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE" and "SING THE BODY ELECTRIC," into an
Tony Healey
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This novel went in a direction I didn't expect. It's rare that a book exceeds your expectations for both plot and character. It's even rarer that an author allows the emotional journey of the main characters to play out naturally and, in turn, affect the reader in such a deep, meaningful way.
EMILY ETERNAL is expertly written by Wheaton, showing an impressive knowledge of both current tech, and the conceivable trajectory of what is to come. This is a novel of tomorrow that is very much a nov
Heather Brock
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-won, giveaways
Okay, here it is. The more I've thought about this story, the more I like it. I've bumped my rating up to 4 stars, because I did really enjoy this story. I think that I initially had unfair expectations for this book, even though I had read the synopsis and was stoked to read it. Emily is a "good" AI. And while one could argue there isn't such a thing as "bad" AI (which is fair), you do see many stories of AI following their programming to the letter sometimes resulting in catastrophe or horror. ...more
Beth Loflin
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaway-shelf
I wanted to like this book, but for me not a science fiction reader, this book was all over the place. It was a mess that at some points I got lost and couldn’t follow. Artificial conscience, 2 systems fighting over how the world will deal with the ending of the world, a man and computer program falling in love. It was a bit much for me.

I do hope the author good luck and hope others will get it, but for me..... this wasn’t for me.
Georgia
I don't read alot of science fiction books as I find them hard to understand with all the big scientific words and jargon so I don't know how Emily Eternal compares to other books in the genre so I'm judging this book on how I felt reading it.

First off I want to say I loved the cover of the ARC and I love the final copy cover even more. It's so vibrant and fits the story perfectly. I probably would buy this book for the cover alone.

Emily is the outcome of a labs work on Artificial Consciousness
Kath
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I only meant to start this book yesterday evening but it gripped me so much that I found myself unable to put it down, read way past my bedtime, and stayed awake later than that as I found myself thinking about it long after lights out. Sorry to my boss and co-workers if I'm rubbish and grumpy at work today!
So, Emily... she's an AC - Artificial Consciousness. Not to be confused with an AI cos she is so much more. She tags onto people and is able to "read" them. Emotions and thoughts and has been
Kee Hoo
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Emily Eternal by M.G. Wheaton is a fast paced novel. Sit down, fasten your seatbelts-it's going to be a wild ride!

Emily is a super computer personality. She is able to communicate with people of her team (at a college) who wear an interface chip, fastened to the back of their neck. If you have the chip, she shows up as a person. Her creator Nathan Wyman has made Emily to be an artificial consciousness, (AC), to interface with human minds.

They have a college program that is called iLab, that is w
Jess Munnery
I really like the concept, full review to come.
Avery Delany
Thank you to Netgalley and Hodderscape for providing me with an advanced reader copy of This Place in exchange for an honest review
Tahlia
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Gifted)
Blog Post: https://museofnyxmares.wordpress.com/...
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/museofnyxma...

4.5/5 stars.

*I was sent a copy by the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion.

I have been trying to get into more Sci-Fi books lately and when I read the synopsis for Emily Eternal, I was so happy to come across one that sounded so intriguing. I generally find that Sci-Fi novels tend to either be hit or miss for me, as sometimes the Sci-Fi aspect can get a bit overwhelming. And the
Penelope
An interesting and emotive novel about A.I and the end of the world. A bit more romance than I expect but enjoyable none the less. Perhaps a little rushed in the ending but filled with original and thought provoking ideas that kept me turning pages. A good Sci-fi novel for people who don't usually read Sci-fi.
Johan
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book has a really interesting premise, and it started out focusing on ideas. Great, just what I wanted! But then it quickly turned into a page-turning adventure, which was a bit of a let-down. I would have preferred something else. But it was still quite the good read, and there are still things to think about in there.
Chrys
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolute pleasure to read, so easy to lose track of time and just get ensnared in the narrative.
I'm a huge fan of speculative fiction that focuses on AI or in this case AC, artificial consciousness, and this was one of the best yet. There were some concepts that I struggled to visualise at first but I was so swept up in the action that I just went with it and it all clicked.
A truly remarkable and enjoyable book, I'm going to be recommending this to everyone. Especially fans of Blake Crouch an
Fred
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would never have imagined that I would enjoy a novel with a protagonist who was not human. However, I enjoyed this very unique science fiction book, which focuses on the problems humans face on earth, as told by a narrator whose uniqueness is outpaced only by her curious humanity; curious, because Emily is an AC, or Artificial Consciousness. She is housed in a mainframe, but can appear as human to those around her who are outfitted with an interface chip. Emily is so uniquely different as a ch ...more
Doon
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this would have a good grounding in science, given the author’s occupation, but its science is hand wavey, and often fantastical. I like Emily as an MC, and her relationship with Jason is the most interesting aspect of the book for me. The rest of the plot just like the movie Transcendence mashed up with Neal Stephenson’s Seveneves.
Julie Garner
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, sf-fantasy
I received an ARC of this title.
It’s the end of the world...literally. The only one who can save the human race is an AI. Emily lives in a virtual world and through an interface is able to exist in the real world communicating with humans who are wearing the interface. She has become such a great voice of humanity that there are some wanting to take her out of the equation and finish the way they want.
When her creator is murdered in front of her, Emily slips away. She wakes up in the company of
Emma Spence-Hirst
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75. Thank you to Hodder for gifting me with an arc in exchange for my honest review.
This book is all about an Artificial Conscience named Emily. The main plot of this book is that the sun is dying and the humans have to figure out a way either to fix it or achieve survival for the human race. Emily is the product of a group of scientists desperately trying to figure out the best method for human survival and or evolution. Emily is coming to grips more and more of her emotions and conciousness
Meagan R.
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Emily Eternal is a fast paced read that fits squarely with a lot of new ‘AI’ science fiction. It extrapolates a complicated future in terms of how we use technology and in what context it matters.

Emily is an advanced artificial ‘consciousness’ and functions as the protagonist of the book. The problem is already apparent when the reader enters the story. The sun is expanding early. The world is ending. This forces the plot and the protagonist into a high stakes context that already has to grapple
Nikki
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I thoroughly enjoyed Emily Eternal - it wasn’t quite what I expected having read a short excerpt from the start, but much more in line with the blurb. (I know, I know, obvious!!) I really liked the way the Artificial Consciousness melded with futuristic “real” life in this, and how the science worked. Most of it seemed plausible, given we don’t know how far in the future it’s set. My biggest science issue was actually how
Tim
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Emily is an artificial consciousness (which is apparently different to artificial intelligence) who has spent five years working with her creators in order to help humans process trauma. Except this research is put on hold as humanity confronts the ultimate trauma. Planet Earth faces extinction as the sun has begun to expand more quickly than expected. With the sun close to dying, the end of humanity edges closer.

Emily is a fascinating character. It's quite hard to imagine what it would be like
Andover Library
This was an enjoyable little dystopian sci-fi romp. It kept me entertained and didn't require too much knowledge on my behalf.

Emily is an artificial consciousness (not AI) who has been developed primarily as a therapist, shes a very effective one, being able to enter peoples memories to guide them through the trauma they remember and point them on the right path. Emily's creator Nathan wants her to learn to be as Human as possible so she showers, dresses, eats and 'walks' across campus (with a
J.L. Slipak
MY THOUGHTS:

I received this book in exchange for my honest review.

Ya.

The premise was soooo good.

The story had so much potential, but the writing got in the way. What I mean by that is during the dialogue, you really needed to pay attention to completely understand who was speaking. Then the plot veered and I was lost or working so hard to figure it out, the rhythm of the story faltered.

I’m a huge sci fi lover. I read as much of it as I can get my hands on. However, it has to be done carefully t
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Magic for Liars
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • Delta-v
  • Blood Orange
  • Gates of Stone (Lord of the Islands, #1)
  • Motherland
  • How to Be Remy Cameron
  • The Library of Lost Things
  • The Blameless Dead
  • The Perfect Plan
  • Call Your Daughter Home
Born in Texas, M.G. Wheaton worked in a computer factory assembling servers and PCs before becoming a writer. His forthcoming sci-fi novel, EMILY ETERNAL, arrives in April, 2019 from Grand Central Publishing.

Before turning to novels, Wheaton also worked as a screenwriter on movies like the Michael Bay-produced FRIDAY THE 13th and Kristen Stewart-starring THE MESSENGERS as well as other scripts for